Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Monthly Development Update: May 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Phixalicious View Post
    You mean a dev tracker like all other game forums have?

Nah, too much to ask for.
    http://www.dokushuu.com/greenP/ ?

I know it's not part of the official forums and it looks like it stopped working on the 11th, but it's something

(c) Nogoal's sig

Quote Originally Posted by Darkripper View Post
    Quoting some answers Means gave from a FWM, what happened to this:

"Have you ever thought of making a new "battlestation" map?

Many times. We have some ideas we'd like to see realized next year. Mstrbstrd has assured me he will give up eating and sleeping to get this done."

I would appreciate an answer, not vague or evasive tho, as we all know you often answer that way...
    Considering last Mstrbstrd post is from March 2011, one could guess he died in the process.

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta View Post
    Actually the producer Ilaliya has been quite actively posting on the forum giving replies to this or that.

I suggest having a "blue posts" forum that keeps track of all dev postings.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phixalicious View Post
    You mean a dev tracker like all other game forums have?

Nah, too much to ask for.
    Saw my sig? :P
    blah

Quote Originally Posted by NoGoal View Post
    Saw my sig? :P
    No, obviously. But thanks!
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Quote Originally Posted by Seoin View Post
    it looks like it stopped working on the 11th, but it's something
    I moved server around that period so it might be your DNS cache still redirecting to the old server.

Please check if dokushuu.com is linked to 88.191.146.37
    blah

Buahahahhhaa... I mean, LMAO! 2 months before external beta tests? So, basicly, new engine will be in 2013, if we are lucky...

Good I stoped to play this game 2 months ago!
    I like PvP
    TL6: Tereshkova 200 eng / Patrollerz 200 sol / Tankietka 200 NM enf / Pielegniarka 200 Tank Doc / Oleska 200 SOLIKeep
    TL5: Miazga 150 sol / Piknababa 150 NM Enf 2he / Gigantika 150 NM Enf / Malutki 150 Enf Trox WIP
    TL4: Ladyrazor 112 fixer (retired) / Shha 100 NT / Cycolina lvl 100 NM Enforcer
    + Tons of other chars...
    I make weird TwInkz!
    Signature updated: 29/06/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Pomidor View Post
    Buahahahhhaa... I mean, LMAO! 2 months before external beta tests? So, basicly, new engine will be in 2013, if we are lucky...

Good I stoped to play this game 2 months ago!
    Yep! Because you only played because of new engine!

But yes, if they have a working stand-alone client up and running in 2 months, we're at August 1st; then 2 month's closed beta testing, October 1st; then a random month of preparing for open beta, maybe with a few testers and such being let in, and we're at November 1st; 2 months of open beta testing and we're at February 1st 2013. A month's finalizing and we can see March 1st 2013 as the launchdate for new engine. But I predict a slide at the end with a bunch of unforeseen problems resulting in a month delay, making new launchdate April 1st, resulting in a million bad jokes and other issues.
    Last edited by Mastablasta; May 31st, 2012 at 12:12:30.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

Quote Originally Posted by Firasting View Post
    I did like a lot of what I read, particularly the lag fix, lets hope this actually works. I do have one concern though. I don't think that you guys should be releasing the new market into the game until it's actually done. there are several issues which you yourself have said you're working on to improve usability, and if you send us a broken system into live there are several people you will lose that don't read the forums. Don't do something stupid, be paitent, and do this right.
    It isn't broken. I just tried it. It is far better than what we have at the moment.

Has RK1 crashed? I mean dammit, I'm listening to the GSP 51 Hour Birthday Marathon. And thank you for no running around after junk to spawn the Desert Nomad only to get dumped on by 220s.
    *ADDENDUM*
    Problem is at my end. Last time this happened was when Take That were playing Glasgow and rabid middle agaed women jammed the ticket lines so bad it knocked t'internet out here in Scotland for hours.
    Last edited by Cogline; May 31st, 2012 at 15:00:45.
    I'm a Froob Neutral Trade Skilling Nanomage Engineer- by definition I hide round corners and let the bot do the fighting.

Quote Originally Posted by lindelu View Post
    Game Performance Issues
    Recently we've received multiple reports of lag occurring in-game! But with help from our Operations team we've now managed to locate and resolve what we believe to be the cause for these issues. We are very sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused you during your play time, and we're thankful of the extensive reports you were able to provide to us!

The Next Update
    All of our efforts this past month have been going towards getting this update to Live.

The preliminary release date for 18.5.0 is 12th of June! This update will include game improvements and bug fixes, a new log-in and character selection screen, the new global market interface, and of course the new birthday loot! Preliminary update release notes are available on the Test Live section of the forums, and a conclusive version will be coming soon along with the finalized release date.

I hope the AO Anniversary party will be just as great! See you all there!

Kindly,
    Lindelu
    So, have the Lag issues been fixed or only identified? It is unclear from the above if they are in the next update or already fixed with a server maintenance. At any rate, I am still seeing lag as of yesterday ... should I report in the Bug Reports forum or elsewhere?

I will be happy to see the anniversary fun, hopefully some of the old items like Lya's and some new items ...

Kinnik

Quote Originally Posted by lindelu View Post
    We haven't finished the details yet, although I expect it to be a timed event occuring every x hours. More information will be made available closer to the release date.
    Some way to stop this being a 220 damage fest and loot rights sale would be nice.
    I personally thought the best way to asign loot would be to give it to the top 6 items donors by auto spawn...
    Last edited by Snakebite; May 31st, 2012 at 17:31:16.
    A new light shines upon Rubi-Ka,A new channel is opened in the grid feed,
    A new Team dedicated to the distribution of knowledge is formed.
    >>> AO-Universe <<<
    For the People, By the People.

Quote Originally Posted by Superflare View Post
    Interesting....
    That sentence caught my eye too... PR0N!!!
    A new light shines upon Rubi-Ka,A new channel is opened in the grid feed,
    A new Team dedicated to the distribution of knowledge is formed.
    >>> AO-Universe <<<
    For the People, By the People.

Wonder how much will be done by the time my account expires in August. New GMI for a completely broken economy where my 1.3 billion creds would be 1.5 pieces of armor (maybe I should have invested a month in farming credits at s10 instead of actually playing the game)? So glad I did not buy that stupid special package and extend my account until August 2013!

Please please please improve communication with the remaining player base. We're all stringing along hoping for something real to happen. Something that we actually care about and have been requesting for years and years.

Even something small such as adding exit beacons in RK/LE/Inf Missions. Or getting rid of Notum Mine, Stonewall, etc. missions being rolled in Inf...cause *everyone* uses trial or cave anyway. Maybe adjusting PVP ranges (I know I have a better chance watching hell freeze over before I see this). Is stuff like that even paid attention to? How long would projects of this nature seriously take to code in (or out)?

But maybe that's what you guys (FC) are banking on...keeping us right on the edge so that we keep paying.

Regarding the things being worked on now:
    New Engine, Start-Up Area, GMS

I totally understand they can be beneficial, but why are these priorities when there are issues with actual gameplay that need work?

Let me setup the scenario...

Its 2015, the phase-0-alpha-startup New Engine is on TestLive with promise of being on Live in 2017. I'm a brand new player, I make a char. The startup area is awesome, tons of tutorials, I'm really learning my profession's role early on. I leave the area and join the rest of the population. I run into all the same bugs/problems/unbalanced pvp and pvm issues that have been there for years before me. I deal with them for a while, realize later that nothing will change, quit the game.

Why not work on getting players to STAY with the game?

What is the point of adding a Suggestion section on the forums if it means nothing to you anyway?
    Last edited by Mako; May 31st, 2012 at 20:41:24.
    Based God.

Quote Originally Posted by Mako View Post
    Please please please improve communication with the remaining player base. We're all stringing along hoping for something real to happen. Something that we actually care about and have been requesting for years and years.

Even something small such as adding exit beacons in RK/LE/Inf Missions. Or getting rid of Notum Mine, Stonewall, etc. missions being rolled in Inf...cause *everyone* uses trial or cave anyway. Maybe adjusting PVP ranges (I know I have a better chance watching hell freeze over before I see this). Is stuff like that even paid attention to? How long would projects of this nature seriously take to code in (or out)?

But maybe that's what you guys (FC) are banking on...keeping us right on the edge so that we keep paying.

Regarding the things being worked on now:
    New Engine, Start-Up Area, GMS

I totally understand they can be beneficial, but why are these priorities when there are issues with actual gameplay that need work?

Let me setup the scenario...

Its 2015, the phase-0-alpha-startup New Engine is on TestLive with promise of being on Live in 2017. I'm a brand new player, I make a char. The startup area is awesome, tons of tutorials, I'm really learning my profession's role early on. I leave the area and join the rest of the population. I run into all the same bugs/problems/unbalanced pvp and pvm issues that have been there for years before me. I deal with them for a while, realize later that nothing will change, quit the game.

Why not work on getting players to STAY with the game?

What is the point of adding a Suggestion section on the forums if it means nothing to you anyway?
    Didn't you read the OP? It says right there that they made a large step forward in order to improve upon those things......
    The Red Brotherhood

Quote Originally Posted by Sungrave View Post
    Look, a whole paragraph of wind milling.

I miss FwMs. We had them every week, and he seemed to put much more effort in them.
    "Week 124. My cat coughed up a furball"

Change in leadership and 6 months later what do we have? Monthly updates that like Masta said leaves us with a basic conclusion that Engine has a good chance of not being here this year. Masta's estimate of when an external beta would be available feels rights. And that just sucks if it is true.

What I gather from these last six months is:
    1. Things where in worse shape and more disorganized than originally thought and passed onto the players.
    2. That the reports of work remaining to complete X (insert your choice) was grossly under estimated. I would say people had to have been lying about it or total idiots. Either way something was going on that made the estimates to complete worthless at best.
    3. That with all the mess of the last year no one at FC listened about the Desert Rider and how it excludes non 220's. We got no instanced version that scales to level with scaled loot. We got Newland Desert lag fest and DD wars yet again. News flash: There are people with no 220 in game and others that like playing at levels OTHER than 220.
    4. That we are being forced into a GMS replacement next patch and we all better except that short of very minor tweaks it will be here to stay just like all the other half finished content we have been left with over the last 11 years. I know what the OP said and I know what the last 11 years have looked like. Given that track record I am going with the known commodity.
    5. We still don't have tweaked content that would actually let us get our progression gear from um you know actually playing the toon that we are progressing. Example, my 214 fixer is doing an AI daily and the boss drops a QL190 fixer gun. WTF I am in QL286 now, it is not like the weapon was even close to being the right QL for my level. My goodness, FIX THIS NOW. Everyone that comes over for ANY other game that I am aware can earn there next items just by doing content. Heck even TSW lets you rebuild your weapons into the next best version from content that you can solo. Really for once a straight answer how hard is this to fix? I know that loot QL ranges were adjusted before so it can't be that hard.
    6. The back end tool set that FC uses was horribly out of date. We have heard since Jan this year how they are improving them and updating them. There is no excuse to let your tool set be this out of date. And six months to update your tools better be saving you years of work in getting stuff finished, being that it has been 5 years that we have been hearing about some of this stuff.
    7. That if they know what causes the lag they sure aren't fixing it. Click on the PVP daily dude and wait upwards of 30 seconds for the dialog to show up. Kill a miner and wait as much as 60 seconds for the body to loot to show up. Rubber band in Pen from the pipe entrance all the way back to the ravine statue. Zone into Nasc Garden and be able to get a drink before zoning completes. In fact dialogs with NPC have been so bad that I rather just not talk to them. Even if it means not doing dailies.

Oh I could go on. But really, why should I. If they can't deliver the engine, system changes, newbie experience and make GMS right by November then my accounts will lapse. I think 5 years of believing in FC is more than enough.
    Lheann
    President of When I Grow Up

Lhisa - MA - RK1
    MaxKillz - Enf - RK1
    Namaru - Enf - RK1

"If you find yourself loosing a fight, your tatics suck."

I have worked with some archaic databases in the past. As one adds to them the systems become exponentially complex and inefficient. I suspect that it has not been communicated to the players just what a monstrosity the system has become. Given that the staff have changed over the years and much of the code is quite probably poorly documented correcting old bugs and making even minor changes can be a monstrous task needing extensive testing and debugging. The databases are falling apart working with all the compexities added over the years that it was never originally planned to cope with.
    If the new server is needed and character transfers would be dangerous to the survival of the current system then it appears that the new server will incorporate major design changes to ensure its survival for some years.
    The lags in the system are probably not caused by simple errors that a programmer can find and correct in a few hours. I would suspect that they are caused by an accumulation of extensive inefficient design and coding over a period of 11 years. In a system with hunderds of patches over patches and fixes that solve a problem rather than handle its source even minor changes could disrupt code in other areas and create lags.
    At the moment the changes being given priority seem to be those that will keep things going for a few years at best. Without access to the code I cannot state this with certainty but my strong su****ion is that what is needed to ensure the longer term survival (from a system viewpoint - I am not looking at marketing aspects or CS here) of this game is a complete respecification and rewrite.
    Last edited by Kron; Jun 1st, 2012 at 05:33:55.

Quote Originally Posted by IHaveHugeNick View Post
    "Week 124. My cat coughed up a furball"
    Oh yeah, I used to scoff at that too, but now when I think back, it wasn't that bad.

We really need some cheese in this thread
    The Red Brotherhood

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast