Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Friday with(out) Means: July 23rd, 2010 - Insert Creative Subtitle Here

Quote Originally Posted by Joehoo725 View Post
    See, when I read his statement, I thought he meant projects like re-balancing, graphics update, etc. etc. Quite sure he didn't mean other games .
    So if rebalancing, new content and new engine, the exact things people are always wanting, are the things they shouldn't start, then what exactly is it they're supposed ot be working on? Other games and disregard AO?
    Since you have a team of several people with different expertise, something that people seem to disregard every single time this same old discussion comes up, you HAVE to work on multiple things at a time. You have to have the content designers working on new content, you have to have the gameplay designers who're doubling for content designers, work on rebalancing and new items, you have to have the coder working on integrating the new ideas the designers come up with and you have to have the artists working on all the other things at the same time. If you don't, you're treading water with half the team standing still, because it's simply not possible to have so many people working on every single small task. This is basic team management.
    Last edited by Mastablasta; Jul 27th, 2010 at 19:36:18.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Quote Originally Posted by Joehoo725 View Post
    See, when I read his statement, I thought he meant projects like re-balancing, graphics update, etc. etc. Quite sure he didn't mean other games .
    Correct.

I'm sure we'd all like rebalancing, graphics, new playfields, etc.

But, with a team as small as that, it's going to take a very, very long time.

So, why not do one thing at a time and release a deadline that you KNOW you can meet because your only working on one project at a time? If AO's team were bigger, i'd be gung ho fr them working multiple AO projects at the same time. But it's not, therefore i'm not.

FC, please stop releasing deadlines that you know your unable to meet. It causes false hope and then once the deadlines arent met, YOU are met with dissapointment and frustration.
    Atlantean
    ------------------
    Postmuerta - 210/10 Solitus Soldier

Kamaytayan - 220/17 Solitus Fixer

Quote Originally Posted by Kamathefixer View Post
    Correct.

So, why not do one thing at a time and release a deadline that you KNOW you can meet because your only working on one project at a time? If AO's team were bigger, i'd be gung ho fr them working multiple AO projects at the same time. But it's not, therefore i'm not.

FC, please stop releasing deadlines that you know your unable to meet. It causes false hope and then once the deadlines arent met, YOU are met with dissapointment and frustration.
    cause not all projects require the services of everyone in the team.

Level 1 to 300 in 8 Years! Pwn!
    - Join us on Discord! -
    AO WIKI!
    Arcanum!

Correct.

Read my above reply.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta View Post
    Read my above reply.
    Well then it looks like they need a bigger team.

Bottom line though, they really need to stop posting deadlines if they feel they cannot meet them. Like Tradejill said, i'd rather be uninformed than misinformed.

I'd rather just have a surprise patch note come out and think "oh **** thats gonna be sick", knowing its coming out in a week. Rather than "oh **** that's gonna be sick..*1 month later* ok..still waiting...*2 months later* wtf?"
    Atlantean
    ------------------

Well then it looks like they need a bigger team.

Bottom line though, they really need to stop posting deadlines if they feel they cannot meet them. Like Tradejill said, i'd rather be uninformed than misinformed.

I'd rather just have a surprise patch note come out and think "oh **** thats gonna be sick", knowing its coming out in a week. Rather than "oh **** that's gonna be sick..*1 month later* ok..still waiting...*2 months later* wtf?"
    You don't have to read FwM then, some of us would like to know what's planned for the future and are quite capable of enjoying the game while looking forward to future improvements.

No one is forcing you to become informed, if you wish to remain uninformed, then don't read FwM. In the mean time try not to spoil access to information that others would like to receive. Thanks.
    Ebondevil - Omni Level 220 Agent on Atlantean, Feel free to contact me any time if you have questions, in game or out.
    Varinox - Omni Level 220 Meta-Physicist on Atlantean
    Yamarra - Omni Level 150 Shade on Atlantean

Feel free to send me any tell in game or a Private Message if you require anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Ebondevil View Post
    You don't have to read FwM then, some of us would like to know what's planned for the future and are quite capable of enjoying the game while looking forward to future improvements.

No one is forcing you to become informed, if you wish to remain uninformed, then don't read FwM. In the mean time try not to spoil access to information that others would like to receive. Thanks.
    If you wish to have your hopes up for things that are going to miss deadline after deadline after deadline, be my guest.

A few months down the road, I more than likely won't be around to give you a "I told you so."
    Atlantean
    ------------------

A few months down the road, I more than likely won't be around to give you a "I told you so."
    A few months down the road I'll still be here enjoying the game regardless of whether proposed improvements have been put in or not.

However, one thing people do seem to be forgetting is that Means & Co. announced the daily mission system and while it's not perfect it has been implemented, but of course no one seems to give them credit for that.

Also I don't think of them as Deadlines, I think of them as proposed Targets they'd like to meet if they can.
    Ebondevil - Omni Level 220 Agent on Atlantean, Feel free to contact me any time if you have questions, in game or out.

Feel free to send me any tell in game or a Private Message if you require anything.

A few months down the road I'll still be here enjoying the game regardless of whether proposed improvements have been put in or not.
    Exactly how I feel. Things have been progressing steadily IMO, and the game is constantly improving(lock equipment, post service, instanced cities, new instances, dailies(!!!) etc.). Not like things have been standing still
    Last edited by Junttius; Jul 28th, 2010 at 03:15:47. Reason: forgot dailies

Quote Originally Posted by Junttius View Post
    post service
    In all honesty how many times do you think people have used this? Is it really that hard to travel to someone with the game's travelling system?

new instances
    That nobody does anymore

dailies
    That are still buggy and left unfinished
    Atlantean
    ------------------

In all honesty how many times do you think people have used this? Is it really that hard to travel to someone with the game's travelling system?
    I use it almost daily, if not multiple times a day. I really really like it. For instance if i need money xfered to an alt and im not on rk, its less of a hassle to post the money than to run to a lowbie alt toon or something like that. Since im too lazy for constant dual logging

That nobody does anymore
    I do DR on every toon I level to 150+ atleast the solo quest if not more. And it helps the new players more than those who have a big org backing their levelling. And collector still seems to entertain people

Well im sure especially new players appreciate them atleast being around, even tho still containing bugs.
    Last edited by Junttius; Jul 28th, 2010 at 03:35:10.

I Don't think they'll ever be finished, the system makes it easy enough for the Dev's to add more over time and increase the number fairly easily. Adding more variety and content.

All in all though it sounds to me like you're trying to find reasons to hate the game.

I Don't think they'll ever be finished, the system makes it easy enough for the Dev's to add more over time and increase the number fairly easily. Adding more variety and content.

All in all though it sounds to me like you're trying to find reasons to hate the game.
    I don't need to find them when they're so out in the open.

I just don't see the point in releasing content when it's not A+ material.

If you pay someone to detail your car, and you get it back with crumbs and what not still in the carpet, windows still spotty, etc. Would you be pleased with it?
    Atlantean
    ------------------

As Ebond said, Daily missions are designed to be modular; to never be done because Funcom can just add more in.

You may as well complain that the entire game isn't done because they keep adding stuff... but then so does every single MMO ever created. It's kinda the point of them.
    Enter the Information Age
    Proc Descriptions

Hunt, and be hunted: The Hunting Grounds | Alien Tower Field :Aliens, that really invade!
    Pet argo management: Servants Protection | Expand the Notum Silo :Make it worthwhile

Rimor
    Tesgri - 220|17|58 (Omni Agent)
    Leara - 220|25|62 (Omni Doctor)
    Ponygirl - 220|25|56 (Omni Bureaucrat)
    Means: "We have done way dumber things than this..."

Quote Originally Posted by Ayria View Post
    As Ebond said, Daily missions are designed to be modular; to never be done because Funcom can just add more in.

You may as well complain that the entire game isn't done because they keep adding stuff... but then so does every single MMO ever created. It's kinda the point of them.
    I'm not talking about creating new daily missions, im talking about the ones currently on live. Of course an mmo is never done, as you said, that's the point of an mmo.

But what I AM talking about, is releasing rushed content.

I understand that they are under heavy pressure atm due to the playerbase asking for more and more and more.

But what they need to realize, is that releasing rushed content only frustrates the customers more.
    Atlantean
    ------------------

I don't need to find them when they're so out in the open.

I just don't see the point in releasing content when it's not A+ material.

If you pay someone to detail your car, and you get it back with crumbs and what not still in the carpet, windows still spotty, etc. Would you be pleased with it?
    games arent NASA missions to the moon. they, along with most all consumer-level software will never really be "A+". unlike cleaning a car, theres just too many variables and ways to go wrong. (tho we were due for a bad car analogy, thanks for providing it!)

besides the fact with content, thats a horribly subjective thing. what you may enjoy and think is great, theres people who will utterly hate it and think its useless.

oh wait.. thats whats going on in this thread already.

Level 1 to 300 in 8 Years! Pwn!
    - Join us on Discord! -
    AO WIKI!
    Arcanum!

I'm loving the daily missions. When leveling my doc, they were a great source of tokens, research, XP/SK, VP and got me moving forward when it was hard to find teams. Some of the missions needed a bit of tweaking but FC got around to fixing those things very quickly. Getting more missions in the future will mean more variety, which is good. Daily missions for me was clearly one of those updates to the game that made it much more enjoyable.

My doc is 220 now and got 5000 tokens and I didn't have to grind token guns to get it. I always hated rolling alts because I knew I would have to farm tokens but now that is a natural part of my daily shenanigans. As it should be.
    Veteran of Equilibrium

Daily Missions are fine, the ones that are on live need some tweaking of course, some are easy, some are hard but they all give same rewards etc.

And we need more missions, it´s no fun to get the same mission 3-4 times in a row, i think more missions could solve this, if you would have like 10 missions for each range and get another one every day for about a week you wouldn´t mind too much doing a mission you alrdy have done a week before.

And i would like (i know WHY funcom didn´t put this in) that you get the ability too choose 1 of 2 or maybe 3 missions every day, to avoid missions you really dislike, but given this there should be less reward if you do the same mission in a row (because everyone would of course pick the easy short ones).

But to come back to the deadline, you wanted a deadline for Engine that can be hold, well Engine Started 2007, if they had said "hm early 2011" all who are waiting for engine would have quit then and waited in other games till ao engine hits live, but with always saying "soon" or yeah we can hold December 2009 (this was what they said after switching from ogre to Dreamworld), Funcom always gives deadlines in the not too distant future or some odd "soon" things, to keep the players here, if you always think ah well it´s not here yet but i have paid till october and engine should come in november, so there is no reason to close down my subscription, Funcom will get more money.

Or maybe Means believes what he says every tame when he gives us a date and then some strange things happen so they can´t hold it, this could be true too but i don´t know.

so if the devs doesnt meet their target dates they suck and are liars and all that.
    but if they do meet their target dates it's rushed content?

personally i'd rather have content with a bunsh of bugs in it then having to wait another month or whatever for them to iron out the smaller bugs.

another up of releasing stuff a little early is that it makes for some entertaining bugs at times

Greetings,

Ellarisa
    Darkellarisa 220/30/70 Engineer equipment pvp // Alien Deaths: 353
    Crazyella 220/30/70 MP equipment // Alien Deaths: 90
    Stabbingella 220/28/67 Shade equipment // Alien Deaths: 45
    Farming alien deaths since 2006!

Quote Originally Posted by Solidstriker View Post
    And Ella said, "Let there be robots," and there were robots. Ella saw that the robots were good, and he separated the light from the dark. Ella called the light "Slayerdroids," and the dark he called "Gladiatorbots." And there was Automations, and there was Warmachines- the second day.

That nobody does anymore

I use the mailsystem both for selling items from forums, for sending stuff to my alts, for sending stuff to orgmates, and for various fun things. So, quite often. If it wasn't something people wanted, it wouldn't have been implemented.

New instance was done at some point and people are continually doing them. What about all the content the game has that noone does anymore? The big bad bosses from old times are no longer done regularly and you'd be hard pressed not to find the pest or supply master Eel up and noone's doing mercs regularly. So because content drops out of the powergrinding group at some point, you shouldn't make it?

Daily missions are mostly functional. I haven't noticed any bugs that urined anything.

But as for your comment on why you don't release only completely polished content, then it's for one very hard to get all this tested through thoroughly when you don't have a huge testing department available to go through it all. Secondly, it's business. Publishing new content regularly and then fixing it up down the road generally keeps people more interested than one content upgrade a year.
    The Red Brotherhood

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast