Thread: NT Tanking!

NT Tanking!

I want tips

Do you abuse NBG and use Nano regain perks during the downtime after the 50k hit?
    NS2 and kite around during recharge?
    Slap on all your evade gear, full def and sacrifice a leet to the RNG gods?
    Pricecuts - 220 Trader
    Feel free to contact me via PM or in-game.

Raggy - 220 Bureaucrat || Raggeh - 220 Fixer | Back as 'Raggys' - Shade for the time being. | Nuclei - 217 Nanotechnician || Nanobiology - 214 Doctor

Tip #743: As noted in Tip #244, tea bags have an infinite variety of uses. However, there's always one jerk who will want to give you crap over drinking tea. Particularly if in a new town, use this as an opportunity to assert yourself. Any drunken idiot can win a bar fight. It takes a real man to win a bar fight while enjoying a cup of Earl Grey.

PvP or PvM?
    keep smiling
    Najade s, Najengi s, Najngi s, Najmp s, Shadysannz, Toccata, Frobos, Chaodoc, Najcrat, Najtank
    sannz - ENL - NR01-GOLF-11
    a time of changing has begun; the leaves are fallen and undone; inside my spirit starts to run; and all my fears are overcome. - Chiasm, Rewind, 2005

PvM Mostly

I'm currently having issues standing my ground against stuff roughly my level. (215)
    300 CS, Spec Edition Helm+ Back. Infused Defenders etc. The usual fluff but I'm getting eaten
    Pricecuts - 220 Trader

Raggy - 220 Bureaucrat || Raggeh - 220 Fixer | Back as 'Raggys' - Shade for the time being. | Nuclei - 217 Nanotechnician || Nanobiology - 214 Doctor

Tip #743: As noted in Tip #244, tea bags have an infinite variety of uses. However, there's always one jerk who will want to give you crap over drinking tea. Particularly if in a new town, use this as an opportunity to assert yourself. Any drunken idiot can win a bar fight. It takes a real man to win a bar fight while enjoying a cup of Earl Grey.

Well, from the perspective of a 220 NM NT versus Inferno Bosses.

Tree hugging was killed a quite some time ago. Nowadays when a mob looses LoS there is a high chance it will drop agg, return to its spawn point and get a huge HD.
    Soloed quite a few 250 bosses that way when my NT was still TL6. But nuking from within NS2 and hiding behind trees duing the downtime while the boss is rooted out of LoS no longer works.

Kiting? Most of em have >40m range. Not really that much fun.

Tanking? That's what I do. Stack up on evade clsc & aad gear, add HP where you can. After that it's just cycling through the def tools.
    The important part here is that you perk Starfall 10 for the full DwL effect.
    Basically, you open up on the mob, hit NS2 when you start taking dmg. After NS2 you use DwL & VotV followed by OP after which your NS2 is back up. You can support this downtime with NM Coon or your nano layers. Your main dmg will come from SI & DM. Only use NBG when you have to but no sooner than after you used NS2 for the second time. Nuke in between whenever you can, and don't forget to refresh layers. They really do work.

250 Dragons are usually down by the time you hit your 3rd NS2. At least at 220.
    keep smiling
    Najade s, Najengi s, Najngi s, Najmp s, Shadysannz, Toccata, Frobos, Chaodoc, Najcrat, Najtank
    a time of changing has begun; the leaves are fallen and undone; inside my spirit starts to run; and all my fears are overcome. - Chiasm, Rewind, 2005

Thanks for info there. My NT is Solitus so I don't get access to that tasty NM Coom and Dread booster

Guess I have to start farming for NS2 aswell since I only have NS1 atm!
    Pricecuts - 220 Trader

NS2 is pure gold imo. Then again I usually favor def pvp as well, but that's just me.

if you're solitus then survival is pretty much set in stone. What you could play around with as well is Sphere for another 100 aad for 25s every 100s. Could time it with NS downtime.
    keep smiling

Learn how to exploit the mobs you want to kill. For instance I was doing the DB quest on my trader and got to Search and Destory, and didn't have a team and couldn't find anyone to do it. So I got bored and tried to solo the DB bosses dual logged on my NT.

First I tried root abuse. But then I found out they have 40m range,. so that was a no go. Then I tried NS2/NBG/-AAD perks and blind chaining. They have too much HP for an NT to kill solo like that.

Then I tried kiting. Now you may think kiting something with 40m range is stupid. And it is. However, the mobs have guns and 40m range, but behave like a melee mob for some reason. Meaning they will try to stand right next to you to attack you. So basically I just kited them all to death. Didn't even take that long.
    Brofist 220/30/70 Engineer
    Techbro 220/30/70 Nano-Technician

Quote Originally Posted by Brofist View Post
    Learn how to exploit the mobs you want to kill. For instance I was doing the DB quest on my trader and got to Search and Destory, and didn't have a team and couldn't find anyone to do it. So I got bored and tried to solo the DB bosses dual logged on my NT.

First I tried root abuse. But then I found out they have 40m range,. so that was a no go. Then I tried NS2/NBG/-AAD perks and blind chaining. They have too much HP for an NT to kill solo like that.

Then I tried kiting. Now you may think kiting something with 40m range is stupid. And it is. However, the mobs have guns and 40m range, but behave like a melee mob for some reason. Meaning they will try to stand right next to you to attack you. So basically I just kited them all to death. Didn't even take that long.
    Nice story!
    Nt's are pretty cool. I just don't like fighting em.

But in addition to what I said before about knowing how to exploit mobs and their weaknesses I'll help some more.

Basically anything that is rootable and doesn't have a summon can be soloed by an NT, as long as you have something to get out of LoS with, but not far enough away to beak agro (a hill, wall, pillar, anything).

NS2/nano mage cocoon/your top blind + Dazzle With Lights (-700 AAO and -700 inits maxed out) combined with your natural evades can go a long way, and of course NBG if you absolutely have to.

If the mob you are fighting is melee range only you are going to have an easy time, combined with kiting and roots you should make very short work of them. Quark Containment Field from the Theoretical Research perk line is fantastic for this, it is a minute long root that doesn't break on hit or debuffs so it is amazing.

One last little hint of advice, if you are a nanomage (99% of NTs are), you can get access to the perk Pen from nanomage secondary genome perk line. Which is a -600 RS snare, but it isn't in the snare nano tree meaning it will land and work on bosses and it is enough to act as a root versus the vast majority of mobs so you can use Pen as a 30 seconder breather, to regain nano/hp/recast layers/wait for cooldowns.

All in all I would probably say NT is one of the better solo classes in the game, but you really have to be decked out and know what you are doing. It's not like a crat just spamming charms and throwing them against one another, a doc spamming UBT and heals, or a shade spamming drain perks + heal perks with their high evades.
    Last edited by Brofist; Mar 26th, 2014 at 00:12:30.

And don't forget whatever healing you can get ! Survival and first aid kit ! Heal delta !! These are great !

Basically if you play ultra defensively with all your defensive tool, not many damage will go thru, and your HP will go down very slowly, slowly enough so that your easely-overlookable healing tool can make up for that HP loss !

Usually if I run low on my HP buffer I even use the sitting for heal delta + layer spam method untill my HP goes back to like 90%… You can still fit in DM instant shot in beetween the layer spam so you are not totally wasting your time...

About how much MC+AAO does an NT get in decent PVP setup?

that DwL perk for -300 AAO and a -244 AAO blind seem pretty powerful for getting a relative evasion bonus going.

Quote Originally Posted by McKnuckleSamwich View Post

that DwL perk for -300 AAO and a -244 AAO blind seem pretty powerful for getting a relative evasion bonus going.
    2.3 MC + 200 AAO is the minimum to run around with, be it a Max HP setup, nr1… can go up to 2.5 + 200 AAO… nr2 NT as far as I know have just 2k MC + 200 AAO.

On topic, I read before that -AAO debuff not only give you relative evade and increase the chance to dodge mob's hit but that it also drastically reduce the dmg per hit itself since mob generally don't "cap" their weapon MBS… Any confirmation ? Anyway I am pretty sure that NT's -500 AAO debuff is much more efficient at mitigating damage then gettin +500 evades...

Quote Originally Posted by Djiax View Post
    2.3 MC + 200 AAO is the minimum to run around with, be it a Max HP setup, nr1… can go up to 2.5 + 200 AAO… nr2 NT as far as I know have just 2k MC + 200 AAO.

On topic, I read before that -AAO debuff not only give you relative evade and increase the chance to dodge mob's hit but that it also drastically reduce the dmg per hit itself since mob generally don't "cap" their weapon MBS… Any confirmation ? Anyway I am pretty sure that NT's -500 AAO debuff is much more efficient at mitigating damage then gettin +500 evades...
    ohya i'd agree with that.

Its the same reason why engineers are so much better at damage mitigation than soldiers, despite having lower reflect.

having -1210 AAO on a mob hitting an enforcer produces a crapton less damage than the loss of 6% evades (or 4% in SL)

First you have the evasion aspect, but even IF the mob can hit the enf his weapon will be significantly smaller than pre -1210AAO - to the tune of anywhere from about 400dmg to 3000 dmg I think. at Xan, for instance, if you get a DVP buff on Xan you can go the whole fight without seeing the enf HP move. That's obviously in conjunction with other mitigation (-inits+WW being the most effective, followed by reflects, AC's, and evasion and DVP debuffs).

Quote Originally Posted by McKnuckleSamwich View Post

The setup in my signature has very very low nanoskills (which doesn't matter because CB is busted good), and NR1 perked. And I come out to 2221 MC and 211 AAO. No it actually isn't enough nano skills to cast top double/triple, I'm like 20 points short, I could swap beast legs for scouts at the loss of some HP/NR/RS (which isn't really a big deal). But I actually mostly prefer the use of NS2 over doubles/triples, and I can just swap a utility out if I really wanted to cast them (at a loss of 25 AAD). And if you are curious, I sit on 2k dodge range, 1939 duck, 1844 dodge close 1k AAD and have 3k passive NR, and 3500 nano init. All while having a decent 14k HP.

Also top blind is -499 AAO.
    Last edited by Brofist; Mar 26th, 2014 at 05:35:15.

I have a trox NT and Sannz and Bro use the exact same method I do. Liberal use of defense tools, blind chaining, and being aware of what sort of mob you are up against. Ranged mobs are juicy, especially in inferno because so many of them rarely just stop and fire unless you stop first.
    Towerblock, 220/30/70 Engineer
    President of Steadfast

And way too many alts...

I use the same tactics as most, NS2 and blinds.

Mortificant the Eternal is also a very nice companion when NT-tanking.
    When I make mistakes, I use a lot of salt,
    cause salt makes m'steaks taste great!

Beornin - The original Shotgun Adv
    Obsessive - First 220 Trox Engi
    Euthanizer - Reanimated NT