Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: Hanging Up the Hat - Goodbye from Kintaii

Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    My new project can't be compared to AO in any way. Not really a "I'd prefer this over that" kind of thing. The time had come for me to try something different...and I really couldn't have found anything more distant from AO.
    But...do they let you wear the Teletubby costume?

Later
    Colawren - Gimpest stripped adventurer on RK1.
    Reroll Enthusiast.
    The alts: Colawrenn, Iriotz, Empea

Proud member of Forsaken and Unity of the Rose.

Sorry to see you go
    General of The Red Brotherhood
    TRB Videos Our Videos

Last edited by Onkelolsen; Sep 21st, 2012 at 22:50:07.
    Most gimped ranged nanomage adv. to ever hit Rimor

Its sad to see you leave. Thanx for all the work you have done.
    Soldier level 220/ax30/le70 veteran of clan First Light
    Bureaucrat level 174/ax24/le42 advisor of clan First Light

Damn! This is bad news. Kintaii has, in my opinion, been one of the best in the FC dev team.

Can I haz ur stuff? Hmmm..nvm I will never have enough bags.

Good luck in the future!

Going to miss the best "wall of text" messages in the whole universe. Good luck and have fun.

PS-Keep the hat.

thank you kintaii

i also want to post this here so the devs will take note.

You want to save funcom and make millions of bucks? then release an AO client that can be played on Kindle fire, ipads, googe pads, and the current generation phones. You will get 10's of thousands of new players and make BANK from an item shop.

please take this seriously.. you guys will change the face of arrakis.

Quote Originally Posted by doubbleagent View Post
    thank you kintaii

You want to save funcom and make millions of bucks? then release an AO client that can be played on Kindle fire, ipads, googe pads, and the current generation phones. You will get 10's of thousands of new players and make BANK from an item shop.

Gotta love these ridiculous ideas on how to save FC/AO that are totally unfounded in reality
    I am wiser than any god or scientist, for I have squared the circle and cubed Earth's sphere, thus I have created 4 simultaneous separate 24 hour days within a 4-corner (as in a 4-corner classroom) rotation of Earth. See for yourself the absolute proof.

Goodbye Kintaii. You were/still are a great game dev. You were also and inspiration to me, personally. I know you and I never really talked, but the one time we did, and i'll never forget it, was in the minecraft server. I asked you about being a game dev, and you told me just how much you loved it. You gave me hope that I could one day follow in your footsteps. I know this all sounds cheesy, but I just finished some mac n' cheese and felt there was just enough left to put in this forum post. But in all reality, were going to miss you bro. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by doubbleagent View Post
    thank you kintaii

I highly doubt that the Dreamworld engine can run on a tablet, much less a phone. I could be wrong, but only the FC Devs (not just AO, but AoC and TSW since they all use the same engine) could answer that fully.

If it was possible, it would be insane that they did not do it, because it would certainly pay off pretty quickly, but like I said... highly doubt that is possible.
    Twitch Channel - Youtube Channel - Twitter - Facebook - Pinterest
    AO Universe - By Players, For Players! The #1 AO Fansite Worldwide - Site Founder (Retired). | AOSpeak - Unofficial AO Teamspeak 3 Server - Founder (Retired). | AO Recipebook - In-Game Recipe/Tradeskill Bot - Founder (Retired).
    Founding member of the Council of Truth Clerical Staff.
    Keep in mind: My posts are my own personal views and thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Windguaerd View Post
    I highly doubt that the Dreamworld engine can run on a tablet, much less a phone. I could be wrong, but only the FC Devs (not just AO, but AoC and TSW since they all use the same engine) could answer that fully.

If it was possible, it would be insane that they did not do it, because it would certainly pay off pretty quickly, but like I said... highly doubt that is possible.
    I'm not sure what makes you both think that more people would be inclined to play AO if it was available on tablets/phones...

I mean AO is already too complex for the average PC gamer, let alone the super-casual Iphone gamer...

Also I can't see the interface (as in, controls) being suitable for touchscreens at all. And I'm not even sure how to adapt that so it would be playable...
    Thornee - resurrected lowbie, former 200 Fixer
    Stannerd - 220 Soldier
    Megusta - TL7 Doc
    Kaleeh - TL5 Shade

Quote Originally Posted by Windguaerd View Post

The entire engine would have to be rewritten. Phones (and I believe tablets, but I'm not entirely sure about them) use ARM while PCs use x86/x64. It's 2 completely different CPU architectures, and programs made for 1 aren't compatible with the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Esssch View Post
    The entire engine would have to be rewritten. Phones (and I believe tablets, but I'm not entirely sure about them) use ARM while PCs use x86/x64. It's 2 completely different CPU architectures, and programs made for 1 aren't compatible with the other.
    You can cross compile the code with Clang/LLVM and set the destination architecture (you can do the same in gcc but it has less options), although it won't necessarily work out of the box if you've embedded any ASM in your code that's architecture specific (and of course any potential bugs you introduce doing this).

220s "Wakizaka", "Sneakygank", "Wakimango", "Wakisolja", "Tardersauce", "Bushwaki", "Midgetgank", "Bugfixxx", "Ramsbottom", "Paskadoc"
    200s Chrisd, Malema, Delbaeth
    TL5s Youfail, Bugfixx, Riothamus, Johndee

Proud President of Haven | TL5 PvP

Plus the performance hit, having an extra layer in between CPU and the code.

You're already running a java layer on android, and who knows what on iphones
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Given Dreamworld is build on DirectX, I'd think that and other APIs would be a far bigger problem that which CPU (which isn't really that difficult a problem).
    "Do not try and catch the hamster... that's impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth... There is no hamster, only a deadbeat rollerat..."

[Social] Means: I don't think we removed any bosses because of bad pathing...there wouldnt be any left if we did :P

AO Character Skill Emulator and Character Parser and AO Implant Layout Helper

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbane View Post
    Given Dreamworld is build on DirectX, I'd think that and other APIs would be a far bigger problem that which CPU (which isn't really that difficult a problem).
    Yip. They should have build an OpenGL engine instead for targetting cross-platform play.

/flame-on

220s "Wakizaka", "Sneakygank", "Wakimango", "Wakisolja", "Tardersauce", "Bushwaki", "Midgetgank", "Bugfixxx", "Ramsbottom", "Paskadoc"
    200s Chrisd, Malema, Delbaeth
    TL5s Youfail, Bugfixx, Riothamus, Johndee

Proud President of Haven | TL5 PvP

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678