Thread: Dual monitor problem

Angry Dual monitor problem

Hi,
    I just patched to 14.6.0.1 and I have a problem:
    how can I selct the monitor on which to run the game? Under the opions, I have 3 sets of video cards and no matter which I choose, the game runs on monitor 2
    It worked before the patch.
    The video card is a GeForce 4 Ti 4600 with a TFT monitor on the DVI output (monitor 1) and a CRT on the analog output (monitor 2). Monitor 1 runs at 1280*1024 and monitor 2 at 1024*768.
    The games runs fines except it is on the wrong monitor

I don't know if Direct X supports that for that video card. I've had it work with Matrox cards, but the GeForce 3 I've tried wouldn't work. I haven't tried a GeForce 4 yet.

Usually you have to run in windowed mode in smaller resolution than the monitor is at, and the display settings have to set up in "extended desktop" mode....something like 1600x600 or so. Only then can you drag the window over where you like it.
    GM-Zixxax

Funcom Customer Service
    http://www.anarchy-online.com
    http://www.funcom.com

Yes it works. I am running the latest reference drivers from nvidia (version 30.82 supports multi-display) and I have the 2 monitors configured ok. I can run other games full screen on the 1st monitor and have other windows (IRC, MSIE, etc) on the second without problems... I'll check the version I have when I get home and edit the message but I am almost sure it it the latest.
    I can send a window form a monitor to the other but if I run in window mode, it is black...
    I disabled the second monitor and it works

I've been experience similar problems with my Geforce ti 4200, and I'm also running driver version 30.82.

When I have my second monitor 'attached' to the computer (as selected via the display options tab) the game always runs on the second monitor. If I 'un-attach' the monitor, the game will run just fine on the main monitor. Thats if i try to run the game full screen.

If I go windowed, I can't get to run on any of the screens, all i get is the sound, and a black screen.

Final note, if I am running the game on the secndary monitor (running fullscreen, remember) and alt-tab back into windows everything's fine until i try to get back into the game. At that point I have two mouse cursor's, in identical locations, one on each screen. And all the clicking that i do only effects items on the main monitor, rendering the game essentially uncontrolable.

As a last resort, I even tried 'un-attaching' the secondary monitor, starting the game and alt-tabbing back to reenable the seconday monitor. This works for about 5 seconds and then every single time, ao crashes...

So, I'm feeling left out in the cold. I'm open to any suggestions, Please advise!!!

Hmm the window is black if shown on the non-main screen?

Same happens with QuickTime (apple player) here.

It's something with the DirectX video overlay support I think.
    But I run Cloned screen tough. and watch movies fullsacreen on
    the cloned screen (and they are in window on mainscreen).

Funny thing about computing.
    FC may have fixed some buggy display code so it now works right
    but something else in the system is bugged and hence wont work :P

So check card drivers and DX etc if there is updates.
    If not ask FC to bug up the display code again hehe.

But seriously, seem the video overlay is acting up a bit.

I'm not sure how the cards render but I think they render on the main, then use video overlay to send the image/window to the other screen(s)

Check nvidia boards/sites around for tips...

In any case, gfx cards with multiple outpouts/monitor support
    normally have a single rendering chip but 2 or more video output chips.

So somewhere something isnt taking the rendered image/frame scaling it and putting it on the other displays...
    Last edited by Gridfan; Nov 2nd, 2002 at 15:52:28.
    "AO is like the ugly duckling, slowly turning into a swan as time goes by."
    Lance Orbin aka Gridfan of GridStream Productions

Talking Dual monitor Problem -> Solution

Hey all,

Hopefully this will help the rest of you...

Like you I had problems getting the game to run on my main monitor (Geforce 3 Ti 500). I have a 3 monitor setup ( GF 3 Ti,
    Nvidia Vanta PCI , ATI Mach64 PCI) and the game only wanted to detect and play on the Vanta card.

Under the video card properties I found that my Geforce 3 Ti 500 was running in PCI Mode... so I went into the Bios of my motherboard (MSI K7T Turbo 2, Via chipset) and turned off the AGP 4x mode. Then I installed the new Via 4 in 1 drivers and rebooted.

When I went back into the video display properties, I found that the card was out of PCI mode, Dx diag showed that there was AGP texture acceration (it didn't before) and Powerstrip showed that it was in fact using AGP 2x and all the features were enabled that weren't before.

I started up AO and the Geforce was then listed (oly the vanta was before) I chose it , and set it for windowed mode. Boo-ya!
    stayed on the main monitor and got the game display (instead of the black screen). the other 2 monitors are still on and active, so now I can run Clicksaver or a browser while playing the game.

My specs:
    Win2000 professional Service Pack 3
    MSI K7T Turbo 2 Mobo Via chipset
    Via 4 in 1 4.42 drivers
    Duron 1200 CPU
    1.5 gig SDRAM
    4gig ad 6 gig IDE drives
    card1 : Geforce 3 Ti500 on a Philips magnavox 17"
    card2 : Nvidia Vanta on a Dell 17"
    card3 : Ati Mach64 on an old Packard bell 15"

I am having the same problems with my dual monitor support. Only way I can play AO is to detach the one monitor and play full screen. If I play windowed all I get is a black box.

I've had the black screen/wrong monitor problem with my dual-head GeForce4 card. Solution was to get newer drivers and to switch which monitor is considered "Primary" in the settings. I logically picked my left monitor to be Primary (since it's bigger) and the right one to be the Extended but it would never work. By switching it around AO works! I always have the forums and a database site up for reference while playing.

Good luck.
    Augustus "Talaria" Daken ~ Retired and deleted level 71 Omni Fixer mule on RK2

BTW, physically switching the ports for each monitor did not work...

Thats some good information, I'll give it a try soon as I can. I've gotten a new desk, and have an excellent setup now for a dual screen system.

Thanks again.

Hope "Doctordustin" Heals - main
    "Hecha" - ubah twink
    Harlan "Brdekard" Unsell - twink

If the Iron Reet is outside all day long, do you think it has rusty nuts? - stolen from Elonn
    am i the only crazy one? Guide to Teaming with Doc's

"Amusement parks in the Metaverse can be fantastic, offering a wide selection of interactive three-dimensional movies. But in the end, they're still nothing more than video games."
    --Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson

Achiever 93%
    Socializer 46%
    Explorer 33%
    Killer 26%

Same happens here..

Have a dual head GF4 Ti4600.

When I the second monitor is enabled, all I get when running AO in windowed mode is a black screen.

All other games I've played works great though.
    --------------------
    DaWicked

I wonder if we can get some type of response from Funcom. These are extremely popular and high performance video cards. I know this is a major issue for me, and from the length of this post, many others as well. If there something we are doing wrong? Is there some setting we can tweak to enable this properly?

/me signs off

"Hecha" - ubah twink

If the Iron Reet is outside all day long, do you think it has rusty nuts? - stolen from Elonn

"Amusement parks in the Metaverse can be fantastic, offering a wide selection of interactive three-dimensional movies. But in the end, they're still nothing more than video games."

Achiever 93%
    Socializer 46%
    Explorer 33%
    Killer 26%

Just updated my drivers for my GF4 to 43.45 and got the black screen problem again (windowed mode). On left monitor I'd get the black screen with music but no picture. Would work fine on right monitor but that's not where I wanted it. Crash in full screen mode. Doing my usual tweaks didn't fix so finally swapped cables and have the Display Properties -> Settings like this now:

2 1
    Left Right (using connector closer to motherboard)
    Primary Extend my Windows desktop to this monitor.

And guess what, AO works again on the correct monitor! Swapping cables didn't work for me last time I reinstalled my computer, very strange...

kind of an obvious solution.. wonder why i didn't think about it before now.

:0

thanks mate.

"Hecha" - ubah twink

Achiever 93%
    Socializer 46%
    Explorer 33%
    Killer 26%