Thread: Crisis of Legitimacy

Independent Reporters of Rubi-Ka Editor: IRRK's Avatar

Crisis of Legitimacy

Crisis of Legitimacy
    Oa Kieretsu

(IRRK) -- The rebirth of the Council of Truth was heralded as a bold move towards bringing about a form of full democracy to the Clan population. Recently however, all eyes seem focused not on the process, but on the whispers and rumors of a crisis of legitimacy that is brewing around Henry Radiman.

Henry Radiman. To many, the man represents the very essence of the Clans. Noble, eloquent, and righteous, he has been a figurehead for the Clan population for over ten years. Mr. Radiman's background has always been shrouded in mystery, from his true origins and Clan affiliation to his family history, and to his mysterious 'pilgrimages' across the northern deserts of Rubi-Ka.

Mr. Radiman was first appointed as the leader of the Council of Truth on January 13, 29467, at the peak of Rubi-Ka's third civil war. He would preside over the final three years of the conflict, guiding Clan forces to strategic victories and pushing Omni-Tek forces to the very gates of Omni-1. To this day, many speculate that the Clans could have taken advantage of the fact that Omni-Tek Corporation of Rubi-Ka (OTRK) was essentially left stranded by the parent corporation, and marched directly on the capitol city.

However, undoubtedly due in no small part to Mr. Radiman's tireless diplomatic efforts, a ninety-day ceasefire was announced between the Clans and OTRK. This diplomatic exchange would eventually lead to a full pull back by Clan forces, and more significantly, to the signing of the Tir Accord.

The Tir Accord and the ensuing Amnesty brought a measure of peace to Rubi-Ka, and an unprecedented level of diplomatic exchange between the two bitter rivals. As was reported by the IRRK in its article entitled The Council of Truth/Dust Brigade Link - Myth or Fact?, this would all change as a result of Mr. Radiman's alleged ties to the Dust Brigade.

These alleged ties were not the only factor undermining Mr. Radiman's legitimacy, and to many Clan members, certainly not the most significant. More disturbingly were his two disappearances, the first in the spring of 29476, and the second after the fall of the Council of Truth in September of the same year. That latter disappearance lasted for almost one full year.

Mr. Radiman has been quite cryptic and unspecific in offering concrete reasons for his abandonment of his sworn duties. In a statement released to UniClanCast on July 26, 29476, Mr. Radiman stated, "I have been away from Tir and from the Council on a pilgrimage, to rediscover myself and the cause for which we fight. The events that transpired in the months before my departure had left me weary and disheartened. Our failure to find a peaceful and unified solution to the conflict that divides our planet was something that I found hard to acknowledge. And the continued absence of certain individuals who were close to me had taken its toll. More than anything, I needed time away from the world."

At the time, many Clan citizens welcomed Mr. Radiman's return, and sympathized with his words. However, less than three months later, he would vanish yet again. It would not be until September of 29477 that he returned, with visions of David Marlin dancing in his head. To this day, Mr. Radiman has yet to publicly explain this latter absence.

The planet of Rubi-Ka, and more specifically, the Clan population, seems at the crux of a pivotal moment in its history. The Council of Truth Clerical Staff, and the various representatives sent to the Council from the smaller Clans, are working patiently trying to establish the needed administrative framework to ensure the proper functioning of this renewed effort. And while there is near unanimous consensus on the need to see this process, and the Council itself, through to fruition, many are unsure and even against Mr. Radiman leading them, as was recently evidenced by a recent discussion on the Council of Truth's gridsite concerning Mr. Radiman's legitimacy.

"You know, he didn't make too many friends with his strange behavior prior to the fall of the Council." Corrine 'Daimoness' Wright, a Veteran with Clan Apocalypse explained in a recent interview. "Vanishing, reappearing, vanishing again. And when we would have needed a speaker for the Clan cause most, he chose to go on a pilgrimage. I do not think a simple explanation would be enough to restore my faith in him."

Ms. Wright echoes a mentality which appears to pervade people's opinions of Mr. Radiman. Yet, she seemed to temper her opposition when asked what Mr. Radiman could do to regain the trust and support of the Clans.

"I still think he has done much for the Council and the Clans. I do not hate him on a personal level. But I lost my trust in him when he left his duties without a word, and failed to appoint any successor or at least someone to take his place until he would return. If he would present an explanation for his absences that can iron out the situation, it would be the first step, yes."

Ms. Wright also offered very clear conditions for Mr. Radiman, should he wish to secure her support again. "The first step would be for him to explain his past actions in a way that people would understand." Ms. Wright began. "Second, he and his staff would need to be more...present. In the past, Radiman was an elusive person, so remote that he seemed unreal to many of us. Mr. Radiman should appear on a more regular schedule, to show the Clanners that he is indeed there for them. I do not think it is impossible for him to regain the trust of the clans, but it's not exactly a walk in the park."

Sonny 'Ramid' Bichrest, President of Clan Veritas, and the spark which ignited the original debate, offered his opinion of Mr. Radiman during a recent discussion in Newland City.

"I've made no secret that during the last convening of the Council of Truth I was against him." Mr. Bichrest stated. "I feel that his decisions were often not beneficial to the clans, and when we needed leadership he wavered and stalled. My problems with Radiman in its most simple form are that he plays his own game, one that the people he claims to represent cannot see. I just hope that the loss of trust in the original Council of Truth has taught him not to ignore the feelings and opinions of the clans." Mr. Bichrest refused to speculate further on the exact nature of Mr. Radiman's alleged 'own game'.

"Mr. Radiman can be a good leader of the Council. However, I too question some of his motives." Cautious yet conciliatory, Abram 'Cemetarygate' Kerans, President of Clan Lifeless Immortality expressed his support for Mr. Radiman. However, his concerns seemed to mirror those of Ms. Wright and Mr. Bichrest. "If people will not believe Radiman's reasons for fleeing and hiding, then they would probably not believe his denying ties to Dust Brigade. However, despite that, I feel some people would find comfort in hearing him make a public statement about his disappearances and his alleged ties to the Dust Brigade. Though allegations are just that, allegations. Until there is concrete proof I see no reason to question whether or not there is any link between the two."

As to Mr. Radiman's most recent disappearance in September of 29476, Mr. Kerans seemed to support Mr. Radiman's decision. "Stay and be incarcerated by Omni-Tek, or live to fight another day. I think his decision to lay low was a wise choice. If not for that, he would probably not be here to help today, but rather behind bars."

Despite the rampant uncertainty as to both Mr. Radiman's past behavior as well as the lingering allegations of his ties to the Dust Brigade, no one seems to have a better alternative in mind. Ms. Wright states that although "Mr. Radiman still has a reputation, it would be hard to find someone that could step in his shoes."

"Is this really the person we want as the public face of the Clans?" Asked Len 'Biggreen' Thompon, President of Clan Rising Phoenix. "I'm not saying he'll have as much influence as before, that has been pretty well stated. It hardly matters though. Put Radiman back in the public view as the spokesperson and a majority of the Clans and Omni who care about politics will shrug and say 'more of the same'. We need a new voice. A new symbol. Who that person is in my mind matters less than who it is not. We need to demonstrate that this is a new Council of Truth and not the reformation of the old. If no-one else of the major Clans will step down to take this role, then I'd suggest that a leader of one of the minor Clans take the spot, or that it rotates between certain members over a period of time."

Has Mr. Radiman's past history of disappearing without notice harmed his credibility too much? Will this brewing crisis impede the efforts of the revived Council of Truth? The above statements are a mere microcosm of a prevailing opinion that Mr. Radiman's recent attempts at re-inspiring the Clan cause may be failing.

To some, Henry Radiman is a leader and visionary. To others, he is a terrorist, a delusional religious fanatic, and a mere shell of a man that The Art Gallery once called an 'Absent Father'. While most of the common Clan population seems to lurk somewhere in between those two extremes, it is becoming increasingly apparent that ever-increasing numbers are tending to the latter.

Re: Crisis of Legitimacy

"Is this really the person we want as the public face of the Clans?" Asked Len 'Biggreen' Thompon, President of Clan Rising Phoenix. "I'm not saying he'll have as much influence as before, that has been pretty well stated. It hardly matters though. Put Radiman back in the public view as the spokesperson and a majority of the Clans and Omni who care about politics will shrug and say 'more of the same'. We need a new voice. A new symbol. Who that person is in my mind matters less than who it is not. We need to demonstrate that this is a new Council of Truth and not the reformation of the old. If no-one else of the major Clans will step down to take this role, then I'd suggest that a leader of one of the minor Clans take the spot, or that it rotates between certain members over a period of time."
    I'm curious as to why so few seem to think a new voice for the clans is a good idea. It seems so obvious it's almost childishly simple, yet so very few people have come out and said it. Do we really need Radiman, or Silverstone, or Bearagar, or any of the other clan celebrities representing us? It seems to me that name recognition should be secondary to the trust of the people and the ability to see the interests of the clans through. At present it is highly questionable whether Radiman can do that.

Like many others, I would be very interested to hear a more complete and credible explanation for his disappearance.
    Delia "Aerinyi" Jett
    General of Whisper's Edge
    Atlantean

A very large crisis indeed...

I'm afraid this article has hit upon a very important point. I am not an official Omni-Tek representative, but I can tell you that the question of the new Council of Truth's legitimacy is very up in the air. Many here at Omni-Tek respect Mr. Radiman for his intelligence and charm, but he is not the kind of effective leader that the Clans need right now.

In order to be recognized as being capable of entering into negotiations with Omni-Tek and the interstellar community, the Council will need an experienced, decisive leader. Without this leadership the new Council will fall victim to the chronic infighting that has plagued the Clans for hundreds of years, just as the old one did. Radiman certainly has the experience, but he is overly passive and lacks the will to lead. This doesn't even begin to take into account that this once rational, down-to-earth man is now claiming to be guided by "visions" of David Marlin.

The only real reason he is being considered now is that experienced polititians are rare in the northern deserts; when one is beset by a combination of harsh environment and relative poverty, luxuries such as a higher education in statecraft can be ill afforded. As such, I don't think there is currently anyone who is remotely qualified to fill the roll of Speaker of the Council of Truth. Quite frankly, I think any chance of this Council succeeding is very, very slim.
    Administrator Jacob Stroud
    Omni-Tek Department Affiliate Program - Administrative Representative, Rimor

Omni-Administrative Services Special Operations Subdepartment K-62
    Commissioner, RKDC

Why would only the negative opinions on Radiman be mentioned? Or, wait, let me guess, no one wants him in power? Right.
    Last edited by Phallos; Mar 18th, 2004 at 05:31:42.
    Arvid Phallos Persson
    Member of The Mockers
    Former Colonel of Mercury Dragons

Originally posted by Phallos
    Why would only the negative opinions on Radiman be mentioned? Or, wait, let me guess, no one wants him in power? Right.
    That's absolutely correct. No one wants Radiman in power, not because he poses a threat to Omni-Tek, but because he is an ineffectual leader who would be unable to rein in the more violent clans. What would be the point of negotiating with the Council if no good comes of it?

I know this may be difficult for some Clansmen to believe, but a strong Council of Truth that brings some semblence of political stability to the north would greatly benefit both Omni-Tek and the Clans. Omni-Tek has long realized that a peaceful solution to the conflict is not only important for ending the horrific violence that the people of Rubi-Ka have had to endure, but is in our best business interests as well. Trying to keep our mines open in the north while suffering from constant terrorist attacks, banditry, and other criminal behavior has proven to be anything but cost effective. It is far better for us to simply let you have "your" land and to coexist in peace.

Unfortunately, that's not how it has worked out. Even after we bent over backwards to try to get the Tir Accords working for the Clans, Radiman proved himself unable to get the Clans respect that agreement. From that point I've only seen his abilities as a leader decline. If Radiman is leading the new Council then the Omni-Tek corporation is going to have a very hard time taking it seriously.
    Administrator Jacob Stroud
    Omni-Tek Department Affiliate Program - Administrative Representative, Rimor

Omni-Administrative Services Special Operations Subdepartment K-62
    Commissioner, RKDC

I certainly have my misgivings about Radiman. He has said a number of times he has returned not to lead the Clans. Do I trust him? Do I belive him? I am not sure. I will say this though, his encouragement and support for the rebirth of the Council of Truth does not necessarily mean that he intends to take an active role beyond that of a voacal supporter. Perhaps that is best for all concerned if he stays out of the spotlight?

He isn't trusted by many with good reason. He still has not offered up decent explanations for his absences. True, one must not place guilt without all the facts or trial, but when your a figure such as he was, perceptions often are more relevant to the masses than fact.
    -Finalizer Vixentrox-
    Former President and Founder,
    -Whisper's Edge-
    Former Member of the Atlantean CoT Clerical Staff

Socializer 73% Killer 53% Explorer 53% Achiever 20%

Kissysuzuki -
    WTB small enough brain and lack of imagination to be able to sit and solo hecklers for 5 days straight.

Information worth reviewing...

Please, direct your attention to the old gridfeeds ((the old animated series, part 4 imparticular)) and watch as it is revealed that the Dust Brigade is behind the influence of one shifty character who is tortured for his failure. Then, notice the scientists working on the cloned controlled technology of Radiman sitting at a table playing chess with a huge hose connected to the back of his head. Let us put the pieces together shall we? Also, Radiman's female friend... oh, what's this? Two of her? One being killed while another is at a bar talking to a cyborg with a friendly voice? Cute...

Wake up and drink some more coffee from The Cup people. Radiman can NOT be trusted. There is a third party pulling strings from on high, and through their control of Radiman, they control Mr Ross who is apparently taking the advice of said-Radiman clone. If these pieces fit together, what then? War is good for the economy... I say check the ICC. THe more conflict over this piece of property they call Rubi-Ka, the more important it becomes. It is all about credits to them. Period.

Take a look at the past and it will reveal STARTLING details about the present and a possible course for the future. The Omegas... Shadowlands... Ergo: Possible emissary of the rumored aliens that will eventually invade Rubi-Ka (scandalous rubbish). Ergo, playing to be our friend, stabs us in the back in the end? Perhaps... Radiman and Ross seeing visions? Anyone looked more into that... pfft...

Most often, the people with thier eyes wide open always looking foreward are more blind than the people with thier eyes closed, remembering the past.

WAKE UP
    The Union - Neutral Org.
    ... Wardencraft ... - Neutral Atrox Keeper
    ... Gizmocraft ... - Neutral Nanomage Engineer
    ... Clobbercraft ... - Neutral Atrox Martial Artist

The Company - Omni Org.
    ... Boomcraft ... - Neutral Solitus Trader
    ... Blitzcraft ... - Omni Opifex Fixer
    ... Ragecraft ... - Omni Atrox Enforcer
    ... Traumacraft ... - Omni Solitus Doctor
    ... Voodoocraft ... - Omni Nanomage Nanotechnician

More videos coming soon on YouTube: BlockAndLode

I had the visions along with others. Radiman came and questioned some of us that had them. Silverstone sent his soldiers to find out about our visions. Lord Gallahad sent Sir Beargar to also investigate us that had visions. I do not think Radiman or Ross were behind them for sure.
    -Finalizer Vixentrox-
    Former President and Founder,
    -Whisper's Edge-
    Former Member of the Atlantean CoT Clerical Staff

Socializer 73% Killer 53% Explorer 53% Achiever 20%

Kissysuzuki -
    WTB small enough brain and lack of imagination to be able to sit and solo hecklers for 5 days straight.

That's my point...

If Radiman and Ross were not behind them, then who I ask?

I have great su****ians about Ergo. I also have great su****ians about Radiman...hell, I am a walking X-File...

Maybe too many paint-chips...
    The Union - Neutral Org.
    ... Wardencraft ... - Neutral Atrox Keeper
    ... Gizmocraft ... - Neutral Nanomage Engineer
    ... Clobbercraft ... - Neutral Atrox Martial Artist

The Company - Omni Org.
    ... Boomcraft ... - Neutral Solitus Trader
    ... Blitzcraft ... - Omni Opifex Fixer
    ... Ragecraft ... - Omni Atrox Enforcer
    ... Traumacraft ... - Omni Solitus Doctor
    ... Voodoocraft ... - Omni Nanomage Nanotechnician

More videos coming soon on YouTube: BlockAndLode

Colonel Phallos,

if you read my comments carefully then you will see that I am not completely opposed but voicing my concern. If I would consider Mr. Radiman totally untrustworthy, I would talk a lot different. I have not only voiced my own oppinion but that of a lot of people I have talked to. I may not be actively involved, but that does not mean I do not care any more about what's happening on Rubi-Ka.

For now, I am waiting. It is not the time to decide - yet. The new Council is slowly taking a shape, and Mr. Radiman is one of those working towards this goal. It will not be easy for him to regain the trust but it is possible.

Peace was always hard to get and even harder to maintain, but without a place for the clans to gather and discuss, there's no option for peace.

-Corrine 'Daimoness' Wright
    from the Shadowlands
    Corrine Daimoness Wright
    - Veteran of Apocalypse
    - General of the Mercury Dragons (ret.)
    - Member of the Grumpy Old Crat Bunch

If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen. - Samuel Adams

The problem with the Council of Truth is and always has been that its form runs so counter to the spirit of democracy within the Clans. An appointed council, with its appointed leader, has always lacked legitimacy, and I see little in the current attempts to resurrect the institution that would change that. Far be it from me to tell the Clans how to run their business, but I suspect that only a governing body with a STRONG mandate from the majority of rank-and-file Clan members will ever stand much chance of making a difference.

Unfortunately, there seems little chance of such a mandate emerging any time in the near future. The Clans are so divided between hawks and doves that I see little chance that a Clan government can hope to represent interests more than half the population.

-Blackpetal
    Senior Partner, Schuemann & Associates (on leave)

That is indeed a valid point you make, and I have given it a lot of thought in the past.

Someone raised the question about why there has to be one single government on Rubi-Ka. I do not think there will be such a thing anytime in the near future. I do think however that if there are enough clans backing the CoT then a government could emerge from it - one that governs a part of the clan lands and speaks only for those clans that plead allegiance to it.

Democracy is a vague concept. Throughout the millenia, many different ways have been tried to make a government by the people, for the people work. Many have failed at one time or the other. A democracy however needs certain prerequisites for it to even work. A social structure, level of education, a functional middle class. I do not think that we are at a point yet where it would really work on a larger scale. A lot of clans make democracy work on the small scale though. We have to start from there, and then increase.

Until then, always keep in mind that the Council of Truth is not a government of the clans, and the speaker is not the formal leader of the clans. The CoT is merely the agora where the clans meet and discuss, a place where we can come to terms with each other. The speaker is a neutral - aligned to no clan - person that acts like a catalyst and the one to voice our decisions.

It's a long road and we're yet again at the start of it. The new Council is different from the old in the way it works. It can work. Let's not bring it down before it has started.

There is always hope.
    Corrine Daimoness Wright
    - Veteran of Apocalypse
    - General of the Mercury Dragons (ret.)
    - Member of the Grumpy Old Crat Bunch

If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen. - Samuel Adams