Thread: New Player | Questions

New Player | Questions

Hi there.

I've played AO a few times in the past. I enjoyed them while they lasted (my account is from '05 when I first tried it). I'm back, purchased all the expansions, and am ready to play again.

I would like to know a few things, if I may:

I love PvP. Can I do this early on in PvP related zones?

What rules are associated with PvP? Loss of XP, loot, or anything upon death? Rewards?

Is there a full-PvP server?

If not, which server has an active PvP base?

Thanks!

Hi,
    Unfortunatelly you may not like the answers ...

I would like to know a few things, if I may:

I love PvP. Can I do this early on in PvP related zones?
    Yes you can start as low as level 10-15 but you would need quite a lot of credits and knowledge to make good twink and population / pvp activity is very low now.

What rules are associated with PvP? Loss of XP, loot, or anything upon death? Rewards?
    no real penalty for deth in pvp: you do not lose XP (only unsaved XP from last level goes to XP pool which can be regained), no way to lose loot, the only penalty (above level 20) is rez sickness (your skills are lowered for about 5 min after you died), rewards - only pvp rank (based on number of your kills) and on some pvp missions and battle stations you get Victory Points which you can use to purchase some nice items in special shop.

Is there a full-PvP server? LoL there is only one server which become more and more empty after implementaton of more and more stupid changes by incompetent FC employes...

If not, which server has an active PvP base? look above ...
    Awikun 220/70/30 Ranged adv - my Main that I hardly ever log
    Awisha 220/70/30 Shade - Can solo 95% of all bosses
    Cratawi 200/70/30 Crat - S7/DR Solo farmer
    Awiken 220/70/30 Eng - Pvm Eng
    Nukiwa 200/70/30 NT - almost forgotten (awaiting retwink)
    Awidoc 200/70/30 Doc - 200 fun pvp twink
    Awix 200/70/30 Fix - 200 fun pvp twink
    Awienf 220/70/30 Enf - tanked every single boss (and still lives)
    Soldawi 220/70/30 Sol - Pvm Sold
    Awima 150/xx/xx Ma - best S10 MA farmer
    Doctorawi 220/70/30 - Pvm Doc
    Awienfo 200/70/30 - Atrox with Pande red belt and 2xQL300 hammers
    Macierewicz 220/70/30 - Pvm Crat
    Zlakobieta 220/70/30 - max complit +top tradeskiller

Interesting observations; thanks for the honest feedback.

What are some of the 'stupid changes'?

How active is the AO community in general?

The AO community is still kicking, but the activity is lower than it has been in the past. There was a recent bug fix/nerf to the Nano-Technician profession which has (understandably) angered many players, but that may or may not be what Awikun was referring to.

I find that the population is a little sparser in the early and mid levels but above tl6 it gets better.

The NT nerf was needed and long overdue.
    Cronosingh - 220 Engineer
    Cronomedius - 220 Doctor
    Melgaroth - 220 Bureaucrat
    Cronoshaed - 2** Shade

The recent "stupid nerf" I was refering to was change of Battle Station Daily missions.

Before you could do it 3 times a day and get 3 big XP rewards/day.
    After you can only do it once a day...

Side effect is BS hardly ever starts ... (as ppl do not sign up for it)
    Awikun 220/70/30 Ranged adv - my Main that I hardly ever log
    Awisha 220/70/30 Shade - Can solo 95% of all bosses
    Cratawi 200/70/30 Crat - S7/DR Solo farmer
    Awiken 220/70/30 Eng - Pvm Eng
    Nukiwa 200/70/30 NT - almost forgotten (awaiting retwink)
    Awidoc 200/70/30 Doc - 200 fun pvp twink
    Awix 200/70/30 Fix - 200 fun pvp twink
    Awienf 220/70/30 Enf - tanked every single boss (and still lives)
    Soldawi 220/70/30 Sol - Pvm Sold
    Awima 150/xx/xx Ma - best S10 MA farmer
    Doctorawi 220/70/30 - Pvm Doc
    Awienfo 200/70/30 - Atrox with Pande red belt and 2xQL300 hammers
    Macierewicz 220/70/30 - Pvm Crat
    Zlakobieta 220/70/30 - max complit +top tradeskiller

You'll start being able to get a fair amount of PvP at level 101, but you'll at the same time get level 150's straight into your face. Which even if you are a godly PvPer with a godly twink will be almost impossible to handle. But if you do your daily in there you'll at least get a feel for what you're up against once you're 150 on your character.

After that you can just gear up and gain some experience on how AO PvP works
    General of Horizon. Member of Unity. Frequent visitor of Free Spirits and The Last Element.

Nave [ 220 Solitus Fixer ] Qien [ 220 Solitus Engineer ] Navezero [ 200 Solitus Soldier ]
    Rafeg
    [ 150 Opifex Agent ] Midriff [ 60 Atrox Soldier ] Lowriff [ 30 Atrox Keeper ]

Also: Giant horde of alts.

From what i can see this thread is really disencouraging in the way it is handled by those of you, who have been playing this game for years and have seen what is going on for very long time.

As marlevvll has stated he has purchased the game now including all expansions and it would be nice to give him an idea of what will await him whilst not leaving all your (personal) disappointment about how FC is working with AO in here - because one thing that really doesent help population is to disencourage new players in this way.

So from my experience - and i do play AO since 2004 too - this game is still possible to enjoy and have a ****load of fun but you will need some nice friends and an active org to make this happen.

For you marlevvll - id suggest to level up a toon first of all until maybe around 130 - 150 since that is a very active lvl-range. You will need to get a hang of how the game works, you will need friends that show you around and help you to get started.
    Try to choose a profession, that you think will be fun - there is loads of discussion in this forum section where people advise what class could be good for a start.
    Once you get to 150 there are ways to make a lot of credits - and you can make your toon viable for pvp to have a start.
    As of how AO works you need a ton of cash to make low characters good at pvp since there are ways to equip them with very strong items at low levels resulting in beeing very strong versus you when you just in leveling gear.

Once you have made it to 150 and gained some cash you can decide on either going on to 220 or take your cash and make new toons and low lvl pvp.

Zix
    SPARTANS
    We bow down before no man.
    Recruiting Thread | Website

Quote Originally Posted by marlevvll View Post
    Hi there.
    Is there a full-PvP server?

If not, which server has an active PvP base?
    )))) what to say to this..
    Quote Originally Posted by Vgman01 View Post
    With a kite team you generaly pay for your lvls. Imo this makes it ok..
    Pocket teaming is fine to because (most of the time) players actualy step up and kill the hecklers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hvyshadows View Post
    OST is actually a good thing. In many Ely heck teams where there is a pocket the rest of the team sits around and chats every once in awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Metafizis View Post
    )))) what to say to this..
    Try making a useful post occasionally.

OT; We only have one server in AO now.
    One profession to RoO them all, one profession to proc stun them, one profession to calm them all and in the darkness Exp perk them!

Crataiken 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution - 3rd AI 30 'Crat on RK 1 Setup
    Calms 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution
    Medicaiken 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution Setup
    Newen 220/30/70 President - The Galactic Milieu
    Mettagirl 220/20/** General - Primal Evolution
    Krataiken 150/18/40 General - Primal Evolution Setup

Quote Originally Posted by Aiken View Post
    Try making a useful post occasionally.

OT; We only have one server in AO now.
    Well if he resubbed there is only one server to log into anyway..

As for PvP you know where that went.
    With a kite team you generaly pay for your lvls. Imo this makes it ok..
    Pocket teaming is fine to because (most of the time) players actualy step up and kill the hecklers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hvyshadows View Post
    OST is actually a good thing. In many Ely heck teams where there is a pocket the rest of the team sits around and chats every once in awhile.