Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Balancing roots, snares and mezzes

Balancing roots, snares and mezzes

The easy way to figure this out is based on sliding scales with variables of QL (of nano), check (NR, (and level)), duration (minutes:seconds) and effect (root/mezz, and snare -RS+other modifier such as -nano init or -ranged init)

Rooting is to immobilize an opponent:

* this has been used successfully in an offensive context in order to prevent evasion by use of runspeed, and range and synch
    * this has also been used successfully in a defensive manner where, for example a melee prof is rooted just outside of range, where you can wait for a nano recharge to complete or a stim skill to finish recharging

*used rarely in PVM and almost religiously in PVP

Snaring is to slow an opponent:

* nearly always used in a defensive manner to slow the opponent such that you can kite them more effectively, limiting their rate of movement so you can easily get out of range at your discretion
    * used very often against a large raidforce to limit pets from charging, and also in a more sinister manner to snare pets out of range of their owners

* used primarily in PVP, and rarely in PVM

"mezzing" is a way of setting the "state" of a mob to not attacking, or peace:

* simultaneously significantly lowers initiatives such that if target is attacked without a successful break, will greatly inhibit retribution in the form of attacks or nanocasts.

* in PVP, a mezz is a method of taking a person out of a fight, and works well if the person is not the target of the raid. An NT who isn't called, or a support doctor are examples of people who might be mezzed in PVP.

* mezzes are used extensively and nearly religiously (in some circumstances) in PVM and rarely used in PVP.

Who and what are making roots out of balance?

Roots are the generally regarded as the go-to debuff in PVP. Roots, are currently absolutely needed in PVP, but are only very slightly out of balance:

* durations need to be shorter on agent nanos (90s max)
    * durations need to be shorter on NT roots (90s max)
    * roots should inhibit meeping on fixers
    * crat SL small area roots need insta cast (duration is fine)

Who and what are making snares out of balance?

Snares are significantly out of balance, they are currently causing more headaches in PVP, but not significantly adding to either the defensive capability of the caster, or increasing their offense. Nearly, their sole purpose is to hinder pets, however, with such long durations, are more likely the cause of real life frustration with previous developer decisions than with the actual nano:

Fixers spin nanoweb needs a massive nerf, with a much more significant drawback than it currently has.

Fixers, currently enjoy far too many benefits of 2001 Anarchy Online, without the reasonable foreseeable adjustments for current gameplay. Spin nanoweb was created ostensibly for PVM, since fixers really had no way to survive an actual encounter without maintaining significant range, and, as such it was clear that the nano needed to also be an area snare to slow down oncoming opponents.

With the vastness of fixer defence, this nano only serves to highlight the inadequate forethought to maintain checks and balances on class upward mobility in PVP ranks when fixers were provided CiB, multiple hots via procs, not to mention one of the biggest fixer boons - the duel nano/health stim, AND the SWS. Fixers, currently are not in need of maintaining range between them and the RK mobs that spin nanoweb was originally built for.

Spin nanoweb line needs a 90% reduction in duration (from 29 minutes to 3 minutes), needs a % nanopool usage (25%), and on use needs to inhibit meep for the duration of the debuff.

Crat snares (shackles of obedience line) needs a duration nerf from 27minutes to 3 minutes

Agent snares are more balanced, in general due to higher checks and lower durations and lower debuff amounts, but still the duration needs to be reduced to 3 minutes maximum.

Once all of these changes are adapted, then real balance can start, which should include root/snare PERKS for each class that warrants them (primarily agent/NT)

The idea behind this is that perks are much easier to balance, and have a determinable recharge, and, ultimately, if you make a perk root/snare unbreakable, then you can easily govern or throttle the effect.

Similarly, by adding a much more desirable check that isn't inhibited by root/snare resistance, you can make it functional against almost every prof.

Reads more like some kind of anti fixer manifesto than any balance related effort. Fixer is 200 FA and a single gun away from bottom of the barrel (as you know from your (deleted?) reply to the thread in Fixer forum), for all you know they might need those long snares again! As for roots or snares locking out grid nanos, that's just stupid. Unless agent roots include a CH blocker and NT roots lock out triple.
    New Engine - Announced: June 2007 ETA: Soon™ I'm speechless (June 2015)
    Rebalancing - Announced: January 2009 ETA: December 21, 2012 Started! (April 2015)
    New TL7 Pets - Announced: March 2009 ETA: Uh...
    AS Changes - Announced: July 2009 ETA: TBA
    Parry/Riposte - Announced: October 2009 ETA: ??? Did it! (April 2015)
    Perk Changes - Announced: October 2009 ETA: Right after server merge Started! (April 2015)
    Breed Change - Announced: November 2009 ETA: Hell freezing They did it!!! (Oct 2012)
    Beta Server - Announced: January 2010 ETA: Pigs Flying Did it! (Feb 2014)

if spin nanoweb is removed, the duration significantly shortened, the checks increased, and the range limited, the game will be better.

I have a 150 fixer with GA4, and on more than one occasion I've just decided to as annoying as humanly possible, with just that toon I can hound and wear down more than 5 toons at once. I've done it in war, and I've done it in BS. I just run around and anytime I see a toon, I launch it at them. Then, I come back to check on them a minute later and refresh it.

In war, it's even better, even if it doesn't land the first time, with GA4 you got like 8 minutes bare minimum before you're even NEARING death, so you got oodles of time to recast. A few few shots of that and you got the entire opposing side ready for kiting.

I've worn down more than 5 toons at once in war, picking off the easy non twinked ones first, then working my way up to the more difficult ones, always popping a burst or two on soldier first to get them to TMS, then waiting out TMS... the only time I need to worry is if an NT is around or a trader.

At 220, the effect of spin nanoweb is even more pronounced. With it's extraordinary duration, if an opposing side doesn't have a crat, you can easily COMPLETELY disable pet profs far away from the battle and therefore significantly increase your chances to win.

On my 220 fixer, when I multibox engi/crat/fixer it's easymode to significantly slowdown any group. It causes pet profs to be slowed down so much they become ineffective at doing anything else.

its no joke, the nano was BUILT for AO PVM in 2001. It has no place in 2013 AO PVP.

You might have gone overboard with these various drawbacks.

In pvp roots and snares should simply be reduced to something like 30 second duration without the ability to refresh them on the same target for the duration. Same should go for pretty much any debuff in game like stuns, ubt, drains, evade debuffs etc.

I like the idea of roots preventing meeping though.

Edit: as for calms, they don't seem to serve any purpose in pvp in their current condition. What they should do is completely disable a character for a very short duration (5ish seconds?), basically a stun with 100% chance to break on any damage or hostile nano.
    Last edited by Pafpuf; Nov 20th, 2013 at 15:57:47.

Aaahhhh, people SO representative of the playerbase trying to explain things...

Reminds me of maths teachers so high in their farts they can't even teach a kid 2+2=4.

GA4 150 fixer, multiboxer, REALLY ?

I've just used web extensively in 250s and 6 times Basic Pant quest, GA3 150 fix (bleh, how common, don't talk to my kind) and 220 fix, I would say it was soooo comfortable to avoid those 3 ACE sharpshooters when the 250 crat rooted me and the enfo was tearing my opi ass to pieces cause I lagged on a door opening. But, hey, I didn't even told you of my Inf drakes farming sessions !!!! Wanna hear how nice it is to know those adds won't chew me cause I rooted them for a long time ? Sure I could multibox a doc/crat/enfo but...

You don't even have a clue of what AO is man, 2013 or 2001, unless you're playing on a private server with your 10 alike "PVPers".

As of being a selfish egocentrist, you just could have said "I propose those changes IN PVP", but oh no, because who PVMs nowadays lol ? But I suppose your Eballs were so pushing you into writing crap your brain couldn't even start with JUST that.

A pain those forums are dead already and we got to read THAT...

Oh and... fixers DON'T have CiB, thx.
    220/70/30 OpiFix - Useless PVM Ex RK Queen
    220/80/30 TroxDoc - Alpha Brain @soon !
    220/80/30 SoliEngi - TSing everything
    220/70/30 SoliTrader - MA >>>> Shottie
    220/80/30 Crat - Why the hell do other profs still exist ?

And tons of alts !

I gave up - each discussion isn't usefull... Funcom didnt do anything... I hope the elder Scrolls Online (new MMO) do it better!

I do not think any root/snare should have a duration longer than 2min personally. If you want to reduce nano or stim effectiveness I have no problem with that, but having a 10-20min duration is absurd especially for profs with no natural tools of escape.
    ~Anyone can level, but only the wise gain experience~

*Bronto Burger, serving 10,000 high level noobs daily*

http://wolf-brigade.webs.com/

My Story

Don't feed the Mensa Tralalalala

Everyday I'm Shuffling.

tl7 roots and snares play almost no role. best example: how often can 10 people spamming roots and snares effectively prohibit retreat to the nearest backyard? almost never. but this isn't about roots and snares, its about op's fixer hate, as mentioned previously. so any kind of discussion is pointless. i bet mcknuckle has a great way of saying all this aint true, dig out some insults and we're back where the fixer thread was closed for that exact reason.

wat?

it's not about fixer hate. It's about roots and snares.

Don't troll thread for no reason except to try to look like a troll. Trolling for the sake of trolling is still trolling for trolls, no?

OP is solid. reasons are solid. If you don't think there's any problem at TL7, then there should be no problem removing said offensive nano.

FC doesn't balance for froobs anymore, so why bother having a 29 minute snare? And even if it was balanced for froobs... how many encounters take 29 minutes to sort out?

I mean, sure ya, fixers DID used to have pretty slow DPS... or wait, are you suggesting that we remove 99% of Fixer DPS so the snares become balanced?

I don't think your comrades in fixerdom will like that suggestion.

Think harder Xooth! but don't ease off the troll pedal, I like it!

So another pvper maxes out his toon, enjoys all the benefits, gets bored and demands changes so he/she still feels a challenge. I have a tip for you, if you want a challenge... Delete your gun. Ga4 and multi boxing lol yeah suggest changes that affect under powered toons. Snares having long duration can be a god send. Not everyone is twinked up to the eyeballs.

Quote Originally Posted by gresh View Post
    So another pvper maxes out his toon, enjoys all the benefits, gets bored and demands changes so he/she still feels a challenge. I have a tip for you, if you want a challenge... Delete your gun. Ga4 and multi boxing lol yeah suggest changes that affect under powered toons. Snares having long duration can be a god send. Not everyone is twinked up to the eyeballs.
    Wow try so hard and fail at logic.

I think you are mixing up some basics there mate.

Nobody asks for a nerf so they get a challenge.

People ask for a nerf because something is OP.

If you're stuck in RK, spamming spin nano-web to survive, I got something for you... its called "Paid".

Its what happens when you get a job and learn to control your hands, mind and tongue at the same time.

don't worry gresh. he always starts to insult folks when he realizes "people=him" and "is=he thought". its nothing personal.

Quote Originally Posted by Xootch View Post
    don't worry gresh. he always starts to insult folks when he realizes "people=him" and "is=he thought". its nothing personal.
    Says the guy who makes everything personal

Quote Originally Posted by McKnuckleSamwich View Post
    Wow try so hard and fail at logic.

I think you are mixing up some basics there mate.

Nobody asks for a nerf so they get a challenge.

People ask for a nerf because something is OP.

If you're stuck in RK, spamming spin nano-web to survive, I got something for you... its called "Paid".

Its what happens when you get a job and learn to control your hands, mind and tongue at the same time.
    lol Noticed I made the post?? shouldnt that indicate im talking about a paid character? You assume a hell of a lot for somebody who professes to know so much.

These days I dont tend to struggle on my fixer. In times gone passed I have struggled though, as my character was underpowered at various stages inbetween upgrades and yeah the long times on the snares/roots were a god send. Especially when having to traverse through the same area multiple times (dynas & blitzing missions for a couple of scenarios off the top of my head especially dynas in SL) they dont always land so sometimes its taken a good portion of my hp to get the area snare/root to land or what ever. You will have been glad of them too at one time before your over inflated ego stopped you seeing anything passed the end of your nose.

Like I said It doesnt really bother me nowadays but I know from my experience... If I hadnt of had them I would of died more. Im sure I wasnt the first new player that suffered in that way and I doubt I was the last but hey while we are trying to think up stupid reasons to nerf the fixer toolset why not reduce their hots to 3 seconds and raise their cast times to 2 minutes.

In a perfect world people would only ask for a nerf because something is OP but we dont live in a perfect world. Far from it. People ask for all kinds of things for all manner of selfish reasons. Many people have moaned at how easy the content is and asked for changes because they are bored. You are one of them.

Wow so you got a job and then learned to control your hands, mind and tongue... how did you get on before you got a job?

I dont know what makes you think I dont have a Job but I gaurantee you I learned to control my hands, mind and tongue years before any job prospects opened up.

So, the TL;DR here is that if you're gimped you use OP nanos to save your butt?

And as soon as you figured out how to play (i.e. equip) you didn't have a problem anymore.

Sounds about right.

learn to control your hands, mind and tongue at the same time.
    Quote Originally Posted by gresh View Post
    I gaurantee you I learned to control my hands, mind and tongue years before any job prospects opened up.

Uhm...are we still talking about AO?
    ~Anyone can level, but only the wise gain experience~

*Bronto Burger, serving 10,000 high level noobs daily*

http://wolf-brigade.webs.com/

My Story

Don't feed the Mensa Tralalalala

Everyday I'm Shuffling.

Haha no not in this instance although I doubt I'm talking about what that snip implies either. Just generalisation on my part... Honest...

So, the TL;DR here is that if you're gimped you use OP nanos to save your butt?

No not at all. The TL;DR is that if your gimped... You make do with what you've got the best you can. Like I did, like you did, like everyone did before they were sorted. I really don't understand why you cant grasp this.

And as soon as you figured out how to play (i.e. equip) you didn't have a problem anymore.

Sounds about right.
    How is this different for anybody??? Do you read a post before you reply to it or do you just grab the nearest shampoo bottle\ketchup bottle/cornflake box and then just make up a response you think might fit if you had read the post?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast