Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Friday with Means - October 15th, 2010 - Aliens OMG

Quote Originally Posted by Ydernola View Post
    So where is the new engine progress, that this guys-that-were-not-removed-from-working-on is? I think the awnser lie in the Q2 2010 Funcom Presentation, if you read it carefully, you will learn the AO future:

http://www.funcom.com/wsp/funcom/fro...&table=CONTENT

Go on, read it, i think you will be enlightened as i am at this moment.
    This is much more recent info that we got at the AO event a few weeks back.

There's a single dev working pretty much full time on the new engine, nothing is interrupting his work, halloween, s7 etc is all completely unrelated to his work.
    His job is to integrate the new AoC engine into AO and make it work. Nothing else.

In contrary to all self proclaimed experts posting before me in this thread claim, the new engine progresses at a steady rate.
    It's NOT stalled, it's being worked on every day of the week.
    Formerly Vhab.
    Once upon a time ruled a server. And then sold out. Sorry.

Granted, it's not stalled. Still isn't at a acceptable pace, hence why no one compromise on a fixture. I'm afraid it will be to late by then.
    Fumbling Ydernola Fingers - Lvl 220 / 25 / 68 NT Equip
    Dragon Thleed Slayer - Lvl 220 / 28 / 70 Doctor - Equip
    Agro Magy Magnet 220 / 30 / 70 Soldier Equip (Ungimping in progress)
    The Xopxop Machine - Luvchild - Lvl 174 / 19 Advie Equip
    Apparatchikk 174/16 Crat
    Belchior 220 / 16 Keeper

And 8 more unfinished projects...

President of Asgard & Midgard

Granted, it's not stalled. Still isn't at a acceptable pace, hence why no one compromise on a fixture. I'm afraid it will be to late by then.
    And what's an acceptable pace? Right this ****ing minute?

Where is everyone getting this benchmark that says Funcom is being to slow? Did I miss a memo somewhere along the line?
    Enter the Information Age
    Proc Descriptions

Hunt, and be hunted: The Hunting Grounds | Alien Tower Field :Aliens, that really invade!
    Pet argo management: Servants Protection | Expand the Notum Silo :Make it worthwhile

Rimor
    Tesgri - 220|17|58 (Omni Agent)
    Leara - 220|25|62 (Omni Doctor)
    Ponygirl - 220|25|56 (Omni Bureaucrat)
    Means: "We have done way dumber things than this..."

Quote Originally Posted by Ayria View Post

Where is everyone getting this benchmark that says Funcom is being to slow? Did I miss a memo somewhere along the line?

So your satisfied with the status quo?
    Apparatchikk 174/16 Crat
    Belchior 220 / 16 Keeper

Erm, 2+ years =/= a ****ing minute. The bottom line is too much was/is being tackled for such a small team, in my opinion. It's about priorities... did we really need a new 151-200 apf, S7? Did we really need new BS level ranges before "balancing" was implemented? The list can go on.

"Celebrating six years is a fantastic milestone for Anarchy Online, and we are genuinely honored to still entertain so many people," said Craig Morrison, Producer and Director on Anarchy Online. "As we now introduce a new addition to Anarchy Online we have ensured that our paying customers get certain privileges. At the same time we also want to show our commitment to taking the overall gameplay experience forward. I am therefore glad to announce that we are developing a new graphics engine for the game, replacing our entire server farm, as well as developing exciting booster packs which include new playfields and more."

June 27, 2007
    Apparatchikk 174/16 Crat
    Belchior 220 / 16 Keeper

I found one mention of AO in those docs, so AoC's and AO's server running cost got lowered by 400k$... Did I miss anything?
    Ekarona 220/30 Female Solitus Engineer, long term member of Northern Star and proper "poor" gimp.
    Ekaslave 220/low Female Solitus Trader, FLAT(TM) pricing TS, almost all can do!
    Ekaros almost there/almost there too Male Solitus Martial-Artist.
    Ekadv gimp/gimp Female Opifex Adventurer

If you didnt missed the lag and the LD's, you didnt missed anything. I bet there are still people convince is something on theyr side or theyr isp side.
    Apparatchikk 174/16 Crat
    Belchior 220 / 16 Keeper

So your satisfied with the status quo?
    I don't try to presume that I know what the status quo is. I have no idea how long an engine is supposed to take, thus I cannot, and will not, say that one is taking to long to be developed. For all I know Funcom could be beating estimated completion time.

When's the last time you read a documentation of the length of time it took a team, the size of Funcoms, to write a new engine?

You can go and talk about some other game, like WoW or EVE or EQ or whatever and claim that "Their dev team can do it in a year!" and that's all well and good, but is their dev team the size of Funcoms?

More people == faster completion. Funcom doesn't have that large of a staff base.

I already posted this once, but if you want Funcom to work faster then they need more staff, more staff means more money. Their money: comes from us. Obviously you're not willing to give them that money, as you've already canceled your accounts, yet you still feel that they should just roll out the new engine on your schedule.

So again.

Where's this memo that I must have missed stating just how long a new engine is supposed to take?

Quote Originally Posted by Joehoo725 View Post
    Erm, 2+ years =/= a ****ing minute. The bottom line is too much was/is being tackled for such a small team, in my opinion. It's about priorities... did we really need a new 151-200 apf, S7? Did we really need new BS level ranges before "balancing" was implemented? The list can go on.
    Priorities are subjective. If you're sour because we got new BS before rebalancing to bad.

If you didnt missed the lag and the LD's, you didnt missed anything. I bet there are still people convince is something on theyr side or theyr isp side.
    Matter of fact I have missed them. I haven't LDd in a while and only get lag in a few zones like the Unicorn outpost.

If you're connecting to an MMO expecting the connection to not only be stable but also be fast all the time your expectations are unrealistic. Every single MMO out there has issues with lag and LD. Every single one of them. Even something like SecondLife which I've head has some 2,000 servers dedicated to the world lags and crashes A LOT.
    Proc Descriptions

Hunt, and be hunted: The Hunting Grounds | Alien Tower Field :Aliens, that really invade!
    Pet argo management: Servants Protection | Expand the Notum Silo :Make it worthwhile

Rimor

Priorities are subjective. If you're sour because we got new BS before rebalancing to bad.
    I'm not sour, I could care less what happens with BS - I merely mentioned it as something that wasn't needed at the time.

You're absolutely right, priorities are subjective. What's your point? I'd imagine the team would consider the engine upgrade a top priority, what with the game being almost 10 years old and still trying to compete with current games at current price levels.

My point is that, for something that was announced 2+ years ago and is, in my opinion, a potentially game-changing update (i.e. in the form of an influx of people)... you'd think that would be a central focus, not something progressing in parallel with a slew of other projects. Unless there's only 1 person that can tackle certain parts of implementing the new engine and is therefore creating a bottleneck; certainly possible.

I don't try to presume that I know what the status quo is. .
    It's no presumption, its a fact. By your logic, we should finance FC beforehand so they can release that new MMORPG faster?
    Apparatchikk 174/16 Crat
    Belchior 220 / 16 Keeper

Quote Originally Posted by Joehoo725 View Post
    My point is that, for something that was announced 2+ years ago and is, in my opinion, a potentially game-changing update (i.e. in the form of an influx of people)... you'd think that would be a central focus, not something progressing in parallel with a slew of other projects. Unless there's only 1 person that can tackle certain parts of implementing the new engine and is therefore creating a bottleneck; certainly possible.
    And would you have wanted to play the game, with no new content, for two years so that the engine could come a bit sooner? For that matter, how do we know it was delayed by new content creation at all? From what Means said, even in this FWM, the guys working on the new engine aren't working on S7 so having no new content at all may not have sped up the new engine at all. And we'd have more people leaving because the game was stagnant and boring and we had all our alphas and stuff from LoX and didn't feel like playing anymore because the game was boring.

As we can plainly see there's plenty of people who do not have the patience to wait for that long for something new to come along. The only reason many have stayed is because they love the game and there's always something they can do.

It's no presumption, its a fact. By your logic, we should finance FC beforehand so they can release that new MMORPG faster?
    The Secret World?

Where do you think they're getting the money for that staff from? Thin air? Where do you think Blizzard got the money to start WoW? Right. From money generated by their other products!

Wow. Complex stuff huh.

If you thought all your money was going to AO you're a fool. It goes to Funcom, who then allocates a certain amount of money towards each of their projects.

I know it's confusing because we refer to Means and Co as Funcom, but they're not, they're a division of Funcom. Means doesn't run the company (afaik) he just heads off the AO division.
    Proc Descriptions

Rimor

And would you have wanted to play the game, with no new content, for two years so that the engine could come a bit sooner? For that matter, how do we know it was delayed by new content creation at all? From what Means said, even in this FWM, the guys working on the new engine aren't working on S7 so having no new content at all may not have sped up the new engine at all. And we'd have more people leaving because the game was stagnant and boring and we had all our alphas and stuff from LoX and didn't feel like playing anymore because the game was boring.

As we can plainly see there's plenty of people who do not have the patience to wait for that long for something new to come along. The only reason many have stayed is because they love the game and there's always something they can do.

The Secret World?

Where do you think they're getting the money for that staff from? Thin air? Where do you think Blizzard got the money to start WoW? Right. From money generated by their other products!

Wow. Complex stuff huh.

If you thought all your money was going to AO you're a fool. It goes to Funcom, who then allocates a certain amount of money towards each of their projects.

I know it's confusing because we refer to Means and Co as Funcom, but they're not, they're a division of Funcom. Means doesn't run the company (afaik) he just heads off the AO division.
    Ok you got a offensive personality when confronted. Since i dont engage in forum PVP, i will just leave two things for you to think about: in your mind when is it then acceptable that this new engine comes out? Do you feel that is it worth to pay for this game as it is?
    Apparatchikk 174/16 Crat
    Belchior 220 / 16 Keeper

Just another fanboys vs whiners thread...
    i R not spik engrish

Ok you got a offensive personality when confronted.
    If by offensive you mean I express my opinion then yes I am offensive. If you mean insulting I fail to see where I attacked anyone.

Since i dont engage in forum PVP, i will just leave two things for you to think about: in your mind when is it then acceptable that this new engine comes out?
    I don't know. As I said I am not making presumptions on how long it should take because that is not my field of expertise. The simple "When it's done" becomes my answer then because that's when I'd want it released. I don't want some rushed, half finished job; I want a working, well tested, engine. If that means taking two plus years then so be it.

Do you feel that is it worth to pay for this game as it is?
    Yes. Seeing as it's the game, plus more, that I started paying for some four years ago. If you don't like the game now, why did you like it when you started playing?
    Proc Descriptions

Rimor

I already posted this once, but if you want Funcom to work faster then they need more staff, more staff means more money. Their money: comes from us.
    Not according to the other devil's advocates.

coming soon 2008 -hint-
    (or was it 2007? 2006? dunno... but anyways, claiming fc is not slow on this is a statement even 99% of the fanbois wouldnt agree ^^)
    -[nitr0]-
    sexiest trox alive

Quote Originally Posted by Means
    (not the engine guys before anyone asks)
    lmao
    yeash you know ......

they should make new sections in the forums labelled "New Engine Delay Discussion", "Neverending/Pointless Debates", "I /wrists cuz Funcom Hates Me" and my favorite; "If I were GM, I Would do This..."

this should clear out most of the irrelevant gibberish from FWM's threads.

also, on a serious note; omg funcom u Suxxzorr!!!!11!!1

*edit* also, was cleaning out my old computer hardware from the shed and found a racing game steering wheel for my computer and the name of the company that made it was "Sector 7". kinda funny, prolly just coincidence. just thought I'd share that for lol's.
    Last edited by SoulTarder; Oct 17th, 2010 at 22:38:29.
    wtf happened to my avatars eyebrows?

I used to listen to Dubstep in the 90's... every time I connected to the internet.

I just saw sector 9 today. What a depressing movie
    Veteran of Equilibrium

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast