Thread: Idea for a semi-player run shop!

Cool Idea for a semi-player run shop!

Ok call me crazy but I was just reading in a earlier thread here. Now that got me thinking, whenever I'm in Tir (sorry I'm not advertising clans or OT here) I'm spammed by people on the shopping channel. I'd love to turn it off, but every once in a while theres a truly unique item that pops up. What i'd propose is instead make a buy terminal in every shop that players can "sell" items to. instead of actually selling it to the machine though they can put it in and put a price for every item (they could possibly set a range of money that they are willing to sell it for, or maybe players could just make offers kind of like a mini ebay, i dont know). Then at a terminal next to it players can search through all the posted items for the ones they want. Not in the way the terminals work now, showing about 15 items at a time... instead it could open up kind of like when you open up your skills, items categorized by type and shown from best to worst or whatever. When you buy someone's item, the money is transfered to the person who sold it, either realtime or the next time they log on (optional idea is that they can see who bought it so maybe they just picked something up in a mission and think that person can use it too).

Then I wouldn't be "lucky" to find the item i want, simply a person willing to browse. If you have any comments or suggestions feel free to post them. I just think it'd be a better way.

That's a great idea. Far better then the current shopping channel. That concept has been alive for years in text based MUDs. I can't imagine it's too difficult for the devs to produce.

I'd add a couple of provisos, to stop the terminals becoming clogged with loot that won't sell.
    • Charge a percentage of the asking price up front to the player selling the item. Perhaps 25% would be a good figure. This stops people simply advertising every last little item of loot they picked up
    • Put a time limit on the item's stay in the terminal, and warp it back to the player's bank or inventory after that time expires. That prevents unsold loot lingering in the term for weeks or months.
    Other than that, I think it's a great idea. I'd propose different terminals for different types of items, so that you don't have to trawl through 120+ different weapons when you're looking for a tradeskill item, and I'd add a bulletin board tab on each term so that players can advertise services and not just goods.

Cheers,

~R~

Question

Yeah that seems fine, maybe i didn't elaborate enough on picking out an item that you want though, for instance you can open it, go to "guns" then go to "rifles" and pick out one. Or "trade skill" and then "melee weapon parts" or something. Also i dont know about selling services, because then you run into problems, in the end I'd say the best way to advertise services is run to a crowded place and give it a /shout. Better to do it with someone close to your position then try to meet a day after he buys your services.

You'd want to limit the number of items each player can have up for sale in the shop at any one time to quite a low number (certainly less than 10 probably closer to 1 or 2).

Having every weapon, armour, item or implant available in any QL anytime you want it would spoil the game a bit - how do you stop that happening?

Having every weapon, armour, item or implant available in any QL anytime you want it would spoil the game a bit - how do you stop that happening?
    That's one of the interesting paradoxes of a "good" player economy. In an efficient economy, exactly the thing you describe would be the case.

I think the special terms are a GREAT idea. To expand on something someone said about loot that will never sell:

Part of the problem with garbage loot is that unskilled traders don't KNOW it's garbage. Good traders know what sells.

To prevent garbage, you could have the terminal tell you how many of that item sold in the last week, and the average price.
    Rogoff AKA Mr. Brumble - 59 Omni Bureaucrat (RK2)
    Goodz 55 Fixer, (RK2)
    Goodzz 25 MP - Afrolicious, freaky and habit-forming

Mercinax: "/me casts afro containment field on Goodzz"