Thread: running AO twice

running AO twice

I am running windows 8.1. I want to run AO twice so I can trade between my froob account and my paid account. AO always launches in administrator mode. I cannot disable this as there is no "compatibility" tab when I go to properties. I have disabled UAC, but I still cannot launch AO twice without it closing down the first instance I have.

Any suggestions? I have also tried making 2 separate installs, but it doesn't make a difference.

You can try making a batch file....

set __COMPAT_LAYER=RunAsInvoker
    cd C:\Funcom\Anarchy Online
    start Anarchy

If that doesn't work you can try downloading the reg file from this guide. http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...menu-in-vista/

It's good to have even if it doesn't help you with this problem.

After you merge the regfile go to "C:\Funcom\" or wherever you installed the game.

Right click the Anarchy Online folder and choose "Take Ownership"

Also you said there was no compatibility tab....that is weird... only AnarchyPatcher.exe doesn't have a compatibility tab for me.

The thing i don't understand is..why does it launch the first instance without admin rights but the second instance runs as admin.

Makes me think maybe taking ownership will fix that and the batch won't be needed.

Who knows...windows system files can get corrupted and cause so many weird little problems. If more programs have this problem or other crazy things happen I'd run sfc /scannow in command prompt.
    Last edited by juggaloklown; Jul 12th, 2014 at 10:32:56. Reason: forgot the link

I had a similar issue when I first started playing AO on Windows 7. AO appeared to 'crash' whenever the OS' focus changed suddenly. It's a bit strange and mystifying, because it appears unrelated to the windows message which controls which window is currently 'active' on the screen, because you can alt-tab from AO just fine.

For me, the issue occurred whenever I attempted to start an application that required admin privileges to run, because the UAC pop-up would steal focus and cause AO to crash. I was able to resolve the issue not by turning off UAC, but by setting it to the 'do not dim my desktop' option, as that prevented the loss of focus that was causing the crash.

Pic

Unfortunately I lack experience in Windows 8, so I can't confirm that the issue you're facing is the same one I dealt with. I also can't direct you to where you might look for an equivalent setting; hopefully some of this information was useful to somebody.

Best of luck.
    -Trony-
    Doctrony - 220/30 Doctor
    Neurix - 100/10 Nano-Technician

"The best of leaders when the job is done, when the task is
    accomplished, the people will say we have done it ourselves"
    - Lao Tzu

Are you playing in fullscreen? If so, try switching to windowed borderless mode. That fixed the issue for me on windows 7 when UAC pops up. Or just disable UAC(can you do that in windows 8? That was the most helpful way on win7)

Quote Originally Posted by Teeko View Post
    Are you playing in fullscreen? If so, try switching to windowed borderless mode. That fixed the issue for me on windows 7 when UAC pops up. Or just disable UAC(can you do that in windows 8? That was the most helpful way on win7)
    He already disabled UAC...which in my opinion isn't a great idea.

setting UAC to the "do not dim my screen" like in the pic Doctrony posted is the best option.

I used to disable UAC and eventually it caused problems with applications and years ago I think the UAC system broke my window7 and since then I don't disable it.

I had to reinstall windows so and it was a pain, I just deal with UAC and if I have a problem I just use that "Take control" to fix permissions.

I don't exactly remember what was wrong, I remember trying to re-enable UAC and it wouldn't then I tried using cmd options to force it.
    Last edited by juggaloklown; Jul 12th, 2014 at 10:28:08.

I haven't had UAC enabled on my computer since I bought it ~4 years ago and never had a single problem. It doesn't change the way things work, it just asks for a second confirmation on things that *may* change your system, like running things as administrator, etc. Sounds like your problem was caused by a virus completely unrelated to UAC, it was just trying to latch itself into windows and prevent you from removing it and having UAC enabled would force you to "confirm" running it, which means it wouldnt be a very stealthy virus anymore.

juggaloklown got it right. After I dl the reg entry that allowed me to take ownership of the folder the problem was solved.

Thanks a million!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Teeko View Post
    I haven't had UAC enabled on my computer since I bought it ~4 years ago and never had a single problem. It doesn't change the way things work, it just asks for a second confirmation on things that *may* change your system, like running things as administrator, etc. Sounds like your problem was caused by a virus completely unrelated to UAC, it was just trying to latch itself into windows and prevent you from removing it and having UAC enabled would force you to "confirm" running it, which means it wouldnt be a very stealthy virus anymore.
    I was one of the unlucky ones and it might never happen again but I'd rather just keep it on I got used to it being on years ago. But if having UAC is too annoying like it was for me at first, by all means disable it.

As far as I know I haven't had a virus since 2008 or 2009 when my original Anarchy Online account and wow account got stolen. And my hotmail account was sending so many spam emails... I tried every anti-virus I could but and changed my hotmail account password but it must of still been on my pc because my hotmail was still sending emails.

So I reinstalled windows and changed my hotmail password again, changed all my passwords acutally.

Losing my Anarchy account and having to buy a new one pissed me off and the hotmail was spamming my friends and family and I was receiving tons of spam myself, then to top it off I had to reinstall windows, So I try harder to not get a virus...And I didn't pay all my bills online back then.

I try to do anti-malware scan frequently and have anti-virus running, Thankfully I haven't really had a problem since then. Knock on wood.

Quote Originally Posted by plasmologist View Post
    juggaloklown got it right. After I dl the reg entry that allowed me to take ownership of the folder the problem was solved.

Thanks a million!!!
    Glad I could help.

ok how are yall getting ao to run on windows 8.1 ive been trying for months and tried countless suggestions from support with no luck. i cant even get one instance of ao to run let alone 2 :S
    any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Nox.

I never had a problem running it. Just had to take ownership of the folder to run multiple instances. In what way are you not able to run it?

just make a shortcut to

Anarchy.exe

allows you to open as many clients as you needs, and if there's a patch just run the launcher once to patch

Quote Originally Posted by prince696 View Post
    ok how are yall getting ao to run on windows 8.1 ive been trying for months and tried countless suggestions from support with no luck. i cant even get one instance of ao to run let alone 2 :S
    any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Nox.
    Do you get an error message?

What happens when you try to run AO.

the start up runs i log in then it just crashes a black box pops up then disappears and i get a box telling my i crashed. Im blaming windows 8 since it worked fine on my old crap laptop lol.
    tried everything the support team suggested but nothings worked so far.

I'm no fan of Win8/Win8.1 I find too many things are somewhat "backwards".
    Freqflyerdnt (Fix) - Codney (MP) - Fiddlybit (Crat) - Breaker117 (Enfo) - Spasticdent (NT) - Fiveof9 (Keeper) - Maleshai (Advy) - Tacitblue (Shade)

Squad Commander of Ab aeterno animus liberi

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy
    clearly, it's all because arbalest is clan-only. all the omnis pvpers went clan for arbalest and all the omni pvmers went clan for the 35% xp buff so now the ratio of clan to omni is 9:1 herp derp clan favouritism herp derp devs are clan.

Last edited by juggaloklown; Aug 7th, 2014 at 22:58:33.