Thread: How you get good at PVP and twinking.

Lightbulb How you get good at PVP and twinking.

Tip 1: If you are a new player, Do NOT power level, its OK to get a 5 level quick run from a group and such.. but if you want to get good at PVP.. LEARN your profession. do not RUSH trough it.

Tip 2: Do not copy/paste other peoples setups. YOU know whats best for your character, if you know how to play it.

Tip 3: If you have twinked, ready to go and get your ass kicked. Don't quit. It takes practice and skill to master your profession. When i twink i always make a basic setup, from there.. i test it out and note down what i would like to improve and what i got enough off. There is nothing that's called a "Perfect" Setup. It always comes down to how YOU play and how YOU would like to play it.

Tip 4: Do not look on other peoples setup and say "That's impossible" and give up. You would be supriced the quantity of items in AO that you can twink with. Start of slow. learn how to do it and go from there. I started of by getting on ql 75 implants on a lvl 25.. and i were impressed by my work. Now i can get on around ql 130-140 due to my experience and items i have gathered over time. Everyone can do that.

Tip 5: Twinking.. Ladder things up. take things step by step, don't go straight to the highest items.

Tip 6: Never sell your Twinking gear. You might miss some creds here and there.. but never sell your twinking gear. They will pay of a LOT more in the long run.

Not sure i wrote everything down... But it should be most of it.. Hope it helps someone!

Love from Animalz, Enjoy!
    Last edited by Animalz; Jun 18th, 2014 at 12:40:49. Reason: Removed a suggestion that caused confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Animalz View Post
    Tip 1: If you are a new player, Do NOT power level its ok to get a 5 lvl quick run from a group and such.. but if you want to get good at PVP.. LEARN your profession. do not RUSH trough it.
    ^ Thumbs up Animals! Your words here should open any guide related to any skill based MMO.

Spent 1-160 myself doing solo & team missions.
    Took up to a trip to Tir Arena between each batch of missions, or other encounter.

It's pretty understandable that any new player would rush to the fastest source of XP.
    When you introduce someone to our game; tell them a few urban legends, to point them in the right direction.
    For their own good.

An example could be:
    "For each ten minutes you spend in 0% gas, you get 1% better chance of getting a GA disk up to a total of 10% increased chance, until you log off."
    Last edited by filijokkus; Apr 13th, 2014 at 09:29:42.
    Ancestors could hear what is happening now
    They would turn in their graves
    they would all be ashamed - that the land of the free
    has been written in chains
    And I know what I want - when the timing is right
    then I'll take what is mine
    I am the clansman

Sound advice. Me gusta.
    Towerblock, 220/30/70 Engineer
    President of Steadfast

And way too many alts...

Tip 6: Never, ever.. calculate things DONE before you have started twinking. Do it when you are in the moment.
    What does this tip mean?
    You can find me at:
    Battlenet @ Marilata#1680
    Steam @ http://steamcommunity.com/id/marilata

Quote Originally Posted by Traderjill View Post
    What does this tip mean?
    Some people like to calculate things before they start twinking, saying its not going to work.. and so on..
    From my experience you can almost never calculate everything you need.. the missing points come when you are in the moment.

Tip No 1should be: Learn to exploit !
    Thats what "best" pvp orgs are good at (both Clan and Omni)
    Awikun 220/70/30 Ranged adv - my Main that I hardly ever log
    Awisha 220/70/30 Shade - Can solo 95% of all bosses
    Cratawi 200/70/30 Crat - S7/DR Solo farmer
    Awiken 220/70/30 Eng - Pvm Eng
    Nukiwa 200/70/30 NT - almost forgotten (awaiting retwink)
    Awidoc 200/70/30 Doc - 200 fun pvp twink
    Awix 200/70/30 Fix - 200 fun pvp twink
    Awienf 220/70/30 Enf - tanked every single boss (and still lives)
    Soldawi 220/70/30 Sol - Pvm Sold
    Awima 150/xx/xx Ma - best S10 MA farmer
    Doctorawi 220/70/30 - Pvm Doc
    Awienfo 200/70/30 - Atrox with Pande red belt and 2xQL300 hammers
    Macierewicz 220/70/30 - Pvm Crat
    Zlakobieta 220/70/30 - max complit +top tradeskiller

