Thread: The Choice

Post The Choice

The Choice : Chapter 1

As the morning sun rose slowly over Borealis, the stirrings of life once again filled the city. In one of the numerous backyards, in one of many apartment complexes, a young man woke up to see what the new day would bring. Still hung over from a night of partying at the Retreat, he stumbled downstairs to check the mail he neglected the day before.

"Ah, they're both here at the same time. How fortunate," as he found two envelopes similar in size. One was crisp and neat, the other a little less so. Both addressed to him, Michael Hawke of Borealis. He took them inside and upstairs to the small and sparsely furnished room he called home. Sitting down he poured his second cup of coffee for the morning and opened the packages.

The first was addressed from some department in Omni-Tek. Inside was a nice lengthy contract, worded in a kind of legalese that bordered between comprehensible and illegible. Michael could out the gist though.

"By signing this contract, the Undersigned agrees to become a full time employee of Omni-Tek (known herefor as the Company) ... All previous trangressions against the Company by the Undersigned will be deemed inactionable and cannot be used in any form to influence any business or legal matters ... The Undersigned agrees that all products created during his/her employment with the Company are subject to ownership by the Company ... contract expires upon final death ... breaking contract could make the Undersigned liable for all expenses incurred while working for Omni-Tek ... violation of contract may also make Undersigned criminally liable as well."

The other package held another document. The wording was more idealistic and less cold, but the message was very similar. Michael skimmed over the document in a similar fashion.

"I, -----, by signing this document, do affirm that I no longer work for Omni-Tek or any subsidiary ... I swear allegiance to the Clans, and will choose a clan of my own in the near future ... I understand that all previous dealings with Omni-Tek will no longer be held against me, and that any future dealings must be approved by Clan leadership ... "

Michael set both documents on the table side by side. One was on corporate letterhead so perfect it looked sterile, while the other was on a more common paper that was slightly dust colored. Completely different, yet completely the same. Both beckoned the neutral player in this game to finally choose a side. Both documents also made it very clear that once a decision was made that it was for all intents and purposes final. There was no going back to the fence, no getting out of the war once the hat was tossed in.

He set back in his chair, lost in a sea of thought. He hadn't been on Rubi-Ka long, but already he had seen that being a neutral only had a few advantages. True, he could go into almost any city he wanted, but the shopkeepers would turn away and refuse to serve someone unaffiliated. Even the insurance terminals seemed biased, begging for a security code that Michael did not have. Only the handful of neutral cities were friendly on this wartorn planet. Even the Shadowlands, the greatly heralded "new frontier", forced people to choose sides thanks to the conflict between the Ancients. Michael knew that if he wanted to really succeed in this life he had chosen for himself, he would need to pick a side. Neutrals payed for their freedom with a severe lack of choices.

He sipped down the last of the coffee in his cup, poured another, and drifted into a state of contemplation....it seemed that conflict was in this planet's, and thus Michael's, destiny.

(to be continued)

The Choice : Chapter 2

Michael thought about his time on Rubi-Ka. He had learned a lot about the war that divided in planet in two, both on the planet and in the so-called "shadowlands". Try as he may to avoid it, he had found himself caught in the bloody conflict.

He glanced once more at the Omni-Tek application. They offered stability of a sort. 3 square meals, a roof, and dental insurance. All you had to do was surrender some of your rights and suppress some of your free will. Michael sighed...he still remembered the drill. After all, he'd been a company man once. Not for OT, but for another corporation. Not that it mattered, they were really all alike once you got past the letterhead. It was events that occured during his employment there that had brought him to Rubi-Ka in the first place.

"No sense reliving that nightmare," he thought aloud.

Setting aside the Omni-Tek application, he turned to the Clan form. His first few weeks on Rubi-Ka were spent in the Shadowlands, doing experiments for the Jobean scientists. While there he had discovered the Redeemed and Unredeemed, an apparently ancient pair of races. The Redeemed seem to favor the Clans, while the Unredeemed favored Omni employees. Michael had instantly been drawn to the Redeemed, for their naturalistic views coincided with his own. He was convinced that when he got on planet he would sign up with the Clans, so he could support the Redeemed cause.

That was until he went to Tir and had the unfortunate luck to meet one Simon Silverstone and his Sentinels.

At the time, Michael knew nothing of the extremist Clan and their iron grip on the city. All he knew was that, as a neutral, he should be able to travel there safely. How was he to know that he would be ambushed upon arrival by none other than the 'Supreme Commander' himself, and that the chance encounter would send him on his first trip to Reclaim?

Michael shuddered...he could still hear the voice of Silverstone's lieutenant barking out the order to "fire on the filthy neutral". The whine and roar of the weaponry rang once again in his ears, and that final image before he faded off into ressurection sickness remained burned in his mind. Simon Silverstone standing over him, smiling as he pulled the trigger of the gun pointed between Michael's eyes.

"So much for not reliving nightmares..." Michael knew that he could never live under the same label as those who would commit such atrocities.

"No closer to a decision...maybe I should stay a neutral..."

The shrill beep of his comlink snapped him back to reality. Michael reached over and checked the device. The message instantly sent a chill down his spine.

///
    ///ENCRYPTED MESSAGE
    ///FROM: MR. MURRAY, SBC SPECIAL OPS
    ///TO: MICHAEL HAWKE AKA TALONARR
    ///
    ///WE KNOW WHERE YOU ARE. WE NEED A SMALL FAVOR FROM YOU.
    ///DO THIS AND YOU ARE RELEASED FROM CONTRACT.
    ///THE ALTERNATIVE IS A RETURN TO SERVICE, WITH DUE PENALTIES.
    ///PLEASE SEND CONFIRMATION OF RECIEPT WITHIN 24 HOURS
    ///

The comlink fell out of his hand and clattered on the table.

"They found me..."

(to be continued)

The Choice : Chapter 3

The Omni-Tek office felt almost like a tomb to Michael. At this time of night, only whispers and echoes occupied the darkened halls of grey. The quiet whirr of the rotating security cameras was almost soothing, but he knew he would have to be extra cautious. One false move, and the silence would be pierced with the squeals of alarms and the din of gunfire.

Tucked into his corner of shadows, he quickly reviewed the mission specs he had received from his once-former employers. Deep in the bowels of this office building was an Omni research facility, and deep in that facility lay plans for a new product that he was to retrieve and return. The likelihood of interception was small, but in case of that, the orders were to leave no survivors. Given his talents, that wouldn't be a hard objective either. Once he returned with the plans, he was free to go do whatever he wanted. Fail, and his life belonged to that corporation again with no hope of parole.

Putting the handheld back in his pack, Michael closed his eyes and concentrated. The invisible cloud of nanobots surrounding him began to move. Using meditative techniques, Michael issued them commands. They first gave him a working knowledge of the building, so he could get in and out quicker. Next, they created an aura of protection around him, just in case something ambushed him. Finally, they locked into a swirl around him, giving anyone or anything who peered at him the impression that he was nothing more than a common leet. He smiled. All those years of living on his own in the forests paid off, even in the vast wilderness of urban territory.

Quietly, he moved out of the shadow and walked slowly towards the first camera. He knew he had to maintain the normal ground speed of a leet, otherwise the camera would trigger on the abnormal movement. He crept forward in an almost catlike manner, breathing steadily and focusing completely on his task. Slipping beneath, then past the camera, he made his way towards the ventilation shaft he would use to penetrate the building.

Getting into the shaft was simple, but he knew he would have to be extra careful. No way would Omni just leave the shaft unguarded. Clicking on his night vision goggles, he quickly unlocked the grill and wormed into the tight space. As he inched along the square steel tube, he checked constantly for signs of trip-lasers or mines. As he found them, he quickly disarmed them, leaving their inactive husks mutely behind. The breeze blowing through the vents made him think of spelunking and how even a cave "breathes". He reminded himself he needed to take a long vacation after this. Hopefully, his employers would hold true to their word and let him.

As he reached his destination, he unlocked the grill and peered into the hallway leading up to the research lab. Due to some smart thinking on Omni-Tek's side, the vent shaft didn't lead into the lab. That was on a separate system, which was impossible to invade. Due to some other smart thinking, there was a mecha patrol dog standing outside the door to the lab.

"Great," Micheal thought, "I hate those things." He quietly dropped to the floor, his leet form helping to muffle the sound. The dog didn't seem to notice, or care. Concentrating once more, Michael commanded his nanobots. Eyes locked on the dog, he sent them to him to lull the dog to sleep. At first, the dog's eyes widened and glared burning holes into Michael. Then, as the effect took hold, the dog slumped over, tongue lolling out. Michael siezed the opportunity to quickly disarm the door alerts, pick the lock, and slip into the lab. Shutting the door behind him, Michael turned to start searching for the plans.

Just then, a scream echoed inside the room...

(to be continued)

The Choice : Chapter 4

Startled, Michael looked around. Standing on a desk was a young woman, apparently a secretary of some sort. She was currently in the process of screaming loudly, "GET AWAY YOU FILTHY RODENT! EEEEK!". It was then that Michael realized she thought he was a leet, due to his disguise. With a quick thought, he dismissed his stealth form and stood in front of her.

She stopped screaming, but she was still very much frightened. If he could have seen himself, Michael would have probably been a bit shaken too. He was kitted out in full protective armor, a masked helmet hiding any human features. On his back were two large swords, secured so that they wouldn't accidentally set off any alarms. It was those swords that had her attention, as Michael drew them out of their scabbards.

"What are you doing? Please don't hurt me," the woman begged through tears. Michael advanced towards her, swords at the ready. He remembered his mission orders...leave no witnesses. Even if he used his nano abilities to subdue her, she would still remember he was there. The only way to guarantee she wouldn't be a problem was to send her to whatever insurance terminal she had been at last. The resurrection sickness should blur her memories enough to keep him in the clear. He closed the distance, chasing her into a corner where she cowered. As he raised his blade to make a clean cut, she cried out,

"DON'T! I'M NOT INSURED!"

Michael stopped. "Not insured?" he said quietly. "What kind of person isn't insured on Rubi-Ka? Especially one who is an Omni employee." He gazed at her through the lenses of his helmet, trying to discern if it was a trick or not.

She looked up at him, sobbing. "I'm only nineteen...insurance doesn't work until you're twenty one."

"I thought Omni-Tek didn't hire people under age, becaue of the insurance policy." Rubi-Ka was a dangerous place, and its largest employer was always worried about liability. Ever since the Notum Wars broke out, Omni-Tek refused to hire anyone who was uninsurable.

"I'm the daughter of one of the vice presidents in this building. He figured it would be safe here, so he had my records altered so I could be employed." She started sobbing again. "Please, don't hurt me...I'll do whatever you want."

Michael remembered his orders again. He knew if he left her alive, and if she ratted him out to Omni-Tek, he'd not only have OT to worry about but also his employers. They would declare the mission a failure, reverting him back to being a slaved gun to their cause. He drew his blade up again, readying it for the final blow. He would make it quick, but it was a shame she had to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. She screamed again.

Then he saw it. The fear in her eyes...it was the same fear he had felt when he Silverstone had gunned him down. Except, this time, he knew there was no hope for her if he struck. There would be no reclaim waiting at the end of the darkness. If he killed her, he would become just like the man he despised so much. He would damn his own soul.

He put his swords back into their sheathes on his back. He offered his hand to help her up, and she accepted. Once on her feet again, he looked her in the eyes.

"I was sent here to retrieve some information. Help me find it, and I'll let you live on the condition that you never saw me tonight. I wasn't here. If anyone asks, all you saw was a leet. If I find out you told anyone about this, I'll kill you before you reach twenty one. Do we have a deal?"

She nodded, and they quickly set to work.

(to be continued)

((more? kplzthxbye))
    President Anisha "Trisagiona" Kenley of the Desert Winds

"Here is the price of freedom:
    Your every drop of courage,
    ounce of pain, pint of blood.
    Paid in advance."

((ask and ye shall receive))

The Choice : Chapter 5

Michael walked over to one of the desks and proceeded to look through the cluttered papers on it. Hoping for some advice to hasten the process, he turned to the woman he had just chosen to let live. "So, um....", he glanced at her, looking for a name badge or something to identify her.

"My name's Jenn," the young woman said.

"Ok, Jenn, here's what I'm looking for," as he showed her part of his mission briefing. He made sure to cover up any parts that might indicate who had sent him. She looked it over, puzzled.

"That's what you're here for? It's the project that I've been helping on for a couple months now. It's not really that big of a deal. Smith, the main researcher on it, has been having me fill out paperwork for him. I think I know where he keeps the main files. Come on."

She led him to a side office off of the main room. At the door, she pulled out a key card and let herself in. "He lets me have a key, in case there's something important I need to get out of here," she explained. They made their way over to the desk in the center of the room. She tried to open the drawer, but it was locked.

"Here, let me." Michael quickly produced his lockpick again and within seconds he had forced the locking mechanism open. Inside was the usual array of writing utensils and fastening devices. He checked for a hidden compartment and found it. Inside was a datapad, powered down. A quick flick of the switch brought the pad up, another few taps defeated the password protection, and then Michael smiled. This was it, this was the key to his freedom. It never ceased to amaze him how much fuss could be made over the smallest of devices.

"Is that what you came here for?" Jenn asked. She seemed eager to get him out of there. The swords on his back reminded her that he wasn't here as a friend. Plus, it wouldn't look good if it appeared she was willingly helping him.

"Yes, this is it." Michael linked the Omni datapad to his own and downloaded the information. He didn't want there to be any incriminating trace, so he put everything back where he found it. Turning back to Jenn, he said, "Remember our agreement. I was never here."

"I know," she replied. "I don't want to die." They left the side office and returned to the main area. As he prepared to leave, Jenn quietly asked, "I know it's none of my business, but do you work for the Clans?"

Michael glared at her through his helmet lenses. "No I don't. I'd rather not talk about my employers, if you don't mind. I'm hoping this is my last job." He paused, then wondered aloud. "Why did you ask?"

"Because I have family that went to the Clans. I was wondering if you knew them. I haven't heard from them in a while, ever since I applied for this job. They don't want me talking to Clanners, for obvious reasons." She started to cry again, softly this time. She quickly composed herself, as if realizing tears were unbecoming of an Omni-Tek employee. "I'm sorry, it's just that I miss them and this whole stupid war...it's just wrong, you know?"

"Yeah, I know," Michael replied. "I came here hoping to be able to avoid getting caught up in it, but it's looking more and more like I can't avoid it. I hope you hear from your family soon." With that, he turned and opened the lab door.

"FREEZE!" Beyond the door stood one groggy mecha patrol dog. Behind it, two Omni-Pol officers pointed large guns straight at Michael's head. All three looked very unhappy to see him there.

(to be continued)

(( yay ))
    Engineer General Virta, Omni-Pol. Not in active service.

Roleplaying Profile of Jimi "Virta" Hendrix

The Choice : Chapter 6

'Things were going too smoothly,' Michael thought to himself as he stared down the barrel of the gun pointed at him. Silently, he began to take an inventory of every move he made since he entered the building. He had found every trap and disarmed them...could something in the lab office be bugged? He knew he searched them well. Replaying each step over and over, he couldn't figure out what went wrong. How on Rubi-Ka did he end up on the wrong side of two Omni-Pol thugs and a guard dog?

Quickly one of the officers moved towards Jenn, training his weapon on her. "Jennifer Davies, you are under arrest for violation of Omni-Tek contract by committing corporate espionage," he barked at her. She started crying, sputtering out something about never seeing Michael before tonight. The officer coldly replied, "This isn't about the intruder. We've been monitoring you and your boss's transactions for some time. We know you've been helping out the Clan cause by feeding them vital research."

Jenn was caught between anger and fear. She yelled at the officer, "I've never spoken to anyone in the Clans since I started working here! You've got the wrong person...you should be asking Smith about it!" The officer drew back, as if to hit her with his weapon. She cowered and whimpered, "please...I'm not insured."

The officer went back to simply pointing the gun at her. "We've been watching this lab for months, and we knew you'd be here tonight. Omni-Pol wanted a quiet retrieval. We just got lucky and caught you with one of those Clan murderers in your midst. We're going to enjoy torturing him before we send him back to the desert on a reclaim beam."

During the conversation, Michael began assessing the situation. Omni-Pol wasn't here because of him. It was just bad timing that he'd got caught. Still, since he wasn't the center of their focus, this could be turned around. Now that the one officer's attention was on Jenn, that left him the dog and the other officer. Michael quickly came up with a plan to neutralize the antagonists.

Closing his eyes and concentrating once more, he sent his nanos out like an invisible buzzing cloud. The dog was already annoyed for being force calmed by Michael earlier. On his command, his nanos stung the mechadog just enough to push him over the edge. Growling, the dog leaped forward, just as he expected. He caught the dog in midair and rolled backwards into the room, looking like he'd been knocked heels over head. Crashing into the desk, Michael quickly punched the animal away. In a heartbeat, both dog and man sprung up to continue the conflict. The slobbering mess of metaledged claws and fangs lunged forward, jumping to get at his throat. As he rose, Michael drew both swords and executed a flurry of slicing attacks. Sparks and blood flew as the animal fell into several pieces around him.

The officers responded exactly as he knew they would. The dog's seemingly unprovoked attack had thrown them out of routine, and Michael's quick dispatching had also awed them. Taking advantage of the situation, he quickly moved over to the officer with the weapon pointed at Jenn. Calling on his enhanced speed and strength, he yanked the uniformed man away from the girl and moved behind him. Michael reached around and leveled his swords' edges at the officer's throat and gut. If the man so much as sneezed, he would suffer grievous injury.

"Ok, now let's talk real business," Michael said calmly. "The girl is innocent, so she goes free. Once she's out of the building, we can continue our discussion about me. Otherwise, this gets real messy and she'll go free anyway. So what's it going to be?"

The officer that Michael had trapped took a deep breath, almost as if he was steeling himself for the firing squad. Quietly, he said to his colleague, "Do it. You know our orders." The other officer leveled his weapon and squeezed the trigger. A burst of flame and bullets belched obscenely out of the gun, and Jenn Davies fell backwards over her desk in a spray of blood.

(to be continued)
    Last edited by Talonarr; Jan 29th, 2004 at 16:27:01.
    Michael "Talonarr" Hawke
    Clan Adventurer
    Dual Resident of Borealis/Jobe

The Choice

The Choice : Chapter 7

As the muzzle of the gun flashed, a wave of pure rage swept over Michael. He immediately summoned his nanobots into action to reinforce the protective shield around him. He drew the blades he had at the ready across the officer's body. They neatly carved two valleys through the Omni's armor and into his flesh and organs, leaving him speechless and gutted. Shoving the soon-to-be cadaver away, Michael glared at the other officer. "Some Omni-Pol officer you are, killing an innocent..." he said quietly, his voice dripping with murderous intentions.

The other man looked him dead in the eyes, his face showing no emotion. "Who said we were Omni-Pol?" he replied. A smirk almost crossed the man's face as he levelled his weapon at Michael. "You really have no idea what you've stumbled into, do you? Well, you can think about it when you show up at reclaim. Too bad that tart won't be joining you, but she was a bit too young to be getting herself killed like that."

Michael knew enough about psychology to know when someone was trying to get him to make a mistake. Yet, he let his anger well up like a fountain of red lava. Years of discipline came into play as he channeled his fury into action. Michael yelled at the top of his lungs and charged at the thug. Thinking he had succeeded, the armed man fired his weapon again.

Michael sidestepped the spray of bullets faster than even the mechadog had moved to its death earlier. Running at full speed he swung once with his sword and removed the weapon hand of the assasin. Before the man could even react to the loss of the part, Michael swung around behind him and transfixed him through the heart with his other blade. The thug sputtered blood and expired quickly. Releasing his grip on the sword's hilt, Michael watched yet another corpse litter the floor of this once pristine lab.

He rushed over to where Jenn had fallen, preparing his nanos to do emergency healing. Unfortunately, they could do nothing to save her. Her lifeforce had already left her body to whatever place souls go when they are not captured by reclaim. Leaving her, Michael checked the corpses of the men who had killed her for anything that might be useful. He found ID on each of them identifying them as Omni-InternOps, and orders to capture Jenn if possible but kill her if necessary. Michael then realized that this wasn't a 'legal' action after all, but Omni-Tek's attempt to control it's employees through any means possible.

Taking what gear he could sell on the black market, Michael quickly activated his leet form again and snuck back out of the building. He took a deep breath upon reaching the outside. He had made it out physically unharmed, but spiritually something inside Michael had died. For someone who had seen so much death in his life, it was Jenn's passing that affected Michael the most. Even though she was employed by Omni, she had no interest in the war other than the wellbeing of her family. Still, the conflict that defines this place swallowed her up. Her own employers, the 'rightful owners' of Rubi-Ka, had snuffed out a promising young life. There was no hope for reclaim for her, and they knew that. Yet the bottom line was more important than anything.

Michael now knew what he had to do. He crept through the shadows back to the Whompa that had brought him to the Omni city. Soon he would be back in Borealis...

(to be concluded)
    Last edited by Talonarr; Jan 29th, 2004 at 16:26:23.
    Michael "Talonarr" Hawke
    Clan Adventurer

The Choice

Fixerben applauds.

Great story, looking forward to more.

Benjamin "Fixerben" Bacarella - L212 AL10
    Haywood "Brawlking" Jablomy - L220 AL21

The Choice : Chapter 8

Sunset arrived on the next day. After Michael had returned to his apartment early that morning, he had shipped off the data to his employers, tossed his armor aside for later cleaning, and took a hot shower to wash off the funk. He then took a long nap as a reward for getting out of the previous night's situation alive.

He woke up, and went downstairs to once again check his mail. He found a package with no return address. "Well, it's not ticking at least," Michael sighed as he scanned it with his bomb disarm kit. Opening it up, he found an unsigned note.

"You are hereby relieved of duty. You have been a faithful employee. Thank you for your service, and may life treat you well."

Michael wadded the paper up and threw it hard in the general vicinity of the trash can. Faithful employee...what a load of minibull dung. They had manipulated him, used him, and were completely willing to throw him away if the mood suited them. He was sure someone was hoping he'd fail, just so that they wouldn't have to fill out the paperwork to release him. In the long run, to the corporations that's all he was. He was either a resource to be used, or a liability to be eliminated. Everyone and everything fell into those two categories, and there was no middle ground.

As long as Omni-Tek maintained its iron grip, there would always be people trying to destroy it. Human nature defies control, and the stronger the control the harder the defiance. The only true peace would be to somehow get the control loosened. Yet, it's against the nature of a corporation to willing give up that power. They must be...convinced.

He remembered a news article he had read about Omni attempting to reclaim rights over the Jobe portal. To the corporation, the Shadowlands were simply another location to mine and strip for money. It was no wonder the Unredeemed seem to favor them...they had a similar outlook on the world. Given the chance, Omni-Tek would drain both worlds dry and then move on.

Michael didn't hate Omni employees. He just hated what Omni represented. Most of the employees were either blind to the true nature of the company, or they were forcing ignorance so they wouldn't admit what they were supporting. Some, like Jenn, probably saw themselves as neutral, not really supporting the conflict.

Now, he finally understood what Silverstone's motivation was. Yes, it was extremist. Still, there was truth behind the actions. There is no such thing as a neutral. Not on Rubi-Ka. Not ever, for as long as Omni is here. You either help Omni maintain control of the planet, or you help the Clans try to acheive some sort of balance.

Realizing this, Michael returned to his mail from the day before. He picked up one of the forms and tossed it in the trash. With a finality weighing in his heart, he digitally signed the other one and put it in the mail. Try as he may, he had now picked a side. He was officially in the conflict, playing for the only team that stood a chance of saving the planet.

"Freedom to Rubi-Ka," he quietly said.

[END]
    Last edited by Talonarr; Jan 29th, 2004 at 16:25:28.
    Michael "Talonarr" Hawke
    Clan Adventurer

The Choice

OOC

I hope you all enjoyed my little story. Thanks to those who encouraged me, and I'm looking forward to writing more soon!

Time for the signature change...
    Michael "Talonarr" Hawke
    Clan Adventurer

The Choice

OOC:

I really enjoyed it Talonarr!

Too bad you made the wrong choice in the end
    Engineer General Virta, Omni-Pol. Not in active service.

Roleplaying Profile of Jimi "Virta" Hendrix

ooc:
    Yes, really enjoyed it! Thanks a lot
    Anthony "Cogs" McDuff
    Veteran, Cerberus
    220 Supreme Creator : Master of Wheels...the lingerie modeling robot!

John “Blackswords” Rm Stalked about the ruined office looking at the blood and weapon impacts, till finally he got to the Body of Jenn Davies with the two medtechs waiting to take her body away. He reached down and closed her sightless eyes then motioned to the techs.

The techs quickly took her body away on a stretcher. John turned to his friend Martin Davies whose tear-streaked face was still a mask of grief.

“Martin have the two guards who found the intruder been brought here?” He asked?

Martin Nodded.

John then motioned to a Tech who had made Holos of the whole room and several other rooms. The tech came over and handed John a Copy of the Holos.

“Omni-Pol says it was a Clanner who came in and stole the files and killed my daughter.” Said Martin in a sobbing voice. “I know her uncle and family choose to join the clan side but….I never thought that a Clanner would shot my daughter in cold blood.”

John said nothing but behind his mask he ground his teeth, as things didn’t seem to add up right.

“John, Thank you for looking into this I know your Omni-Mining and this isn’t your Dept but I know you once worked for Omni-Pol in a investigator position. Freelance one.”

“No problem Martin. You helped me out when I needed it…I just sorry I wasn’t here to help Jenn.”

Martin just nodded. And moved on.

“Martin have the two guards meet us in your office if you don’t mind.” Spoke John “I need to check some things around here and will be up there shortly. Have them wait on their stories before till I get there.”

Martin nodded again and headed towards the elevators of the building.

John wandered about the other offices leaving several Omni-Pol Investigators to chatter about they’re Clanner Theory alone. After looking at one Vent for a time John took some tape from a desk and lifted dirt and Hair before the vent. He pocketed the Tape and went to the elevators.

Once he reached the office of Martin he found Martin and two fidgeting Guards waiting for him.

“Hello gentlemen.” He greeted them. “If you don’t mind could you tell us what happened last night in your own words?”

John listened with impassive silence as they both described bursting in on an armed Intruder that used Jenn as shield while he stole data and how the firefight erupted when a company Mecha Dog attacked the intruder and everyone started shooting. When the Intruder had killed one of the two guards and the mecha dog, and leaving the other guard was fatally wounded but Jenn was unhurt in the firefight. The intruder Deliberately shot her in cold blood and then the guard who was still alive.

“Thank you gentlemen I sure Omni-Pol will like you to repeat your story to them down in the crime scene.” Spoke John after they finished.

The two looked surprised at the statement. “Your not with Omni-Pol?”

“No gentlemen I’m not. I’m looking into all this as a favor to a friend.”

The two men looked at one another then left the office.

“John do you have any Idea who killed my Daughter?”

“Not yet but I know one thing..”

“What’s that?”

‘Those two are Lying. The intruder was armed with swords not Pistols. One of them shot your daughter but on accident or deliberate I can’t say right now.”

Martin who had been full of grief now surged to his feet in anger and rage and tried to chase after the two men. John caught him with an arm across his chest and spoke.

“No Martin…Not yet at least. If it was an accident in the firefight then it’s a matter for Omni-Pol to correct. If it’s something more Martin we want the man who ordered the death of Jenn. Not the two tools.”

Rage still remained but it was a cold rage and the eyes held thought and reason still.

“So what are you planning John?”

John pulls out the tape with fine bits of hair stuck to it. “I’m going to find the Adventurer that snuck into the place and ask him what Happened. And I’m not going to be nice about it if he did have anything with Jenn’s death.”
    John "Blackswords" Rm
    Boardmember of Omni-Mining
    Adventurer

John “Blackswords” Rm Quietly stalked about the empty apartment looking to see if the owner was in. After a quick sweep of the place he holsters his weapons and starts looking for clues as for where he was or whom he was working for. John finds the crumpled letter with the note “You are hereby relived….” John places the note on the table in the kitchen and then searches further. He pulls the Omni-Tek Application out of the trash and lays it next to the note. John finally finds the orders for Jenn’s Death or capture in his searching.

John takes a seat at the table and has the three items lying there before him. His mind worked with the new Pieces of the puzzle and he didn’t like the results he was coming to but still much more info was needed.

He pulls forth the Personnel file for Michael “Talonarr” Hawke and reads it in the dim lights from the windows. In the front is a little Baggy with hairs in it with an attached report as to the DNA coding of whose hairs it was. John reads the file in detail while he waits.

He stops reading when he hears the door to the Apartment open and someone enters with a weary sigh. John unholsters a pistol and sets it before him. The man enters the Kitchen and comes to a halt at the uninvited guest.

“Welcome Home Mr. Hawke. We need to talk.” John Gestures to the empty chair across from him. “I am needing to know what happened the night Jenn Davies died. And I want the story from beginning to end if you please.”

“And No is not an acceptable answer over this interview.” John finishes with a cold voice.
    John "Blackswords" Rm
    Boardmember of Omni-Mining
    Adventurer