Thread: Best PVM shotgun at 150?

Best PVM shotgun at 150?

Hey so I'm in a bit of a pickle. I twinked a 150 doc recently for gens with the org, and I picked Maw (big mistake) for my weapon. So I'm asking, is there any alternative?

Cause I don't feel like retwinking something I didn't have much interest in in the first place :P
    Dagger 220/30/70 Shade // Attempted 219/24/?? Enforcer // Canidae 180/0/0 Adventurer // World 185/26/32 Meta-Physicist// Cramp 150/20/35 Engineer
    Ya wanna fix something - give RK mobs better xp, make RK matter again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mamman View Post
    Give shades love or we will stop buffing people!!

Vector ND and get a little more Psychic for your ND ticks, and don't forget to get TTS+MoP to make the most of it.

220s "Wakizaka", "Sneakygank", "Wakimango", "Wakisolja", "Tardersauce", "Bushwaki", "Midgetgank", "Bugfixxx", "Ramsbottom", "Paskadoc"
    200s Chrisd, Malema, Delbaeth
    TL5s Youfail, Bugfixx, Riothamus, Johndee

Proud President of Haven | TL5 PvP

Quote Originally Posted by Wakizaka View Post
    Vector ND and get a little more Psychic for your ND ticks, and don't forget to get TTS+MoP to make the most of it.
    Makes my 670 fling feel like a waste But I'll look into it, thank you.
    Dagger 220/30/70 Shade // Attempted 219/24/?? Enforcer // Canidae 180/0/0 Adventurer // World 185/26/32 Meta-Physicist// Cramp 150/20/35 Engineer

I assume you're fighting full agg?

In which case you might be able to get away with a scope... and if you play with 2 igocs, and maybe swap boots for goddess boots you can get a decent crit rating - which opens up some nice options.

Take, for example a Waltzing queen: Pretty weak normal hits but with say, 22% crit (4% igocs, 1% boots, 7% mop, 10% scope) you can do 3-4k hits with a crit with this thing.

http://auno.org/ao/db.php?id=124284

the main problem imo with shotguns is to get one with high enough min damage that actually provides you with reasonable steady damage without ridiculous skills. i.e. a kyr'ozch shotty really has a bad damage range for aliens at the skill levels you can likely achieve:

kyr'zoch type 1 level 100 (676 skill)
    http://auno.org/ao/db.php?id=254586

kyr'ozch type 1 level 199 (1329 skill)
    http://auno.org/ao/db.php?id=254587

then you got 1 handed shotties like the QL 200 tranquil home defender, which imo has a very reasonable damage range, especially for aliens, with a pretty mean crit:

http://auno.org/ao/db.php?id=124240

Note that it has no specials though - AND you'll need to figure out how much MR you have available, assuming you probably don't want to twink a lot, say maybe only swap perks/armour to 225 supple set equip and swap back, lets say you only have 450ish MR available:

You could try something like a lower QL uncle Bazzit diplomatic:

http://auno.org/ao/db.php?id=206672 (QL 200 requires 1100 MR)

The problem with pure shotguns is nearly anything with a decent damage range has a high attack time meaning your fling recharge will be pretty crappy.

As I was going through the database I saw a few shotgun/pistol splits that have a reasonably fast/fast attack time such as the pistol missile raid:

http://auno.org/ao/db.php?id=123456 (0.5s)

which would also work well with the crit setup, or the

Ithaca obviously:

http://auno.org/ao/db.php?id=124327 (1s)

again needing the crit setup

So you really only got a few choices here: basically all of them involve a crit setup, and playing full agg to make any kind of meaningful damage.

My preference would probably be the waltzing queen. I know a guy who used it and he can make 5k crits with it. it's sort of a novelty, because damage is so intensely variable but a few crits in a row and you're just busting a gut because HP drops so fast.

If you want steady damage the only options are kyr'ozch, Silverback or uncle bazzit diplomatic+something in your other hand that won't break your brain (maybe a CDR? ugh though)...

The only thing I can say is be careful with regards to your crit damage on S10 gens. I have a 150 keeper with a full crit setup, and I find generally that Rho gen's have very high crit resist and the only reason you get any crits is because of AR/defence ratios. (A mate once brought his keeper with approximately the same AR, but about 16% less static crit and he nearly OD'd me.)

Quote Originally Posted by McKnuckleSamwich View Post
    Take, for example a Waltzing queen: Pretty weak normal hits but with say, 22% crit (4% igocs, 1% boots, 7% mop, 10% scope) you can do 3-4k hits with a crit with this thing.

http://auno.org/ao/db.php?id=124284
    Hm, why not Raid pistol instead at this point if one were to consider an extreme crit setup?

http://auno.org/ao/db.php?id=123456

Ithaca obviously:

http://auno.org/ao/db.php?id=124327 (1s)

again needing the crit setup
    About the ithy. If I were to slap on a scope and 2 igocs (and max AS) would that be enough for some pvp as well? I wouldn't know since I've never used the weapon, if the answer is no I might just opt for the raid pistol setup.

The only thing I can say is be careful with regards to your crit damage on S10 gens. I have a 150 keeper with a full crit setup, and I find generally that Rho gen's have very high crit resist and the only reason you get any crits is because of AR/defence ratios. (A mate once brought his keeper with approximately the same AR, but about 16% less static crit and he nearly OD'd me.)
    I am told by quite a few people that the High AR vs. low Def bonus crit thing is not active on ranged weapons, so i would then assume that a high crit ranged setup would be a waste on Rho.
    Last edited by Notcrattey; Today at 05:51:45. Reason: Didn't actually edit it, was a mistake!

Quote Originally Posted by Notcrattey View Post
    About the ithy. If I were to slap on a scope and 2 igocs (and max AS) would that be enough for some pvp as well? I wouldn't know since I've never used the weapon, if the answer is no I might just opt for the raid pistol setup.
    It's a good support weapon in mass PvP to toss an AS every now and then.

220s "Wakizaka", "Sneakygank", "Wakimango", "Wakisolja", "Tardersauce", "Bushwaki", "Midgetgank", "Bugfixxx", "Ramsbottom", "Paskadoc"

Quote Originally Posted by Wakizaka View Post
    It's a good support weapon in mass PvP to toss an AS every now and then.
    But even without AS being imped at all? And no armor containing it?

Yeah, it's still usable. Think it's at 17s cycle time with TTS which isn't stellar, but does add something extra.

Quote Originally Posted by Notcrattey View Post
    Hm, why not Raid pistol instead at this point if one were to consider an extreme crit setup?

http://auno.org/ao/db.php?id=123456

I listed the missile raid pistol as well, but I wasn't sure how much MR you had (and IP available).

I assumed since you were using Maw of the abyss that you wouldn't have IP'd/implanted MR as well.

If you have enough MR, missile raids probably going to be better than a waltzing queen, since you'll proc a lot more and add damage will start to make a more meaningful difference due to having about 16 more hits per minute (assuming you can even get to 1/1 on the waltzing queen).

If you have the MR I'd definitely give the missile raids a go. Just hunt around for a 10-15% scope. I find once you get past 13% the init debuff start becoming enough to put a hamper on your damage/survival (at least on keeper where ideally you play at full or close to full def).

I listed the missile raid pistol as well, but I wasn't sure how much MR you had (and IP available).

I assumed since you were using Maw of the abyss that you wouldn't have IP'd/implanted MR as well.

If you have enough MR, missile raids probably going to be better than a waltzing queen, since you'll proc a lot more and add damage will start to make a more meaningful difference due to having about 16 more hits per minute (assuming you can even get to 1/1 on the waltzing queen).

If you have the MR I'd definitely give the missile raids a go. Just hunt around for a 10-15% scope. I find once you get past 13% the init debuff start becoming enough to put a hamper on your damage/survival (at least on keeper where ideally you play at full or close to full def).
    I'm pretty sure as a single weapon (since I will NOT be 1/1ing the Queen) the raid pistol beats it. I mean you have an easy 1/1 with an auto 6 second fling, which is essentially an extra 10 AAs per min.

Seems the logical choice.

MA's do well with the missile raids too, obviously have a lot more crit support but even with some chem arul sabas, Dchest and 2 chem rings (which will also add poison damage for perk damage) you'll end up with some fairly reasonable damage rolling in without crits just based on the weapon speed.

I actually wanted to try this with an agent and since I'm levelling one right now I might give it a shot.

With waves/ numbing shock or whatever plus crit proc and natural crit in armour choices it could be alright DPS.

I actually wanted to try this with an agent and since I'm levelling one right now I might give it a shot.
    I tried it at 150, i had pretty crap gear (with an 11% crit scope, i think) and was quite unsurprisingly really crap, i think IP will be an issue, MR and two attack skills will conflict with all those "oh i can just about cast this nano!". It looks great on paper tho, all the add damage of an agent with the dual procs and high crit but it takes better gear than i had and some patience.
    Last edited by Notcrattey; Today at 05:51:45. Reason: Didn't actually edit it, was a mistake!