Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Monthly (ahem) Development Update - April 30th, 2013

I must say, the "new engine" is what AO looks like when I'm drunk, all nice and Purdy-like
    Dysfunktion.
    Trypants.
    Setup.
    One bright day in the middle of the night,
    Two dead boys got up to fight.
    Back to back they faced each other,
    Drew their swords, and Shot each other.
    A deaf policeman heard the noise,
    He came and killed those two dead boys.
    If you don't believe this lie is true... ask the Blind Man, He saw it too.

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by AstralEcho View Post
    It's been a long time since we've heard anything about the rebalance
    The rebalance is currently on hold, as we are working hard to get the NPE out the door. There will however be some systems/rebalance related changes coming with the NPE patch such as a few new nanos for various professions and a rework of the neutral shops for new ICC HQ.

Quote Originally Posted by Nusquam View Post
    1) I was waiting for a deployable internal version so I could accompany my blog with new engine screenies. I might change that policy and just get to it. (Damned engine delays... okay I may be poking the bear making jokes like this).
    2) We will schedule this for after the NPE (and depending on the recommendations of the more experienced AO devs who will hopefully tell me exactly what needs to be done).
    Thanks for the prompt replies! Really glad to know the rebalance hasnt been forgotten.

I'd wager that the people most interested in your impressions of the game are already used to how it looks, so while the new shinies would be a bonus I'd almost like to see you playing it from the same muddy perspective as the rest of us. Still, its a legitimate reason as any But I am looking forward to it, as it's a perspective from a game director that we truly haven't seen in 12 years.
    Last edited by AstralEcho; Apr 30th, 2013 at 16:58:28.

AO forever

Keep up the good work guys. Looking forward to the new engine. The screenshots look great! I've always loved the looking up at the amazing skies you've created in this game.

I've been playing AO off and on since 2003. I've tried other games but I always come back just because of the sheer depth of AO. I can.. and often do.. lose all track of time playing AO.

Love it! Lifetime customer!

Inherent delays in game development make me cautious with dates...

And yeah, the update isn't exactly roaring with ZOMG NEW FEATURE X for exactly that reason! I'm trying to say what exactly is being worked on and how.

Trying to give updates on every little change would be pretty ridiculous coming from my mouth considering I am still learning the AO lingo and I see that Genele and Macrosun and Michizure post a *lot* more than the devs on AoC and TSW forums.
    I wasnt asking for updates on every little change. Just a heads up that if things go wrong, dont try to sugarcoat it. Weve had it in the past and it makes the feeling worse. As for the guys posting more than the other devs, it is because nearly eveveryone who has passed through the dev team has been a player first. AO is no longer a corporate run MMO, it has become more of a community project. It would serve you well to bear that in mind.
    Last edited by Raggy; Apr 30th, 2013 at 16:39:41. Reason: typing on a mobile is hard
    Pricecuts - 220 Trader
    Feel free to contact me via PM or in-game.

Raggy - 220 Bureaucrat || Raggeh - 220 Fixer | Back as 'Raggys' - Shade for the time being. | Nuclei - 217 Nanotechnician || Nanobiology - 214 Doctor

Tip #743: As noted in Tip #244, tea bags have an infinite variety of uses. However, there's always one jerk who will want to give you crap over drinking tea. Particularly if in a new town, use this as an opportunity to assert yourself. Any drunken idiot can win a bar fight. It takes a real man to win a bar fight while enjoying a cup of Earl Grey.

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by Raggy View Post
    I wasnt asking for updates on every little change. Just a heads up that if things go wrong, dont try to sugarcoat it. Weve had it in the past and it makes the feeling worse. As for the guys posting more than the other devs, it is because nearly eveveryone who has passed through the dev team has been a player first. AO is no longer a corporate run MMO, it has become more of a community project. It would serve you well to bear that in mind.
    Sure, I'll let you know if things go wrong. Like I said the aim is to hit open beta later this year. If that changes, you will know why.

I really wasn't expecting much for the 'New Player Experience' starting area. I expected bits of pieces pulled from around the game and thrown together. I will be making a new character to play through that. That brings up a question, will old characters be able to access this area? They can't access the current newbie playfield.

Also, we will we ever be able to see Rubi-Ka from the orbital station? Unless my client is bugged, I can see clouds, but no planet. Not a major issue, but I think it would be nice to see the planet.

My last question, the old voice overs in Omni-1. "Kill a Clan today, be happy tomorrow." They seem to be gone, we will ever see those come back? I always loved how AO had those little pieces of fluff. One of the few games where I felt a connection to the faction I was with, and those VOs over the city just pushed the point.

I know it has been a long time, but it is nice to start seeing more come together.

Lastly, how is the team liking the move to NC? Maybe I could stop by the Funcom office one day, only about an hour-ish away.

Thanks!

Like I said the aim is to hit open beta later this year.

where have i heard that before?

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy View Post
    where have i heard that before?
    I still remember the Friday With Means at the end of July 2009, when he dropped "end of August" as the projected date the NPE would be on TestLive :P
    Last edited by AstralEcho; Apr 30th, 2013 at 17:06:09.

I was expecting this sort of, regurgitated update, mainly because I feel you dont have a clue what is going on with AO and how to approach it. Basically, you are a giant newb. This does not settle well with me.

Upon reading AoC and TSW updates I was disheartened at the fact that we received so little. In comparison both of those MMOs felt like their letter was almost a road map for the rest of the year (maybe not a year, I am so use to slow development cycles that I dont know how the other MMOs are at releasing their stuff). Our update was the same damn crap we have been hearing since November-December time frame (basically stating that NPE and Engine is the focus with a few other comments in between).

What this update tells me is several things. NO ONE has any idea what development will be like after the engine because AO will be put on the back burner. This leads to no definitive road map because it could be years before anything truly ground breaking for the game is released (ignoring small, mediocre update patches to bugs or engine related issues). Also, you (Joel) being such a giant newb with AO, you have no clue what to even do with AO. I read those other updates and they are long and extensive. I read AOs and they give me no hope and no new information that I dont already know.

I am personally getting sick and tired of hearing about that friggin engine being under development and how you are all so close to releasing it and how it is at the forefront of updates and talks. I have heard close and soon so many times over the past 6 years its equivalent to calling me stupid. Until you have a beta release date, then shut up and talk about something new.

I want to hear what you are going to do for AO. Or why you have no clear cut plan. I want to hear what development cycles are going to be like. I want to hear if the move is over. I want to know if the move is still effecting everything. I want to know what the future of AO will be, will it still be here? Will it not? What strives will be taken to make sure it will remain (not just engine and NPE, a more grand scheme of things)?

Also, I really dont know what exactly your duty is. Are you some sort of figure head that green lights change when you are given information about development? Like, is all that you do is say yay or nay if the profits are/aren't worth it? Are you hands on with any of the MMOs? Do you only make visits to offices and poke your head in, see what is going on, say you like this and then say you hate that and to get rid of it without really knowing the true scope of things? Seriously, what are your duties? Maybe I missed it and you or someone can point me to where you talk about the specifics on what you do.

I've heard that test live has changed RK mobs. I am curious, what will RK have that, as you say, compares to hecklers? Not trying to be down on the news, I just would love to see what old place will get some new love as a grindfest!
    -Tanisthonus. 212MP. Unity of the Rose. Atlantean.

Also, it would be nice to have AO page up to date. I bet that wont take much time.
    SOON™coming back...
    Neosh 220/20 Shade | Neokirurg 220/21 Doc crit setup | Neoc 216/18 Crat
    Shades are really invisible (from FC point of view)
    Patterns/symbs SALE ----- Refined imps SALE

Quote Originally Posted by Neosh1 View Post
    Also, it would be nice to have AO page up to date. I bet that wont take much time.
    Yeah, why are the other two on the front page, while we're just on the forums?
    -Tanisthonus. 212MP. Unity of the Rose. Atlantean.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanisthonus View Post
    Yeah, why are the other two on the front page, while we're just on the forums?
    fc corporate likes to pretend we don't exist

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by MachSchau View Post
    Upon reading AoC and TSW updates I was disheartened at the fact that we received so little. In comparison both of those MMOs felt like their letter was almost a road map for the rest of the year (maybe not a year, I am so use to slow development cycles that I dont know how the other MMOs are at releasing their stuff). Our update was the same damn crap we have been hearing since November-December time frame (basically stating that NPE and Engine is the focus with a few other comments in between).
    It is pretty safe to say that on The Secret World and Age of Conan, I am the one who writes the road maps and, together with the producer, sets the goals for the project.

I don't have the same role on Anarchy Online because, as you say, I am a huge noob. And, the AO updates are focused on the Engine and the NPE.

What this update tells me is several things. NO ONE has any idea what development will be like after the engine because AO will be put on the back burner. This leads to no definitive road map because it could be years before anything truly ground breaking for the game is released (ignoring small, mediocre update patches to bugs or engine related issues). Also, you (Joel) being such a giant newb with AO, you have no clue what to even do with AO. I read those other updates and they are long and extensive. I read AOs and they give me no hope and no new information that I dont already know.
    Actually, AO is the only live product in the stable that has dedicated developers who do not work on other projects. What it means is that the focus right now is the engine and the NPE.

Once they are done, the AO focused devs will tell me where they want to take the game and we will discuss and come up with a plan.

I am personally getting sick and tired of hearing about that friggin engine being under development and how you are all so close to releasing it and how it is at the forefront of updates and talks. I have heard close and soon so many times over the past 6 years its equivalent to calling me stupid. Until you have a beta release date, then shut up and talk about something new.
    This is fine and understandable...but what new? If the focus is the engine and the NPE then what new do you think there is to talk about?

I want to hear what you are going to do for AO. Or why you have no clear cut plan. I want to hear what development cycles are going to be like.
    We have a clear cut plan. Finish the engine and the NPE. You don't like that plan, perhaps, but that is the plan.

I want to hear if the move is over. I want to know if the move is still effecting everything.
    The move is still going on for some people who have had trouble with Visas. The AO core team, however is not affected. So it is mostly things like art support that are affected.

I want to know what the future of AO will be, will it still be here? Will it not? What strives will be taken to make sure it will remain (not just engine and NPE, a more grand scheme of things)?
    The engine and NPE pave the way to Steam.
    Steam paves the way to greater player numbers.
    The NPE paves the way to keeping those players.

Increasing the player base is the long term business goal. And that will ensure the long term future of AO.

Also, I really dont know what exactly your duty is. Are you some sort of figure head that green lights change when you are given information about development? Like, is all that you do is say yay or nay if the profits are/aren't worth it?
    On AO I make sure the devs have what they need to do the things that they want to do (within reason). As somebody pointed out above, the devs are/have been a part of the community and they understand the game. Until I have a much better grasp of the game, it is more important that I listen to them and support them than throw random ideas of my own at the project.

Are you hands on with any of the MMOs? Do you only make visits to offices and poke your head in, see what is going on, say you like this and then say you hate that and to get rid of it without really knowing the true scope of things? Seriously, what are your duties? Maybe I missed it and you or someone can point me to where you talk about the specifics on what you do.
    On TSW:
    I write the high-level issue designs. I write characters and story. I review the missions and other content. I provide systems design feedback.

On AoC:
    As above. Plus quest implementation.

On AO:
    I listen to the team and make sure they have what they need. I insulate them from the management side of things for the most part - they deal with me (and Scott) and I make sure they get what they need.

For all projects:
    I am the internal advocate for all of the games both outwards and upwards. My job is making sure that marketing know what is cool and coming for each game so that they can highlight and target the right press.
    I do the same job with upper management, ensuring that they hear about the good work (and the failures) on the projects. I am also responsible for said failures and in that sense I also insulate the teams from having to deal with anybody but me regarding them.

Specifically for AO, you can expect a major marketing push when the engine is done and ready for steam. The marketing department is already super excited about the engine and the game (I showed them it running as a remote desktop slideshow) and they were pumped.

Hopefully that covers it for you

So pretty much AO will remain the only game with its own developers and will not benefit like AoC and TSW with a combined team of developers? I imagine they will see some help like through artists but not so much of developer action, right?

Also, what will the consolidation of dev teams mean for all games? Will there still be 3 "teams" working on the 3 mmos to some degree? Or will it be like, 3 months all devs will work on AoC, next 3 months all devs will work on TSW and AO will get some minor help at some point but remain independent? I dont understand this part of the consolidation and you have not elaborated on what update cycles will be like, will they be faster now? Or still the same?

Genele has been working incredibly hard on both the new player experience and revamps to the item shop - including removing the multiple tiers of old reward systems (such as phasefront points) and moving them into the store where they will be more easily accessible.
    Ok, couple questions:
    - Removing the Phasefront points means that the terminals in Newland are gone and you can buy the Hoverbikes, Boards and Clothing in the Items Shop?
    - What do you mean by "multiple tiers of reward systems"?
    - Will Veteran Points be affected by this in any way?
    - What happens with Funcom-Points that have been transferred to characters ingame already and that aren't spent yet? Will they go back into the "pool" and at what ratio?
    - The shop in Newland gives a good ingame-look at the bikes so you can check them out before you buy them. Will that still be there after the change?

Greets,
    Thay
    Thaylia - Martial Artist
    Spellseeker - Nanotechnician
    Kahja - Doctor

"Authenticity is achieved by saying what you´re doing, and doing what you´re saying." - Johannes Rau
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~
    Socializer 80%, Explorer 53%, Achiever 53%, Killer 13%

I can work with this

Howdy Joel,

Gotta say I like your style of directly responding to criticism in print in an extremely timely fashion! That's a plus.

Look brogan , I thought about posting something when you first got the post of new AO Game Director.

Something to the effect of "as a 12 YEAR Vet of this game who has forgotten more about the AO development cycle and its CONSEQUENCES on players than you will know for at least a year, ..."

Then I realized that might be a tad harsh. Same as you being called a "Giant Newb"" at AO , which while true , does not exactly "grow the population base" if you get my meaning

So let me explain to you , Joel , why we AO players can be such cranky sons and daughters of bitches.

1. WE LOVE THIS GAME

2. ALOT (Like I have 6 accts a lot. k? And will soon have 10 220s )

3. It has been really really heartbreaking to see FC NOT LOVE THIS GAME , not the way we do

4. We aren't the red headed step child , we are one of the few mmorgs that has survived for 10+ YEARS ... SWG anyone? lolol

5. We feel that we have not been given accurate information and been strung along on the engine etc for YEARS now. YEARS. Like entire games have been made in the time we have told you guys are working on a new AO engine

6. We have seen SOOOO many INSANE FC DESIGN DECISIONS that literally take 7+ years to fix

(I'll relay the story of the great AIXP Development Curve over 7 years in a separate post , one of the benefits of being a 12 YEAR player is I can kinda see the grand scheme of the changes both good and bad to this game that a "Giant Newb" may not have access to. lol)

7. Our needs are SO small ... here I'll list them

8. New Engine plx? Rebalance to something rational? (make sure you do NOT alter PVM when you make PVP changes, k thx bai) NPE and Steam?

9. How about ... A REAL EXPANSION WITH LIKE ZONES AND STUFF. Like an SL level expansion. Look at the "release history" of content for this game.

10. How about SL 230 or 250? How about AI 50 - 70? How about LE 150-250?

11. Don't come in here , and like Lindelu (just an example off the top of my head) change Auto Attack and Pet Hunt. Stuff that had only been working in game for ohhhhhh , 11+ Years before she got here. This , to a 12 year player seems a tad arrogant for a "Giant Newb" to change vital AO systems that have existed for 12+years

12. Be straight up with us. The more transparency the better.

13. Realize because we LOVE THIS GAME , we will fight hard to protect it. And like when anything you love is being mistreated or hurt due to indifference , neglect , etc , people get angry. Theres a fair amount of anger and cynicism on this board (guilty as charged) cos of our LOVE for AO and because of FCs failure (sorry guys but gotta keep it real) to appreciate what this game is and commit the time and resources needed to make it flourish.

AO. BEST. GAME. EVER.

That is all. <3
    Innervoid 220 / 30 / 70 MA (sadly no longer teh main man cos MA haz no lub)
    Thedarknight 220 / 30 / 70 ADV (name reset FTW)
    Shrektehogre 220/ 30 / 70 KEEP (Prolly the Main, maybe)
    Enemywithin 220 / 30 / 70 AGENT (RAWR)
    Lastsamurai 220 / 30 / 70 SOL (6th 220 FTW!)
    Innerpeace 220 / 30 / 70 CRAT (First Calmer)
    Stargazer 220 / 30 / 70 MA DOC
    Abyssgazer 220 MP (8hr CM lubbin/all around MP gamp)
    Misterscott 220 ENGY / Deaconfroste 220 SHADE / Vforvendetta 220 ENF / Haljordan 220 Fix

Specifically for AO, you can expect a major marketing push when the engine is done and ready for steam. The marketing department is already super excited about the engine and the game (I showed them it running as a remote desktop slideshow) and they were pumped.
    Fixed that for you there.

Also, Finishing projects that have been in the pipeline since before AoC and TSW existed is NOT a road map, road maps have vision for new ideas. You, have merely re-iterated a TODO list.
    Last edited by Anarrina; Apr 30th, 2013 at 22:43:20. Reason: do not change someone else's words when quoting.

Quote Originally Posted by Deaconfrost View Post

7. Our needs are SO small ... here I'll list them

9. How about ... A REAL EXPANSION WITH LIKE ZONES AND STUFF. Like an SL level expansion. Look at the "release history" of content for this game.
    rofl

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast