Thread: Schuyler v's The Original Electronicum

Schuyler v's The Original Electronicum

Ok the battle of the single skilled weapons I guess.
    in the right corner we have the:
    Schuyler Bow http://auno.org/ao/db.php?cmd=view&id=159023&t=ag
    and in the left corner is:
    The Original Electronicum pistol http://auno.org/ao/db.php?cmd=view&id=160292&t=ag

pistol maybe a light blue skill, but the the bow uses physical init, which is also light blue for us Doc's.

so which one is the best?

All comments welcome in any capacity.

cheers.
    Last edited by Cleo; Feb 18th, 2003 at 03:03:02.

Ranged Init is easier to buff than Phys Init (cough TIM cough), as is Pistol vs. Bow.

The Schuy looks like it does a bit more damage over time, by a smallish margin, and assuming 100% agg/def... 600 init won't make a Schuy fire at max speed at even 50% by a good margin. But then, it will also get parried a lot (no word on when FC will fix this). Neither will make you a damage dealer, but Schuy will do a bit more damage, while being harder to get equipped at lower levels (Docs TL4 cap Bow at 450 or so, which makes it impossible to use a ql200 Schuyler, I think, and difficult to use even a 180 (with full implants, +132 wrangle, Dragon sleeves, and the band you can do it in TL4), until into TL5). I'd also point out that it is more realistic to find a good pistol with specials than a bow, as bows with specials are generally poor (tiny clip size = not good with healing a lot).

I went with Schuy for style, but I am also considering IPRing to pistols, should the opportunity present itself. I don't have any personal experience with the Elect., though, so hopefully someone else can fill in that blank.

*twoing*
    Aleksei "Zagadka" Garcia - Savior, Council Clerk
    Cindi "Razishlyat" Bolieu - Advisor Eternalist

At lvl 200 bow caps at 537 and costs 351k ip in total to max, whereas pistol caps at 657 and costs a mere 232 k ip to max, BUT you can implant shining and bright bow without conflicting with any doc skills (+165) and you can only implant shining pistol if you give up shining ranged init or shining nano regen... bright/faded conflict with mc/ts....

tough choice but personally i'd go with pistol because of pain of patricia... but thats just me, i'm tainted by my MCS past, i like high average damage and burst

hmm I thought it would be a tougher decision than this, but so far the favorite is the pistol.

having the choice to use pistol specials later on will give me more choice and flexability (I'm 92 atm)

what about bow special attack and special arrows?

Bow specials are so completely and utterly not worth it, it goes from being funny right through not being funny, and straight back to being funny.

If you want to look at damage, really, pistol and bow aren't the way to go, though between the two, you have better chances with pistols. There are a number of nice weapons Docs can use, some more easily than others.

But between the two, pistols are just much more versatile than bows.

One other nice thing I found about pistols was that you always have the option of switching to buffing pistols, like the SPP. This can help a lot for a Solitus getting CH before 155-160 (a Massive Cannon Turret and proper implanting does most of the work), but loses pretty much all importance by level 150, when you're selfcasting everything anyway and you might as well go with a "real" gun, because you ain't got much else to do.

Originally posted by Cleo
    what about bow special attack and special arrows?
    You can safely ignore their existence.

Originally posted by cold

You can safely ignore their existence.
    confirming as bow ma

Vhir / 215 Doctor
    Nynke / 205 Agent
    Letah / 200 Doctor
    Firerose / 200 Soldier

Yeah I'm back, no need to ask your ebay-check questions

Originally posted by Razishlyat
    There are a number of nice weapons Docs can use, some more easily than others.
    Are you telling me I'm now going to have to ask the BIG bad question? "what is the best weapon for Docs"
    I can start a new thread if you like?

but seriously, do you think sites like antiguardians item dbase is a good place to judge weapons by? or is it more of a case of practicable experence to find the best weapon?

from what I gather from the item dbase rifles & shotguns aren't much better than the Schuyler & Electronicum except they generally have special attacks.
    I'm currently using pistol with burst/fling, and don't really find the specials that special.

Originally posted by Cleo
    Are you telling me I'm now going to have to ask the BIG bad question? "what is the best weapon for Docs"
    Paging Dr. Jynne. Dr. Jynne to the library, Dr. Jynne.

At low levels, MA. At high levels, (TL5), some people are absolutely convinced that their weapon totally pwns anything else. Especially them wacky Manex docs.

but seriously, do you think sites like antiguardians item dbase is a good place to judge weapons by? or is it more of a case of practicable experence to find the best weapon?
    Any weapon is restricted by your knowledge of it and how to use it. You also have to be carfeful with the settings on Auno and Jayde's databases. Jayde (for some reason) defaults target AC to 0, and Auno goes at 3000, which is pretty low. The attack rating, speed, crit chance (Jayde 3%, Auno 15%) all need to be set correctly to get a realistic damage output... and also note that Auno goes by a 10 second timer, Jayde by 30 second, which can affect the important of specials (like a burst recycling at 15 seconds versus 20).

Also, <warning: Understatement coming> AO is buggy. Healing can jam a reload proc faster than anything else.

from what I gather from the item dbase rifles & shotguns aren't much better than the Schuyler & Electronicum except they generally have special attacks.
    I'm currently using pistol with burst/fling, and don't really find the specials that special.
    Oh, they are. :-) Missing specials hurts on the Schuyler. In a group that takes down a mob real quick, the alpha is important, and the same deal with long term damage on bosses.

ok when I played 6- 8 months ago crit guns where the " in thing"

now from what I gathered from reading the forums, and seeing the majority of high level docs running around rubi-kai with red tank armor and rifles, that Aim shot is the "in thing", whats the deal with this?

to use AS you also need a high concealment right? and I also assume it would need to be completly maxed and buffed/implanted etc...

Aimed shot is popular because it does good damage and tends to recycle fairly quick.

Concealment is not really needed to do an AS. In PvP, sneaking is completely irrelevant. You can fire at the same person while standing toe to toe every time the special attack becomes available. In PvM, you do have to try to surprise the mob. Concealment can come into play here, but it also works fine if you AS the mob as soon as you see it - the mob might not have noticed you yet. After you AS the mob, you will not be able to do so again as long as you stay in line of sight of the mob. If you have teammates distracting the mob, you can go hide somewhere and then come out and attack again.
    Heals - they're not just for tradeskills anymore
    Hypos omni doc RK2 <-- stupid enough to have thought that going past level 150 would help her be a better doc
    Phlair omni mp RK2 solo char
    Nerfbat omni enf RK2 awarded the hammer of braveness
    Shadow Ops

Oh!! that would make AS a pretty damm good special in pvp , and with my limited knowledge I would have to say the best.

though this brings the topic back to bows, alot of them have AS why choose a rifle over a bow? though I have never pvp'd I would assume range would be the governing factor, but surley theres ways around that.

bow is parried and evaded usually has a MUCH smaller clip size and does laughable dmg side from the shuyler which is slow has no specials and abnormally high bow req
    BettyRoss (A) dont ever turn yer back on a shady motha backstab4lyfe
    Gwend (A) The original complete healing engineer
    wtts :: prof ring quests

the "i dont need punctuation" army

Thumbs up

Pistol, nothing says class like a gun!

Not only does it offer a sleek look,without the bulky size of bows, you can have a lot more options with pistols. You can do lots of stuff with your free hand!

At no expense of IP, you can use a ql 1 pistol that adds 5 to intelligence. Useful for equiping armor or that last crucial point to use a nano. This line of weaponry also extends to the Jess

Later on when you get a little more IP, you can invest some to use a Customized desert reet in your off hand. Nice minimum dmg and burst/fling on this baby. I use it with my PoP at some high level bosses where i only hit for the minimum.

Soldiers and BENEVOLENT ENGINEERS have pistol buffs to help you equip your pistol.

The Soldier buff adds a measly 40 points, while the MIGHTY ENGINEERS have a magnificent 120 buff.

Have a mentioned the WONDERFUL ENGINEERS?!... i'll go back to my corner now.
    Rosbif Advocate for the enslavement of Octodogs as an alternative form of energy.

Hey, you know who are cool?

Engineers.

actually I've droped the pistol idea completly now.

it's now between the bow and rifle.

unfortunatly the Caterwaul and X-3 are not an option, because I think they are ugly.
    so my decision isnt any easier, though I still have another 8 levels to get to 100 before any of this becomes a reality anyway (IPR).

Originally posted by Rosbif
    At no expense of IP, you can use a ql 1 pistol that adds 5 to intelligence. Useful for equiping armor or that last crucial point to use a nano. This line of weaponry also extends to the Jess
    So where can I get myself a Jess?