Thread: OTPC Freelance: Newland and Crime - The Troubled History

OTPC Freelance: Newland and Crime - The Troubled History

OTPC Freelance: Newland and Crime - The Troubled History
    July 28th, 29488 - Andrew Phillips

As Turms Falon emerges from prison, a man jointly culpable for making Newland a fief of the Shadow Compendium's criminal empire, we take the opportunity to examine the turbulent relationship Newland has had with crime since its independence in the Tir Accord.

The Mercenaries
    Seven years after Newland was granted Neutral Status, the city invited a mercenary group led by Loren Warr to defend the Newland. The mercenaries controversially proceeded on a shoot-to-kill policy against all Clan members, sparking rumours that this had been called for by the city government in retaliation against previous incursions.

Connections soon emerged between Warr and the Dust Brigade, and after a spate of attacks the mercenaries were removed by the Newland Guard Initiative with cross-faction support, to which CEO Phillip Ross made personal contributions.

Mayor Bombs Omni-1
    Elections held after the mercenaries' eviction confirmed Zephrem King as the Mayor of Newland, and hopes were high for his tenure. However, two years later, amid discussions around the Neutral Identity Chips, an emotional King carpet-bombed Omni-1 HQ with pests using his personal shuttle and was duly summoned before the Board to explain his actions.

The Mayor issued an apologetic statement the following morning.

Shadow Compendium
    The summer of 29483 saw much instability for the city when Mayor King and Guard General Anthony Hekkat were both missing from the June meeting of the City Council, when a Iaskel Nendas, shadowed by his enforcer Turms Falon, announced his takeover of Newland, claiming that the Mayor was indisposed.

It soon emerged that King and Hekkat were being held in captivity, while Newland was turned into Nendas's personal fiefdom, a rule which he managed to maintain for three months until finally being overthrown by a band of citizens in October that year.

'The Why Not'
    Shortly after the removal of the Shadow Compendium a group of smugglers led by Elzevir Brode rose to prominence, offering contraband goods courtesy of his ship The Why Not. Brode and his crew frequented the city and often used Newland as a base from which to set up business connections.

When the scheme was uncovered, the city government resolutely refused to aid in searching for the crew despite mounting evidence, and it took an intervention from the ICC for the smugglers to be brought to justice.

---

Newland has often tried to tread the fine line between laissez-faire and willful blindness in its attitude towards crime and criminal groups, with varying consequences for the city.

Turms Falon has recently returned from imprisonment after his expulsion in 29483. When asked, Minister Leileena Chan refused to condemn Falon and his new associates, claiming that more evidence was needed before reaching a view.

Let us hope it does not prove too late to save Newland from another criminal takeover.

Friendly reminder:

There has been growing tension over the years between Newland City governance and Omni-tek Rubi-ka due to several reasons, most of which have less to do with the described above - and more to do with how Newland City protocols are often being broken by several Omni-tek 'officials' upon arrival. Let it be known that while they may question our city council's rulings (whether public or internal rulings are present) it is considered a libelous protest at best.

Many readers may remember similarities between this protest, and the incidents involving the free city of Borealis before it was aggressively invaded by Omni Armed Forces.

Newland City was never officially nor lawfully made into 'Iaskel Nendas Personal Fiefdom' and Mayor Toog and General Hekkat were being ransomed for the right to control the city, but the coup attempt was foiled. The uprising of local citizenry were led by their formally elected council leaders and order was restored to the territory. The actions of our leaders were heroic to say the least, and any other nation that has had similar issues would have responded similarly.

The allegations against Captain Brode and his crew are entirely of their own construction and it was communicated to Omni-tek that this group was not being detained nor were they being specially defended during their stay within Newland City. They are free to come and go as they wish, like all other citizens within our borders. However, instead of seeking compliance between the Omni-tek and Newland City accords, several 'off duty' officials took it upon themselves to attempt unlawful extraction within the city limits. Their attempts were also foiled by the NLCC, and order was maintained. The captain and crew of The Why Not are not being investigated because they have broken none of our laws or statutes. As to their status as criminals in other parts of Rubi-ka, we can only say we have heard their complaints but still as of yet we have no evidence of our own to support their allegations. When our own people asked to look over the documentation, we were subsequently refused any right to scrutinize it.

As a citizen and a lobbyist for the NLCC I can very clearly speak that we understand the unrest between the NLCC and Omni-tek, and that we cannot simply offer any further assistance on the matter. The lack of support makes the entire entanglement very su****ious. It is not within our policy to infringe upon the rights of individual citizens without proper recitation and/or conclusive evidence.

And rest assured OTPC. Any instances of 'criminal activities' within Newland City and its outlying borders have always been met with the full leverage of our due process, and will continue to do so. We understand that OTPC may have concerns for the safety and well being of our citizens but they are in no place to render any legitimate judgement about any of our social or criminal policies.

The smear campaign by OTPC against our city and its leaders has been noted and rejected.

Let it be known that the suns will rise tomorrow, and business will carry on as usual. We will not be moved by this article, nor any like it until a degree of satisfaction on the matter has been had.

Dr. Towerblock
    President of Clan Steadfast(tm)
    Newland City Business Leader.
    Has the heat got you down? Try a frozen dessert from our local vendors!
    Towerblock, 220/30/70 Engineer
    President of Steadfast

And way too many alts...

Quote Originally Posted by Towerblock View Post
    Many readers may remember similarities between this protest, and the incidents involving the free city of Borealis before it was aggressively invaded by Omni Armed Forces.
    *Tuts and says to herself, "Good businessmen do not smear Omni-Tek." *

*Posts the following:*

Of course Newland is troubled with Crime; how can you expect any different when they lack the security that Omni-Tek offers?
    Officer "Agentcora" Geers - Permakilled </3
    Administrator "Navarl" - OT-OC Administator
    Sheriff Dalten "Basley" Rooster - Omni-Pol
    Fylakas "Aggelos" - Shadowlands Resident
    Janice "Gowski"- IRRK Reporter

I Think you'll find that what Newland may lack in security is often made up for by the courage and tenacity of its citizens who i find to be always eager to spring to the defense of their home.

Not to mention those who visit Newland on buisness regularly....regardless of faction. Newland is a good place that welcomes all and people remember that and are quick to defend it
    ALTS: Alienhunter, Moonglum, Quellist, Quellcrist, Jesharet

Quote Originally Posted by Agentcora View Post

Of course Newland is troubled with Crime; how can you expect any different when they lack the security that Omni-Tek offers?
    If Omni-tek security is so good, how is it that we managed to repel several of your invading 'off-duty' insurgents without the benefits of an active military? Is it part of Omni-pol police procedure to ignore proper procedure and deliver a feeble attempt to kidnap our citizens and visitors on whim? Because if that's the best that your Omni-tek Security forces can do, then I think were better off without.
    Last edited by Towerblock; Jul 30th, 2014 at 19:15:05.
    President of Steadfast

And way too many alts...

If Omni-tek security is so good, how is it that we managed to repel several of your invading 'off-duty' insurgents without the benefits of an active military? Is it part of Omni-pol police procedure to ignore proper procedure and deliver a feeble attempt to kidnap our citizens and visitors on whim? Because if that's the best that your Omni-tek Security forces can do, then I think were better off without.
    If you are going to lie, you could at least make it believable. Omni-Pol do not kidnap people nor have we tried. There has been no attempts by off or on duty personnel to invade foreign territory.

What we do offer is a crimeless state, such as Omni-1. The safest place on the planet.
    Officer "Agentcora" Geers - Permakilled </3
    Administrator "Navarl" - OT-OC Administator
    Sheriff Dalten "Basley" Rooster - Omni-Pol
    Fylakas "Aggelos" - Shadowlands Resident
    Janice "Gowski"- IRRK Reporter

Quote Originally Posted by Agentcora View Post
    If you are going to lie, you could at least make it believable. Omni-Pol do not kidnap people nor have we tried. There has been no attempts by off or on duty personnel to invade foreign territory.

What we do offer is a crimeless state, such as Omni-1. The safest place on the planet.
    People who live in glass houses should not be throwing stones.

I've no time for your games, Agent Cora Geers. Not only have your people been caught and returned to the borders of our territory, but we also have previous incidents on file where you personally were attempting to extract people from Newland City. The three most that stand out on our reports, are one where you attempted to extract Kenneth 'Nulion' Ages. Another one you attempted to extract my former employer 'Bubbacrush' as a target of opportunity. Then you went on later to attempt another on Harland 'Retoolkit' Brigetty and Penelope 'Tinkerbots' Hollister. All of these incidents are on file, and open to viewing by anyone with proper credentials. You were informed what our policy was, and yet you still continued to ignore it.

Do you recall any of these instances, or are you going to hide behind your many visits to Omni-Reform with a seeming disability to recall your own past actions?

Although I do understand your parroted enthusiasm and nationalism for your own people, your actions have proven you untrustworthy in any open forum, with a sense of propriety on how you seem to be above our laws. You have a long litany of breaking the rules whenever it suited you, including actions against your own leadership. And while it is true we might not have access to a vast advanced military complex like Omni-AF, we have had few problems ejecting troublemakers.

Which I might take this time to remind you, that Newland is not your jurisdiction. And that is just the simple truth of it. If you wish to make a grievance against me for saying so, I can supply you with any information you need to contact General Hekkat and bring the matter to his attention.

Have a nice day.
    Last edited by Towerblock; Jul 31st, 2014 at 05:01:52.
    President of Steadfast

And way too many alts...

Newland is not your jurisdiction.
    No underlining or emboldening can negate the simple fact that the ‘due process’ of King appears to require overwhelming evidence about events in the city to be presented by forces with no jurisdiction there, or worse, by ordinary citizens with no jurisprudence.

And even then, I can recall few instances in my extensive diplomatic experience where firm action actually resulted against any criminal group who was not also trying to take over the city.

Quote Originally Posted by Neista View Post
    I Think you'll find that what Newland may lack in security is often made up for by the courage and tenacity of its citizens who i find to be always eager to spring to the defense of their home.
    Unfortunately, this courage was needed by residents to defeat Newland's own guards during the Shadow Compendium's reign, guards whose rank incompetence caused them to shoot, on Falon's whim, Newland's citizens who bravely agitated to restore the city's independence.

But it is little comfort that a cross-factional vigilante force saved the city, for Newland is a city that claims to operate by due process, enforced by a capable guard. Too often has it failed where it has mattered the most.

To choose this incident to mention the de-facto and illegal nature of the takeover is especially unfortunate. Criminal enterprises do tend to be de-facto and illegal by their nature.

There has never been an investigation concluded either in the City Council's public sessions, or in a statement to the public, on the causes for the guard's betrayal, and what measures have been taken to ensure that such betrayal can never happen again.

Perhaps not enough evidence was presented to the Council.

This certainly seems to be the King administration's boiler-plate excuse for voiding all accountability in policing, by launching no investigations until insurmountable evidence about his own city is presented by a foreign police force, an undermining of his constituents' desire for independent competence.

Statements such as 'no investigation was launched because no law was broken' betray a disappointing lack of understanding that investigations are often launched, by competent authorities, to determine whether the law has been breached.

___

The residents of Newland, and all the people of Ka who frequent the city, deserve answers to these three simple questions:

Why, when The Why Not was found to be criminal by the ICC, Omni-Tek, and the Council of Truth, did Newland, from where the group operated, alone fail to find evidence of wrongdoing?

Why has the mayor of this small municipality been seen less frequently in public than both the Members of the Board of Omni-Tek and the Legacy Leaders of the Joint Clans?

When will Zephren King submit himself before the people of Newland for reelection or dismissal?
    Andrew Phillips
    Omni-Reform
    Truth is Power

Clan Envoy of the Omni Organisation Committee
    Reporter for the Omni-Tek Press Corp

Maybe by your own opinion and judgement, but your opinion and judgement are not required in the running of Newland. No amount of outside protesting is going to change that. Your loyalty and citizenship is not TO Newland City, so whatever point you wish to make has absolutely zero changing power.

This is something I learned as I immigrated here, and is the leading reason I did so. So I would have neither Clan nor Omni-tek Hierarchy to worry about with extreme measures when it came to foreign policy. The onus of being comfortable is not upon us to regulate for you. To the best of my experience here living in Newland, we are FAR more egalitarian than the majority of other provinces on Rubi-ka. You have paraphrased in a way, that we are not quick to bend knee to outside influence, regardless of how large its presence is. This is not a bad thing, and speaks volumes about our people. This is something I personally feel proud to be a part of.

To answer your latter questions from the best of my ability to do so. I might also suggest that while you think everyone should be privy to our internal workings, experience with it has taught us to the contrary.

1. The crew of The Why Not did not 'operate' as you say, from Newland. They were visitors on an extended stay. They get the same amount of surveillance as any other visitor on an extended stay. We understood the allegations of outsiders, and the outcome of that inquiry was/is stalled. The information you require is now considered by us a dead end, due to the interference ran against us and its subsequent lack of closure.

2. Because we are not ignorant of the potential threat when larger nations exert extreme amounts of political and social pressure on smaller ones. To you this may seem a simple matter, to us - its far more complicated. If you wish to see this as a form of Xenophobia, then I can't stop you.

3. Your concern for our election system is encouraging. However considering affiliation and that you are the creator of the above document, your motives are already questionable. There are other ways of gaining this information without turning to public outrage for validation. I might suggest you try one of those first.
    President of Steadfast

And way too many alts...

Quote Originally Posted by Encyros View Post
    Why has the mayor of this small municipality been seen less frequently in public than both the Members of the Board of Omni-Tek and the Legacy Leaders of the Joint Clans?
    Because we are not ignorant of the potential threat when larger nations exert extreme amounts of political and social pressure on smaller ones. To you this may seem a simple matter, to us - its far more complicated. If you wish to see this as a form of Xenophobia, then I can't stop you.
    When the Mayor does not appear in public, pressures on his city and its Council do not disappear with him.

You cannot seriously be suggesting that by refusing to show his face the Mayor somehow shields Newland from politics.

He is simply shifting the burden onto Trade Minister Chan who has been admirably active, and who quite rightly says that several subjects lie outside her domain to address.

A sly way to avoid accountability perhaps, but hardly effective government. Staying away in order to avoid perceived consequences isn't xenophobia. It's called hiding.

Why on Ka should we not expect the Mayor of an independent city to face the challenges confronting it, rather than cower and hope it will all go away?

I ask you to consider that if someone had given that same answer to the same question, for some other city state, you would have demolished that answer in your usual way.
    Last edited by Encyros; Aug 1st, 2014 at 01:56:09.
    Andrew Phillips
    Omni-Reform
    Truth is Power

Mr.Phillips,

While your concern for the city is commendable, it is misguided. Let me put the matter to rest here and now that I am in fact not hiding. The needs of my office are being met, and that has taken the majority of my time. Rest assured Newland City is still operating as it should be, despite your observations. I have received no complaints or summons, or any contact for that matter from Omni-Tek in a long while and I suspect I won't.

Mr. King,

Quite the contrary. Both the leaders of the Clans and of Omni-Tek, who govern over areas far larger than Newland, have had more engagement with ordinary citizens than you in that long while.

Instead you have remained aloof, overtaken by the lofty needs of your office.

Given that contact with you has seldom generated any result except an amateurish attempt at legalese, the late lack of contact speaks for itself.

The notable exception, of course, was aggression against our capital.

Perhaps you should learn some modesty, when you have so much to be modest about.
    Andrew Phillips
    Omni-Reform
    Truth is Power

Dear Mister Philips.

You are becoming quite the champion of moral superiority these days regarding matters that do not even remotely concern you. Fortunately, our mayor does not lead his office under your watchful eye. If you wish to continue this cheap line of harassment, then you should know we are not even under moral obligation to acknowledge it.

And I'm inclined to believe that the onus of modesty should be upon the aggressor.

And in closing, piss off.
    President of Steadfast

And way too many alts...

Ah, there we go. Back to your usual trolling of these boards. The part-time engineer cum virologist cum 'business leader' (whatever that is) overreaches himself.

I knew it would happen sooner or later.
    Andrew Phillips
    Omni-Reform
    Truth is Power

You stepped up with a mouth full of curt verbal diarrhea, and then call me a Troll for giving it back to you?

I'm all a flutter.
    President of Steadfast

And way too many alts...

Hahahaha. [...] "Non-compliant employees." 9/10 Would chuckle again.
    I hope a beloved member of your family gets infected, so you can look inside yourself and be disgusted.
    Wouldn't be the first time someone lit a bag of poop on their doorstep.
    Thank you for your kind words, Mister Omni-pol Somebody.
    I'm going with Taco Delivery myself.
    I can't even comply with their bathroom policies.
    I truly believe you guys deserve a special reward for all the comedy you bring to Rubi-ka!
    I am pretty sure I may have a possible solution to this 'infection'.
    Absolutely. I'm done.
    Andrew Phillips
    Omni-Reform
    Truth is Power

Ohhhh, all my greatest hits. No autographs, please.
    President of Steadfast

And way too many alts...