Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: PvP strategies

PvP strategies

I'd like to share some tactics / strategies in dealing with each profession. Do know this may not be 'the best' to do or 'the right thing', these are my own experiences in how to deal with pvp battles These battles are duels of course.

Doctor versus:

Doctor
    Description:
    Okay, first check you watch, got at least an hr? Good, because this will be an endurance-duel about who runs out of nano first. Please both be selfbuffed else it will only last longer. To give an example; Pomy and me did a selfbuffed duel and she lost after 59mins due to a 3k as and I think LD (you didnt /quit did you Pomy? )
    Strategy:
    Init debuff first, if you don't have a big dmg gun dual-dot, no need for EP. Try an MC/MM/MC inexp debuff too. Use nanostimms to heal up, and fight at full def if you have a fast gun like Ithaca. The one with no nanodelta clusters and/or with less nano would most likely loose, unless your dmg is super
    Win chance: 50%
    To duel or not:
    Rarely I try these fights, most of the times they last WAY too long and most of the times useless, I'd advice against it, besides, it are your doc friends whom youre fighting!

Soldier
    Description:
    One of the easiest professions to duel. You probably would need to CH at most once after a lucky alpha from their guns, but that's it. They will last around 2mins because of their TMS (1min20 for the best one). Next patch you may not be able to CH, so caution is needed when they alpha you!
    Strategy:
    As always, init debuff first, then cast both dots and EP if you can. Fun thing with soldiers is that you can "waste" your nano on "funny" stuff because they are so easy that you'll never run out of nano anyways. Don't act too crazy tho Make sure to refresh the dots when his TMS is down (When he's TMS-ed he'll do 136+ dmg back (for best TMS), with RRFE 49 dmg back, so you can easely find out if its up or not). If he uses TMS 8 or lower (<100 dmg back) EP his behind into oblivion, because EP removes that TMS Else wait 1min10 (check your hot timer), recast both dots, use your specials when its down and cya in reclaim soldier. Try to be at a low aggro but cafeful for his alpha. *never* go below 50% hp!
    Win chance: 100%
    To duel or not: Always, because they are easy and fun

Trader
    Description:
    Why on earth are you trying to duel a trader? This class is your worst nightmare. They have a 100% nano debuffing around 190ish to nanoskills/weaponskills. No more CH after that one! And an OE-ed gun. Second one is a 190% debuff and again around 190, making your gun do less dmg then the average leet doll and healing less then a lvl 70 doc (Im down to 300hp heals at lvl 200).
    Strategy:
    Castt *all* you can on the darn trader before you're totally gimped into oblivion. Debuff first, Fast recharge dot, slow recharge dot, Epsilon Purge. If you upped NR make sure to stay full def always during the fight. Else go full aggro till (s)he debuffs you. If you're unlucky you will get debuffed just after or before the first dot. If you maxed + eqped + imped NR you can sometimes throw all of those at the trader which gives you a minor chance to win. Make sure to have a lot lower QL heals in a 2nd hotbar, becuase you're gonna need those to heal yourself with. Around this time the trader will try to debuff you with the 190% resist debuff, this is the 'turning point' for us docs. If it hits your dead meat. If you resist it you have a chance to win! Stay full def, AS (or burst or whatever but I prefer AS' high dmg at this time) and wait.. when the trader tried to debuff you a few times and you resisted and (s)he is out of nano you actually win. After 3 mins the normal 100% debuff wears out too and you can pay back that trader for all the doc (s)he killed In short:
    - If the 190%-er lands, run! You cant win.
    - MAX + Implant + eqp NR
    - Full def
    - AS specials
    Win chance: 10%
    To duel or not: Never if you can.. or only to test

MP
    Description:
    The living nightmare on your nanoskills and casting abilities. A tricky profession to fight with too. They are fairly easy with high NR and impossible with base NR. They have annoying stuns disabling shooting/casting for a few secs and they have a 200% debuff: Nanoshutdown and Dominates lowering a nanoskill by a lot. MP's are challenging but with good strategy you can win from them.
    Strategy:
    Init debuff first, stay at 0% aggro always and always. Make sure to cast the best unstable init debuff at the healpet and attackpet, you wont attack them so the debuff wont be removed (they are far better in debuffing inits). Best unstable debuff is Decreptitude. Dot the MP, if you can EP her/him as well; most dont use mochies on themselves but lower, <35 ncu ones When you think the MP is a flashpoint user don't use WnR dot yet, cast it when you see the flashpoint equiupped, then add a FA and Burst debuff after it as well. Pretty high chance (s)he cant switch back to his old gun Most MP's try Nanoshutdown which should fail most of the times. If it dont you can survive 1 with stimms/hot, then CH after it. The (rare, I dunno why) smart MP will do dominate BM/PM and disable your CH's/init debuffs and a lot of your high heals. You still function though but be prepared for a long battle. Careful with the stunns, dont get below 50% hp or suffer the alphastrike/nukes. Usually a 2nd (refreshed) NSD (nano shutdown) on you means death.
    Win chance: 60%
    To duel or not: Challenging yet doable, I love the duels.

Fixer
    Description:
    Fixers are easy yet it takes time to bring them down. Forget about shooting, use specials, nukes, dots, EP, debuffs. Some fixers say gridding out belongs to duelling too, just dont fight those as it has little use if one runs/warps. If it's a fixer that runs a lot agree on not zoning out as I had ppl running, then zoning out of MMD saying they won Also note that one of the last patches disabled dieing in grid, so dotting them when they grid wont help anymore.
    Strategy:
    Init debuff first, Then dual-dot, specials. most of the time they will go full aggro because of their speed. They are weak against nanos at full aggro so the less smart fixers are easely EPable at that time. Chain-EP the fixer until it lands, then continue using specials and 1st degree burns. If you cannot land EP you have to use the best dots (WnR/SnG) and chain-1st degree / specials. This will slowly dmg them to death, even with hots. It will be dead easy once you EP them though. Use extreme caution with EP and a Manex using fixer as you wont be able to heal the massive manex dmg during EP recharge.
    Win chance: 80%
    To duel or not: Very fun to fight, not hard but non gankable.

Martial Artist
    Description:
    A patch ago I would've told you they are a real challenge etc etc but sadly the recent nerfs hit this profession the most. I actually killed a same-lvl ma with just dots and init debuffs and didnt have to use a single CH. In the past they were deadly because of their high crits, also enabling them to use the fast powbow (fast AS) and crit-happy River6 AR gun. Those 2 are now history as crits are halved (= no crithappy guns usable anymore) and powbow is nerfed.
    [/b]Strategies:[/b]
    Init debuff, dual dot, EP, BM inexperience debuff and shoot away. Don't get sloppy and go below 50% hp, they still got brawl/dimach bow as/fling combo
    Win chance: 100%
    To duel or not: Expect an unhappy ma talking about nerfs and quitting AO..

Nano Technician
    Description:
    Sometimes the NT can make us it quiet hard. They got a nano called Crown of Frost which debuffs nanoskills by 115, disabling CH. Usually you can win with the init debuffs but high lvl NT's can make it quiet hard for you if you dont watch what you're doing.
    Strategy:
    Go full def, init debuff, dot. No need for EP unless you want to remove NS1 with it when the NT is running it. Crown of Frost will land easely so careful with that. When it doesnt run refresh dots/debuff. The battle is like a battle against a trader doing -125 max, so it isnt that hard to win. If you have a flashpoint user against you WnR when (s)he has the flashpoint equipped, most likely they cannot switch back then
    Win chance: 70%
    To duel or not: Yes, be vewwy vewwy carefuw though They can get nasty at high lvl and Crown is hard to handle.

Adventurer
    Description:
    You have a just-not-a-doc and just-not-an-enf here. They can healy very well, even CH (As slow as A&O though) and they do a lot (usually melee) damage. Not near the dmg as an enf does however. They also got big dmg shields so try to go full def (slow shooting = less dmg). Just like a doc you want to endure; deplete the opponents nanopool
    Strategy:
    Init debuff for slower heals, dot for extra dmg. When you see the adv flurry's (you see Flurry! in their heads) go full aggro so you can score a few crits, then go back full def in 30s. Debuff BM with an inexp, maybe you can prevent their CH's with that. Their CH takes a looot time and they can't do it a lot like us so count on 2, max 3 CH's at most.
    Win chance: 65%
    To duel or not: Challenging, esp HE-ed advs, but not so good docs as us so we tend to win a lot.

Agent
    Description:
    Very very tricky to "play" with. There are 2 sorts of challenging agents: pure agents and fp trader ones. Don't worry about the soldier ones. To win from the fp trader ones you'll have to go fulldef and use the trader strategy. Most of the times you'll find it easier to resist agents in fp trader then pure traders. The most dangerous with agents is their 100% crit-spree. They will usually use it after a good crit and AS. If you didnt slow them you might be dead fast, else try not to panic and CH when you're at 30% hp. This way you'll have enough hp left after his critbuff ended.
    Strategy:
    Init debuff asap, *make sure to have auto attack+target on* ((s)he will sneak and attack you from there, else you cannot target swiftly), throw your dots and make sure you can insta-CH. Once you see you're getting crits a lot dont heal at 50% but wait.. wait.. and CH when you think you must CH just before dieing to another crit (don't try to be a hero there, but dont overdo it!). After the crittingspree is ended you only need to wait till the little fly dies from your dots and specials. If you're attacked by an agent offguard you may very likely be killed, so always be on your watch
    Win chance: 70%
    To duel or not: Challenging, crittingspree is dangerous, but easy if you survive that part.

Enforcer
    Description:
    Ah, the masters of mass damage. These juggernauts have massive HP, good hots, insane NR, do insane amounts of damage and can run fast. Ack! Yes, Ack! They are not impossible to win from though. You want to init debuff these biggies a.s.a.p, then just hope your AS or other specials can kill him off. No Dots as they can break those with Rage.
    Strategy:
    Init debuff! If they resist recast instantly, don't give up. Once you landed the debuff go as low aggro as long as you still can insta-CH. Rage breaks dots, so don't dot. You can pull off a trick though; cast a small 25 dmg dot on them; they will use rage.. rage itself gives a big dot as well, which is quiet funny because they just dotted themselves for a big fast dot because of your puny 25 dmg dot As when you can, dont try EP and just wait till their nano and hp is depleted (they will try to cast layers, mongo, challenger etc). When you see they flurry go full aggro to teach him a lesson not to flurry against a fast critgun. Stay calm, and CH at 50% hp, they can do huge amounts of dmg. Make sure you have temp hp + hot running. It's a hard battle but very challenging, and most enforcers make mistakes or just are unlucky. One of the best classes to duel though (as in fun)
    Win chance: 60%
    To duel or not: Hard, but if you keep your head cool and stay smart you'll win.

I'm not adding Engineer and Crat as they aren't that hard for us at all, as you all might know. Crat can root as special, both have pets which you can init debuff and forget about. Just aim at the master and init debuff / dot em

Some non-profession specific doctor tips:
    Selfbuff the following:
    Nano Repulsor (against debuff classes, adds NR)
    Temp HP (More hp=better)
    HoT (saves you a lot normal heals)
    Team HP (More hp=better)
    BM,MC,T&S,PM,SI exp (More of an edge against debuffs, more ams)
    Weaponskill expertises + Aimedshot exp
    Instinctive Control (lower aggro to still insta CHs)
    Int boost (more nanoskills against debuffs)

Nice outside-buffs
    Get the following buffs: HE/CC from NT (or CC from MP) for more nano and less nanocost, get RRFE from soldier (30% less dmg done to you and a 49 dmg reflect shield), Essence of Behemoth from an enforcer (1k hp), GSF,NCU and a HoT from a fixer for speed, more ncu and healing, TTS from an agent for better AS'. MoP (ma critbuff) is a waste of ncu space now.

Don't risk a lot during the duel, don't be daring and CH at 10% HP, do it at 50/40% HP. Also make sure to init debuff as first.
    Make sure to have multiple shortkey bars with single heals, init debuffs (both stable and unstable ones) and hots all up to -420 to your nanoskills castable. This is due to the "trader love" we sometimes may get When youre debuffed try the best heal, if nothing happens the 2nd (lower one) etc till you cast it, that way you always know you're using the best heal.

A good setup for a pvp gun:
    QL199 Ithaca + Shining Shotgun only
    QL250 VE (for the AS bonus, you dont need ELLTS anymore)
    Shining+Faded AS implants (Bright needs NR!)

I hope this helped you a bit in pvp
    Last edited by Letah; Nov 21st, 2002 at 17:26:19.

Vhir / 215 Doctor
    Nynke / 205 Agent
    Letah / 200 Doctor
    Firerose / 200 Soldier

Yeah I'm back, no need to ask your ebay-check questions

A couple silly tricks, good-to-haves, and so forth I can add to Letah's post from some recent tinkering I've been doing... I can't improve on her strategies, but here are a few ways to get an extra little advantage.

Crat coffee is good. Repeat after me, Crat coffee is good. It's got an AddAllOff modifier, and if you're having problems with someone (like a Raging Enforcer) resisting your nanos - drink a cup. For some reason I've found that a small boost like that really helps overcoming NR. This goes for uber-boss mobs who have insane nanoresist, too.

Hacked Symbio-Graft: Feet of Stone. Get it, use it, love it. (Thanks Shub). It's a low level root graft that locks MM; you can use it from in your inventory. Even with root-breakers, many people are surprised to find themselves rooted by a Doctor and will hesitate and check their NCU for what happened. I've even had someone get distracted in an arena duel, looking for the person that rooted them.

You can overwrite the highest level Fixer short-term HoTs with a low-mid level Doctor HoT because they're on the same strain and Doc HoTs cost double the NCU at the same level. If you can't EP them, you can force them to cancel your smaller-healing HoT and recast theirs. And theirs takes a lot more nano. However: this is a borderline exploit in my opinion, much like the engineer reflect overwrite. But hey, maybe if we all go out and do it and get the fixers nice and mad, they'll 'nerf' our HoTs to use less NCU

An adventurer damage shield is good, since we last so long.
    Taren "Jynne" Suitt, Level 216/16 Eternalist
    Knight of Unity of the Rose - Check out our AO Tools!
    The Doctor Guide to: Notum Wars Martial Arts Perks! Nano Controller Units
    The General Guide to: Auto-Combat General Perks

Visit the Roses and check out the shops in our City, NE of ICC at 4500x1500 in Andromeda!

Iron Law of Exploits: If it can be exploited, it will be exploited. However a rule is exploitable, the exploits become the rule.

Thanks for the write up.

Could you add something about what it might take to pull this stuff off, though? For instance, you make a couple references to things like AS and fast critgun. I know you've been an Ithaca/ELLTS user for a while now; but not having had that option myself, I'm not sure how much of this I can use.

And, ugh, the symbio-graft. I've had Feet of Stone and one other on my clicksaver for over 50 levels now and I just never see them. A guildie says he rolled 2 in about 30 min; but I can't find one to save my life. Grrrrr. And, yes, I checked the spelling.
    Heals - they're not just for tradeskills anymore
    Hypos omni doc RK2 <-- stupid enough to have thought that going past level 150 would help her be a better doc
    Phlair omni mp RK2 solo char
    Nerfbat omni enf RK2 awarded the hammer of braveness
    Shadow Ops

Added my pvp setup, you dont need ELLTS anymore, my 15% scope never crits anyways.. so QL250 VE is way better since its AS bonus way better and speed debuff less.

We don't do dmg but the Ithaca is fast, you can be at fulldef and do 2k+ AS every 26s

Vhir / 215 Doctor
    Nynke / 205 Agent
    Letah / 200 Doctor
    Firerose / 200 Soldier

posted by Letah

you dont need ELLTS anymore
    That's because of a combination of the crit nerf and the specials recycling faster right? I've tried to keep an eye on this stuff for a while now. Previously, it was always "if you don't have at least a 12% scope don't even try it."

Next patch, specials should recycle slower and once the init fixes all get in, it'll be even slower. Hard to convince myself to IPR to Ithace with that coming up.
    Hypos omni doc RK2 <-- stupid enough to have thought that going past level 150 would help her be a better doc
    Shadow Ops

Originally posted by Hypos
    That's because of a combination of the crit nerf and the specials recycling faster right? I've tried to keep an eye on this stuff for a while now. Previously, it was always "if you don't have at least a 12% scope don't even try it."

Next patch, specials should recycle slower and once the init fixes all get in, it'll be even slower. Hard to convince myself to IPR to Ithace with that coming up.
    We'll see how it goes, Hypos. The ithaca's AS will always recycle relatively faster than other weapons, unless the ithaca itself is nerfed. Which is entirely possible, of course.

I'd still hold off on going shottie, but really, even a slower AS on the ithaca would still make it better than most of our options.

Visit the Roses and check out the shops in our City, NE of ICC at 4500x1500 in Andromeda!

Iron Law of Exploits: If it can be exploited, it will be exploited. However a rule is exploitable, the exploits become the rule.

great post,

one thing I have noticed... my secret... dont pvp before 70

hehe

doc suxors pre-70 but I *think* at 75 I can be ok... we will see.
    I am Dnastyone Official Broom pusher for The Professionals
    Painmage my newest funnest guy
    PHEAR ME RK1 Yazule IMMMM BACK

I would have to say that this is an typicall example of how an flame should not look like. You need to think things through and calm down before you try to write an flame... Im sorry but I would rate this flame with an 1. Aggression is to high, grammar and cursing isnt to well planned... Maybe he has an point somewhere in there but I dont even want to find it. - Centurion3

ROFLOL

A doc guildie of mine made Rookie at about level 70. He was using ETE Strike Pistols. Duel weilded, if memory serves.
    Shadow Ops

Originally posted by Hypos
    A doc guildie of mine made Rookie at about level 70. He was using ETE Strike Pistols. Duel weilded, if memory serves.
    yeah, I am 63, and starting to come into my own a bit (vs all but trader hehe)

hopefully 74 = title time (at least freshman, my doc's are my only non titled toons hehe ... and we are UBER or so I am told by everyone that kills me)
    I am Dnastyone Official Broom pusher for The Professionals
    Painmage my newest funnest guy
    PHEAR ME RK1 Yazule IMMMM BACK

I would have to say that this is an typicall example of how an flame should not look like. You need to think things through and calm down before you try to write an flame... Im sorry but I would rate this flame with an 1. Aggression is to high, grammar and cursing isnt to well planned... Maybe he has an point somewhere in there but I dont even want to find it. - Centurion3

ROFLOL

posted by Yazule

and we are UBER or so I am told by everyone that kills me
    Sadly, that's still true for me at 168. I just still don't have a good way to kill people. Staying alive - ok, I got that part now. Killing... still working on it.
    Shadow Ops

Some soldiers might have some extra tricks now and then.
    If they start with tms, and have their inits high up you need to come with something better then palsy to slow them down even a little ;p Some might actually last long, casting tms over and over where you'll only have 30-40(?) seconds to kill him. If he/she has very good fa stimms and he it will be a long fight.

Seeing selfbuffed your damage is quite low it will be a close and long fight. When crit buffed + the rest the fight should be less of a problem unless he gets lucky with an FA / burst.
    With the weapons they have currently I'd say the doc has the highest chance to win, however this is something which might change after next patch..

Small note, casting ep + 2 dots is quite hard to do before 195 as solitius, might be abit easier as a nanomage. I'd prefer w&r over EP as wr tends to disable weapon swapping for soldiers ;p You can ofcourse always bug your local mp.

Fixers are doable if they are on full aggro. Ep sticks -abit- easier and , unless manexéd, their damage is healable. I usually use first degree burns on them till they evac ;p
    If they are on full defense however that fight is going to be a pain. You'll never be able to kill one tho, due to their evac nanos.

Infact, as a doc you wont kill anyone at all unless the person chooses to die or you have a well timed root graft / lucky aimed shot / lucky crit or some mates hiding , as we lack roots and snares.

More comments will follow and I have to say the guide is pretty accurate, especially for T6. However the balance of power lies abit different for T5 docs and breed -can- play a role at times too but i'll get back on that.

oh yes, coffee rocks!
    Last edited by Georg; Nov 22nd, 2002 at 00:52:36.
    Georg 218 doc
    [1809] PT
    Legion
    Web: [http://www.legionhq.org]
    Irc: irc.legionhq.org
    Ts: www.legionhq.org

just read your note on soldiers letah:
    "Win chance: 100%
    To duel or not: Always, because they are easy and fun"
    *sniff*

Good post letah=)
    Georg i agree with all that you wrote
    as a noob to pvp like myself the info will be helpful=)
    hehe

I still don't understand Epsilon Purge. Letah suggests using it after casting debuffs and DoTs, but wouldn't it remove those then?

Bah, I've still never -- ever -- had a complete fight with a Soldier. They always zone or stop fighting and don't want to lose pvp points or whatever. In theory they seem like an easy kill -- if they don't run or zone. But I've never been lucky enough to kill one, so I don't even bother asking anymore.

Originally posted by Castoroil
    I still don't understand Epsilon Purge. Letah suggests using it after casting debuffs and DoTs, but wouldn't it remove those then?
    No, if you look at the higher QL DoTs and debuffs, they're all way over 45 NCU. EP only removes nano programs under 35 NCU in size.

Originally posted by Asmodeuz
    just read your note on soldiers letah:
    "Win chance: 100%
    To duel or not: Always, because they are easy and fun"
    *sniff*
    awww *huggle* I know!

Vhir / 215 Doctor
    Nynke / 205 Agent
    Letah / 200 Doctor
    Firerose / 200 Soldier

Yes nice post. Any of you docs want to trade professions with me? Ill throw in a muffin! Come on! A Yummy Muffin!
    Travesty
    martial arts has-been
    freedom fighter
    teen idol

"Dont hate me because I'm beautiful. Hate me because Im sleeping with your girlfriend."

mmmmmm muffins
    Shadow Ops

I'll tradeja, Travstuff. MAs are sure to get more attention and fixin' than Docs are in the next three-four weeks.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast