Thread: Scale interior maps for more comfortable and less confusing camera control.

Scale interior maps for more comfortable and less confusing camera control.

Scale interior maps for more comfortable and less confusing camera control. In other words, there are spots in TOTW and CoH where the corridors and caverns are just so tight and so tiny that the client is forced into weird camera angles and things flipping around and getting stupid. Simply scaling things (don't sit there dragging vertices, write some code to do it) to be bigger would fix it.

Bump, this would be nice. I'd say one of the biggest offenders is WTF.
    Dagger 220/30/70 Shade // Attempted 219/24/?? Enforcer // Canidae 180/0/0 Adventurer // World 185/26/32 Meta-Physicist// Cramp 150/20/35 Engineer
    Ya wanna fix something - give RK mobs better xp, make RK matter again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mamman View Post
    Give shades love or we will stop buffing people!!

Maybe we can scale indoor playfields that people actually visit first? :P

I noticed something, reflecting upon my experiences playing WoW. I don't remember having any gripes with their camera constraints. Now, in many cases, that's probably because the lore specified that a lot of maps were big open caverns inhabited by dragons and giants and such, but I think I recall that the camera was pretty loose about where it was allowed to position itself. I think that solid walls weren't a big deal. Admittedly, it's been a while, so my memory may be incorrect, but, continuing on with what should be rather than what necessarily was: Let the camera move through walls, and just don't render (or render semi-transparent, on a case by case basis) anything that fully occludes the view between the camera and the player.

Making this work in AO -- being able to position the camera past a solid wall, rather than pushing in tight to the player's character when there's a wall in the way -- would require some thought to an occlusion system that would render according to what the player can see, rather than what the camera can see. Maybe newer DirectX tech has some shorthand for this, and it can be implemented in the new engine?

If it's impossible to do the aforementioned, scaling indoor playfields would probably be adequate in most situations.

Tbqh, I don't know if your suggestion would fix the issue, because I have no idea about such things, but I'll bump it anyway, because however, the camera needs a fix!

Just today I blitzed something with my crat and the camera got stuck so often at walls/door, while my char kept running, I nearly cried. Simply annoying.
    Especially in caves and that one room in a "normal" mission building with that green thingy in the middle, geez.

Not to mention, doing a RK-mish with an enfo...
    Don't set yourself on fire to keep others warm.

Re: Bumpage because the camera system needs fixing in general: It bears mentioning that the camera is pretty screwed up in Biomare at the bridge before the Alpha Bio Construct area. A general overhaul to how it works, and how it collides with and is constrained by collision with solid objects, could incidentally fix this just by being a better camera system.