Thread: Chat is broken

Chat is broken

Please help. Starting this past Saturday, when I logged in, everything was fine, except I cannot communicate with anybody. When I try to send a tell or talk in any channel, I get "Error: Chat group XXXX is currently not available."

I don't see vicim chat from mobs. I don't see ark message or emotes.

I can type /help or /petition and get those, but I cannot chat.

I downloaded a new version of AO and same issue.

Suggestions?

Windows 7
    Dell Inspiron 3721
    Intel Core i3-3227U CPU @ 1.90 GHz
    4.00 GB
    64-bit
    Service Pack 1
    -Mashalash

There can be no Uber without Gimp.

Heya Mash,

Having never experienced this issue myself, I can only offer the standard 'tech support' steps that I would take if I were in the situation you describe.

To start with, if your chat is the only thing that appears to be functioning incorrectly, I would suggest you 'reset' your UI. To do this, head to C:\Users\<username>\AppData(hidden folder)\Local\Funcom\Anarchy Online\<text>\Anarchy Online\ and look for a folder called 'Prefs'. Move this folder to your desktop (Right-click, 'Cut', right-click 'Paste'). It may also be worthwhile to move the Prefs folder that may be within your AO directory 'C:\Funcom\Anarchy Online\' to ensure you're using the default UI.

After moving these folders, try running AO and seeing if the issue still persists. If so, then it is likely the best solution is a complete re-install. Should this be the case, keep your 'Prefs' folder as you can put that back into your new install and you won't lose your UI. Anarchy Online can be re-downloaded here.

If resetting your UI via the Prefs folder was enough to solve the issue, then it appears as though some portion of your Prefs folder is causing the issue, and you may be looking at a UI refresh to solve the issue.

Hopefully this helps; best of luck.
    -Trony-
    Doctrony - 220/30 Doctor
    Neurix - 100/10 Nano-Technician

"The best of leaders when the job is done, when the task is
    accomplished, the people will say we have done it ourselves"
    - Lao Tzu

Thanks Trony, but no good.
    I deleted AO, redownloaded. Brand new UI. Same problem.

If I put the prefs folder in the desktop, when I start AO, it just starts up a new UI. I have to put the prefs folder I want into the Local folder for it to save my prefs.

How do I get FunCom's attention? I have tried petitions and emails to tech support with no response.

It is not worth renewing my subscription if this can't be fixed.
    -Mashalash

There can be no Uber without Gimp.

I remember I had an issue years ago where the font in my chat windows went completely screwy. The major difference being that it was fixed by the steps I suggested. Given your issue is still outstanding, I would suggest contacting Funcom's Live Chat support team here, as that's probably the fastest way to get a response on an issue.

Live Chat only operates within a certain time-frame, so until they're back up again you may wish to take a few screenshots, or record a quick video of the issue occurring. The more information you can provide to those willing to assist you, the faster they're likely to be able to resolve your issue.

P.S. FRAPS has a free license for recording up to 30 seconds of video, and is my personally preferred recording software.

Best of luck.
    -Trony-
    Doctrony - 220/30 Doctor
    Neurix - 100/10 Nano-Technician

"The best of leaders when the job is done, when the task is
    accomplished, the people will say we have done it ourselves"
    - Lao Tzu

You should also ensure your firewall isn't blocking the ports needed to communicate with the servers. You can find the information on ports Here
    Director Bekrowe
    ARK Community Relations
    Public Forums Moderator
    Advisors of Rubi-Ka

:: Social Guidelines ::
    :: Ark Public Website :: Social Events with ARK :: Rubi-Ka Marriage Registry :: ARK Tours :: Join ARK!

I recently lose connection to chatserver as well. It becomes all quiet around me, a '.' in vicinity isnt visible. Eventually, after a while i get "Welcome to Anarchy Online" and it works a bit. It usually works stable after my 3rd logout from the bot.

On a side note, if i log out and log back in, the launcher is all white. No text. Maybe related to my ISP, although everything else internet related just works fine.

Shadow Atlantians

= Tikra :: 220 Advy (Inf Hater) | Inevitable :: 220 Crat (Hunting stuffz) | Gotnobuffs :: 210 MP (TS Totem) | Atlantiana :: 200 Solja (Clueless Blondie) =
    = Unabletonuke :: 160 NT (Kitehill Victim) | Aliumeater :: 150 MA (S10 Citizen) | Canhazcalms :: 100 Froob Crat (Foremans Slave) | Canhazbaffs :: 163 Froob Agent (Buffbox) =

PVM all the way

So this might be too obvious, but if you press shift+c, are you subscribed to any channels?

Bump on that! Its happening again, ima cut off chatserver after 10 mins being online! Anything i can do on my side? Ive got no firewall n crap running here. ALL of my usual internet applications run just fine

Shadow Atlantians

= Tikra :: 220 Advy (Inf Hater) | Inevitable :: 220 Crat (Hunting stuffz) | Gotnobuffs :: 210 MP (TS Totem) | Atlantiana :: 200 Solja (Clueless Blondie) =
    = Unabletonuke :: 160 NT (Kitehill Victim) | Aliumeater :: 150 MA (S10 Citizen) | Canhazcalms :: 100 Froob Crat (Foremans Slave) | Canhazbaffs :: 163 Froob Agent (Buffbox) =

PVM all the way

nobody knows this probem? to give a straight answer ? damn damn

Nobody knows what to do exactly about this problem ... is hapening to me also damn

hey

Quote Originally Posted by Tikra View Post
    Bump on that! Its happening again, ima cut off chatserver after 10 mins being online! Anything i can do on my side? Ive got no firewall n crap running here. ALL of my usual internet applications run just fine
    Did you manage to fix the chat ? and if yes please tell me how ,so i can do it myself , thank you ...

Nothing i have changed Arnalo. But seems stable last few days.

Shadow Atlantians

PVM all the way

are you running windows 7 or 8 ?

because I have noticed a few things when trying to run ao in the past, and if you don't have 100% access like administrator rights, it can block some of the things to the game, like when they changed the location of the prefs was I working on a security for a company at the same time, and tried it out on my own pc of course to test it first of all, and I could log on to the game, how ever the chat was not working, and I could not locate the maps as well.

After I gave my selv "owner" rights over the ao folder I was able to use everything, how ever try and check if you got the right access to the folder, and try not to use encryption option, as windows is providing ^^

dunno if it will help, but it's worth a try right ?
    Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names.

Im running Win8.1 here, full admin rights. Had the issue under windows 7 too.
    However, wasnt disconnected from chat last few days. So it might just have been an ISP hickup

Shadow Atlantians

PVM all the way