Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Letter From The Game Director

i don't think it was deception either....

Quote Originally Posted by Silirrion View Post
    There is certainly no deception involved, in terms of the technical issues I think its fair to say that you guys have had as much information as was possible throughout. Anyone who was reading my posts during these issues is basically as well informed as anyone here (in fact some of the team were reading the threads to keep up so as not to bother the technical folk ). I think we are as open and forthcoming with the information relating to this issue as was possible.

As I said in the other threads the intention was to provide the increased exp on all outside playfields, and from what we could tell it did activate and was working. Where the problems arose was in two fold, firstly that it was applied before the other bonus exp was calculated which confused matters slightly and was capped by the exp hard caps (if you are already getting max exp on a kill no amount of bonus will go beyond it).

It's unfortunate that I wasn't able to communicate that clearly before the weekend, and that we had some issues activating it, but there was certainly no evil intent or conspiracy, just a genuine note of thanks for your patience during the recent issues.

In future if we plan to do these things I think we will wait for an update and make a buff or item based solution for awarding bonuses like this, as that will ensure that everyone will be able to benefit without any confusion.
    But i think that some particular points should have been made PRIOR to the actual event. Like more xp only on outdoor mobs, not on instanced areas, specific times when this is turned off and on, like when you post downtime times, etc. This should have all been posted PRIOR to the event so that everyone knew what they were going to get. I would also have waited until you'd have fixed the lag and had several days / weeks of confirmation that most of the issues with the lag were resolved.

I'm not complaing much about this whole deal because the compensation vs the lag ain't a big deal to me...but as always...clear concise communication > less.

Quote Originally Posted by Silirrion View Post

As I said in the other threads the intention was to provide the increased exp on all outside playfields, and from what we could tell it did activate and was working. Where the problems arose was in two fold, firstly that it was applied before the other bonus exp was calculated which confused matters slightly and was capped by the exp hard caps (if you are already getting max exp on a kill no amount of bonus will go beyond it).

It's unfortunate that I wasn't able to communicate that clearly before the weekend, and that we had some issues activating it, but there was certainly no evil intent or conspiracy, just a genuine note of thanks for your patience during the recent issues.
    There you go That was all I was looking for really. Just an explanation as to why it did not appear to the player base to be working.

However, communication is king in this particular arena. Generally, you guys do a pretty good job of keeping us up to speed. It was unfortunate though that it took 4 days after the "event" ended to respond to what some of the player base perceived as impropriety.

But I am not gonna flog you, nor am I gonna turn off my game. I love the AO and will be playing it for a long time to come. So keep up the good work that you are doing with trying to expand the game.
    Linkee 220/21 Omni, Atrox Fixer

The first to not be first at anything....

Just a question :

Was it intended to work on all XP ( ie XP, alien XP, SK, research ) or just plain old regular XP ?

The response over this is an excellent example of why bonus XP should have never been offered up as a "thank you". People get all bent out of shape when a problem arises or it doesn't meet their expectations for whatever reason. Then you have the crowd that wasn't able to play during the time left feeling ripped off even though the bonus is a "bonus" not something they are owed. There is also a group of people that feel that leveling has already been made too easy in recent times and cringe at the thought of hecknoobs coming up even faster.

The same thing happens in every game that does this type of "thank you". You always end up with people that weren't upset over the original problem that are now upset over the compensation You simply can't win. The 3 days credit was already more than most expected, leave it at that please.

frankly,

i don't care about the bonus...but you'd think the communication of:

1) how the bonus will be applied
    2) mobs it excludes (ie only outdoor, etc)
    3) the period of the bonus and when it ends..

would all be announced BEFORE with enough time for people to read the note and make plans accordingly..

as i said before..it's not what you get it's that you're told what you will get in a clear manner...

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456