Thread: Guide: Attack Rating/Defense rating

Guide: Attack Rating/Defense rating/Evades

Revised 4/20/03

Alot of new players don't understand Offensive and Defensive ratings of there characters. Some players are not sure why there weapon with a attack rating of 10 is unable to hit that Very Very Red mob.

Please note: this Thread contains links that lead off the Anarchy Online website(mainly to Jayde's item/nano database), Funcom does not endorse or maintaine the web sites used in this thread, if you have problems veiwing any of the sites in links below its is possible that a) the site no longer exists, b) the site is getting hit with heavy traffic, c) i put the wrong url in , send me a pm to correct.

The following attempts to explain how offensive and defensive ratings work and examples of how to incress them and what effect those incresses have. This information is what i have gathered while playing AO, some of this information may be incorrect or im simply looking at the wrong effect ability. A lot of this information is based on the data in AO and speculation on anything else we dont have exact info on. you will notice the term "Attack" and "Offensive" are interchangable.

What Offensive, Defensive and Evades mean.
    Attack/Offensive rating
    Your Offensive rating is basically how good at attacking you are, IE if some one hits you with a Buff that modifys your attack rating by 40, then it will be as if you were using the weapon with 40 more points into the skills that it uses to calculate the efftiveness of your attack; NOTE: Over Equiping rules still apply since its "as if" you had 40 more points

Defensive rating
    Deffensive rating is a whole nother story, there is basically 0 documentation on what this does, and the little that there is is usally not really clear. I think it was simply is ment to Negate the effects of your attacks Attack Rating(which would make sense.), possibly it may function as a Quasi Modifyer to your Evades and/or AC with out acutally modifying anythign visual.

Evades
    Evades are ones ability to basically duck out of the way of harm, the higher the number the better you are at being slippery. you usally get hit alot less than you normally would if you had a lower evade skill. You will notice at higher levels, critical hits start becoming a common thing if you start slacking in your evade skill.
    Evades come in three flavors, Ranged/Close Combat/Explosions.

Dodge Ranged - Helps you to be like super man and dodge a speeding bullet. If your a melee class combatant the this might be your closely watch evade since you will have to deal with Roots and/or Snares. If you plan on(or find your self) fighting mainly Ranged weapon users(like Soldier,Agent,Fixer,Adventuer) this skill can help lower there long ranged damage pumped into you. You may not be super man but if you dont fly like him your sure to be seeing red.

Evade close combat - Melee weapons and Fists will get checked on this evade, This helps you be like Jacki Chan and does those swords, clubs, punches and other weapons/attacks that do not use Ammunition. If your a ranged weapon user this might be your top evade, It really depends on your ability to root, Rooters usally will not need this skill since you can root some one using melee 30m away while they sit/stand there helpessly as you pop off shots long distance. On the other hand, Enforcers have the ability to Rage which normally Always breaks any root/snare/dot that has been uploaded into his Ncu. Now off and away young grass hopper.

Duck Explosions - This Skill is rather anoying to have as a evade, It basically deals with your ability to Duck/Tumble/Whatever out of the path of a explosion. If one of your buddies sets off a explosion, this is the one that tells how hurt you get, or if you get hurt at all. On top of that, This is the Skill that Shotguns Normally use, Shotguns are the pinical weapon of a Trader, When your Deprived, Ransacked & Root this is what they get to punch through at. This is usally the most nelgected Evade of the 3, usally i tend to keep mine at 100 less than the other two. This skill is basically here to tick you off till you can max it, usally your going to lose alot of exp to one of those "grr, if i only invested more in XXX so en so wouldnt have critical hit me for 1k 4 times in a row" situations.

Rubi Ka World Examples:
    Attack rating
    Lets say you are using a True katana, it uses 100% of 2he as its attack skill. For a True Katana that is self equip'd naturally gives you a rating of at least 847(since it is 100% 2he and the min 2he to equp is 847), if a adventuer cast Grinning hunter on you then that will add another 25 ATk which is like haveing a 2he skills of 863, if you cast the expertise buff and add another +20 your attack rating is now 883. What this means is that this character would have a 5% incress in chance to hit, Possibly even chance to critical.
    This is like if you raised your 2he skill to 883, when its really 847, the small diffrence may be the diffrence between Hit and Miss in those high level boss rooms.
    Evades
    Now if that same Adventuer Casts Leader of the Pack and we'll say this player has there evades at rougly 550, with leader of the pack it would incress that players evades to 630, this would result in basically lower you chance to get hit by 13% OR possibly lower you chances to get hit critically.
    Defensive Rating:
    for this one we are going to look at everyone favorite profession in ao, The Smurf, erm i mean Fixer. They are basically the only profession that can get there defense rating higher than any other profession in AO. how can they do this, The Dreaded Grid Armor, It comes in 4 diffrent forms but for this thread i will be talking about Grid Armor Mk IV.

Grid Armor Mk IV
    Add All Def +2100
    ALL AC +2000
    Evades +150

Well lets say we have MrFixer wearing GA4 and has all his/er Evades raised to say 900, when the fixer puts on the grid armor his/er evades will raise up to 1050, also the def incresses 2100 points.

Now given that fact that Grid Armor Incresses AC, Evades and Defensive Ratings its hard to figure out what exactly does what.

We know the maximum Damage will be 200, points lower from the ac(100AC lowers dmg 10 points)

The incress in Evades may have given the fixer a additional15% chance to dodge attacks.

The Attack Rating of the Player attacking Mrfixer may be lowered by 2100 or maybe 210 points.

PLease Note: The %'s are just what i get based on the numbers, the incress or decress in chaces is based on a prior level Vs a higher/lower level after modifyers are applied, this is by no means concreate.

Items/Nanos to incresses your Offensive or Defensive rating.
    Mainly nanos are the means to incress atk or def ratings. there are a couple of items in the world that will help you incress these two hidden stats but they are either too hard to aqquire or to expensive to buy for the average player(NS/GA anyone?)
    Click here to see a list of items/nanos that incress your Attack Rating
    Click here to see a list of items/nanos that incress your Defensive Rating
    Click here to see a list of items/nanos that incress your Evade Close combat skill
    Click here to see a list of items/nanos that incress your Dodge Ranged skill
    Click here to see a list of items/nanos that incress your Duck Explosion evasion skill

Heres some Rule of the Thumbs that might help you out
    • The Higher the offense/atk rating the more crtiticals and more damage you do on avg and the higher chance you have to hit some one with high evades.This should be obivous.
    • Try to keep your evades at AT LEAST half of your attack rating.
    • When you get into the higher levels evades become more important than AC simply because you have to take dmg to benefit from AC, with Evades you simply dont take the dmg if your get your skill up high enough.
    • You should max your evades when ever possible to do so with out depriving IP from other skills, so just try and keep it at 50% of your attack rating untill you hit title caps or around level 130/140ish, earlier if you are primarly a Tank.
    • Even though you may not know your Defensive Rating, you can always see your attack rating in your status window above your health and to the right of your AC listing.
    • This information assumes everyone in the above description has there "AGG/DEF" bar if set to 50%
    • Setting your "AGG/DEF" Bar to 100%(Full AGG) will usally negate the effects of a high Evades and possibly Defensive, which incressing the effects of your Attack/Offensive rating.
    • Setting your "AGG/DEF" bar to 0%(Full DEF) Will Usally Negate the Effects of a high Attack/Offensive Rating While incressing the effects of your Defensive Rating and possibly your Evades.

Laters i hope this helps, if anyone can correct the data above due to any errors i made please contact me. if any or all of the data is incorrect please contact me so i can update it with correct info.

Feel free to post comments, suggestions, thoughts, speculations, etc etc etc etc...........
    Last edited by Xyberviri; Apr 20th, 2003 at 09:53:29.
    ~I am the Virtual Virus

Two notes

1) A note on the example:

Although right in the broad principles (higher attack rating=higher chance to hit and to crit, higher defense rating/evades=lower chance to be hit and to be critted), I can spot one or two technical mistakes in your example.

Your calculations are as if the QL of the weapon affected the chance to hit and crit. This is not the case. If it were, we would all be wielding QL1 weapons to crit each time.
    Instead, the chance to hit and crit is coming from the comparison of the attack rating of the offender versus the defense rating of the defender.
    The QL of the weapon intervenes only afterwards, to determine how much damage was done if there was a hit.

Please note again that is is only a comment on the numbers that you have given in the example paragraphs. The principles are totally correct.

2) Further on attack rating

Attack rating doesn't only increase your cance to hit and crit, it also increases your damage. The base damage of the weapon (showed in the statistics) is multiplied by
    (1 + Attack Rating/400)
    Therefore, at 400 in attack rating, you are doing double the damage, at 800 the triple, ...

For example if you did an average of 3 damage per shot on the leets with your first weapon, you will do an average of 6 damage per shot when you reach an attack rating of 400. Of course, by that time I hope that you will have found another weapon...

Cheers.
    Concealment is bugged in PvM: hit sneak two times after you zone. Only then you will be able to sneak properly.