Some people like to calculate things before they start twinking, saying its not going to work.. and so on..
    From my experience you can almost never calculate everything you need.. the missing points come when you are in the moment.
    well, I've only spent a couple minutes twinking, but I can tell you for sure that calculating and planning makes everything better. it's not a necessity, but I wouldn't be telling people NOT to calc, and just hope numbers magically appear; that seems a little bit backwards.

numbers don't change, calc'n the setup before you twink is pretty important if you want to know what you're capable of doing. starting a serious twink without a plan is generally a great way to end up with a half done twink project on hold until you get certain items you would have known you needed before hand had you planned it out.

maybe the idea is fine for beginning twinkers, since there's generally much more room for mistakes and improvements than on a max setup or extreme/unique twink.

most experienced twinkers will have their setup pinned within a few points before they even start. points don't appear out of nowhere. generally the only guesswork is access to contracts, or super rare items they may need to borrow.

if I misunderstood what you meant, sorry, but it seems like you're saying for them to just start equipping things without any idea what the end result will be or any planning on how to get it.

p/s/- nice initiative
    Last edited by RedWatr; Apr 15th, 2014 at 08:42:56.
    T O O N Z:
    Renamed (jeycihn) 220/30(so sexy, so Borealis...I miss it the most...still melee <3 thnx for all your help Scum!
    Giit 200/30 NM NT(THE most dangerous, and bitchy thing I ever created)
    Sixunder 158/21 NM Tra (158+SMG=Atomic bomb? Feather pillow? meh, depends on what mood she's in oO)
    Eightup 158/21 Opi Fix (perfect, maxed twink, definitive "FUN")
    Xerrrox 17X Opi Fix (GA4 fr00b...buff prostitute...reason to log in)
    Enjey 60/6 NM Eng (high maintenance OP'ness)
    Nanimated New NM Agent (no patience for it...sigh)
    Somethiing 200 Atrox Sold (potential x1k...not nearly enough "give a f*ck")
    P A R A D I S E ~&~ P A R A S I T E ~&~ B R O K E N ~&~ CCI ~&~ NOTHING PERSONAL

Ok, that's what I thought you were saying but figured I'd ask for clarification before being critical. I've been twinking on spreadsheets since I started the game and its never failed me. Maybe people have issues because they aren't taking all factors into consideration such as trickle and such. I do know people that 'just start equipping stuff' but that method has never worked for me.. as a newbie or a vet. In fact, I'd say as a vet I can twink without doing extensive spreadsheets and such due to experience whereas when I was new it would've been a lot tougher.
    You can find me at:
    Battlenet @ Marilata#1680
    Steam @ http://steamcommunity.com/id/marilata

Quote Originally Posted by RedWatr View Post
    well, I've only spent a couple minutes twinking, but I can tell you for sure that calculating and planning makes everything better. it's not a necessity, but I wouldn't be telling people NOT to calc, and just hope numbers magically appear; that seems a little bit backwards.

numbers don't change, calc'n the setup before you twink is pretty important if you want to know what you're capable of doing. starting a serious twink without a plan is generally a great way to end up with a half done twink project on hold until you get certain items you would have known you needed before hand had you planned it out.

maybe the idea is fine for beginning twinkers, since there's generally much more room for mistakes and improvements than on a max setup or extreme/unique twink.

most experienced twinkers will have their setup pinned within a few points before they even start. points don't appear out of nowhere. generally the only guesswork is access to contracts, or super rare items they may need to borrow.

if I misunderstood what you meant, sorry, but it seems like you're saying for them to just start equipping things without any idea what the end result will be or any planning on how to get it.

p/s/- nice initiative
    Of course you should to some basic calculating before you start to twink, but for items you are not sure you will get on.. calculate it there and then. Cause you will always miss some points that you can't see from calculating the week before. Some things can only be seen by looking at your setup IG.

Of course you should to some basic calculating before you start to twink, but for items you are not sure you will get on.. calculate it there and then. Cause you will always miss some points that you can't see from calculating the week before. Some things can only be seen by looking at your setup IG.
    I never give up on a non-primary stat twink due to calcs coming up short. If I'm within 15 points short, I give it a shot and hope for some rounding up love (AO's rounding system has saved my butt several times).

For primaries however, it tends to be pretty cut and dried - if something calcs out impossible by 3 or more points on a primary stat, I usually don't even bother to start. There is not much you can do in those situations.

Agree tho that looking at in-game stats beats skill emulator or Auno calcs, sometimes you need to start twinking before you can make your final calcs.
    -= Make the new engine look even better. Don't forget to post a screenshot! =-

I calc all hard twinking, but when just equipping better implants when levelling I just perkreset to dna and other ability and treatmentperks, put on buffingitems, get buffs and look at the char to see which imps I can make.
    When I make mistakes, I use a lot of salt,
    cause salt makes m'steaks taste great!

Beornin - The original Shotgun Adv
    Obsessive - First 220 Trox Engi
    Euthanizer - Reanimated NT

Quote Originally Posted by Awikun View Post
    Tip No 1should be: Learn to exploit !
    Thats what "best" pvp orgs are good at (both Clan and Omni)
    yes
    Diabetes - teh qt engi
    Anseh - teh nab nanotech
    Lethargic - teh gimp trader

Devil Inside

Let me add my 5 cents.
    Practice, practice, practice... And practice again.
    As far as I agree with Animalz - still the best way to become super PvPer is to actually PvP.
    And I mean PvP, not assist/Q combination keyboard emospam.

Luckily, when you die at AO PvP - world will not enter Ice Age again.
    G.F.B.D.
    --------------------------------------------
    Artyomis has played 800 days 0 hours 0 minutes 0 seconds
    WTB subscription price lowered for eastern europe countries due to current USD/EUR-to-local-currency rates.

Quote Originally Posted by Artyomis View Post
    Let me add my 5 cents.
    Practice, practice, practice... And practice again.
    As far as I agree with Animalz - still the best way to become super PvPer is to actually PvP.
    And I mean PvP, not assist/Q combination keyboard emospam.
    Bump.

Quote Originally Posted by Artyomis View Post
    ...the best way to become super PvPer is to actually PvP....
    pretty much that is 90% of it all.
    T O O N Z:
    Renamed (jeycihn) 220/30(so sexy, so Borealis...I miss it the most...still melee <3 thnx for all your help Scum!
    Sixunder 158/21 NM Tra (158+SMG=Atomic bomb? Feather pillow? meh, depends on what mood she's in oO)
    P A R A D I S E ~&~ P A R A S I T E ~&~ B R O K E N ~&~ CCI ~&~ NOTHING PERSONAL

there was a time when a lot of us knew how each other played so well, that it became part of the actual way we made on the spot decisions, and it made a huge difference in the outcome of smaller battles. just knowing what each profession, and the person playing it is capable of, and what they're likely to do in situations, reduces the amount of communication needed for a successful outcome. there used to be certain tl5's I could go to war with, where just 2 or 3 of us were as effective as a full team, simply because we knew each other, and what we were doing. good times, the best I miss those days, and people, a lot.

so, I'd say a big part, once you get the gear down, and familiar with your profession, is playing well with others, efficient communication, and a good working knowledge of other professions, and how they compliment the one you're playing.
    Last edited by RedWatr; Apr 18th, 2014 at 23:53:52.
    T O O N Z: