Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Assist idea

Lightbulb New Assist idea

Remove the ability to use assist. It will make Tower wars last longer, fight will actually be fun and you might even be able to use your tool set.

The new idea is the following:

Remove current macro /macro Assist /assist «name»

And add a new special ability called «Assist Leader». This will have a 10 second lockout, and will assist the leader of the team when clicked.
    For raids, the Raid Leader will be able to pick who’s the leader of what team.

(Edited): If the leader is not in combat, the assist will not work/lock itself out.

Simple fix.

Discuss!
    Last edited by Animalz; Apr 18th, 2014 at 18:49:02.

Also remove hp bar. Will keep the tension goin'

Again another suggestion to completely Screw over all pvm for a few seconds of tower pvp.

Quote Originally Posted by edmaster3 View Post
    Again another suggestion to completely Screw over all pvm for a few seconds of tower pvp.
    at least multi boxing yeah

How will it screw over PVM, exactly? if anything it would be more interesting.

Kite hill peeps will never understand how to play AO w/o assist, really.
    Assist is totally useless, any action can be successfully and effectively done without it in any game situation, and yea, it ruins tower PvP greatly.
    Since 2005 i've heard millions of screams regarding instant deaths at tower pvp, that happen only because you're called.
    Remove assist and lets get more skilled playerbase at last.
    G.F.B.D.
    --------------------------------------------
    Artyomis has played 800 days 0 hours 0 minutes 0 seconds
    WTB subscription price lowered for eastern europe countries due to current USD/EUR-to-local-currency rates.

Quote Originally Posted by Artyomis View Post
    Kite hill peeps will never understand how to play AO w/o assist, really.
    Assist is totally useless, any action can be successfully and effectively done without it in any game situation, and yea, it ruins tower PvP greatly.
    Since 2005 i've heard millions of screams regarding instant deaths at tower pvp, that happen only because you're called.
    Remove assist and lets get more skilled playerbase at last.
    There we go! well said! hehe

You expect serious tower action to happen again? :>

Do you guys chat with Surovi when you come up with these things ?

Quote Originally Posted by Animalz View Post
    How will it screw over PVM, exactly? if anything it would be more interesting.
    I am guessing you probably never been a doc or a enf in a raid. Especially where everyone does their own thing.

So basically what you are saying is MBers can kill a person every 10 secs? Cause ofc they are in a team.
    While everyone else who click assist to early will get locked out for 10 seconds in raid.
    We live in a beautiful world

Lightbulb

I am guessing you probably never been a doc or a enf in a raid. Especially where everyone does their own thing.

So basically what you are saying is MBers can kill a person every 10 secs? Cause ofc they are in a team.
    While everyone else who click assist to early will get locked out for 10 seconds in raid.
    My main is a 220 doc.
    And as far i have seen, there says nothing about MB in my post.

And have you ever heard of a computer mouse?
    You see its a very cool invention.. not sure you have seen it.. it normally has 2 buttons on it.. and a wheel. Unless you pick a different one of course.
    Those 2 buttons, are able to click things.. when you push a button.. it says "Click" And! AND! hers the amazing part.. you can actually.. TAG things when you click correctly!
    MAGIC!!

Disable assist in tower fields?

Quote Originally Posted by Teeko View Post
    Disable assist in tower fields?
    Would be an idea, but would require some nifty programming for it to disable all macros people made before they enter the field.

Quote Originally Posted by Animalz View Post
    Remove the ability to use assist. It will make Tower wars last longer, fight will actually be fun and you might even be able to use your tool set.

The new idea is the following:

Remove current macro /macro Assist /assist «name»

And add a new special ability called «Assist Leader». This will have a 10 second lockout, and will assist the leader of the team when clicked.
    For raids, the Raid Leader will be able to pick who’s the leader of what team.

Simple fix.

Discuss!

In a vacumn, removing assist would not be an issue. The problem, however, is that it will impact PvM unless currently broken PvM elements are fixed:

1. The HP Bar Bug
    2. The Raid Interface is terrible.. I won't even go into detail because if someone has to ask they won't understand my answer.
    3. That cool option of seeing your target's target.. only half works.
    4. Casting bugs where you have to keep jumping because you're stuck in a casting animation.

I'm sure I could list more if I thought about it but my point is that until PvM works as intended, I don't see any benefit in adding unnecessary complications for the sake of trying to fix PvP. At the end of the day, it won't fix PvP anyway and then you've also, unintentionally pissed off the majority of the playerbase in the process. If it were just a matter of telling people to l2p then I might be supportive of removing assist but even if you know your job and you're good, you still have to battle against game bugs that have been there for many years (referring to 1 and 3) and a raid GUI that was already outdated when they put it in the game.

Now if you want to do the original idea and have it apply only when you're in a pvp zone (appropriate gas suppression) then that's fine with me as it wouldn't impact PvM.
    Last edited by Traderjill; Apr 18th, 2014 at 16:14:00.
    You can find me at:
    Battlenet @ Marilata#1680
    Steam @ http://steamcommunity.com/id/marilata

Jill, I don't see a problem with no assist in PvM, in any aspect tbh.
    Let me explain what I mean...
    To me - PvM is an easy aspect of AO while PvP is a hard one.
    If you make PvM life easy - then it won't lead to making playerbase skilled and experienced in both - thinking and clicking. As a result - PvM playerbase will remain as cannon meat for PvP purposes, which leads to lower overall morale and decreased PvP participation and activity.

If you disable assist - it will force players to "think before click", use faster reflexes to target specific mob or player among the blob, it will make players blob wisely to ease life of healers and other supporters and so on.

Few years ago we had no Raid Interface, as far as no "show target's target" option, and we still managed to do large raids with a number of teams without deaths.

So... Will assist removal kill PvM? No! Will assist removal increase overall skills? Yes!

It's all about easymode here, really.
    G.F.B.D.
    --------------------------------------------
    Artyomis has played 800 days 0 hours 0 minutes 0 seconds
    WTB subscription price lowered for eastern europe countries due to current USD/EUR-to-local-currency rates.

If you make PvM life easy - then it won't lead to making playerbase skilled and experienced in both - thinking and clicking. As a result - PvM playerbase will remain as cannon meat for PvP purposes, which leads to lower overall morale and decreased PvP participation and activity.

If you disable assist - it will force players to "think before click", use faster reflexes to target specific mob or player among the blob, it will make players blob wisely to ease life of healers and other supporters and so on.

Few years ago we had no Raid Interface, as far as no "show target's target" option, and we still managed to do large raids with a number of teams without deaths.

So... Will assist removal kill PvM? No! Will assist removal increase overall skills? Yes!

You're making an assumption in your response that I feel needs to be corrected and honestly, its kinda insulting the way you phrased your entire reply.

1. PvM versus PvP is a choice based on the individual preference of the player. We're all adults here (well most of us), so if someone opts out of PvP I find it ridiculous to assume they do so because they don't know how to target or blob.

2. PvM life is easy in comparison to almost every other game on the market. AO's raids don't present significant challenge compared to some of the more robust boss encounters you see in other games. Removing assist won't make it more challenging.

3. I didn't just list features in my comments, i listed bugs that have been in the game for as long as I've played (2004) and still exist. These bugs, relevant or not, do impact how a doctor (for examples) reacts in a raid. Most of us have learned to just work around the bugs but they're still annoyances that we have to deal with to play the game. I see no point to add more annoyances to an already unideal situation.

4. The concept that disabling assist will somehow force players to 'think before click' is well.. WOW. Was that a serious comment? I mean you actually think that non-PvPers are that dumb? I for one, am not. Just because I don't spend all of my time PvPing doesn't make me an idiot.

5. Yes, I know when the RI was added.. and it was antique and useless the day they put it in.. it is now moreso in comparison to what's been released in the meantime. My point is that the RI and the target's target are tools Funcom added that actually make the PvM experience more annoying because of the half-a**ed way they work. Annoying.. not challenging/difficult... annoying.

6. No, assist will not kill PvM.. it also won't increase overall skills because targeting and such are things you learn otherwise. All it is going to do, for PvM, is add an annoyance. Maybe you have a misguided view that may lead people to more PvP.. but I doubt it.

All of these ridiculous ideas to fix PvP need to not affect PvM... that's the bottomline. Maybe you think PvM is easymode and have no respect for it.. that's fine and within your right but that doesn't justify changing someone else's game experience just because you feel you've made a superior choice. If you want to look at the reason why people don't PvP maybe try looking at almost any thread that mentions PvP and the attitude and tone of the PvPers that post. That is your biggest obstacle in getting sane, respectful adults into PvP. Some people's idea of entertainment doesn't include epeening, insults and trash-talking. There are many many other problems as well but there's no point in going into it because I would imagine or hope you're smart enough to be aware of them.
    Last edited by Traderjill; Apr 18th, 2014 at 17:01:25.
    You can find me at:
    Battlenet @ Marilata#1680
    Steam @ http://steamcommunity.com/id/marilata

Your hired!
    You are now my Explaining manager!
    hehe

While you have have valid points and jill usually does. In an ideal world yes people will learn think before you shoot. You cant really compare the past to now, In the past people did rk missions and dungeons as teams so they already knew what to do from them.
    Now mostly everyone that is left powerlvls to 220 without learning anything, cause that's the way they evolved the game.

So... Will assist removal kill PvM? No but it will cause more frustration! Will assist removal increase overall skills? No, it will just make raids much longer!

Animalz yeah you try clicking the right mob in a pande raid.

PVM is not easy, pvp is easy depending on your profession. It is easy to say PVM is easy after the many years of experience yall gained. Unless you had a friend helping you or a big org at the start I am sure none of you said AO was easy.
    Last edited by edmaster3; Apr 18th, 2014 at 16:52:32. Reason: Traderjill post is right on the mark. He/she is a more articulate writer

So... Will assist removal kill PvM? No but it will cause more frustration!
    Stop being lazy! ;D
    PVM is not easy, pvp is easy depending on your profession. It is easy to say PVM is easy after the many years of experience yall gained. Unless you had a friend helping you or a big org at the start I am sure none of you said AO was easy.
    Mention one "Hard" instance in AO that will make teams wipe if they miss out on anything. Just one.
    PVM is easy, personally i have never found any use for Assist in PVM, at all. I have found it useful in APF 42, but that's it.. you can still easily kill your way into APF 42 without it.

And when it comes to PVP:
    * Removing assist will improve the fun people have, instead of dying almost instantly.
    *You have to make tactics for how to kill the other team
    *Max 5 people can assist the leader, so the other team will have a bigger chance of surviving
    *SKILLED people might actually kill teams 1v3
    *you rely on more things then specials and fastest land able perks.

The only times you can use your full setup, if when one of the raids have wiped and you chance one player and get him down. There is no fun in that.
    You come to fight as a team, as a group.. in tower wars.Currently the fight is over if you kill the caller, that's it.

A thousand times this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast