Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Friday with Means - March 11th, 2011: Full Steam Ahead

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta View Post
    Still runs at 100 FPS here at max everything when using the DX9 renderpath.
    The systems in question primarily use ATi 4250 integrated graphics chipsets(very common in newer laptops) - 15-20 fps on medium and with AA turned off - perfectly suitable for those peoples' gameplay experience. The point was it should never had gone -backwards- in performance moving to the new engine iteration.
    Dagget
    President,
    Venice Academy

Quote Originally Posted by Hardcore View Post
    I would love ao to support when having two monitors, you run ao on one moniter, and be ABLE to move your mouse and click on the second monitor without shutting down/minimizing AO client, would be awesome.
    I have 4 monitors and do this now....
    "death comes slowly to those who anticipate it and swiftly to the unconcerned" Richard Pyott

You want a duel?.......Go play chess
    You want honor?......Go serve your country in the military

First pistol crat to reach Chief.

Proud follower of the Mexican Hat Band Cult.

Excellent post Means, thanks.

Now I feel like a jerk for predicting that this week's FwM would boil down to "We still have the 'flu"
    <Lazy> who knew ao f*rum denizens were such homophobes?

Lordstage Free to do anything
    Byracka iddqd
    Battlespork Eats what he kills
    Bloodforbaal Utter bastard
    Pinealgland Too weird to live, and too rare to die
    Dagenham Radioactive courier
    Fascinated Elderly nature enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by -Stage- View Post
    Excellent post Means, thanks.

Now I feel like a jerk for predicting that this week's FwM would boil down to "We still have the 'flu"
    I can safely tell you that you are in fact a jerk, not just for stated reason though. :P
    "A whole new place to run around for ages in then die suddenly without warning."

"I know who coded pet pathing... and when I see him I say "/follow" and I start waling in to walls :P"

The "Trolls" option is incorrect. The term trolls is not used to describe the gathering of information on the Internet.

<@Kintaii> L2P

Quote Originally Posted by Dagget View Post
    The systems in question primarily use ATi 4250 integrated graphics chipsets(very common in newer laptops) - 15-20 fps on medium and with AA turned off - perfectly suitable for those peoples' gameplay experience. The point was it should never had gone -backwards- in performance moving to the new engine iteration.
    and i seem to remember Means mentioning that the old AO Client will still be available, so for AO this will not be an issue.
    Delerium(220/30/70), Locklear(220/30/70), Piggybank(60/6/14).

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?"

Richard Dawkins: We are all atheists about most of the gods that societies have ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further.
    Deng: Every time I see Del I just start to quiver.

The point was it should never had gone -backwards- in performance moving to the new engine iteration.
    this would be preferable, but you cant really expect all updates everywhere to have only positive impact on the matter :P
    You hit Tarasque with nanobots for 18280 points of melee damage.
    First shade with Blades of Boltar
    ---
    How much is enough?
    Member of Halinallet!

Bloody great FWM!
    Darkempire 220/30/70 Agent
    {edited by Anarrina: see me if you have questions}
    When specifically asked for positive words, responding with a personal attack is incredibly rude and inappropriate. Please do not repeat such behavior.
    Quote Originally Posted by nums214 View Post
    If my wife never got preggo omni wouldn't have lost their fields. 2009 is pretty much when I quit.

Wow, probably the best FWM i have read in ages. I find my faith in this game somewhat restored.

Imo the advertising Should be exciting news to all as it shores up AO financially.
    ALTS: Alienhunter, Moonglum, Quellist, Quellcrist, Jesharet

The owner of a system using a Radeon 4250 integrated graphics processor should never consider playing a high profile game in the first place.

And since they can't play AoC anymore they can come play AO since the new engine will be a matter of choice here. Though I know the Radeon 3000 integrated is incapable of playing AO at highest settings. The 4250 is not considerably more powerful.

Quote Originally Posted by Neista View Post
    Imo the advertising Should be exciting news to all as it shores up AO financially.
    I found this perhaps the most exciting part of the post. But maybe that's just me :|
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta View Post
    The owner of a system using a Radeon 4250 integrated graphics processor should never consider playing a high profile game in the first place.

And since they can't play AoC anymore they can come play AO since the new engine will be a matter of choice here. Though I know the Radeon 3000 integrated is incapable of playing AO at highest settings. The 4250 is not considerably more powerful.
    They tested the waters in AoC some months ago with the new hardware and got satisfactory performance (15-25 fps on medium with no major dips). Had the performance sucked while running the free trial, they would had said "oh, well, perhaps in the future". As it was ok, they signed up and are paying customers. My own system has that same chipset at its' heart and it did well for me, but I have since added in a 460GTX. My friends will someday afford superior add-in graphics cards (except the laptops) but the crux of this is that the performance practically halved with the introduction of the Dreamworld patch plus added in a lot of really bad graphic artifacts which are also seen by a variety of other chipsets. That shouldn't happen.

They already play AO, many since 2004. Eve, Lotro, and SWG all handle the 4250 well, btw.

In any case, the coders are working on the issue and we will see what they produce.
    Dagget
    President,
    Venice Academy

Quote Originally Posted by Wrangeline View Post
    If Kintaii wrote it, it would have been a skyscraper of text
    Coming next week: Friday with Ergo!

Quote Originally Posted by Riawn View Post
    Coming next week: Friday with Ergo!
    If they put that in the title I think it would about 4 views and zero comments.

I just rerad the interview with VHab and I dare to Quote..

Vhab: Quite a bit. It's much more personal for me now. Before it was a game where I was part of the community; now I feel part of the game itself. Knowing there’s some of my work in there that thousands of players can enjoy is absolutely amazing.
    Ditto feelings from me, and I have not met the AO team 'yet'. But I will soon(tm)

I profusely enjoyed this FWM.. LoL Sorry I had to let that out, or I would have burst!

Cheers!
    --Being Neutral IS a choice, not a failure to make one!--
    Main Character - Doctorval (Advisor of Harmony Rk2)

Well, if AO is becoming less friendly to people who use laptops or "super market" desktop because of new graphics engine that might not be a good thing.

Dual Wielding:

Crow: The new engine will of course require more than the existing one. Good thing though, they will keep both editions.
    ... for svingende!

Quote Originally Posted by Alternity View Post
    Bloody great FWM!
    Let's not say things we can't take back.
    Now, one of the reasons we’ve spent the last month arguing about the debt ceiling is that half of the "teabag" Congress signed a vow to never raise taxes. Someone just handed them something and it wasn’t a gun, a crucifix or a fetus — so they signed it. Why? "Because we’re rugged individuals who love freedom. Now excuse us while we sign this document swearing to do as we’re told." --Bill Maher

Quote Originally Posted by Isvarte View Post
    Crow: The new engine will of course require more than the existing one. Good thing though, they will keep both editions.
    Both clients would work something like half an year max whole year. Old client won't be here forever.
    Dragocz RK1

Been playing AO since 2002 on various PC configuration. So far, BEST performance (I mean tested places, crowded, max setup) was on nVidia 8600 GTS - no other graphic card or setup above Intel 2.4ghz never did better. When my 6800 was broken (in that time I had smooth 22-25 FPS) i bought new PC (in 2008) and out of sudden I was able to run game on MAX seup, at 60 FPS in Borealis at top hour. That was stunning, really. Then, not so long ago (in 2010) my GC went emo, and I was forced to get new one. GTX250DP Does miracles in most games, but... AO runs at 20 FPS max, and when its crowd (like BS hub or Grid) it gets to 8-10 FPS.

Not mention, that back in 2002/3 game ran smooth on top machines, but it was on old textures, and yet it was possible to get 45 FPS on ultra crowded Tir. So basicly, best PC from my expeirance to play AO smooth is somewhat 2007/2008 config with modern processor, or to get uber new GC and wait for new engine. Either way, everyone will be happy

EDIT: Best FWM since ages. I will consider to unfroze accounts, when I get some Screens/Vids of new Engine
    Last edited by Pomidor; Mar 13th, 2011 at 10:31:19. Reason: adding stuff
    I like PvP
    TL6: Tereshkova 200 eng / Patrollerz 200 sol / Tankietka 200 NM enf / Pielegniarka 200 Tank Doc / Oleska 200 SOLIKeep
    TL5: Miazga 150 sol / Piknababa 150 NM Enf 2he / Gigantika 150 NM Enf / Malutki 150 Enf Trox WIP
    TL4: Ladyrazor 112 fixer (retired) / Shha 100 NT / Cycolina lvl 100 NM Enforcer
    + Tons of other chars...
    I make weird TwInkz!
    Signature updated: 29/06/2016

So did anyone die from having to wait a week?

The armour looks nice, so far it looks like just a clean up, clearer lines and more defined depth etc, the question is are you going to be redoing some of the really dumb looking armour like crat/trader tier?
    Enter the Information Age
    Proc Descriptions

Hunt, and be hunted: The Hunting Grounds | Alien Tower Field :Aliens, that really invade!
    Pet argo management: Servants Protection | Expand the Notum Silo :Make it worthwhile

Rimor
    Tesgri - 220|17|58 (Omni Agent)
    Leara - 220|25|62 (Omni Doctor)
    Ponygirl - 220|25|56 (Omni Bureaucrat)
    Means: "We have done way dumber things than this..."

Quote Originally Posted by Ayria
    The armour looks nice, so far it looks like just a clean up, clearer lines and more defined depth etc, the question is are you going to be redoing some of the really dumb looking armour like crat/trader tier?
    For the love of God make Clan Agent Tier 3 black or something.

Not that anyone wears it anymore.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast