Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Monthly Development Update - 30th April 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Artyomis View Post
    2. Process
    Problem is specific motivation to keep instance crowded. If you're going to provide large amount of sk/xp as a reward - it'll decrease interest to other types of content. Otherwise - I can't see a reason for people to have permanent interest to new instance.
    Are you serious when you're indirectly saying that decreasing "interest" for Elysium hecklers from 50-160 and inferno-missions from 160-220 is a bad thing? (And before you ask; yes I know there are alternative ways of obtaining xp, but besides dailies none of them are being used, you can't even find an Adonis-heckler team more than once every 3 months now, and usually it's someone getting faction to get to pen and on to inf.)
    Jihnna 220/30/80 Shade
    Underworld

Well, people dinged 220 even before AI was released, the only "cheat-mode" was kiting at ely hecks. All that content made things much faster and easier than before.
    I'm indirectly saying that ely hecks kiting can and should be removed, but such change should come in pair with overall PvM/levelling in SL process rework, which is best thing to do, imo.

Ideal way to "force" players to do every content possible is to spread all endgame or top-twink items all around different playfields.
    For example - want AI armor head piece - do AI content N 1. Want chest piece - do content N 2, and so on.

Now - most players "evade" 90% of content if they can skip it while powerlevelling to 220 or while working on specific twink, except maybe some profs and level combinations. And thats the major problem to me,, speaking of PvM.
    I still hope that AO is a game built around endgame PvP purpose, not for endless chainfarming of creds.
    Last edited by Artyomis; Apr 30th, 2014 at 18:02:59.
    G.F.B.D.
    --------------------------------------------
    Artyomis has played 800 days 0 hours 0 minutes 0 seconds
    WTB subscription price lowered for eastern europe countries due to current USD/EUR-to-local-currency rates.

Quote Originally Posted by Genele View Post
    No, this area and mechanics is made from scratch.

The mission objective to that of the Entvined mission "protect something" is the same though. However, completely new mission types are often rare to come by in such an old game. "Protect something" is not nearly as common as kill missions.
    I'll make sure the monsters feel different to fight for sure.
    And the goal in this area is to complete the mission, not to survive for as long as possible. As this is a means of leveling, it will not be designed purely for elite players. Well, unless we end up making the hard core mode.
    So if I understand, this is a Single-Team instance, not a battle between multiple teams to see who does more damage? Also, not PvP?

I would strongly suggest you go forward with your idea of a hardcore choice and a less difficult choice (easy) ... as many of us do not already have end-game gear.

I also think for it to truly succeed in your goal to include more players and perhaps get some returning players ... It definitely needs to be placed in Pen and Adonis as well, again with 2 choices of difficulty.

Best of luck with all the mechanics working for you during development, testing etc.

Emma

Well, people dinged 220 even before AI was released, the only "cheat-mode" was kiting at ely hecks. All that content made things much faster and easier than before.
    I'm indirectly saying that ely hecks kiting can and should be removed, but such change should come in pair with overall PvM/levelling in SL process rework, which is best thing to do, imo.
    Ah, well, while I do agree on that statement, we both know that won't ever happen :/
    Jihnna 220/30/80 Shade
    Underworld

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by Jihnna View Post
    Ah, well, while I do agree on that statement, we both know that won't ever happen :/
    The biggest problem I have with changing this is that it would make a lot of players angry. No matter how much time we spend on making Shadowlands the best leveling experience in the history of the gaming, it can't compare to sitting on your a** and doing nothing while someone else levels you.

instead of hiting us, players, with stuff we want, we see dead initiative to "trick" that there is something in works (pool, lol) and mission, which WONT do good, as pointed by Artyomis.

NW needs to be reworked at first place :/
    I like PvP
    TL6: Tereshkova 200 eng / Patrollerz 200 sol / Tankietka 200 NM enf / Pielegniarka 200 Tank Doc / Oleska 200 SOLIKeep
    TL5: Miazga 150 sol / Piknababa 150 NM Enf 2he / Gigantika 150 NM Enf / Malutki 150 Enf Trox WIP
    TL4: Ladyrazor 112 fixer (retired) / Shha 100 NT / Cycolina lvl 100 NM Enforcer
    + Tons of other chars...
    I make weird TwInkz!
    Signature updated: 29/06/2016

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by Emma View Post
    So if I understand, this is a Single-Team instance, not a battle between multiple teams to see who does more damage? Also, not PvP?
    Yes, this is correct. The missions will be pure pvm/pve. No competition, one single team per instance. "The opposite side" will be redeeemed/unredeemed monsters. Neutrals will be able to chose which side they decide to help.

The biggest problem I have with changing this is that it would make a lot of players angry. No matter how much time we spend on making Shadowlands the best leveling experience in the history of the gaming, it can't compare to sitting on your a** and doing nothing while someone else levels you.
    Well, it sounds pretty weird. So best deal is to make, for example, 5 PvM places/instances and call them:
    1. Kiting instance, level 1-50
    2. Kiting instance, level 51-100
    3. Kiting instance, level 101-150
    4. Kiting instance, level 151-200
    5. Kiting instance, level 201-220

In that case everyone will be happy cause he/she can sit afk while others powerlevel him/her to 220.
    I'm sure it's all about making AO interesting, not a "cheat-mode" game where you can hit endgame level in 3 days afk and then buy lootrights on every possible endgame item.

And thats why all my votes will always go to PvP changes of any kind, will it be new PvP content or NW changes or rebalancing.

Wtb pre-LE AO so much..........
    G.F.B.D.
    WTB subscription price lowered for eastern europe countries due to current USD/EUR-to-local-currency rates.

Inferno spirit room was a good place to level to 220 as well. Its still used as a ground to knockout research too.

@Genele. Good to see 'new' content then at least. Even it is a small addition, its still something. I hope this format proves to bring lots of little somethings all over the game.
    Towerblock, 220/30/70 Engineer
    President of Steadfast

And way too many alts...

Yes, this is correct. The missions will be pure pvm/pve. No competition, one single team per instance. "The opposite side" will be redeeemed/unredeemed monsters. Neutrals will be able to chose which side they decide to help.
    The potential 'bosses' that have random chances to pop should drop Side application Forms for Neuts, just to really drive the point home
    Pricecuts - 220 Trader
    Feel free to contact me via PM or in-game.

Raggy - 220 Bureaucrat || Raggeh - 220 Fixer | Back as 'Raggys' - Shade for the time being. | Nuclei - 217 Nanotechnician || Nanobiology - 214 Doctor

Tip #743: As noted in Tip #244, tea bags have an infinite variety of uses. However, there's always one jerk who will want to give you crap over drinking tea. Particularly if in a new town, use this as an opportunity to assert yourself. Any drunken idiot can win a bar fight. It takes a real man to win a bar fight while enjoying a cup of Earl Grey.

Quote Originally Posted by Towerblock View Post
    Inferno spirit room was a good place to level to 220 as well. Its still used as a ground to knockout research too.
    It is, yes, but compared to kite hill inf spirits room is dead, completely.

Another good way is to decrease red-gray scale of mobs, so, for example, ely hecks will grant xp only up to level 130, then they'll become gray, so players will be forced to use different way for levelling.

We can kill several rabbits with one barrel using that method. Players will still be able to level up afk, but they'll be forced to run/n/hit more due to shorter afk-levelling ranges.
    G.F.B.D.

Well.. while anyone 158 or 159+ can team a 220 to kill stuff for them, it isn't near as lucrative as being teamed with an NT kiting hecks... I am pretty sure that if you guys really wanted to you could do alot more to prevent "kiting" (which isn't really kiting anymore most of the time as it's someone with a 220 doc or enf agging all the hecks, and a NT staying at a distance AOE-nuking them). I know this has been brought up by others many times before and usually it's been replied with "but it's one of the NT's main toolset".. well, since you guys are constantly changing how many profession-nanos works in the beta now, maybe this is something you could consider as well...
    Jihnna 220/30/80 Shade
    Underworld

snip
    I'd support that.
    President of Steadfast

And way too many alts...

Funcom employee

Well.. while anyone 158 or 159+ can team a 220 to kill stuff for them, it isn't near as lucrative as being teamed with an NT kiting hecks... I am pretty sure that if you guys really wanted to you could do alot more to prevent "kiting" (which isn't really kiting anymore most of the time as it's someone with a 220 doc or enf agging all the hecks, and a NT staying at a distance AOE-nuking them). I know this has been brought up by others many times before and usually it's been replied with "but it's one of the NT's main toolset".. well, since you guys are constantly changing how many profession-nanos works in the beta now, maybe this is something you could consider as well...
    I'm not saying that I can't fix it, I'm just saying it will make a lot of people upset. I have a design document somewhere. Where I had designed heckler instances where NTs could kite... solo. And nerfing level ranges of the hecklers to match the zones they are in. So that the correct level players fight the hecklers in the zones they should. Lastly make hecklers and spirits fear high level players to prevent outside tanking. We could also change the teaming level ranges.

The reason why these changes were never done was that we expected a huge emo rage from a large part of the community. Trust me, I have wanted to swing a nerf bat at afk leveling for a very long time.

The reason why these changes were never done was that we expected a huge emo rage from a large part of the community. Trust me, I have wanted to swing a nerf bat at afk leveling for a very long time.
    Yeah, I do understand your reasoning. I guess I just think it's kinda sad that it's kind of a valid argument :/
    Jihnna 220/30/80 Shade
    Underworld

Funcom employee

Yeah, I do understand your reasoning. I guess I just think it's kinda sad that it's kind of a valid argument :/
    Well, we try to the best of our abilities to make changes that doesn't make everyone upset, hehe. If we succeed or not is another question.

Edit: What I'm trying to say is what players think is always an important factor when we make changes/new content.
    Last edited by Genele; Apr 30th, 2014 at 18:57:43.

I'm not saying that I can't fix it, I'm just saying it will make a lot of people upset. I have a design document somewhere. Where I had designed heckler instances where NTs could kite... solo. And nerfing level ranges of the hecklers to match the zones they are in. So that the correct level players fight the hecklers in the zones they should. Lastly make hecklers and spirits fear high level players to prevent outside tanking. We could also change the teaming level ranges.

That actually sounds like a pretty good way of teaching NTs the kite mechanic.
    Pricecuts - 220 Trader
    Feel free to contact me via PM or in-game.

Raggy - 220 Bureaucrat || Raggeh - 220 Fixer | Back as 'Raggys' - Shade for the time being. | Nuclei - 217 Nanotechnician || Nanobiology - 214 Doctor

Tip #743: As noted in Tip #244, tea bags have an infinite variety of uses. However, there's always one jerk who will want to give you crap over drinking tea. Particularly if in a new town, use this as an opportunity to assert yourself. Any drunken idiot can win a bar fight. It takes a real man to win a bar fight while enjoying a cup of Earl Grey.

Sure it's good with more options to level, but the leveling from 1-220 gets "a bit" tedious after having done it 13 times, without any kitteteam or whatever.
    Perhaps you could look into that a bit and/or slash the prices on those ridiculously overpriced in-game level boost things, while on the subject.
    Last edited by nanoforcer; Apr 30th, 2014 at 19:06:51.
    Don't you just hate this kind of ppl
    http://redwing.hutman.net/%7Emreed/w...rouscranus.htm

Well, we try to the best of our abilities to make changes that doesn't make everyone upset, hehe. If we succeed or not is another question.

Edit: What I'm trying to say is what players think is always an important factor when we make changes/new content.
    Its tragic that FC holds you back in that regard. I do not envy your job. :/
    President of Steadfast

And way too many alts...

have the dev team talked about the solution about the Research cap on lev 9 and 10 research lines?

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast