Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Announcement Concerning a New Anarchy Online In-Game Store

Quote Originally Posted by Edta View Post
    I might be somebody else, but I'll explain why social holiday stuff should be kept out: Barely half of the value of this kind of items is how they look: a very important part is the status symbol of it stating "I was there and I killed those pumpkins" or even better: "I was there 3 years ago".
    Of course, they've already negated most of the preorder bonus items--people can get the leet pets, Jobe luxury apartment, and so on for paid points.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrys View Post
    P.P.S. FC should also repackage the new engine + balance patch as a new expansion and sell it, it makes perfect sense for all the work and resources they've thrown into it.
    Perfect sense, in that they'd have to do additional work maintaining the old client for people who don't pay extra?

Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    Rare loot will absolutely not be available in the store.
    My prediction: this will be someone's bitter signature in a few years.

Prouver que j'ai raison serait accorder que je puisse avoir tort.

Quote Originally Posted by Sterva View Post
    We all remember no camping in shadowlands.
    And more recent, no in game mail, using the rendering that they are currently implementing (and have done for some time..) is not possible
    <Means> I always laugh when I have to type "/get sex" when debugging

[Social] Eponyx: I don't drink, yeah it is true. Can you please get that pink moose of the platform. And park the polkadot elephant to reclaim.

Uaintseenme: This is why i love Test sever so Much.
    I can wake up in the morning and think to my self, "Im going to break AO today" and should i managed to do it, I'll get rewarded for it.

Man I wish they would fix opi shoulderpads
    bai2u!
    -::l2pvp!1::-
    Electronite: FFA also destroyed Clan hegemony when it comes to tower wars. Ironically the downfall was started by the most active pvpers. Another ironic thing is that the downfall happened due to pvm conflict. Silirrion: (We have pretty good anti-troll filters by now though) Means: Thong-wearing troxes will always be a part of this game and a point of AO pride. Keldros: Obviously reall trolls don't use conditioner Marlark: If this forum was Swedish in it's language .. id pawn you any day. 220 NT: tl7 is a joke most of the time. 90% of the people are double double dead. some are worth debuffing tho. Mastablasta: you guys are right and I'm wrong. Ebag: No. You alpha me'd due to the stat bug. More Ebag: I don't have any twinks currently, nor do I participate much in mass TL7 PvP (though I do go occasionally, usually just to watch). Questra: an MP in sneak eNSDed me and did about 20k damage in 10-12 seconds

./me buys a forum hat from the in game store.
    Tir Muffin Co-op : Free muffin lovin' for all teh clanners

Quote Originally Posted by Suicidal View Post
    We all remember no camping in shadowlands.
    And more recent, no in game mail, using the rendering that they are currently implementing (and have done for some time..) is not possible
    I seem to recall one from a while back (I forget whether it was Gaute or Znore) claiming that the NT toolset was intended to be used for running away from fights.

Quote Originally Posted by Keldros View Post
    Perfect sense, in that they'd have to do additional work maintaining the old client for people who don't pay extra?
    They're already going to do that.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Quote Originally Posted by Triadninja View Post
    So wait, does that mean that the game is going to go entirely F2P soon or stay the same F2P model that it has now, just with an in-game store?

P.S. Just redirect me to the post if this has already been answered.
    You could read the first post in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrys View Post
    You just agreed with me but you called me trolling. The personal attacks I have to put up with on teh forumz
    Agreeing with what you're saying in a sarcastic manner doesn't make it any less so that you're trying to bate people into thinking that you hold a different oppinion than what you do
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

Wonder how long till level 200 will be buyable with PP...

Quote Originally Posted by Crowena View Post
    Wonder how long till level 200 will be buyable with PP...
    I believe Age of Conan allows buying a midlevel character when you've already leveled to max with one. I wouldn't be opposed.
    The Red Brotherhood

Quote Originally Posted by Otinsainpas View Post
    because current scripting language and info windows are somekind of abomination of HTML, will
    new browser enhance those and will it also change chat-windows rendering speed and add better support for fonts?
    From my observations on testlive, no.
    It might technically be possible, but from the way it seems to be implemented on TL, it currently seems unlikely.

Then there's also the added problem of some non-standard behavior and even nearly-impossible-to-replicate-in-real-html behavior.
    I don't know how widely these features are used and what changing the text renderer would do to these.
    (I've had to do some crazy stuff in Vha.Chat to get certain features to render correctly; scary AOML parsing and transformation library in trunk branch )

Then there also might be security/performance concerns with using it all over.
    Formerly Vhab.
    Once upon a time ruled a server. And then sold out. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Sterva
    Originally Posted by Means View Post
    Rare loot will absolutely not be available in the store.

I sincerely doubt that. A much more likely candidate will be the "We sell convenience not power"-phrase. Ah well, I've put already so much trust into FunCom ( more accurately, this AO team ) that I expect them to deliver some sane and not greedy way of making money.

@Mastablasta
    Let me rephrase my doubts toward micropayments in general by using a metaphor.
    Once you subscribe you have an Everything for Everyone principle. There are no boundaries given by the world itself, it feels homogenous. Once you put in microtransactions this is at high risk of breaking.
    See that awesome museum. You pay the entrance fee and are free to roam the exhibits. That F2P with Shop breaks this down. Oh, you are free to enter, but if you want to get to the first floor you'll have to pay. Because Museum Directors are sane people, those who want to see everything pay more than in the old 'flatrate'* days.

Now if we are talking about a shop in the sense of that gift shop at the exit - or kiosk somewhere in the middle - I have no problems about that. Having the option to gain more XP or stuff like that is okay as long as the game itself keeps developing. What I did see in another game was more like a "Almost everyone said this activity is too much of a grind, so now you can buy something to make it faster!" instead of a certain compromise we'd see in AO, where levelling got already much faster.

*No two thoughts about flatrates and subscriptions. First one about flatrates. I don't know how it is in your countries, but the emergence of flatrates was something generally seen as a huge success in telecommunications. I remember having to pay for each minute of Internet. Or telephone. Even mobile communication has flatrates at its peak. So why exactly is it that micropayments and the F2P model is such success again? Because you charge more money for the same thing - and since games are neither as uniform as telecommunication nor as vital people don't care that much. If my beloved game gets a payment plan I don't like what are my options, really? I can't get that same game from another company.

Another reason why I prefer subscriptions over p2p models is the impact on the community. Subscription models tend to have the older ( In terms of "playing game since...", not exclusively age ) community. P2P titles are most often second or third MMOs, something to play while waiting for a release and therefore people tend to have a much lower dedication, which is something quite vital for a community itself. I'm not saying free players are worse people, mind you, just stating my perceived impact of that payment model on communities. Often the games follow its scheme, focussing more and more on those that only stay for 2 or 3 months, paying quite a budget in the meantime.
    And I love the froob program. This is something different.

Well, to sum it up, my concerns come from other games that did tread on that route - and developed in a way I sincerely dislike.
    A bullet may have your name on it, but a grenade is addressed To Whom it May Concern.

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta View Post
    I believe Age of Conan allows buying a midlevel character when you've already leveled to max with one. I wouldn't be opposed.
    Last time I checked, it was for free. Only one char though and only if you had level 80 already, true. I wouldn't mind this in AO.
    Renowned jester of the double AS Tigress

MP in sneak eNSDed me and did about 20k damage in 10-12 seconds

Being able to get a leveled charracter of choice after doing the 220/30/70 grind would be great!

I'll jump on the currency bandwagon and say it's unfair that european players have to pay more to get the same in game items as US players... booh booh booh drama ...
    Gimp army from outer space:
    Falkvinge.::.Synneve.::.Gothangel.::.Devilbunny.::.Ulcerosa.::.Alywen

Quote Originally Posted by Ikarus View Post
    *No two thoughts about flatrates and subscriptions. First one about flatrates. I don't know how it is in your countries, but the emergence of flatrates was something generally seen as a huge success in telecommunications. I remember having to pay for each minute of Internet. Or telephone. Even mobile communication has flatrates at its peak. So why exactly is it that micropayments and the F2P model is such success again? Because you charge more money for the same thing - and since games are neither as uniform as telecommunication nor as vital people don't care that much. If my beloved game gets a payment plan I don't like what are my options, really? I can't get that same game from another company.

Another reason why I prefer subscriptions over p2p models is the impact on the community. Subscription models tend to have the older ( In terms of "playing game since...", not exclusively age ) community. P2P titles are most often second or third MMOs, something to play while waiting for a release and therefore people tend to have a much lower dedication, which is something quite vital for a community itself. I'm not saying free players are worse people, mind you, just stating my perceived impact of that payment model on communities. Often the games follow its scheme, focussing more and more on those that only stay for 2 or 3 months, paying quite a budget in the meantime.
    And I love the froob program. This is something different.

Well, to sum it up, my concerns come from other games that did tread on that route - and developed in a way I sincerely dislike.
    Well for one, you have the possibility to more directly sell things to people ingame that they may or may not have been fully aware of, like social clothes and the like, because it required you to go to the account page, and people in general I don't think visit that very often.
    So, more visibility of the current buyable items, adding additional items as well can't be a bad thing as long as they're kept in the same area.
    Microtransactions are getting very popular because they allow developers to make small things that can keep on selling for a very long time, and because they're usualy done small enough that in the eyes of the consumer the purchase doesn't matter. If 10000 people buy a 1 euro item that took a developer 1 hour to make, that's a pretty good investment. Hell, it's good even if only 500 people buy it! And if we're only selling sort of convenience items, like you can pay to lvl 5% faster. Then that's not horrible. The main problem lies in when you start selling gear that's useful for something gameplay wise, other than convenience, like actual armor or guns, buff items, and as far as I can understand from conversation on IRC that's something the current developers are not even considering there because they very well know the impact this would have on the game! Negative!
    So, I'm confident that the content of the store will be funny joke items, small things to help people level a bit faster, social wear, exclusives like new skins for vehicles. Maybe items could be past seasonal items available every return of that season? The wider availability of the already buyable things, like mechs, leet pets and whatever else, also would be something to put there. Veteran items too.

And while it is likely true that the MMO you subscribe to is the one you play, then with AO retaining its subscription model and the froob program already being a reality, then adding more revenue stream from the free players is a great idea that would benefit all of us in the future.
    The Red Brotherhood

Quote Originally Posted by -Klod- View Post
    Last time I checked, it was for free. Only one char though and only if you had level 80 already, true. I wouldn't mind this in AO.
    I think you didn't even have to have 80lvl, I had just something 70s and still had option there last time I cared to check...
    Ekarona 220/30 Female Solitus Engineer, long term member of Northern Star and proper "poor" gimp.
    Ekaslave 220/low Female Solitus Trader, FLAT(TM) pricing TS, almost all can do!
    Ekaros almost there/almost there too Male Solitus Martial-Artist.
    Ekadv gimp/gimp Female Opifex Adventurer

Quote Originally Posted by Ekarona View Post
    I think you didn't even have to have 80lvl, I had just something 70s and still had option there last time I cared to check...
    Could be.

ccl about that game anymore though, since they totally screwed it with imba sins and silly stamina potion and CC nerf, while ignoring combo skipping exploits.
    Renowned jester of the double AS Tigress

MP in sneak eNSDed me and did about 20k damage in 10-12 seconds

Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast