Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: For fun - Project Newbie

If your goal is to "provide an educational experience for new players," I would pick a profession that a lot of new players are likely to chose - Enforcer, Soldier, Martial Artist. I know when I was choosing my first character, I wasn't thinking "Oh I'm gonna be a badass Nanomage Shade" but rather thinking how cool one of the above mentioned professions would be.

Like you've said, it isn't an original idea - it's been done many times - even filmed. One fault about players that have documented this type of education game play (especially in Anarchy Online) is lack of explanation.
    For example, one segment they will have no gear/implants/etc, the next part - they are in full cc/custom implants which as new players, don't know the process of obtaining and equipping said gear.

If you just want to make things different or challenging rather than completely educational, then go with...
    THE BADASS NANOMAGE SHADE... of DOOM!!!11one

If it's the latter, go with Atrox Enforcer. Either way, it should be an interesting read - Good luck!
    Last edited by Repopulation; Mar 8th, 2014 at 19:35:57.

Quote Originally Posted by Aiken View Post
    It lives! I see your DodgeRng is still working for you Lazy
    lucky for me dodgerng works on rockets

Quote Originally Posted by Repopulation View Post
    If your goal is to "provide an educational experience for new players," I would pick a profession that a lot of new players are likely to chose - Enforcer, Soldier, Martial Artist. I know when I was choosing my first character, I wasn't thinking "Oh I'm gonna be a badass Nanomage Shade" but rather thinking how cool one of the above mentioned professions would be.

Like you've said, it isn't an original idea - it's been done many times - even filmed. One fault about players that have documented this type of education game play (especially in Anarchy Online) is lack of explanation.
    For example, one segment they will have no gear/implants/etc, the next part - they are in full cc/custom implants which as new players, don't know the process of obtaining and equipping said gear.

If you just want to make things different or challenging rather than completely educational, then go with...
    THE BADASS NANOMAGE SHADE... of DOOM!!!11one

If it's the latter, go with Atrox Enforcer. Either way, it should be an interesting read - Good luck!
    I intend to include twinking and such as well Is your vote for the Nanomage Shade or the Atrox enforcer!? ^^
    General of Horizon. Member of Unity. Frequent visitor of Free Spirits and The Last Element.

Nave [ 220 Solitus Fixer ] Qien [ 220 Solitus Engineer ] Navezero [ 200 Solitus Soldier ]
    Rafeg
    [ 150 Opifex Agent ] Midriff [ 60 Atrox Soldier ] Lowriff [ 30 Atrox Keeper ]

Also: Giant horde of alts.

Quote Originally Posted by Rurounin View Post
    I intend to include twinking and such as well Is your vote for the Nanomage Shade or the Atrox enforcer!? ^^
    As much fun as a wacky profession and breed would be, I might have to vote trox enf, simply because of solo capabilities - remember, you're playing Anarchy Online. Playing an awkward breed/prof combo might quickly lead to the end of your project. (Depending on your determination of course!)

Big downside, a player with an enforcer can do things that some players cannot do with other professions, and when that enforcer is a 10+ year veteran, a 'newbie' playing a gimp profession won't be able to achieve the same success. Basically, a long time vet enforcer versus a new player with a shade - the new player doesn't stand a chance.

So, finally, I discard my previous votes, the downside easily outweighs the ability to solo. An Adv would be a good balanced choice...(Not counting PvP) so that's my vote, breed doesn't matter.

A lot of votes for an adventurer, I was expecting something along the "nanomage shade" line to be honest :P

Keep em coming! Going to keep the voting up for a bit longer before I start the project.
    General of Horizon. Member of Unity. Frequent visitor of Free Spirits and The Last Element.

Nave [ 220 Solitus Fixer ] Qien [ 220 Solitus Engineer ] Navezero [ 200 Solitus Soldier ]
    Rafeg

Some more votes would be nice!

Rafeg

Atrox NT
    "Don't think...feel, it's like a finger pointing towards the moon"

NM MP - my first toon and one that is still my main.

I agree with Repopulation. Go with something a new player would do. This would be great for them to read if that NPE ever gets added.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomium View Post
    I say this with all love and humor, but...

haters gonna hate.

So yeah, any more votes? ^^

Rafeg

I'll throw in a vote for MA. Like Repopulation says, your goal would best be served by picking something a newbie would, which could be anything, of course, but likely a breed/prof mix that is suggested and not labelled as difficult in the character creation.

Figured I'd check in to this thread because I was curious to see the videos. Kinda disappointed it hasn't started yet. Someone could level to 220 in the time its taken to tally the votes

I vote solitus ranged advy.
    You can find me at:
    Battlenet @ Marilata#1680
    Steam @ http://steamcommunity.com/id/marilata

Quote Originally Posted by Traderjill View Post
    Figured I'd check in to this thread because I was curious to see the videos. Kinda disappointed it hasn't started yet. Someone could level to 220 in the time its taken to tally the votes

I vote solitus ranged advy.
    Sadly been out of the game for a couple of months, would most likely have started it sooner otherwise. I plan on trying to get it started next week, so more votes would be lovely ^^

Rafeg

Must say, I recently started again on a froob account for now.
    And I started playing a Trader, and it's a mountain of fun.

Granted, I cheated a little as no new player can easily afford 75m for a Pump.
    Freqflyerdnt (Fix) - Codney (MP) - Fiddlybit (Crat) - Breaker117 (Enfo) - Spasticdent (NT) - Fiveof9 (Keeper) - Maleshai (Advy) - Tacitblue (Shade)

Squad Commander of Ab aeterno animus liberi

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy
    clearly, it's all because arbalest is clan-only. all the omnis pvpers went clan for arbalest and all the omni pvmers went clan for the 35% xp buff so now the ratio of clan to omni is 9:1 herp derp clan favouritism herp derp devs are clan.

Well, now that this has been necro'd and I'm seeing it, I feel the need to point out a flaw in the philosophy of this project. "I'm going to prove that it's NOT impossible to get credits and succeed in the game as a newbie! [time passes] There! I proved it! It is literally NOT impossible! See!? The game is juuuuust fine in every way!" If that's the spin this thing takes, that's a pretty stupid way to look at things.

That would be a good statement.

No truly new person would know on ID from another, or nano or anything of the like.
    Or would be able to get into S7/S10 and solo for credits.
    Freqflyerdnt (Fix) - Codney (MP) - Fiddlybit (Crat) - Breaker117 (Enfo) - Spasticdent (NT) - Fiveof9 (Keeper) - Maleshai (Advy) - Tacitblue (Shade)

Squad Commander of Ab aeterno animus liberi

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy
    clearly, it's all because arbalest is clan-only. all the omnis pvpers went clan for arbalest and all the omni pvmers went clan for the 35% xp buff so now the ratio of clan to omni is 9:1 herp derp clan favouritism herp derp devs are clan.

Quote Originally Posted by vitriolic-v View Post
    Well, now that this has been necro'd and I'm seeing it, I feel the need to point out a flaw in the philosophy of this project. "I'm going to prove that it's NOT impossible to get credits and succeed in the game as a newbie! [time passes] There! I proved it! It is literally NOT impossible! See!? The game is juuuuust fine in every way!" If that's the spin this thing takes, that's a pretty stupid way to look at things.
    I really don't care

Rafeg

voting for advy any breed and get going!
    SPARTANS
    We bow down before no man.
    Recruiting Thread | Website

Nanomage Keeper

There seems to be a trend with nanomages being suggested..

Nanomage keeper ftw

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast