Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Letter from the Game Director - My last update

Quote Originally Posted by Garremp View Post
    Right click to equip instead of twinking is nothing like WoW? Battlegrounds err Battlestatons are nothing like WoW? "Tier" Sets are nothing like WoW? Shade and Keeper are nothing like any professions in WoW?

Shadowlands might have been released before WoW but the influence is pretty obvious. I do not care who copied who but the things i dislike in WoW made me start hate AO. People farming one instance to get one certain item that every class needs.

AO has changed its style from a game where your character strenght was determined by the thought you invested into it (old twinking, lots of blitzing to get high ql items to be stronger as a character) to a game where your characters strength relies on the time you invested into it (AI city farming for example). I hope you get my point now why i do not like the WoW'ishness in AO and i think a lot people do not like it either.
    Regardless of how much you want to say that those things are like something from WoW, then what you seem to be unable to understand is that SL was out a year prior to WoW, and as such, those things in WoW are a clone of AO. Enclosed fighting areas are not a unique thing to WoW either.. what you might refer to is EverQuest, which the original WoW is a very direct clone of.

People did used to have to do things you say, I couldn't equip ql300 scouts in all slots back when AI was the newest thing... I couldn't make ql 300 tier armor. But go ahead and forget what it was in your rant against what it was... yes, that's how it is NOW, because everyone skips directly to the uber twink items for endgame chars, so they can skip all the various things they would normally have to do to get some other items equipped. Including all the perks and research, you have access to so much twink potential at endgame that you can skip past much of anything. And I would like to disagree with time not being a factor back in the day... time was very, very much a factor.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Omg - the next Game Director is going -.- I think thats the beginning of the End... No innovations, boringness and the Funcom Politics are the main reason that kills AO...

Rk1/2 are at the moment still dead again of the new Launches of the WOW Addon and Guildwars2...

Funcom do something for AO or you will kill it with our lack of interest!!!

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by Alves View Post
    Omg - the next Game Director is going -.- I think thats the beginning of the End... No innovations, boringness and the Funcom Politics are the main reason that kills AO...
    In short, the only thing that's actually changing is that we're improving the way the team is structured. You might want to read my response to a different post here

Rk1/2 are at the moment still dead again of the new Launches of the WOW Addon and Guildwars2...

Funcom do something for AO or you will kill it with our lack of interest!!!
    We are still working on the same things. New Player Experience, Server Migration, Engine Upgrade (which includes upgrading the art assets), and Profession Balance/Systems Changes. This is what we have been doing, and we're still doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilaliya View Post
    In short, the only thing that's actually changing is that we're improving the way the team is structured. You might want to read my response to a different post here

We are still working on the same things. New Player Experience, Server Migration, Engine Upgrade (which includes upgrading the art assets), and Profession Balance/Systems Changes. This is what we have been doing, and we're still doing.
    We wait over 2 Years about the Grafik Engine Upgrade... We wait about one and a half Year about the Rebalancing/System Changes and Bugfixes... I dont believe that Funcom works active on these Things... How long should we wait for that - 10 Years or what?

Sorry that is nothing against you, but i dont believe anymore that Funcom employees write here... If the Changes dont come very fast, i will cancel my Accounts for ever... and i'm not the only one that will do that...
    Last edited by Alves; Sep 29th, 2012 at 21:13:36.

Many people would come back to AO for a fresh experience (new engine and balancing), and by many it would likely be a few hundred returning subscribers within a few months. With a special yearly subscritption offer as a promotion even more might give AO a new chance. Then given proper advertising and positive reviews of the changes, there should be a significant number of new players as well as more returning players, I would not guess this number but it should certainly be major positive growth after a short period of time.

If AO's engine and rebalancing really are close to being done, then there is no point in complaining anymore. Play something else for a while if you are not enjoying AO then come back if you want. If AO's engine and rebalancing do not get completed then you would be doing something else anyways and you would have lost nothing. There is no one to blame but yourself if you are paying for a product you do not want.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatester View Post
    There is no one to blame but yourself if you are paying for a product you do not want.
    I've seen people state this quite a bit over the past year but the problem is that if you sub for a year.. you've pre-paid for time and you don't get a refund by cancelling your account (the account cancels effective the last day of paid time). So.... this probably goes without saying but if, for instance (as this was in my case) the game is playable for a player when they resubscribe and then it degrades to the point of being unplayable.. you've still paid (are paying) for time and your only outlet becomes complaining about the things that make the game unplayable (for you). The population issue, I think, is one of the bigger concerns that affects a good portion of the population these days and if you're paying for a MMOrpg that doesn't have the 'massively multi-player' portion then you're not getting what you (pre) paid for and are justified in complaining.

Technically, even if you've pre-paid for a month and do not feel that you're getting what you paid for.. as a customer you have a right and an obligation (to yourself) to voice that in the appropriate forum/manner.
    You can find me at:
    Battlenet @ Marilata#1680
    Steam @ http://steamcommunity.com/id/marilata

That only works for people who have been complaining for less than their subscription time. Some people have been complaining for several years...they have resubbed and continued to complain since then.

I do not mind complaining, but it is the people who act as though FC has either taken away their time or stopped them from doing something else that bugs me.

Well I've voiced complaints and concerns via PM's, forum posts and via e-mail for several years and continued to renew multiple accounts in the process. The reason? Because I hadn't reached the point where the problems/complaints outweighed the positives/fun I got out of playing the game. I don't think that it is either one extreme (no complaints) or the other (total complaints/hate the game). I think providing feedback to company's is an important part of the overall purchase cycle as a customer. I like to tell a company what I like with the hopes that they'll take that feedback into consideration and give me more of that.. and tell them what I dislike so that maybe they'll give me less of that.

So.. not sure how you're able to determine which person fits into the category you describe as everyone's line in the sand would be different based on their in-game priorities, expectations, etc for the game. There's no way to tell if someone was 'happy' until X factor and then all of a sudden they feel as if they have been used/taken by Funcom.
    You can find me at:
    Battlenet @ Marilata#1680
    Steam @ http://steamcommunity.com/id/marilata

I affirm that I will not jump in the middle of this thread merely to point out poor math skills.

I *will* say that I logged in yesterday to return any borrowed items, in preparation for my sub expiring. The graphics didn't look bad, per se, they just looked the same as they had when I first started playing the game; they looked stale. So I echo Harois I suppose.
    Ghosts of Rimor
    Gorastopr 220 MA Doctor :: No pew pew. Thwack thwack.
    Goratinkr TL5 OT Hurler Factotum Engineer :: Bringin' the thunder since 2008.
    Scrubup 100 Bow Doctor :: Will she ever get out of perk reset? Stay tuned!
    Ghosts of Atlantean
    Unda TL7 MA Engineer :: Crying for more crit.
    Measles LVL1 Pistol Doctor :: It takes 2 stims to self the Expertises.

Quote Originally Posted by Le-Quack View Post
    i might be a troll

Quote Originally Posted by Ilaliya View Post
    Let me be clear on this: Server migration or server merge?

I'm all for a server-side hardware/software upgrade. That improves the game for everyone.

But actually eliminating a server--well that makes me think that even with all the other plans (NPE, balancing, and new engine) you expect the population to continue decreasing. In that case, I don't see the point in putting so many resources into enhancing a dying game. I'd rather see the effort devoted to content and events for a proper end-of-life storyline stretching out over a year or two.

Merging RK1 with RK2, and keeping a second server open actually makes LESS sense at this point. The only reasons for that would be either AO entering some new market (which is mind-boggling, considering the German server closed years ago and I think the Japanese OOC channels have vanished, too.)...or alternatively you think that existing players would like a server with a fresh start--which simply can't happen if the talk about cross-server sales through the new market system is true.
    Last edited by Keldros; Sep 30th, 2012 at 14:24:39.

Funcom employee

The terms 'server merge' vs 'server migration' tends to get a bit mixed up internally due to what it technically is and what it means for players.

But, I'll clarify.

RK1 and RK2 will be merged into a single server. After the merge there is only 1 server.
    You won't be able to play on RK1 or RK2 anymore, instead you'll play with your existing characters from both dimensions on this single new server.

There won't be any transition period. It'll be a 1-off thing.
    2 servers go down, 1 server comes up. That's it.

Technically this is a completely new server, but this technicality is also irrelevant for players.
    This new server has newer and better hardware. It'll be able to handle the combined population and population growth just fine.
    An AO server has never been a single piece of hardware. Playfields are spread over different physical machines.
    We can scale the hardware up where we need to.
    Last edited by Vhab; Oct 1st, 2012 at 11:21:29.
    My posts are my own and do not reflect the views of my current nor former employers/clients

Remco "Vhab" van Oosterhout
    Former Anarchy Online Game Programmer

Live Chat Support | E-mail Support | Forum Rules | AODevs | Vha.Chat

So you're saying this will be like TSW?

Funcom employee

I'm saying it'll be like AO has always been, but with 1 instead of 2 dimensions.
    My posts are my own and do not reflect the views of my current nor former employers/clients

What will happen if a player has say 8 chars on RK1 and 6 chars on RK2? Will you double char slots?

Quote Originally Posted by Vhab View Post
    I'm saying it'll be like AO has always been, but with 1 instead of 2 dimensions.
    No more Atlantean.
    No more Rimor.

Behold... the one server to rule them all... "Rubi-Ka"!
    Twitch Channel - Youtube Channel - Twitter - Facebook - Pinterest
    AO Universe - By Players, For Players! The #1 AO Fansite Worldwide - Site Founder (Retired). | AOSpeak - Unofficial AO Teamspeak 3 Server - Founder (Retired). | AO Recipebook - In-Game Recipe/Tradeskill Bot - Founder (Retired).
    Founding member of the Council of Truth Clerical Staff.
    Keep in mind: My posts are my own personal views and thoughts.

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by Scottik View Post
    What will happen if a player has say 8 chars on RK1 and 6 chars on RK2? Will you double char slots?
    Please read the replies given by us in the following thread: http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...d.php?t=600897

Never really been very active on the forums, but here goes:
    Sucks to see you go, Lindelu! You were an amazing GD, and I wish you the best of luck with future endeavors.
    So long, and thanks for all the fish.

We wait over 2 Years about the Grafik Engine Upgrade... We wait about one and a half Year about the Rebalancing/System Changes and Bugfixes... I dont believe that Funcom works active on these Things... How long should we wait for that - 10 Years or what?
    Graphic engine announced 2007, so that's 5 years.
    Rebalancing announced January 2009 - so almost 4 years.

In light of these facts, you might want to revise your above opinion.

Props go to Quitter456/Quieter456/Louderer789 for keeping track of the dates.
    Eroz, finally 220/26/70 Adventurer & proud General of Regulators on ex-RK2 (outdated) equip
    Rokroland, 170 Engineer No more crab for j00 Northern Front on ex-RK2
    Ranged roxxorz!
    Sig last updated properly when West Athens still had people sitting about the subway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Siahanor View Post
    Complaining about the realism of height changing mechanics in a game that has people who can channel their anger to make huge killer meatballs.

I am sorry to be complaining. AO is great as it is. AO has no problems whatsoever. Do not change anything. In the state as it is it will keep on running another 12 years. AO has no influence from WoW and this is not making me leave.

This game has roughly 5 armor sets: Carb for leveling, CC, CSS, CM and OFAB for the endgame. Twinking works fine with implants because the old implant system is good and opens a vast number of items to the audience (3 possible clusters, some for stats, some for manipulation of the required ability and that over 200 quality levels). Alphas and Betas as well as normal symbiants ruin that system with level restrictions. You are giving us a new engine, great, that will lure in some people but will not get many people hooked on a fubar system. Hundreds of weapon models and armor skins are catching dust in the database instead of being reused in new revamped items and tradeskills (with a good mixture of armors, weapons and tools the grand new rebalancing would be obsolete, except for AS and other specials and the perk system). We get a new "New player experience", and a lot of other stuff is promised to us and we were asked for patience and a lot of patience has been used to wait for that features but instead of adding some smaller "enhancements" all we got where new promises and excuses why the big enhancements are delayed... again.

I used to play since Beta 4. I have tried almost every MMO since that but never got on a game as hooked as on AO. I encourage everyone that is not satisfied with AO to quit their subscription instead of posting solutions to this or that problem. I have seen so many different great ideas but they chose to ignore them all. They do not want your input, they do not want your opinion, all they want is your money to spend it on silly games like TSW (originally promoted that it is going to be F2P but FC decided to milk the customers a bit more by releasing it as a full price title with a 3/5 day trial that is going F2P anyways. This alone says a lot about the company.)

WTB Ilaliya's letter !
    Thornee - resurrected lowbie, former 200 Fixer
    Stannerd - 220 Soldier
    Megusta - TL7 Doc
    Kaleeh - TL5 Shade

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast