Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pepper pistol?

Pepper pistol?

Where can I get my mitts on one (or even two..) of these? Did a bit of trawling of dbs lunchtime, but not found the answer.. also there seem to be a few flavours - Shining Soft is the best? followed by plain Soft, Unfinished and Worn..? I'm hoping this isn't something I have to camp for..

I've also been vaguely wondering why i never see any of you lot scampering around on my travels - after half an hour on char lookup (/me is very bored at work) most of you are RK1, or omni, or (eek) both.. pfft!

/me picks out a desk toy to play with (lots of new xmas ones!), and vaguely wonders if there's anything else she vaguely wonders about..

my thanks to anyone who can help..
    The nature of monkey is irrepressible.
    Silq ~ Barabajagal ~ Ubik ~ Steampunk ~ Fleshwoman & others

Pepper pistols are 'da bomb! i've used one often, and all i can say is that the are a terrific way to boost your nano skill... doing damage, well... thats another story...

Getting them is a bit hard, i've always chicked out and bought mine, a whole lot easier... Expensive thou, the pistol you probably want, a ql51 soft pepper pistol will run you 1m - 1.5m creds, depending on the seller.

Once you get it, make sure you do not sink even one ip point into the skills needed to equip it. Find a high lvl trader and get yourself a +132 wrangle, then add ip as needed to equip...

GL!

Hope "Doctordustin" Heals - main
    "Hecha" - ubah twink
    Harlan "Brdekard" Unsell - twink

If the Iron Reet is outside all day long, do you think it has rusty nuts? - stolen from Elonn
    am i the only crazy one? Guide to Teaming with Doc's

"Amusement parks in the Metaverse can be fantastic, offering a wide selection of interactive three-dimensional movies. But in the end, they're still nothing more than video games."
    --Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson

Achiever 93%
    Socializer 46%
    Explorer 33%
    Killer 26%

Oops, forgot to mention, you cant' dual wield these pistols... sorry!

One more thing, you might want to check out the pillow's with important stripes, they are very nice, in that they add the same modifiers... course they aren't as fierce looking as a pepper pistol...

"Hecha" - ubah twink

If the Iron Reet is outside all day long, do you think it has rusty nuts? - stolen from Elonn

"Amusement parks in the Metaverse can be fantastic, offering a wide selection of interactive three-dimensional movies. But in the end, they're still nothing more than video games."

Achiever 93%
    Socializer 46%
    Explorer 33%
    Killer 26%

to find out what you need for a pepper pistol in the game,

type /recipe in AO
    click on Weapons
    click on Sealed Weapon Receptacles

if you don't have the /recipe files, get them now, see my signature for a link

the QL of the Nano Pylon will determine the QL of the pepper pistol, so shop around for the lowest QL you need, like QL 101, for most people
    original author of Helpbot

run team missions around ql50-55 and look in chests for the sealed recepticle with one.

the QL of the sealed recepticle is not as important as the Nano Pylon

I think you'll find yourself running around checking all the trade skill stores, more than you will be checking chests

Thanks loads for this info! I was checkin the post manically at work and watching it slip down the board with 0 replies..and thought, oh well I'll have to find out some other way.. Oh me of little faith!

Did think of pillows, now I know how my char looks *shouldn't* be important.. but.. think I'd like the pistol I can't imagine waving a pillow above my head chain-casting.. hehe..

I'm afraid I have two more Qs now.. do the sealed wep receptacles only drop in team missions? or can I get em in solo? I think the lowest I can run now is around ql 90, ack (is it only a set ql range?)... and this is likely to be a stupid question, but how can I tell when I have the right sealed wep recep? if i remember rightly.. is it in the description..? (okok, maybe a few more than two )

Hmm.. might be quicker to save up and buy.. but I like to at least try the hard way first, or I would never have picked a doc to play I'll give this a go..

Cheers for setting me on the right track

If you don't mind me asking, why do you need a pepper pistol anyway? If your minimum mission ql is 90ish, you must be 130 or so, right?

I'm a few lvls behind you, 122 atm, but i have more healilg ability than i need. BM\MM arent even maxed, and I rarely chain casting anymore... Only in the boss room or with 3 or 4 adds.

Right now I've a ql123 x3 rifle equiped and use it to add what measly damage I can. I sold my pepper pistol for a 500k profit a week or so ago since i hadn't used it since my lower lvls.

But if you are looking for a ql150ish pistol, thats another story... The mods on those are in the 20-30 range, and thats a very nice adder, even for me...

Just a humble doctor trying to understand... Hope you don't mind me asking.

"Hecha" - ubah twink

Achiever 93%
    Socializer 46%
    Explorer 33%
    Killer 26%

I'm at 142 atm, and yup I'm looking for 150ish pistol - my heals can still keep up (usually bout 10 ql lvls above) but tis a close call sometimes - tho close calls are by far the most fun part of teaming imho How high above are your heals, if you don't mind me asking back..? I'm surprised you have more healing ability than you need - I only get that if there's another healing class in the team, I'm only now getting in with the fightin' - and that depends on the team mix and lvl range..

I have been asked a couple of times now if I can CH - I'm guildless, so I don't have all the uber items most chars seem to at my level, don't really fancy a guild cos I don't want to have to get twinked to the eyeballs and see everything/be able to do everything way before 200 (see sig ) - the game would get old fast I think - and (real reason) my independent streak is too strong for my own good , so saving a guild & uber items for when I get near 200 and get bored - but, I do still feel under pressure to get CH soon as - so this pistol thing will help me get there a few lvls sooner and silence the pickup teammates who are used to twinked docs, and treat char-building like a competition..

If a ql50ish was 1-1.5M, eek how much will a ql150ish set me back..? Making one meself is looking more attractive..

Right now Im lvl 122 and casting a 136 target heal and a 129 team heal, and in the teams i play with they are enough. If the action gets really heavy i will stop attacking though and focus on the heals... Also, if needed I'll make sure the tank has a temp hp buff\hot running in any heavy battles. It might not seem like a lot, but those really make a difference. The hot in particular makes a difference, adding 800hp or so over the course of one fight. By the way, all this is running ql 180-190 missions, no slacking here.

For armor I'm wearing ql142 biomech, full set except i put on a ql123 carbo helmet instead of the ugly biomeach thing. I couldn't stand looking like a reject from a eggplant farm. 3.3k ac melee, the others a bit lower. 3.8khp selfbuffed, it could be higher if i was a soli, but I went nanomage, so I'm gimped here... I'd love to get cas armor eventually, mainly for the hp boost. +980hp would be wonderful...

One thing that was humbling to me was seeing a lvl 117 doc casting CH... now mind you, she wasn't self buffed, she had mochies... but damn... ch @117...

You'll want to get that ASAP, i'm sure the teams your playing with are almost requiring ch atm... A friend of mine plays a lvl 167 enf, and he just 10,180hp self buffed... it takes me 12-15 heals to get him to 100% from the bottom... SHESH!! I would love to have complete heal for him!!!

Anyway, sorry for rambling, its late and im tired.. I'll check in here tomorrow to look for a reply. I'll be working, so i won't be able to play much...

Later

"Hecha" - ubah twink

Achiever 93%
    Socializer 46%
    Explorer 33%
    Killer 26%

Cheers Dustin - seems we're playing it pretty much the same way, cept you get into the scrap and stop if healing needs to be the focus - where I focus on healing til I'm happy it's under control before adding some measly damage Also throw a HoT on the tank(s) if I'm struggling, and use stims alot in emergencies or jus to keep up - I don't like HP to go below half, I may well annoy some teams cos of my maniac and at times unecessary healing, but I've only been told off once

Armour is a mish-mash, nano helm and cloak bout 180+ (cos they were the only things I could keep on when using the med-suit to wriggle into imps..) - the rest has now been replaced with stuff I can self-equip (cos I can't swap imps by myself now til bout 155), mix of bio-mech, sids', flawless, and nano.. I think I'll always have a bit of a mix, so a couple of pieces can compensate the for weak ACs in the others..I think your AC is probably better..

I've changed my mind on everything now (perogative of my gender! ).. I say pfft to CH! - after teaming with some 160+, two of them sent me a tell after to say 'nice healing' (and one of them due to a dcon wasn't in the team at one point, so spamming /assist against RMs - was fun..).. so I've decided that it's not what you got, it's what you do with it I'd like to think there's a little bit more to being a doc than simply having the highest ql heals.. like keeping on the ball first off, knowing different ways to lose aggro, being able to keep yourself alive as well as the team, and a whole array of different tactics.. I'll get it soon enough (and probably won't need it then )

And err, after my wee rant bout how I'm not going to join any guilds, yada yada - well scrape that egg off my face, cos I did
    I asked about twinking before i joined ('some but not to the point of pain' <-- thas me) and so far so great - and chucked one of those tower thingys down (or up..?) which gives me the boost I was looking for from the bizarrely-named pepper pistol

O well, can't spin this lunch break out any longer

(Opinions are variable and liable/very likely to change without prior notice..or any apparent reason..)

Your on to the thing there... It's what you do with it... Ch or no Ch... Doesn't matter... (edit: unless your on a tara raid or something like that...)

As you pointed out, stay on the ball and watch your teams.. I'm a maniac with my heals... I'm always target healing whoever needs it, usually the tank... when the fights over I make sure to team heal till everyone's back to 100% health.. I'd like to think that makes a difference.

Here's my indicator, the thing that tells me when i need new heals: Watching the team's health. If after a close call, I've got some people who are dangeriously low on hp, i'll take care of'em... If it happens often, i'll upgrade my heals.. Which means I'm upgrading to about every third or fourth heal on the list.

Congrats on joining a guild, you'll love it. The armor I've been playing with has all been something from my guild. I do make sure whatever i get stays in the guild tho... Never take something out of the guild for your own use and leave with it...

Anyway... back to work for me. oh, one more thing, have you thought about getting a set of biomech armor? afaik its probably one of the better doc armors, since its a sta\psy armor... Good stuff and pretty well balanced plus a nice treatment\first aid buff..

/me signs off
    Last edited by Doctordustin; Jan 6th, 2003 at 16:04:37.

"Hecha" - ubah twink

Achiever 93%
    Socializer 46%
    Explorer 33%
    Killer 26%

Sorry, i keep thinking of more things to say...

How are you set for nano inits? are you using a nano formula recompiler? Instinctive control?

I love being on full def and being able to instacast all my heals..

"Hecha" - ubah twink

Achiever 93%
    Socializer 46%
    Explorer 33%
    Killer 26%

A Better option?

If you are wanting to weild Pepper Pistols to keep the best heals you can get, I personally think the Galahad Inc. T70 Tsuyoshi would be a better option. They are easier to get, have lower skill requirements and can be easily dual weilded for +40 BM/MM.

http://64.106.154.149/showitem.asp?AOID=123954

Soft Pepper Pistols

Well I was lucky and found a QL188 soft pepper pistol. Got is hacked and constructed. WOW! 917 pistol skill required to equip it. I thought the pistol requirements were quite high, but with implants, self-buffs and a 1332 wrangle I was able to equip it.

The +24 MM/BM buffs were nice, but for a QL 188 pistol with such high req the damage output is a joke. I was "pounding away" with ~60 damage a pop! I started using a QL 200 V3 pistol for the damage. Pistol skills are a damn waste if IP and with bonuses from towers, I don't use it anymore.

Using shotguns atm. Steady damage (150-400) and with 8% crit scope and crit buffs, I will crit shot 1-2 times on each mob. Most crits are 2600-2800 with a ql199 Ithica. I am considering switching to a Superiour x-3, but am waiting till lvl 190, before using any RP.

If you are looking for nano buffs, I suggest you try anything other than Soft Pepper pistols. BTW I will sell my QL 188 if anyone is interested. I also have several other sealed weapons containers, but most choose other weapons.

Veronica 175 Doc RK1

K, I'm definately totally utterly off the idea of a pepper pistol (silly name anyways), thanks to all who contributed to this thread and helped me make that decision. I'm well stingy with ip - think I'll save it for a damage dealing ranged wep when I get round to it (which will be when I'm redundant as a healer..)

I quite like the look of the Galahad - nice low reqs, thx for that Narissa, I agree that they're the better option! Actually my problem now is more blitzing to keep the nanos upgraded - I'm lucky enough to have had the top doc nanos given to me, but there's a bit of a gap in between - also go for every 3rd or 4th down the list (cept team HP buffs, get all of them) .. can totally relate to the way you play/heal dustin

Not totally with you on the Biomech tho.. I got a ql200 cloak waiting, but I'll probably stick with that as my only Bio piece - my fave so far is the nano armour really, looks kinda cool.. None of them are totally balanced, I jus wear the best I come across til I get round to co-ordinating my wardrobe.. I may wear more Bio if there comes a time when I need those FA and Treatment boosts..

I do totally agree with you on the guild thing - one of the reasons I've not joined is cos I hate accepting help, happy to give it, always, but don't like to owe - there are only 3 or 4 ppl in the whole game i can swallow my pride and accept help from without *having* to repay em, cos I genuinely respect & like em - and even then they sometimes get an argument Unfortunately two of em are fixers, so I'll never get to repay em - what can you give the prof who has everything? :/

oo nearly forgot - Nano Init is 1001 with a recompiler & buff - I vaguely remember reading somewhere it needs to be 1200 to insta-cast at full-def? Seems pretty instant at 50% atm tho... I don't know the exact calculations..

Silq, take a look at this thread for some interesting comments on the Galahad... I once had the same thought as you, but learned otherwise...

http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...threadid=79389

"Hecha" - ubah twink

Achiever 93%
    Socializer 46%
    Explorer 33%
    Killer 26%

the Numbers speak

Just in further defense of my suggestion regarding Galahads...

Using a L100 doc with no implants and only mid level (up to QL150) outside buffs it would require:

275000 IP's to Dual weild QL99 Galahads and get +40 BM/MM.

that is not an unreasonable expediture of IP's to boost healing skills by 40 each, especially in later levels < 130 when IP aren't as tight.

Add in some temporary QL150 ish implants, and that cost would be less than half.

incase anyone is interested:
    FA req 360 - easily buffable by 105
    Burst req 300 - easily buffable by 132
    Pistol req 399 - buffable by 60
    Multiranged req 576 - buffable by 120

Nerissa
    L95 doc and climbing

Galahads are great pistols. I used to use them on my adventurer to do stuff like self cast pit lizard when I was 150.
    For docs though, I don't like them.
    Docs only really need Biomet boost in the 100-150 level range, after that you have more biomet than you ever need.

If you put IP into a skill, hopefully you will get use out of it.
    So....if you are a doc, and know you are going to be using pistol, burst and full auto, and are going to dual wield, maybe this makes sense. How many dual wielding docs do you see these days?

So....pepper pistol, requires pistol skill, and as we know, a QL 51 pepper pistol can be equipped with NO ip expenditure, given QL 200 implants. Shining pistol QL 200 implant is very easy to get on level 115ish. With base pistol skill 100ish, plus 105 from shining pistol cluster, plus 20 expertise, 120 extreme prejudice, 40 pistol mastery, plus 132 wrangle, you are in business.

In that 80-100 range and 125-150 range you aren't gonna have much IP for full auto, burst, multirange. Unless you know you are gonna be using a flashpoint or some other FA assault rifle, I'd suggest not putting IP into those skills at a low level.

Multirange is a broken ranged skill, and I don't think docs will ever get additional damage returned that is worth the IP invested.
    LVL 220 Vanguard Out to pasture
    LVL 220 Eternalist researching
    LVL 220 Dictator Retired
    LVL 220 Field Marshal Resetting/twinking

LVL 220 Savior (researching)

Firetree Server, Horde of course

Pepper Pistols are like Pillows

you want to make them into the lowest QL possible within the range of bonus's you want

QL 101 and QL 150 give the same bonus, but one requires a butt load more skills to equip

the Nano Pylon is what determins the QL of the final pistol, so plan to spend a few hours shopping

QL1-QL50 Cheap Soft Pepper Pistol
    (+2 skills)

QL51-QL100 Worn Soft Pepper Pistol
    (+14 skills)

QL100-QL150 Soft Pepper Pistol
    (+18 skills)

QL151-QL193 Shining Soft Pepper Pistol
    (+24 skills)

QL194-QL194 Majestic Soft Pepper Pistol
    (+28 skills)
    Last edited by Beaker; Jan 7th, 2003 at 20:28:38.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast