Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Do you think AO will be revived when the new graphics engine comes?

Do you think AO will be revived when the new graphics engine comes?

While it's not that people aren't around on AO, it seems like it is kind of dead at some times. It's not what it used to be, if you know what I mean.

Do you think it'll become repopulated when the engine comes around?
    Valkyrieval, 220 Keeper, Rimor
    plus way too many alts!

I think it could... IF FC get their act together and launch it properly with advertizing'n'stuff.
    Mekhdoc 220/27/70 Equip | Mekh 220/28/67 Equip | Shadesch 220/21/70 Equip
    Mekhkeeper 220/22/70 Equip | Roflmao 220/15/50 | Fixyaself 200/23/64 Equip

Quote Originally Posted by Mekh View Post
    I think it could... IF FC get their act together and launch it properly with advertizing'n'stuff.
    I think that's exactly the problem. I have no idea if they'll be any effective at advertising it.
    Server first !!! Neutral Solitus Male Soldier named Boltgun to wear a short with pink spots on RK1 !!!
    N E U T R A L I Z E R S

Well, 17.10 is like a miracle patch already, like they're preparing all kinds of things so that the game will feel a lot less "old" than it does now. Snappier, more responsive, less annoying old bugs... awesome stuff. So with a new engine on top it would be like weeee! And with some advertisement and love, well ++
    And hey, let's not forget that we can help out
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

((Why was this warped here.... this thread does not belong on a RP forum......))
    Alexsi "Nadab" Stefanovich

Corporal Officer, Omni-Pol Field Ops
    (Atlantean)

formerly
    T-Sgt1C, Omni-AF, 4th Fusiliers RST, Retired.

If I'm the Agent of Shai-hulud, where's my 10% ?
    Roleplaying Profile of Alexsi "Nadab" Stefanovich

Quote Originally Posted by Nadab View Post
    ((Why was this warped here.... this thread does not belong on a RP forum......))
    Reets isn't the RP forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by kesh View Post
    I heard black troxes have a huge nothing.
    Berinda: Assault rifle

Wenona: SMG

i think if funcom actually takes initiative and gets the graphics engine done, it will bring a lot of new players....Eve online did that awhile ago and it brought a bunch of new players to that game, a pretty decent amount from what i've heard...

i love AO as a whole, but sooooo many other people out there that i have played with in online games are all about graphics and realism, a good number have said they would play AO if they fixed the graphics engine.
    dontfixit-206 fix
    seige-216/20 keeper
    clockinit-220/23 trox trader
    orginalsin-156/16 nt
    igotnonuts-36/4 trox enf twink(full merc,dual mortiig beaters equiped 125/100)
    24 other alts and twinks on rk-2

Some people are like a Slinky.....not really good for anything, but you still
    can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs.

Quote Originally Posted by milwroller View Post
    i think if funcom actually takes initiative and gets the graphics engine done, it will bring a lot of new players....Eve online did that awhile ago and it brought a bunch of new players to that game, a pretty decent amount from what i've heard...
    Eve Online is doing television commercials, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by kesh View Post
    I heard black troxes have a huge nothing.
    Berinda: Assault rifle

Wenona: SMG

Yep saw the Eve commercial and was like WTF. AO needs commericals too :-\
    ....................................-Eridonis-
    ................-Sleighbells-................-Northpole-
    ....-Psyche-...............-Decembersky-...........-Karma-
    ...............-Winterbelle-.................-Snowing-
    .....................................-Graffiti-

I doubt people quit this game because of graphics, same way I doubt they will come back.

You only quit because Sil called you a troll.

A new engine will definetly help, even if Funcom doesnt advertise at all. Just word of mouth will bring some oldschoolers back. And random websites that mention the updated game will bring some curious people in. What will really make or break the population rise, is if Funcom actively advertises through the press.

I can hardly imagine Funcom not advertising AO's new upgrade. Would not make sense to do such a large upgrade and then not do anything to spread the word. Especially when it could bring in a sizeable amount of money. Would be like pulling a car out of a junk yard, fixing it up, and then putting it back in the junkyard.

Anyways, I look forward to both the new engine, and the large increase in population that will come with it. What I don't look forward to is the lag,...BUT,...having said that I look forward to seeing what these "brand new uber servers" are capable of. Since they upgraded them when the server load was practically at its lowest ever, and has only got worse from there. 8P
    Herk Mad! Herk Crush!!

Main: Herkulease

Alts:
    Toba
    Cosmicmayhem
    Wantsumore
    Blessfu

The longer it takes them to get it done, the more new MMOs are released, and the less likely we are to see any substantial increase in population.
    Autohead 220/30/70 Solitus Soldier - Synergy Factor
    Auron 220/25 Keeper ::: Shadowslave 220/23 Shade ::: Radius 211/21 Nano-Technician
    Sunza 207/21 Martial Artist ::: Voss 182/15 Engineer ::: Shadowhead 150/16 Agent

As Masta already said, there's a lot of stuff going on in the background, especially with 17.10 that is clearly preparation for getting it right, first time, whenever they next do a big marketing push (probably when the new engine comes) to ensure people don't show up, say "uurrghh bugs/lag/ewww" then leave again.

Much improved pet pathing, better nano casting system, zoning...omg zoning, if the zoning on test comes right over to live how it is now, it will be epic.

It is easy to s**t all over Funcom when they get things wrong, any sort of customer service is always a thankless job. This team though, does listen far more than any other under any other Game Director and the fact that the dev team is composed of a lot of ex players shines through with some of the effort and passion in the work involved.

No, they don't always get it right and no we don't always get what we want. But, they're doing a great job for the most part and I think AO currently has a bright future ahead of it.
    Member of Spartans
    Hacre/Solitus/Keeper/220/29/70 - Ninpopotamus/Solitus/NT/220/30/70 - Charmming/Opifex/Crat/220/30/70
    Quote Originally Posted by randomalpha View Post
    in the end soldier is not Op or even near from that never was never will be just for the record only keepers are the ones before soldiers on the nerfest list
    Genius at work.

with some advertising and re-assurance of interest on FC's part I think they can do it. I hope they can.
    T O O N Z:
    Renamed (jeycihn) 220/30(so sexy, so Borealis...I miss it the most...still melee <3 thnx for all your help Scum!
    Giit 200/30 NM NT(THE most dangerous, and bitchy thing I ever created)
    Sixunder 158/21 NM Tra (158+SMG=Atomic bomb? Feather pillow? meh, depends on what mood she's in oO)
    Eightup 158/21 Opi Fix (perfect, maxed twink, definitive "FUN")
    Xerrrox 17X Opi Fix (GA4 fr00b...buff prostitute...reason to log in)
    Enjey 60/6 NM Eng (high maintenance OP'ness)
    Nanimated New NM Agent (no patience for it...sigh)
    Somethiing 200 Atrox Sold (potential x1k...not nearly enough "give a f*ck")
    P A R A D I S E ~&~ P A R A S I T E ~&~ B R O K E N ~&~ CCI ~&~ NOTHING PERSONAL

Quote Originally Posted by egadsrk2 View Post
    You only quit because Sil called you a troll.
    Nah I quit way before that, his words mean nothing to me

His actions however... clickie. That's why I quit.

AO being one of the longest running MMOs, such major update would not go unnoticed in the gaming press. I keep seeing fresh people (even) on Atlantean every day, thanks to the froob program an I don't remember much advertisement regardless the wide scale media coverage.

You can call me over-optimistic here, but the current team shows a lot of potential for doing something groundbreaking imo. Even if they wouldn't advertise, people would find their way into AO.
    Last edited by mes; Sep 12th, 2008 at 23:45:57.
    220 Crat, 216 MP, 174 Trader, 165 Shade

Quote Originally Posted by Nadab View Post
    RP forum? Reet Retreat is the forum for everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Pafpuf View Post
    Nah I quit way before that, his words mean nothing to me

His actions however... clickie. That's why I quit.
    What actions? Bringing more balance to this game than it ever had? Yes, I see why that would make you whine...
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

I think its definately goin to have an impact. Its a sad fact that alot of people these days go graphics>game. For me personally I cant wait to 1)Actually use the cards I put in pc. 2)See the renewal of AO as far as growth is concerned.

WTB DX9..leik yesterday maaaaan!
    Quote Originally Posted by Venachar View Post
    Yes. I'm a total idiot. Please don't quote that last sentence out of context
    Well Duh lol.

I have chronic dyslexia of the keyboard..

Zen.

While i like this game and i think many people really want a good sci-fi PvE game i think more has to be done to get old players back and new players in.

The new engine will surely get more new/free players playing where always some trickles down to paying members.

Personally for myself, I've got my eye on a similair AO setting game that is going to be released in the near feature, meaning though competition is coming up.

Every year more and more sci-fi mmo's are getting planned for release or being released.

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast