Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Multi monitor

Multi monitor

An thing i wonder about: is it anyone who actually get the multi monitor thingy to WORK?
    Since all cards now about support dual monitors, i though to test it, and, the change dont seem to work when i logged on test (ill of couse send bug report, just wondered if anyone actually see it work at all).
    (\_/)
    (O.o)
    (> <) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

Member of Angels of the night, Rimor

I don't understand a part, dual monitor like seeing same image on 2 monitors or expanded?

What is fixed, is AO now plays in all primary monitor configurations, earlier it only worked on one hardware screen output.

It dont show pictures on secondary screen, though.

In short, what i see, is AO now support all primary screen configurations, but not any trace of multi monitor support.

if i remember correct, isnt so old Directx'es as ao got,having no multimonitor support whatsoever? How can it possibly be made to actually support multi monitor whithout upgrading the DX methods to use Directx9 or so?

Edit: fullscreen do work, windowed dont.
    Last edited by Psyloche; Jul 8th, 2006 at 12:57:57.
    (\_/)
    (O.o)
    (> <) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

Heh, I would like to see the ability to drag all the sub windows out of the main window and onto the desktop of the second monitor.

This can be explained quite easily:

DirectX 9.0 can -still- support only one monitor at the time, and that is the "primary" one.
    This primary screen is not measured by the order of where your start button is on the screens, but on the hardware connection. (NOTE: only when using DualView and such)
    If you have two slots, i found that 9 out of 10 times the right one will be used for DirectX in multi-screen mode.
    (If you have a standard VGA and the digital connection, it ALWAYS is digital)

To make things short:
    Every graphics card can support only one screen at the time using DirectX.
    I haven't tested this with the stretched start-bar thing though, but i doubt that'll work.

So for those players who really want to have AO on 2 screens: Either use 2 computers, or 2 cards (Maybe SLI or Crossfire might work for this!!!)

I hope this helps for you, as I had to discover this after 4 and a half hours hazzling with my settings and whatnot. followed by some magical words in google which reveiled this to me.

Why Fullscreen works is because Windows doesnt see the display as 2 actual "Screens" then, in windowed it does.

Anarchy online use a so old directx it cannot be shown on more than one screen, many newer games ive actually been able to more the immage across two screens, so its possible to occupy entire screen by a windowed game(who get crap FPS because of hardware reasons).

Any other game with windowed mode usually can be dragged across to other screen, even if its started up on primary screen. It is quite possible it is not possible to support "ao on any screen", as one poster here sugest(i dont know).
    But, AO's device selector is not built to choose screen, when IT got made, secondary screens were not even though of.
    Why try to support "launching" game on second monitor, when, it can be agaisnt the construction of entire Directx? all other games seems to be able to be moved, tho, but AO is hardcoded to start on ONE Screen, by its method of starting game.
    (\_/)
    (O.o)

I run a matrox triple head to go with 3 19inch tft's

my combined resolution is 3840*1024 and my computer sees this has 1 giant monitor
    due to the triple head gadget

Ao wont even start up when i select this resolution, and the funny thing is
    in window mode ao wont even start up at 1280*1024

only way it will run is if i select 1280*1024 full screen, bit anoying to lose 2/3 of your
    monitor

on the matrox site, it says ao works with the triple head to go, but a recent patch
    must of changed this as it no longer does

im hoping the multi monitor fixes will sort this out, but ive got this nagging feeling
    dx7 which ao uses has a maximum resolution of around 2000 ish so wont be able to use my screen real estate to the full anyway
    Lordplayer: Lets just put it down to people being completely retarded carrying on the "reply nerf to any keeper topic" mentality of years gone by.

Cergorn 220/30/70 Atrox Keeper
    Yamura 220/30/70 Soli Crat

Can't you just use the "normal" multiple screen.
    Where it sees each screen independant and all have their own resolution instead of 1 big screen.
    I always found that much more easy to manage as windows don't maximize over multiple screens.
    In this situation AO will allow you to select the available resolutions of the primary screen.
    Formerly Vhab.
    Once upon a time ruled a server. And then sold out. Sorry.

I've been using dual monitors for years, and personally I'd find it rather distracting to span a scene across them... I play AO in windowed mode on my main monitor (a 23" widescreen LCD Apple Cinema Display @ 1920 x 1200) and use other programs (Clicksaver, browser, e-mail, Teamspeak, etc.) on the second monitor (21" Hitachi CRT @ 1600 x 1200).

I have two eVGA GeForce 7900 GTs, but because NVidia's SLI mode does not support dual monitors, I just have one card drive the widescreen LCD and the other drive the CRT.

Companies are coming out with widescreen (16:10) LCDs at smaller sizes (17 and 19 inches) which aren't significantly more expensive than their normal ratio (4:3) counterparts, so if you're reluctant to shell out $$$ for a big screen, the smaller widescreen LCDs could be a good alternative.

You won't even see a performace difference playing AO at a 16:10 resolution of 1440 x 900 compared to a 4:3 resolution of 1280 x 1024 (1,296,000 pixels vs. 1,310,720 pixels)... or maybe even a very slight performace boost (that's 14,720 pixels the video card doesn't have to render).

Anywho, that's my two cents
    Christine "Crisalys" Kochanski 220/30/70 Nanomage Nano-Technician

License Plates: 2007 / 2008 / 2009 / 2010 / 2011 / 2012 Plate Debate has ended!

Crisalys was born on Fri, Mar 29, 18:48:45, 2002, and as of November 6, 2011, 04:11 GMT,
    Crisalys has played 482 days 15 hours 48 minutes 36 seconds

There is DEFINITELY no letter "A" in the word DEFINITELY.
    What annoys you most at work?

Quote Originally Posted by crisalys
    I've been using dual monitors for years, and personally I'd find it rather distracting to span a scene across them... I play AO in windowed mode on my main monitor (a 23" widescreen LCD Apple Cinema Display @ 1920 x 1200) and use other programs (Clicksaver, browser, e-mail, Teamspeak, etc.) on the second monitor (21" Hitachi CRT @ 1600 x 1200).

I have two eVGA GeForce 7900 GTs, but because NVidia's SLI mode does not support dual monitors, I just have one card drive the widescreen LCD and the other drive the CRT.

Companies are coming out with widescreen (16:10) LCDs at smaller sizes (17 and 19 inches) which aren't significantly more expensive than their normal ratio (4:3) counterparts, so if you're reluctant to shell out $$$ for a big screen, the smaller widescreen LCDs could be a good alternative.

You won't even see a performace difference playing AO at a 16:10 resolution of 1440 x 900 compared to a 4:3 resolution of 1280 x 1024 (1,296,000 pixels vs. 1,310,720 pixels)... or maybe even a very slight performace boost (that's 14,720 pixels the video card doesn't have to render).

Anywho, that's my two cents
    Not to be annoying or anything, but you don't use SLI at all? If not, then you I'll pay for the shipping of that other card to my adress to help you use less power as one card can plug picture out on 2 monitors easily

Oh, and as for performance, then with my old PC configurations, I had no real difference in performance from running in 1600x1200 or 1024x768... It wasn't enough to make the game run better or worse, that's for sure.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta
    Not to be annoying or anything, but you don't use SLI at all? If not, then you I'll pay for the shipping of that other card to my adress to help you use less power as one card can plug picture out on 2 monitors easily
    Hehehe. I built the system so that I won't have to upgrade anything to install Windows Vista on it when it comes out.

Although SLI doesn't support dual monitors, I'm going to eventually buy something like one of these PCI-E 1x cards... I'll enable SLI mode for the widescreen monitor and use the PCI-E 1x card to drive the other.

These are my current system specs:

Dual Core Athlon X2 4800+ Processor
    Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe Motherboard
    3 Gb Corsair PC3200 RAM (2x 1Gb + 2x 512Mb)
    2x eVGA GeForce 7900 GT cards
    2x Western Digital WD2500KS 250 Gb hard drives with 16Mb caches (RAID-0)
    2x Samsung SH-W162L Lightscribe Double Layer DVD+/-RW drives
    Hauppage WinTV-PVR-250MCE Video Capture/TV Tuner card

Crisalys was born on Fri, Mar 29, 18:48:45, 2002, and as of November 6, 2011, 04:11 GMT,

These are my current system specs:

Dual Core Athlon X2 4800+ Processor
    Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe Motherboard
    3 Gb Corsair PC3200 RAM (2x 1Gb + 2x 512Mb)
    2x eVGA GeForce 7900 GT cards
    2x Western Digital WD2500KS 250 Gb hard drives with 16Mb caches (RAID-0)
    2x Samsung SH-W162L Lightscribe Double Layer DVD+/-RW drives
    Hauppage WinTV-PVR-250MCE Video Capture/TV Tuner card
    Somewhat reminiscient of my own, I was wondering if you know where the option to set RAM divider is located in the BIOS, I haven't been able to find it and it's annoying that I can't OC my CPU more than 385mhz without my RAM slowing to a crawl (bios 1205)
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

If I recall correctly Athlon processors use multiple clocks (allowing RAM and processor speeds to be adjusted independently) while Intel chips rely on one clock (necessitating dividers for the RAM and PCI Bus).

My BIOS version is 1103 (it's been stable and I haven't tried to overclock- I don't want to fry a $600 processor on my budget), but where I found it in my settings was:

Advanced > CPU Configuration > Memory Setting (bottom of the page) > Memory Configuration > Memclock Mode (Change this from "Auto" to "Limit")

This will make a new setting available: Memclock Value (default setting on my system was 100 MHz) with the following values available: 100, 133, 166, 183, 200, 216, 233 and 250 MHz.

I think that means you can limit the RAM's speed regardless of your processor's OC'ed speed... Might that be what you're looking for?
    Last edited by Crisalys; Jul 19th, 2006 at 22:20:02.

Heh, I would like to see the ability to drag all the sub windows out of the main window and onto the desktop of the second monitor.

I whole heartedly second this.. make the all the windows for the GUI independant of the 3D game window... shouldnt be all THAT hard since the GUI is XML based. just use some sort of integrated mini-browser or something that reads only the XML GUI files or a fully fledged browser that can also be used to surf the web for guides so you dont have to open a separate app and thus take up more system resources that AO could use.
    vote for or suggest more ideas on an in-game scripting tool here:
    http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...90#post4016590

This will make a new setting available: Memclock Value (default setting on my system was 100 MHz) with the following values available: 100, 133, 166, 183, 200, 216, 233 and 250 MHz.

I think that means you can limit the RAM's speed regardless of your processor's OC'ed speed... Might that be what you're looking for?
    Yes, but I can't select the 183 setting h8... oh well, next bios is out soon anyway. You should update your BIOS tho it adds a couple options and fixes some mistakes and upgrades microcode
    The Red Brotherhood

As far as I'm aware AO is single threaded app, any chance that this can be change? I'm just sick of seeing mt CPU working its little hart off at 50%

I've just bought a second monitor for my setup and going to run it off one nVidia 7800GT, I've had dual monitor in the past and noticed that I can drag AO half way accross the two and only half the screen work, the one thats on the secondary monitor stops like its a screenshot, drag it back over and it all works again. Is that what this update is going to "fix"?

and just wondering but what kind of FPS do u get ingame with these setups never drempt of to be played AO on?

Darwin Fence FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by Ashumuto
    As far as I'm aware AO is single threaded app, any chance that this can be change?
    Anarchy is not single threaded, but each thread has a different purpose, and some are more busy than others (rendering, for example, is eating CPU).

And no, we're not planning to make any changes to the threading model. The horror...

Quote Originally Posted by Enno Rehling
    Anarchy is not single threaded, but each thread has a different purpose, and some are more busy than others (rendering, for example, is eating CPU).

And no, we're not planning to make any changes to the threading model. The horror...
    How about a rendering engine update then? sounds like that is where the bottleneck is, its a shame that anarchy dosnt seem to make use of our gpu's for rendering, would run a hell of a lot better if it did

on multi monitor, im sure i used to be able to run anarchy on a multi monitor setup
    in window mode a while ago, but now when i try it wont even start up, did something get changed to stop it?

also what is the max resolution anarchy will support? my monitor is 3840*1024 and i can select this resolution in the launcher, but anarchy wont start up
    Lordplayer: Lets just put it down to people being completely retarded carrying on the "reply nerf to any keeper topic" mentality of years gone by.

Cergorn 220/30/70 Atrox Keeper
    Yamura 220/30/70 Soli Crat

Quote Originally Posted by Cergorn
    also what is the max resolution anarchy will support? my monitor is 3840*1024 and i can select this resolution in the launcher, but anarchy wont start up
    I've seen 2548x1536 played...
    The Red Brotherhood

Its All About The Phats.
    Ive some oddities with multimonitors too...

Running 2 monitors, both of Digital connections, of a 6800Ultra.

Desktop set at 2 monitors, 1280x1024 each, horizontal.

2560x1024 wont work, even though its a launcher selected screensize, wont work in fullsize or window mode.

Normal resolutions will work, even on the widescreen desktop. I have had 2 copies of ao running on the 1 machine, window mode, 1 1280x1024 window on each monitor
    Ive even managed to get 1 1280x1024 fullscreen window stretched across both monitors.. that was weird 0.o

Ive had 2048x768 running fine fullscreen though. Was interesting on 2 monitors as the center of the screen becomes the gap between the two monitors 0.o Couldnt get on with it with my toon always being split in 2. Wtb 3 monitors and an extra output

Ive also had full screen AO on 1 monitor, and my windows desktop on the other, but i beleive DX is bugged in this respect - cuz no matter where you click, even if its in the AO fullscreen monitor - the windows desktop automatically takes focus and minimizes AO.

Interesting stuff, really lookin forward to something that works a little better
    Last edited by Tsun; Aug 14th, 2006 at 16:04:13.
    Acetsuntura (220]/21/70) - Adventurer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast