Thread: AO "Still Alive" Film Project

AO "Still Alive" Film Project

Ok, so I started with AO Still Alive - Film Trailer March 4th, then AO "Still Alive" Raw Footage on March 5th and today I uploaded More AO "Still Alive" Raw Footage.

I still think I need more raw footage, there are more places to see, like Penumbra, Adonis, Inferno, Pande, the gardens (both clan and omni), tower battle, battlestation, Tara, APF, LoX...

This is a long term project, don't expect it to be done in a few weeks, think months. And if the new engine were to come out before it was finished.... well.. I'd have to re-record everything.

Some even suggested I wait for the new engine beta for this year. But, even if that were to happen, if I have the right shots already picked then I would know where to go to recreate them.

The second raw footage took me hours to record, edit and in the end the file was over 32GB which took me a while to compress to 355MB to upload to youtube.

The reason for the size is that I wanted the videos to be as high quality as possible.

I'm open to ideas, suggestions and positive criticism about this project.
    Twitch Channel - Youtube Channel - Twitter - Facebook - Pinterest
    AO Universe - By Players, For Players! The #1 AO Fansite Worldwide - Site Founder (Retired). | AOSpeak - Unofficial AO Teamspeak 3 Server - Founder (Retired). | AO Recipebook - In-Game Recipe/Tradeskill Bot - Founder (Retired).
    Founding member of the Council of Truth Clerical Staff.
    Keep in mind: My posts are my own personal views and thoughts.

Just had a quick look through the second one.

2 things really stood out for me.

1) Camera 'panning' was a bit jumpy, but can't really help that with a mouse, do you have access to a trackball?

2) The music felt very sad for a 'Still Alive' movie.

Other than that I can see some good shots in there.
    Pricecuts - 220 Trader
    Feel free to contact me via PM or in-game.

Raggy - 220 Bureaucrat || Raggeh - 220 Fixer | Back as 'Raggys' - Shade for the time being. | Nuclei - 217 Nanotechnician || Nanobiology - 214 Doctor

Tip #743: As noted in Tip #244, tea bags have an infinite variety of uses. However, there's always one jerk who will want to give you crap over drinking tea. Particularly if in a new town, use this as an opportunity to assert yourself. Any drunken idiot can win a bar fight. It takes a real man to win a bar fight while enjoying a cup of Earl Grey.

the ao still alive film trailer gives chills, amazing! good idea and initiative, only concern with raw footage i can see, is there's no other players around, feels deserted. on the other hand, seeing all the different PF's is really cool. the fixer grid part of the second batch of raw footage, even for such an old game still looks mind-blowing.
    wtf happened to my avatars eyebrows?

I used to listen to Dubstep in the 90's... every time I connected to the internet.

I too think the music from the second footage was ...depressing. However, the rest of it was great. Throw a party in there somewhere in your next clip to show that Anarchy Online is "still alive", maybe at the 11th anniversary (if the film is not finished before then). Make sure you go scuba diving in Adonis!

Well I used classical music for the second one. I was going to leave it without music, but I guess I can change it sometime today to make it lively.

The panning is a bit jumpy because of the mouse. I'll need more practice.

As for empty playfields, AO is a pretty big MMO, even in the days when the population was much larger, it was common to see the landscape with only mobs or NPC's.

Keep in mind the footage I wanted to record first are" the easy shots" where I didn't require players.

Once I have enough of those, next will be... a LARGE tower war where participants are to agree to make the fight last and actually... go against their PvP nature and create a "battlefield" which I can circle around, after that the "money shot" with towers going boom and orbital strikes and such.

Once that scene is done... I'll try organize the largest party at The Grind (which probably will require GSP). Why there? because it is the coolest place.

So..

1. Playfields
    2. Tower War
    3. Party Time

After that, most likely...

4. RK Team in action in a Mission, Subway, Totw, Inner Sanctum, Mercs.
    5. SL Team in action across several playfields, and in missions.
    6. Dunno yet.
    Last edited by Windguaerd; Mar 26th, 2012 at 20:21:05.
    Twitch Channel - Youtube Channel - Twitter - Facebook - Pinterest
    AO Universe - By Players, For Players! The #1 AO Fansite Worldwide - Site Founder (Retired). | AOSpeak - Unofficial AO Teamspeak 3 Server - Founder (Retired). | AO Recipebook - In-Game Recipe/Tradeskill Bot - Founder (Retired).
    Founding member of the Council of Truth Clerical Staff.
    Keep in mind: My posts are my own personal views and thoughts.

Just use slower mouse speed?

Just gonna throw this out there wind...http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=1&theater

That was Pack of Noobs+Dreadloch Corp. members and guests. There was over 100 characters logged into the game, and roughly 50-60 actual individual people. This wasn't even all the people in the org/guests because I actually had tells apologizing from other members because a few of them were in an Ipande raid :P

I think this really shows AO is "Still Alive". That was a big goal we had when we took this picture to show that even though there is so many orgs and people are so split up, we can still band together and keep AO the great game that it is.

I love to watch AO vids, so I must say your project looks very interesting! Aaand time-comsuming.. damn all the hours that went pooofff not only capturing but also editing. I've made many ao movies myself, did you had a chance to look at them ? You can find them at http://www.polbear.no/red/index.php/our-videos. Since I've been capturing many of them myself, I have a few locations you could check out. Some locations I never used in my own vids. I can send them as a PM here in ao forums if you want, or send me your email adress as a PM to me.

As for the quality, there is a limit how good it can get on youtube as you probably know. When finished, you should also provide a download link for best quality. The difference is huge, and from experience (from webstatistics) I know a few people download it even if they can watch in on youtube. With the download speed people have nowdays, there isn't a problem to download a few houndreds of MBs

As for music, that's the most tricky part. To find the right music for the project, but also to find music that youtube won't block because of copyright etc. Not all of us have the ability and equipment to make our own music with the right atmosphere ^^ The best would be to use AO music when possible, but I know it's not an endless pool of AO soundtracks that might fit your vid. However, there's a few tracks that could work... but I'm sure you already have all the AO music to browse through.

EDIT : Oh, and if it fits in your project, use some of the old ao sounds/effects/voices. That always brings back tons of memories.
    Last edited by Strombanni; Mar 26th, 2012 at 20:52:35.
    Strombanni, 220/70/30 Doctor
    General of The Red Brotherhood | Our videos

If a man of learning does not understand brotherhood
    has not the learning been a waste?

Quote Originally Posted by Windguaerd View Post
    Once that scene is done... I'll try organize the largest party at The Grind (which probably will require GSP). Why there? because it is the coolest place.
    I would like to disagree, glass dance floor is pretty darn cool, and a classic to boot.
    -Tanisthonus. 212MP. Unity of the Rose. Atlantean.