Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 accounts, on same computer

2 accounts, on same computer

HI i have 2 accounts in ao and i would like to play both accounts at the same time, is there any way to do this? it just crashed on me when i tryed it. i have a gf4 p4 215gb
    Ianetk-----94 Enf RK1
    Fethd-------59 MP RK1-dead
    Soloes------55 Eng RK1-dead

Yes its possible. You need to install AO twice to different directories. You should then not receive an error about the client being already in use.

In fact I will be doing this on the weekend myself.
    Gimme sammich!!1

Reborn Sammich

I would also like to do this, but when you go to install AO a second time the installer wants to uninstall the game. And if I just make a copy of the AO folder, and attempt to open a second anarchy.exe it just highlights the one I already have open.

What do we have to do FC to run two accounts on the same computer?

you dont have to isntall 2 copys of ao to run 2 account on 1 machine i do it all the time when you start the second one a box opens that says anarchy is alrdy running would you like to run another just hit yes all you have to do.

I had to work this out a while ago - there are three methods:

1) Install two copies - you use the Test Server tool for this. Never done it.

2) Run the same install twice, changing process priority - difficult and it didn't work for me.

3) The method I use atm; open AO - accept EULA, while it's checking integrety, open AO again, and you'll get another EULA - accept this. You then have two copies and can log both in. The first log in will go ok, but the second wil ask you if you wish to run the second copy - click yes and wait.

Notes - on my 700mhz, 512, GF2 GTS I find it a lot better to run in 800x600, 16-bit for both - this also allows me to see almost all of both windows at the same time. Also, zoning, logging in etc can take longer, be patient.

GL!
    Please allow me to introduce you to the voices:

The voices, the voices! Stop the voices!

The voices are played by, in order of appearance:

Gragoneye - loveable, hugable, with a fondness for violence!
    Servivious - bitter, twisted and a little unhinged..
    Blindhealer - just a little bit out of her depth!

Proud to be First Order!!

What method did you guys use to "create" your second account
    Tergx 220 Atrox Trader | 220 Soli doc | 220 Enf & other toons
    Synergy Factor org ~ APPLY HERE

When readin replies in AO forums, just remember ........ there is no cure for stupid

Quote Originally Posted by Syyceria View Post
    Come on, it took me just 5 minutes to kill a level 178 MA with health-drains and trader pets...our toolset does work

Good news and bad news here...

Good news is you do not have to have AO loaded twice in order to run 2 accounts. You merely load AO with Account 1 (in windows mode or the dreaded alt-tab crash will kill you), alt-tab back to windows, reload AO from the same icon and scroll to Account 2.

You will get an error message stating that there is already an instance of AO running, are you sure... Reply, yes that you are sure and you will have 2 instances of AO running. Remember, this must be 2 separate accounts, and not 2 characters from the same account.

Now for the bad news... You used to be able to run 2 instances with very little performance drop, however recently (last 4 or so months) when running 2 instances of AO I have noticed a SIGNIFICANT performance drop and if you run it too long, 1 will eventually crash.

So, I can confirm that it will work, it will work from only 1 installation of AO, but if you are doing it for levelling purposes, etc.... I would recommend a second PC.

I copied my original AO folder and renamed it, then edited the preferences file (forgot the name) to change the path to the skins to the new directory. I still get the same "Instance" dialogue.

The reason why I did this: can you be sure that AO will not write back to a file on a regular basis? One instance will lock a file for writing, stopping the other from using it. Can you be sure you will NOT get a crash at this time?
    Gimme sammich!!1

Reborn Sammich

i would love to be able to do this! i can start up two instances, but the second instance NEVER connects. i always get the Could not connect error. anyone have any ideas on this one? heck i can run everquest AND ao at the same time, i dont see why my machine couldn't handle 2x ao

Iciriel, MA
    Avogadros, Supa Fly Doctor
    Pfaraday, High Tension Engie
    Nixxon, Gatecrashing Fixer
    Scylax, Explorer

"the question isn't what are we going to do today, the question is, what AREN'T we going to do?" -- ferris bueler

Cool

The key to running two or more instances of AO at the same time lies in the processes' thread priorities... try this:

Start up your first instance of AO.
    Start Windows Task Manager (shortcut: Ctrl + Shift + Escape)
    Choose the processes-tab.
    Find the AO-client process (Should be named clientr.exe, the one hogging all your memory )
    Right-click it and set its priority to Below Normal.
    Now start up your second instance. You'll be notified that AO is already running, and you can choose to start or not... click "Yes".
    As soon as you log, you'll see another clientr.exe-process in Task Manager.
    Set the priority of this to Below Normal as well.
    The two instances will now share your CPU fairly well, and you can happily play both at the same time (missioning like this can be really fun! )

However, I too have noticed that the clients crash more often like this than they used to... started about 3-4 months ago, and it's starting to annoy me

started this two weeks back

GeForce4 Ti4200 (128Mb), AMD 2000, 512Mb Ram, WinXP (latest patches and updates)

I have two monitors attached to Ti4200. Use nVidia's driver to stretch desktop across both screens (not windows -- that one isn't very good, and will keep crashing Anarchy). Desktop resolution set to 2304 x 864 (which turns to be 1152x864 per screen). 16 bit colors.

Run Anarchy once (1024x768 windowed, 16 bit textures, medium quality, compressed textures). Once logged in, run 2nd anarchy. 2nd account (same as everyone else described).

Setting that you can play with is, in System Properties (right click "My Computer" choose properties), Advanced / Performance / Settings / Advanced -- Processor Scheduling switch between Programs and Background Services. Both windows run pretty well but jittering when on "Backgroud Services". When on 'Programs' active window runs pretty well, but inactive pretty bad.

I run this way and actually use alt-tab to switch between, because moving the mouse over very jittery AO is a bit painful.

This setup works a lot better for me than two computers, two keyboards, two mice...

I crash a little bit more often than when I run only one instance of AO, especially if I zone on both of them at the same time. :-)

Ohh, login server timeout has to be 90 seconds -- 2nd copy sometimes gets to wait way too long.

Sidenote: running one AO over 2304 x 864 two screens (must be windowed mode) can get a bit dizzy.... :-) but it's fun.

Another note: ClickSaver talks to whatever AO instance requested missions. :-) BUT while running the Buying Agent, you still have to leave focus on the instance pulling missions.. Gah.

Good luck,
    Wrigz

Shame the ATI drivers don't allow a single desktop. AFAIK you need to have 2 desktops and they link together. I know that AO will not work on the 2nd screen.
    Gimme sammich!!1

Reborn Sammich

2 account

I using 2 account. on don not hav 2 copy of the game.
    i us 3 account at the same time..you logg on as normal. but when a box ask you to start ao anser YES. no problem..

Re: started this two weeks back

quote;
    "AFAIK you need to have 2 desktops and they link together. I know that AO will not work on the 2nd screen."

Abit of a side note to this, It can be fixed so it will work on the second screen aswell. complicated prosedure though

To add to the information pool...

I run two instances of AO at the same time without any problems, both windowed. This is on a P4 2.8GHz (hyperthreading) machine with 1Gb of RAM and a GeForce 3 (I know, I know... :-) ).

I have a single install of AO. I start it up, log in, select a character, get a working AO window on my desktop. Then I double-click my AO icon again and when it asks me whether I am sure I want to run it, I say yes. It brings up the launcher, I log into my second account, select a character and get a second AO window on my desktop. No problems at all.

There is a slight performace penalty to running two instances at the same time, but I assume it's just my poor GeForce 3 struggling. Both of the windows are 1280x960 with more or less medium quality settings.

As I said, it just works :-)

Now if only I could get rid of that highly annoying mouse lag...

i run 2 ao accts all the time. i open ao start my client. i always run in windowed mode, then you can alttab minmize and what not w/out any crashing, then you can start up ao again log in on my second acct. click yes to the message 'ao is already running' and there you go. for the way ao is a memory hogg i just increased my page file for windows and i dont have this problem anymore i think the page file is normally 2 or 3 times the ammount of your ram.. i made my page file about 3gigs only have 768mb ram. i think it was about 900m before
    Bane

Using a 1700xp, on a gf4 ti 4200 128, and can run 3 accounts from same single install. At the same time. Just double click, enter log on info, minimize and double click AO icon again. Enter new log in, answer yes to running 2 instances of ao and viola.
    Don't worry , you're a clanner, those fealings of inadequacy are perfectley normal. They will pass with your death.

It is only our insecurity that makes us competitive and we search for security in other peoples recognition. We will not stop being who we really are, just because we are "better" then others.

Why do you think so many Fish & Game officers and park rangers are wearing cammies and toting m-16's? It ain't cause bambi's gone gorilla.(quote given in referance to current state of poaching in the US)

Originally posted by Tergx
    What method did you guys use to "create" your second account
    Buy a second copy of AO and register the CD key by setting up a new account. I think I have 3 accounts, the original (canceled), this one and the free one-monther that came with Shadowlands (also canceled).

Oh, yeah... You have to pay for each account.
    "On the brink of the dark he stood, with only the dream of the cities, the million books, the spectral images of the people he had loved, who had loved him, whom he had known and lost. They will not come again. They never will come back again."

-Thomas Wolfe (1900-1938), Look Homeward, Angel

performance

I have a P4 3.2 ghz CPU with a gigabyte Radeon X800xt pro graphics card. I think I cause brownouts in my neighborhood whenever I turn on my computer.

So far there has been no performance hits when using two instances. However I am still randomly crashing out of AO. I suspect AO must be caching zones when zoning. I am going to install two separate copies in separate directories to see if the crashing stops.

good news,

i have amd 590ish mhz 300ish ram 80 gb hd and a 10 gb. 80 has my AO.
    i only have one copy of ao installed.

run ao. lower the graphic settings. windowed mode. thenchoose a character log in. as soon as u see the (^) AO logo on loading. MINIMIZE IT.
    now run the same AO shortcut that you have. do the same thing to a diff account.

i usually play on those settings with 4-5! YES 4-5 Accounts ONLINE! NO CRASHES NOT AT ALL. although i uninstalled my nvidia driver first hour i installed ao cause for some reason new GUI is bad.
    but my tops for login is 7. YES a full team and my main account to power level them if u doubt me talk to agui RK2. BUWAHAHAHA ^_^ and ill PL u too if im not busy. or not pling somone else.
    Widdle Bagsy Wubbs Joo.
    Smile and brighten other people's day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast