Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Monthly feedback

Monthly feedback

Dear Funcom, and fellow gamers,

In the pass few months, i have been observing the activity and progress of Anarchy online, in game and on the forum.
    Accroding to my calculation i regret to inform you that the activity has dropped faster than i expected. I suspect that this is due to many complicated reasons that happened to the game in the pass years.

In my opinion the population of Anarchy online started to degrade back in 2007-2008 when population reached its peak.
    Then instanced Pandemonium, daily missions, and other changes got introduced and that killed the aspect of the "massively" of Anarchy online, and the game became multi online role playing game.

Another thing is you must take all feedbacks from the playerbase into consideration and dont ignore or punish them by locking the threads on the forums or ban players that express their feelings. Even if the feedback is demotivating to read. By doing so, I believe you dont understand the importance of negative feedbacks, so i will try to explain this in bellow sentences.
    Ignoring negative feedbacks from angry players is a stupid move, because when there is no activity, or not even negative feedbacks to recieve. Then it is time for you to really concerns about your product.

The intention of this letter is to discuss the reason why Anarchy online has to come to this state that we are expriencing to day. And let the few players that is stil active have to say what thay want to say. It doesnt matter if it is positive or negative. Because positive feedback is as importen as negative feedback, and one cannot exsits alone without another.

For once, i really hope you, the developers understands the importance of the negative feedbacks, even it is demotivating to comprihend.
    My advice for you is to take advantage of the negativity, and make it into your benefits.

Thank you for reading, goodluck and best wishes you all.
    . . . everything in creation is impermanenT

I said back then that the population of the game was on a downward spiral and I was told by Kintaii that my observations were baseless and that the sub numbers had remained steady for years. Now look where we are.

My original thread: http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...d.php?t=594118

PM to Kintaii:

Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii
    Wow man, that's a little... harsh sounding. We've never released any kind of subscriber numbers, ever - There was that one dude who made guesstimates that people liked to think was right, but every time he came out with a new chart we just kind laughed at it.

Things aren't as dire as people like to try and make them out to be - Number of active players on-dimension at any given time are pretty much the same as they have been for a long while now and haven't changed much. Sorry to burst your bubble there, man, but yeah - Not really a lot different in terms of numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Raggy
    And I can understand if you cannot directly answer it due to contracts and whatever.

When you look at a/the servers' population from your end, what are you seeing?

# of active accounts? Peak of active connections? # of Chars played within a certain timeframe?

I just want to know the answer to this because FunCom has yet to release info about the remaining amount of players which to me, seems like a cover-up, so not to confirm what everyone is thinking. That the game really is a sinking ship running out of corks to plug the holes.
    Pricecuts - 220 Trader
    Feel free to contact me via PM or in-game.

Raggy - 220 Bureaucrat || Raggeh - 220 Fixer | Back as 'Raggys' - Shade for the time being. | Nuclei - 217 Nanotechnician || Nanobiology - 214 Doctor

Tip #743: As noted in Tip #244, tea bags have an infinite variety of uses. However, there's always one jerk who will want to give you crap over drinking tea. Particularly if in a new town, use this as an opportunity to assert yourself. Any drunken idiot can win a bar fight. It takes a real man to win a bar fight while enjoying a cup of Earl Grey.

Wow, they actually laugh at people who make an effort. Explains a lot really, being on the AO team seems like a permanent paid vacation.
    Last edited by Pafpuf; Jul 19th, 2014 at 21:14:30.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYbl5B8R9-E

How the ESO team deal with players and the game they are paid to work on.

Just leaves me feeling cold about how we are treated.
    Caloss2 LVL 220 melee VANGUARD (semi retired).....Llewlyn 220/30/70 meepmeep.....Boooocal 220../30/70 Soldier.......Knack 220/30/70 Keeper.....Hiesenberg 215/xx/xx NT NERFED Neytiri1 220/30/70 Shade Knacker220/30/70Meat shield
    https://www.youtube.com/user/caloss2 for guides/walkthroughs/letsplays and all your other AO needs
    Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta
    In my special design documents that I feed to the FC devs, who are my willing slaves.

What concerns me is the inactivity, not only ingame during EU prime time but on the forum the pass months aswell.
    What i have seen so far and hearing players have been banned from forum due to their expressions, combined with the reply from Mr Kintaii to Raggy as shown above, i believe Funcom is lost in space somewhere.
    This is not a good trend in my opinion, and hopefully there are players out there who can enlighten Funcom without being banned on the forum, or having their thread locked or removed.
    Because this is bad for both FC and the players, and it is not good for anything.
    Last edited by UNIDENTIFIED; Jul 20th, 2014 at 02:47:05.

cya at the next AOcon
    Genele: ofc I come back to u difs. U used to look as hot as me

Quote Originally Posted by Difs View Post
    cya at the next AOcon
    Sorry to dissapoint you, but you wont see me, because i am UNIDENTIFED.

See offical FC news letter from 12 August 2001

So Kintaii was talking out his butt about never releasing subscriber numbers. Now have they done so since that news letter? Not that I can find.

The lesson here is never say never.
    Lheann
    President of When I Grow Up

Lhisa - MA - RK1
    MaxKillz - Enf - RK1
    Namaru - Enf - RK1

"If you find yourself loosing a fight, your tatics suck."

Quote Originally Posted by UNIDENTIFIED View Post

In my opinion the population of Anarchy online started to degrade back in 2007-2008 when population reached its peak.
    Then instanced Pandemonium, daily missions, and other changes got introduced and that killed the aspect of the "massively" of Anarchy online, and the game became multi online role playing game.
    Correlation does not imply causation. We've also seen a sharp decline in any new content since then, and very slow progress on anything promised. I'd say that has had a more significant impact on numbers than any instancing did.
    Dagger 220/30/70 Shade // Attempted 219/24/?? Enforcer // Canidae 180/0/0 Adventurer // World 185/26/32 Meta-Physicist// Cramp 150/20/35 Engineer
    Ya wanna fix something - give RK mobs better xp, make RK matter again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mamman View Post
    Give shades love or we will stop buffing people!!

Quote Originally Posted by Caloss2 View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYbl5B8R9-E

How the ESO team deal with players and the game they are paid to work on.

Just leaves me feeling cold about how we are treated.
    I played ESO for a bit... game was decent-ish.

What was astounding was seeing Zenimax go through a lot of kneejerk reactions with nerfing stuff left and right without looking at the underlying problems.

Quite often they seemed more amateur-ish then FC does at times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubbacrush View Post
    Somewhere, an engi logged in, and several soldiers just magically fell over dead.

Just a point of obviousism but after a game reaches it's "peak" population, of course the population will decline. Isn't that sort of obvious?

Also, I'd just like to say that in the last week or so I levelled a new toon, and I saw many people in nasc: at garden, at crip cave, in crip cave dungeon, in 2M, and even saw other people in steppes!

then we went ely, and I saw other people in trash mobs at P7, weavers, and many other people at tiigs. I haven't got to do any ely hecks yet, but my feeling is that as soon as me and my mates do some ely hecks, we are gunna see a lot of other people.

Game feels good lately! Org is very busy too.

Just a point of obviousism but after a game reaches it's "peak" population, of course the population will decline. Isn't that sort of obvious?
    It can seems obvious that what goes up must goes down. However, in order to grow or remain competitive in the MMO market, a good game should achieve new peaks, and new highs.
    Anarchy online is a good game but it doesnt achieve new highs and that is too bad, in my opinion.
    Last edited by UNIDENTIFIED; Jul 24th, 2014 at 01:16:22.

Quote Originally Posted by Pafpuf View Post
    Wow, they actually laugh at people who make an effort. Explains a lot really, being on the AO team seems like a permanent paid vacation.
    I will join the team for 150,000 USD a year. FC please PM me if you are willing to hire me. I can laugh at the player base all day for that kind of cash.

In reply to the general theme of this thread - i.e. "the population has been declining over several years, WTF are you doing funcom?"...

My reply is this - AO is a 13 year old game and there have been ups and downs over the last few years, but as a returning player who has been playing on-and-off over the last several years, I would say that I am having more fun now in 2014 then I have had since about 2009 or even earlier. This is because despite the lower population, I think funcom have done a good job to make changes to the game that compensate for the lower population and keep it enjoyable despite the lower number of people there are around.

This includes all the convenience items (i.e. new medical kits), the increased XP you can get with less team effort (from all the daily's etc), the improved nodrop armor/weapon choices and even the item store (although I don't use it, there is definitely stuff in there worth getting). It is still very possible to level up to 220 just as fast (or even faster, if you know how) because people are, on average higher skilled players and better quipped, they have more alts they can log (or multi box) depending on the situation to arrange a team for pretty much anything you need on the fly, compared to 2009. Therefore I'd say funcom have done quite a good job at adapting the game to the lower population.

Finally, we have GRACE, which means that if you are good at farming credits you don't even need to pay for the game anymore, lol.

All of the major parts of the game have activity in them, the only downside is that the smaller parts of the game that we all enjoyed at one point or another are no longer here, but the big picture is still there.

Long story short - enjoy the game for what it is, and gj to funcom.
    Last edited by Platypus135; Jul 25th, 2014 at 02:46:25.
    Casual/former player known as
    - Nnivekccub / Kingduck / Mongoose

Quote Originally Posted by Platypus135 View Post
    In reply to the general theme of this thread - i.e. "the population has been declining over several years, WTF are you doing funcom?"...

My reply is this - AO is a 13 year old game and there have been ups and downs over the last few years, but as a returning player who has been playing on-and-off over the last several years, I would say that I am having more fun now in 2014 then I have had since about 2009 or even earlier. This is because despite the lower population, I think funcom have done a good job to make changes to the game that compensate for the lower population and keep it enjoyable despite the lower number of people there are around.

This includes all the convenience items (i.e. new medical kits), the increased XP you can get with less team effort (from all the daily's etc), the improved nodrop armor/weapon choices and even the item store (although I don't use it, there is definitely stuff in there worth getting). It is still very possible to level up to 220 just as fast (or even faster, if you know how) because people are, on average higher skilled players and better quipped, they have more alts they can log (or multi box) depending on the situation to arrange a team for pretty much anything you need on the fly, compared to 2009. Therefore I'd say funcom have done quite a good job at adapting the game to the lower population.

Finally, we have GRACE, which means that if you are good at farming credits you don't even need to pay for the game anymore, lol.

All of the major parts of the game have activity in them, the only downside is that the smaller parts of the game that we all enjoyed at one point or another are no longer here, but the big picture is still there.

Long story short - enjoy the game for what it is, and gj to funcom.
    To be honest, GRACE was implemented into the game to help the economy.
    In the recent year(s) there has been over 7000B implemented into the economy without a source. Hence why AI Armor prices have rose 500% in price and IGOCs have tripled in value.

Slowly but surely the economy will go back to relatively normal. Or atleast I hope so.

A wise move on FC's part!

Now in regards to the thread...

I agree, the game is dying... But not in the way everyone is thinking.
    Many veterans have stopped paying their accounts, this doesn't mean they will not re-activate in the future months. This game, to be honest, is much too unique to just pass up. There is no other game like this.
    Also, there are still a decent number of new players coming into the population, we as experienced players need to help them. Doing so will help re-populate Anarchy Online with experienced players, not just newbies that have no idea what the game is truly about.

Yes, the player population has noticeably decreased since the peak (2007-2009) however:
    There is still Borealis PVP
    There are still Tower Wars (Sadly not 50vs50, yet it still exists)
    There are still many PVM Raids
    There are still many ways to level (In the past few weeks I have seen multiple old-school Elysium/Nasc heckler teams, also kite teams ofc)

To end this reply, the game is as 'dead' as you make it.

Quote Originally Posted by Holding View Post
    To be honest, GRACE was implemented into the game to help the economy.
    In the recent year(s) there has been over 7000B implemented into the economy without a source. Hence why AI Armor prices have rose 500% in price and IGOCs have tripled in value.

Slowly but surely the economy will go back to relatively normal. Or atleast I hope so.
    I bought a GRACE today to add a month to one of my accounts that was due to expire last week. I paid 1bil and I think that was more than reasonable. I read your comment and it got me to thinking about what is really happening with this GRACE item.

I'm going to divide players into a few different pools, for the purpose of illustrating my point:

Pool A: Players that lack the time, in-game resources, desire/whatever to obtain in-game items themselves.

Pool B: Players that legitimately earn credits by selling items to other players or farming items in-game that result in credits in some way.

Pool C: Players that exploited credits

So what I see happening:

- Player Pool A buys GRACE from funcom and posts it on GMI for ~1bil.
    - Player Pool B buys GRACE from Player A for ~1bil
    - Player Pool A uses credits to buy items from Player Pool B because of the reasons I named above.
    - Rinse and repeat

I don't think Player Pool A is paying RL money to horde credits. They're paying RL money because there's stuff they want to buy. So for someone like me.. I could probably finance all 3 accounts indefinitely (until people stop buying GRACE from funcom) because I'm always posting things on the GMI for sale. The prices aren't going to get lower because Player Pool A is buying credits to pay the ridiculously high prices.. and if they're not, Player Pool C will because they have more credits than they can ever spend in 5 lifetimes.

I guess my point is that I'm not clear on what factor you think will cause the economy to go back to normal (assuming you mean prices similar to pre-merge or before) in a reasonable amount of time (i.e. a year.. not 5-10 more).
    You can find me at:
    Battlenet @ Marilata#1680
    Steam @ http://steamcommunity.com/id/marilata

Quote Originally Posted by Traderjill View Post
    I bought a GRACE today to add a month to one of my accounts that was due to expire last week. I paid 1bil and I think that was more than reasonable. I read your comment and it got me to thinking about what is really happening with this GRACE item.

I'm going to divide players into a few different pools, for the purpose of illustrating my point:

Pool A: Players that lack the time, in-game resources, desire/whatever to obtain in-game items themselves.

Pool B: Players that legitimately earn credits by selling items to other players or farming items in-game that result in credits in some way.

Pool C: Players that exploited credits

So what I see happening:

- Player Pool A buys GRACE from funcom and posts it on GMI for ~1bil.
    - Player Pool B buys GRACE from Player A for ~1bil
    - Player Pool A uses credits to buy items from Player Pool B because of the reasons I named above.
    - Rinse and repeat

I don't think Player Pool A is paying RL money to horde credits. They're paying RL money because there's stuff they want to buy. So for someone like me.. I could probably finance all 3 accounts indefinitely (until people stop buying GRACE from funcom) because I'm always posting things on the GMI for sale. The prices aren't going to get lower because Player Pool A is buying credits to pay the ridiculously high prices.. and if they're not, Player Pool C will because they have more credits than they can ever spend in 5 lifetimes.

I guess my point is that I'm not clear on what factor you think will cause the economy to go back to normal (assuming you mean prices similar to pre-merge or before) in a reasonable amount of time (i.e. a year.. not 5-10 more).
    Ah, I may have misinterpreted exactly how GRACE worked, I figured it was bought directly from FC via in-game credits :3, or so I've heard..

WTB Funcom implementing this, THEN it would bring back the economy lmao

Quote Originally Posted by Holding View Post
    Ah, I may have misinterpreted exactly how GRACE worked, I figured it was bought directly from FC via in-game credits :3, or so I've heard..

WTB Funcom implementing this, THEN it would bring back the economy lmao
    Nope. 1 player pays 14.95 to funcom and gets a code. They go in-game and redeem the code on the GMI and they are granted a GRACE item in their GMI inventory. That same player then sells it, via GMI, to another player. Once purchased, the player can hold on to it, resell it or redeem it for 30 days game time.
    You can find me at:

The only people who could possibly complain about instancing stuff is the small number of people who could still get loot when every raid was public. If there's only one Beast for the entire population every 18 hours, and just to make up some number let's say BoC drops 30% of the time, how many BoC's are added to the game in an entire year? Someone else can do the real math, but it would be around 100, or 10 a month, or some number in that order of magnitude. Only 10 characters per month get a BoC. And you have to be online at the right time for every raid. Those 10 people sure like having the Beast public so they can feel special, but the rest have no reason to be happy about that.

I doubt any significant number of people quit because of instancing. There have been several instances of game changes that angered players that caused waves of quitting, but really it is a lot to expect of a game that it remain fun even after you've literally played over a thousand hours in it. Over time the number of people who still find it fun can only decrease. New content/new mechanics can confront this issue somewhat, but only somewhat. Most new content is mastered quickly and becomes yet another part of been there, done that. If the "systems changes" are profound enough that everyone has to relearn the game and learn new toolsets, maybe that will be enough to add a few hundred more hours of fun
    General of Nocturnal Fear
    Trypha 220/30/70 Engy | Trypothecary 220/30/69 Doc | Tryptophy 220/30/68 Crat | Trypocalypse 220/30/70 Sold | Tryharder 220/30/68 NT | Trypointy 220/x/x Shade | Peasantry 200/30/69 Keeper | Trycharm 150/20/42 Crat

Quote Originally Posted by Tryptophy View Post
    I doubt any significant number of people quit because of instancing.
    I believe you are correct. I do recall a noticeable amount of the RK2 population quitting prior to instancing taking place.. a lot of them as a result of faction in-fighting over FFA days and general boredom with endgame content basically being taken over by zerg bots.

Instancing was just another case of funcom reacting to an issue that was years old, too late.
    You can find me at:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast