Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: TSW is flopping - affects development of other games?

Quote Originally Posted by Awikun View Post
    I started to play AO 9 years ago, had some breaks but ALWAYS came back.

I played Age of Conan for almost 3 months, quit and never came back...

Few months ago I was sure that I would join TSW but the more revievs and posts on different forums I read the less I wanted to play it. Up to know I did not buy TSW and probably never will (at least for as long as AO will be online)

Everything I write below is my PERSONAL point of view so I do not expect other ppl to agree with me, just want to share what I think and feel.

AO is in a way unique and there is no other MMORPG that is as hard to learn in every possible way. For new players it has a lot of hurdles and brings a lot of frustration in every possible way:
    When you start you are always gimped and poor, there are so many things you do not know or do not understand, the gap between gimped noob and experienced pvp twink is so huge that it looks like twinks were gods or exploiters, even after several months or few years there are still some things that you have never knew about ....

So what kind of player like AO and what kind of players think that AO is a piece of crap?
    There is no point in explaing who/what kind of players like AO, but I am sure that this kind of player is for sure a minority compared to all players on the market.

FC wants to attract as many players as possible so they do not want to make another game like AO because as I explained above such game would attract only a small percentage of players.

Instead they want to make a game that would be : very good looking (excellent graphics, sound, animations) will have a popular and interesting main theme (thats why FC has choosen Conan or now modern world + conspiracy theories like "X files", will have very easy rules (so instead of lot of attributes, implants, huds, utils, armour, perks etc, will have no level and a huge flexibility = easy to play with.

Now for the worst part (the one that made me quit AoC) combat:
    In AO a well built twink with auto target on and auto attack on will always kill a gimped char (as long as it is not NT)
    In AoC there is no twinking at all and your equipment makes no more than 5%-10% of a difference, however all fight is based on speed of your fingers and reflexes, like in Counter Stike

When FC started to create TSW they wanted to attract a huge number of players so they decided to make a game that is a lot closer to AoC than to AO.

So for me it is not the type of game I want to spend my time on ...

One last thing I noticed about AO and AOC (possibly TSW as well):

AO had a relatively small number of players but majority of them were happy and loyal (at least for a very long time untill FC [selfedited to avoid infraction points]

AoC (and maybe TSW) had a lot more customers in the begining but very little of them became loyal paying customers.

From what I read TSW did not even attract so many customers at start ...
    but the good thing for FC is that it looks like more of them will be loyal (compared to AoC)

Good luck FC and do not abandon AO PLEASE !!!
    Try it, it is really not that bad. Maybe the pvp is not finished but the game got an fantastic atmopshere. And the first 30 days are not expensive. With about 20€ incl. game u are in. Ofc there are a punch of bugs left but hey, I still find bugs in AO which are there for many many years.

Quote Originally Posted by Demoder View Post
    Summary of Funcom stock the past three months:
    Think of a eagle which is flying. It climbs to higher altitudes, and the world is awesome. Then someone shoots it. It's winged. It's losing altitude. But hey, it's not that bad. It was just a scratch, and he's recovering altitude again.
    *smack* faceplant into a window.
    Love it. If I was silly enough to invest in FC, I would do it with basically an opposite mentally to any other company that launches products - say the evil Apple.

With Apple, you try and buy during those down times - say a few months ago (or the 90s if you were a lucky bastard) when people said the sky was falling. Now with leaks (intentional or not) and upcoming product launches, the stock is on the rise and will shortly explode. Sounds about right for many companies.

But with FC, the time to buy is now, post-release. The game flopped compared to propped up standards. The only way to go is up - whether that's rebounding with a solid subscriber base or teases for new products. Once elevated coverage reaches a peak - kind of like TSW a few months before launch - sell, sell, sell.

So... who wants to snatch up FC at $3.18? It's kind of like Ford circa GM/Chevy bailouts at like $2. If you took the gamble to gobble up stock, once it went up it was pure juicy profit.
    Ruffixx, 220/30/66 Omni Opifex Fixer
    Pugilius, 206/30/49 Omni Opifex MA
    Blessedbrawl, 200/0 Omni Froob Opifex MA
    Medor, 199/23/42 Neutral Solitus Doctor
    Vindicius, 189/20/46 Omni Atrox Enforcer
    Evilrilius, 100/10 Omni Nano MP - Foremans Killing Machine

Proud General of Obsidian Order

Quote Originally Posted by Ruffixx View Post
    So... who wants to snatch up FC at $3.18? It's kind of like Ford circa GM/Chevy bailouts at like $2. If you took the gamble to gobble up stock, once it went up it was pure juicy profit.
    It's actually 3.18NOK (~$0.56) per share.
    ::: My Tools & Stuff :::
    ::: Cratine Savagedheals Enfine Zoewrangle Demoder :: Solitron Demotionform :: IRC Demoder Savagedlight :::
    ::: AOItems :: Blog :: CIDB :: HelpBot :: ItemsBot :: PlanetMap Viewer :: Tower Wars :: Twitter :::

Quote Originally Posted by Demoder View Post
    It's actually 3.18NOK (~$0.56) per share.
    What's the required minimum share? Anyone know?

Also, isn't there a minimum share price they're supposed to stay above to keep from being de-listed, like the U.S. stock exchange?

I just find it risky even at such a ridiculously low price because, if there's any company that could manage a negative stock price, it would be Funcom.
    Last edited by Phixalicious; Aug 18th, 2012 at 18:07:40.

Not sure if this supports the whole "TSW is flopping" debate or not, but did anyone notice that Amazon.com is selling TSW for half price this weekend?

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by Phixalicious View Post
    Means stated there was an expansion planned for after the new engine release.
    Yes and no. At some point after the engine release there will be an expansion. This is different than saying we have an expansion planned.

See, this way Lazy cannot confirm that developers would rather spend time planning future content than work on the engine!

Quote Originally Posted by Ilaliya View Post
    Yes and no. At some point after the engine release there will be an expansion. This is different than saying we have an expansion planned.

See, this way Lazy cannot confirm that developers would rather spend time planning future content than work on the engine!
    confirmed: devs would rather work on new engin-- wait wat.

Confirmed: Devs would rather spend time working on new engine than plan future content to keep it alive.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Confirmed: Devs would rather spend time covering their asses from Lazy than work on new engine!

Or maybe not rather..... more have to....

I say blame Lazy for the delays in the engine!
    Bainzyy - Level 220/30 Shade
    PvP-ing - RP-ing - PvMing

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy View Post
    confirmed: devs would rather work on new engin-- wait wat.
    confirmed: Lazy would rather 'wait wat' than confirm
    My posts are my own and do not reflect the views of my current nor former employers/clients

Remco "Vhab" van Oosterhout
    Former Anarchy Online Game Programmer

Live Chat Support | E-mail Support | Forum Rules | AODevs | Vha.Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Vhab View Post
    confirmed: Lazy would rather 'wait wat' than confirm
    confirmed: vhab would rather troll the forums than work on the game!

Confirmed: Devs enjoy bullying Lazy, kind of ironic and a change of roles.....

Funcom employee

Confirmed: Confirmed.
    Brad L. McAtee / Kintaii
    Former Senior AO Designer & Jack of All Trades
    (2007 - 2012)
    ~~ Twitter :: Facebook :: Norse Noir ~~

Do you think that the progression of finishing the engine convert, will go
    faster now that TSW is released and finished? I know you have different groups
    for each game, but i am sure there are more people involve when a game
    is going to be released vs updated.

Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    Confirmed: Confirmed.
    Confirmed: Kintaii can Confirm.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironmax View Post
    Do you think that the progression of finishing the engine convert, will go
    faster now that TSW is released and finished? I know you have different groups
    for each game, but i am sure there are more people involve when a game
    is going to be released vs updated.
    That's why you either lay off the majority or put them to work on the next game
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Confirmed that it was confirmed in January 2012:

Quote Originally Posted by lindelu View Post
    Finally, as a more long time vision, I'm seing us planning for the next expansion or booster pack once we are done with what we're already working on. It's a little early yet to say when, but it's definitely on our horizon!

No actually, that's exactly what was said. http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...7&postcount=39

Means
    Past GD

What's the next expansion / booster called (after the engine update)?

Unnamed as of yet but there are plans to release one in 2012.

And if you'd like, I can quote probably a dozen needed and asked for things from that "answer" thread that, per usual for FC, have failed to see the light of day during the timeframes given.
    Last edited by Phixalicious; Aug 20th, 2012 at 19:22:21.

First they have to release AO with the new engine, i am sure you understand how much work this is + they are also working with new content design that is looking very nice, that alone is an expansion it self. Ones the transaction is complete am sure they will make expansion plans
    and Ao can run in to oblivion .. There is only 4 months left of this year, i would rather see
    they keep there promise of the engine, than any plans about expansion.

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by Phixalicious View Post
    No actually, that's exactly what was said. http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...7&postcount=39

Means
    Past GD

What's the next expansion / booster called (after the engine update)?

Unnamed as of yet but there are plans to release one in 2012.

And if you'd like, I can quote probably a dozen needed and asked for things from that "answer" thread that, per usual for FC, have failed to see the light of day during the timeframes given.
    Yeah I can confirm we aren't going to release a booster / expansion in 2012. The biggest block of content we are releasing in 2012 is the New Player Experience... and it's pretty huge.

Edit Troll: If you want we can charge for it and call it a booster
    Last edited by Ilaliya; Aug 20th, 2012 at 19:34:49.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast