Page 8 of 33 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Monthly Development Update - 2nd April 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpa View Post

Ah, a comprehension issue here, or do you speak on behalf of the silent majority?
    Did they authorize you to do so?
    You are completely right, I don't have a portal into the minds of those who do not post here, or indeed those who DO post here - aside from their posts themselves of course.

All I am saying is that I do not agree with a lot of your posts - and others have voiced thier disagreement as well, but you still phrase all of your posts as if you are speaking with some public mandate, and that you, as a paying subscriber, are some sort of messiah to the unwashed, unposting masses.

Many people, in many threads post in this manner - taking the mantle of savior to the players, the only one who will say what we all are thinking, and become progressively more vicious when the illusion of their importance is shattered. You are remarkably restrained compared to many others, but the quality and veracity of your posts is degrading as you are challenged - and yet you still maintain the fantasy that you are representing a some great voting bloc, unstoppable in it's crusade to rightness.

All I am saying is that others who disagree with Funcom, who have more practice and a better, clearer grasp of their position in the world, manage to disagree without consistently making the connection between themselves and "us" with "our" opinions and "concerns".

You play the forum well for one who chose the name of an octogenarian, but you assume to much.
    -= Make the new engine look even better. Don't forget to post a screenshot! =-

Quote Originally Posted by Miru View Post
    And credits really are a big deal. You do have to fund your implants and nanos you can't farm every single item yourself unless you have ridiculous amounts of spare time.
    Yeah, but once they boost credits the price on non-vendorstuff increase. IE, itemproduction must be boosted.
    Last edited by leetlover; Apr 3rd, 2014 at 18:26:58.
    Disclaimer: My posts should not be read by anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by jorricane View Post
    Many people, in many threads post in this manner - taking the mantle of savior to the players, the only one who will say what we all are thinking

I think that's an interesting statement. I know personally that I have posted many times not about things that directly affected me but situations/problems/etc that affected people I played with (that don't post on the forums). Maybe from an outsider's viewpoint it seems like I think that my opinion > all but the reality is that I am quite often prone to be wrong and I do personally change my mind on things or adjust my viewpoint to understand 'the other side'.

That being said, I can't speak for Grandpa but I know that in-game I get plenty of thanks and kudos for posting and I have long ago lost count of the people that have told me in-game, via private forum messages, on voice chats that they hate the forums but they're glad I'm posting because I cover off on a lot of their concerns.

I think its far more reasonable to think that the most active posters do indeed represent the ideas and opinions of a decent portion of the playerbase, than not.

That being said, I have no idea what the 2 of you were going back and forth on.. just chiming in on that portion of your statement.
    You can find me at:
    Battlenet @ Marilata#1680
    Steam @ http://steamcommunity.com/id/marilata

Quote Originally Posted by Traderjill View Post
    And Tryp I know you didn't say stupid or bad.. not trying to put words in your mouth at all. It is something I hear from people though.. the concept that you either take AO as it is, without complaint, or 'your kind isn't wanted here' as if there isn't a middle ground that Funcom could create in order to retain talented players.
    I admit what I wrote could be taken that way, and I definitely didn't want to defend AO "as it is" entirely. I too like the conveniences, and I really hope that FC improves the experience of people who want to acquire gear as they level and play without OST. But I don't think I want to compromise on a player needing an org to get by; I do think that game knowledge should continue to be a huge advantage in this game, and that you should get it by reading guides and by talking to vet players, and orgs should continue to be the vehicle for this. So I want to say that some ways of making life easier are fine, but some of the suggestions floating around would eliminate all of the diversity and complexity of the game. And thank you for interpreting me charitably
    General of Nocturnal Fear
    Trypha 220/30/70 Engy | Trypothecary 220/30/69 Doc | Tryptophy 220/30/68 Crat | Trypocalypse 220/30/70 Sold | Tryharder 220/30/68 NT | Trypointy 220/x/x Shade | Peasantry 200/30/69 Keeper | Trycharm 150/20/42 Crat

I think its far more reasonable to think that the most active posters do indeed represent the ideas and opinions of a decent portion of the playerbase, than not.
    That is correct!
    What I write here is, of course, influenced by what I hear in-game.

That said, my posts are still my personal opinion and nowhere have I claimed otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by jorricane View Post
    All I am saying is that I do not agree with a lot of your posts - and others have voiced thier disagreement as well, but you still phrase all of your posts as if you are speaking with some public mandate, and that you, as a paying subscriber, are some sort of messiah to the unwashed, unposting masses.
    It is ludicrous that I would need such disclaimer on a public forum!

People come here and claim these threads are full "trolling", "vitriol", "bile", "negativity".
    Then they turn around and use "trolling", "vitriol", "bile" and "negativity" on those who disagree with them.
    They want to shut down anything critical, anything that is not their point of view, as if all problems could be solved by being hush-hush about it.

By using words such as "trolling", "vitriol", "bile" and "negativity", they entice Funcom or at least our forum Moderator to do the dirty work for them and remove what they don't like. It is that underhanded tactic that I take issue with!

If you don't like my opinion, or the opinion of others who are critical of Funcom, don't read them or ignore the posters!
    It's that simple.

I will still read yours, because my mind is open to opinions other than my own.
    Last edited by Grandpa; Apr 3rd, 2014 at 20:34:16.
    I have nothing to hide, but I value my privacy!
    I'm not on facebook, twitter or any other social media.
    I will never reveal my in-game characters or organizations on a public forum.
    If that upsets all the virtual exhibitionists, so be it!

Cool

That is correct!
    What I write here is of course influenced by what hear in-game.

That said, my posts are still my personal opinion and nowhere have I claimed otherwise.

It is ludicrous that I would need such disclaimer on a public forum!

People come here and claim these threads are full "trolling", "vitriol", "bile", "negativity".
    Then they turn around and use "trolling", "vitriol", "bile" and "negativity" on those who disagree with them.
    They want to shut down anything critical, anything that is not their point of view, as if all problems could be solved by being hush-hush about it.

By using words such as "trolling", "vitriol", "bile" and "negativity", they entice Funcom or at least our forum Moderator to do the dirty work for them and remove what they don't like. It is that underhanded tactic that I take issue with!

If you don't like my opinion, or the opinion of others who are critical of Funcom, don't read them or ignore the posters!
    It's that simple.

I will still read yours, because my mind is open to opinions other than my own.
    In looking at this post and I see nothing constructive and no questions to the developers about anything. All I see is an angry person yelling at other posters. I don't even see anything here to disagree with because there is nothing here about the game. Isn't this forum for offering suggestions to the developers and alerting them to things that we may not like? Even if we may think they aren't listening, please, let's get back to discussing the game like "Is the click + save also going to be applied to GMI" and "what are some things that can be done to fix the in-game economy" or any number of other things about "The Game". There have been many good posts in this forum so far let's keep it going. I may be naïve to the haters but I think the developers read this forum and it does matter to them. They can't however give everyone everything they want that's not feasible and I wouldn't like the game if they did.

I don't have time to read it all, but considering most of us bets level our new chars using nt and ost, and run them through inf easies along with a decked out 220, I don't thibk some convenience would hurt anyone.

Maybe just give the existing dungeons loot new stats so they actually drop worthwile items for all profs. Subway, Totw, Foremans, CoH, Steps of Madness, Smugglers Den. All already there. Some have very useful items already, but they should have full sets of decent armor, weapons and util/huds for all profs. Not as good as the best out there, but something that works fine until you get though the next dungeon.
    When I make mistakes, I use a lot of salt,
    cause salt makes m'steaks taste great!

Beornin - The original Shotgun Adv
    Obsessive - First 220 Trox Engi
    Euthanizer - Reanimated NT

The communications I've seen indicate that they don't watch what they say which was moreso my point.. there's been no recent epiphany regarding communications due to a history of player reactions. If there had been, you'd see a very different communication style not the same thing over and over.
    on your post above I would disagree with you. You complain in past posts that they dont give you enough information. Alot of the information you would like is non existant and the information we get is sparse. I think they do watch what they say and they watch most of all that they dont say much at all. Im not saying, after watching what they say they then tell us the info we like or even tell us the "right" things regarding the situation. They release snippets of info here about this and bits and bobs of that there but they dont ever fill in any back ground info or tell us their reasonings and yes that is probably to their detriment as it seems to just cause sparks within the playerpbase as people run round like headless chickens in panic of life as we know it ceasing to exist. yes if you looked at the last few posts from the current team we have been getting monthly updates and Joels especially was quite in depth giving away alot of info. but again the amount of changes he talked about compared with the amount of information given over each change... they are being very careful with the info they give out. Over the years that the game has been running, the quality and breadth of the posts has overall declined but at the same time has come in swings and roundabouts. They have gone through periods where they have given us regular posts and then periods where they haven't and this is the result of having to deal with a playerbase they cant seem to ever please for the time that the game has run. In truth they do please alot of the playerbase. Yes there are things wrong with the game. We all have our own ideas as to what these things are and while there are obvious common "wrong ideas" the things one person views as wrong is different to the next person. This doesnt stop people playing, subbing or enjoying the game. In truth Ive known more people that have left the game due to personal interests be it work or different games or what ever & other players attitudes and actions whilst playing alongside them than ive known to have emo/ragequit because of the actual work on ao.

Ive seen you post on threads with concerns (concerns that other people have had too) that has had an official comment on and instead of being happy you got some kind of response... You fired in another shift of questions and concerns. Now I aint saying you cant have questions and concerns but How much information would be enough? what ever information they offer up to try to quell fears and concerns regarding changes will allways inspire more questions. I would kinda prefer them to ignore us, get the work completed and release it as opposed to taking a month off every month to explain everything people gripe about so props there tothe devs. The more time they spend on the forums the less time they are working on the changes. Funcom will introduce what ever changes they wish for what ever reasons they wish and they will release what ever end result they wish. The only thing we can do is the same thing we have done for years... wait. Now dont get me wrong. I am not saying that is right. Personally I would prefer to have more clear and concise posts from our dev team and Id prefer to get to know what was coming but regardless of what we each of us individually prefer... we get what we are given whether we like it or not.

I hope you dont see this as a personal attack as I am not trying to have a go at you (I have no idea how this reads)or seem like im trying rile you. Im just trying to fit as much as I can hoping it will quench any thirst for answers you might have as to be honest... I dont have the time for discussions of this magnatude.
    Now im sure you are going to rip me apart here and tell me how wrong I am but your entitled to your opinion so feel free. I am not after any kind of validation. I accept that you have your oppinion and your entitlement to it and respect your differences.

Business 101:
    Unhappy customers lead to declining revenue for the company.

Developers, Game Directors (and as Esssch called them other "useless figureheads") are part of the company.
    Even if the board of directors, CEO, etc. do not read our concerns, it is the responsibility of those who DO read them to relay our sentiments to those at the top of the decision-making process.
    I have already told you I know. I understand the difference betweren a company and the product it offers. The thing you seem too stupid to comprehend is that The product they offer is theirs. Not yours, not mine, not anybody's but theirs. You pay a subscription for the ability to play that game. not for any thing that might be promised or anything that you might hope for the future. You pay to play the game as it currently is. Now you could say that you would never play a game if there was to be no future expansion or if the game wasnt continually developed but that is onlyu yoru reasons for playing/paying. The fact remains that you pay for the game to play it as it currnetly is. If you dont like that things arnt done quick enough then you have the right to move on. If you dont think that there is any truthful future expansion or development then you have the right to refuse to pay , in turn revoking your right to play. Show me one post that ive written where ive said that I dont understand the basic structure of the company.

Even if the board of directors, CEO, etc. do not read our concerns, it is the responsibility of those who DO read them to relay our sentiments to those at the top of the decision-making process.
    Eh... I read the forums... is it my responsibility??

The devs responsibility is outlined by the board members im afraid. Not you.

If your job description places you in the path of customer complaints, you a) need to be able to handle it and b) update those above you regularly.
    If you cannot do that, you need to find a different job.
    Wtf... what is the dev teams job description... give me their list of duties... Last I heard it wasnt customer service. It was Development. Funcom dont have a customer service. we have to rely on the devs because funcom wont give us one.

Since there is no Yelp for MMOs, this forum is the ONLY practical way for us, the paying customers, to voice our complaints.
    Where have I said you cant complain (If i have done Im afraid ive just got carried away with late hours or lack of sleep and drifted off my point.) I have openly said you have a right to complain. Ive read posts, some ive agreed with but some I havent. As with most people on the forums, when they have an oppinon against what somebody says I voice it. You started aiming your posts at me and all ive done is respond. It seems it isnt me saying no one is allowed to complain but rather you just saying no body is allowed to argue with those who complain. You have every right to complain. I dont care whether you complain or not.

You want to take that away because you feel it is too "negative"?
    No, you obviously cannot differentiate between Funcom and AO!
    lol no im just pointing out that people that moan. They moan to deaf ears. The only thing the moaning is going to do is repel any new potential players from giving it a try because why the hell would they when alot of teh current playerbase moans like hell. I mean if the current playerbase aint happy... why would they be if they gave it a shot. You confuse this sentiment for me telling you you arnt allowed to gripe and complain?

Im not sure if its just me but you seem to repeat the same posts in pretty much every thread you post in. you have the same arguments. If the devs read and took note of your posts they know what you say. You dont have to keep telling them. If they have made THEIR product into something you dislike then you have the option to play or not. Not that im saying do not post. I dont care. Im just saying.

You i am afraid, are a troll.
    Last edited by gresh; Apr 3rd, 2014 at 20:54:34.

Quote Originally Posted by genele View Post
    finally we have set a 10 second cooldown and a skill-lock to treatment when using the teleporters. This is to prevent players from easily getting away from a fight to heal up quickly.
    SCHWEET LAWD JEBUS THEY HEARD ME ALLELUIA PRAISE GAWD

I'm so happy.

Yeah, the click-sale thing is pretty cool and removing the glass wall is good too.
    Rest is minor but at least they do something in-between vacations.

Lol at all the fanbois!
    grandpa just defends that we can post critical thoughts. They are ripping him and proving his point every time, rofl.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunforhire View Post
    In looking at this post and I see nothing constructive and no questions to the developers about anything. All I see is an angry person yelling at other posters. I don't even see anything here to disagree with because there is nothing here about the game.
    You wrote a bunch of off-topic junk but you want his deleted because of that? Pretty underhanded stuff, dude!

Ugh.

This thread.

You people.
    :E

Quote Originally Posted by Ahndracorvid View Post
    Ugh.

This thread.

You people.
    Ugh.

This post.

You.
    NO U

I think that's an interesting statement. I know personally that I have posted many times not about things that directly affected me but situations/problems/etc that affected people I played with (that don't post on the forums). Maybe from an outsider's viewpoint it seems like I think that my opinion > all but the reality is that I am quite often prone to be wrong and I do personally change my mind on things or adjust my viewpoint to understand 'the other side'.

That being said, I can't speak for Grandpa but I know that in-game I get plenty of thanks and kudos for posting and I have long ago lost count of the people that have told me in-game, via private forum messages, on voice chats that they hate the forums but they're glad I'm posting because I cover off on a lot of their concerns.

That being said, I have no idea what the 2 of you were going back and forth on.. just chiming in on that portion of your statement.

The thing is, your posts make it clear that you are speaking from personal experience, to something that you think is a problem. From your posts, one doesn't get a sense that you are trying to speak for the community as a whole - without needing to preface your statements, you speak with clarity but without the pretense and implication that you represent the whole or even a majority. If you say that people think something is wrong, you tend to say "people I have spoken with think this is wrong", rather than "we all think this is wrong". A minor difference, to be sure, but the distinction is critical, in that it does not assume the agreement of the community as a whole.

Maybe it's just the way Grandpa writes, a quirk in his use of written English, but all his posts seem imply, and I am willing to admit that this is perhaps unintentional, that he speaks for some grievously wronged portion of AO's population as their sole spokesman. I find it irksome only because, as has since been said, there are little to no questions, or even real criticism (positive or negative) in his posts - they are limited to explaining why he should be listened to, not what it is that he is demanding on behalf of the non forum-posting masses.

~Sauer

That is correct!

It's that simple.

That's not the problem I am pointing out, and you probably know it.

I have agreed with some of your posts, the ones that contain content rather than the ones containing the reasons that said content should carry weight.

I do not intend to ignore you, or anyone, no matter what level of trolling they may achieve.

My only issue with your posts is the CONTINUAL use of pronouns that imply that you personally speak for some sort of consortium that includes the rest of the playerbase.

I'm paraphrasing here, but the difference between you and the more tolerant/tolerable dissenters is the fact that you tend so say things along the lines of "I think that we are tired of this stuff, and our voice matters because we pay." as opposed to the less....trying to think of a non-insulting word to use here, because I am really not trying to insult you....egocentric posters will phrase it "I and some people I talk to find this to be an issue, and our group should be heeded.".

You seem to be using the implication that you are the spokesperson for a larger bloc to make your posts seem less petty, which is a legitimate spin technique, but I find it as insulting as some politician who was elected with minority of the popular vote claiming to have a "clear mandate from the people".

I am not asking you to change the tone or content, or even accusing you of bile, vitriol, or even incoherent ranting. All I ask is that you stop trying to include me, and everyone else who may or may not agree with you in your support base.

If I agree with you, I am perfectly capable of saying so.

~Sauer

Quote Originally Posted by gresh
    Wtf... what is the dev teams job description... give me their list of duties... Last I heard it wasnt customer service. It was Development. Funcom dont have a customer service. we have to rely on the devs because funcom wont give us one.
    I'd like to introduce you to Sezmra our Community Manager. I do believe she is the one you would be saying doesn't exist.

For Customer Service they are called Genetic Manipulators and they are staffed 24/7. You reach them by http://help.funcom.com or via ingame /petition.
    Last edited by Bekrowe; Apr 3rd, 2014 at 22:04:15. Reason: Added Link to Sezmra's profile
    Director Bekrowe
    ARK Community Relations
    Public Forums Moderator
    Advisors of Rubi-Ka

:: Social Guidelines ::
    :: Ark Public Website :: Social Events with ARK :: Rubi-Ka Marriage Registry :: ARK Tours :: Join ARK!

Quote Originally Posted by Bekrowe View Post
    I'd like to introduce you to Sezmra our Community Manager. I do believe she is the one you would be saying doesn't exist.

For Customer Service they are called Genetic Manipulators and they are staffed 24/7. You reach them by http://help.funcom.com or via ingame /petition.
    The Game Masters are called Genetic Manipulators?

Yes since it goes along with the scheme of Anarchy Online.
    Director Bekrowe
    ARK Community Relations
    Public Forums Moderator
    Advisors of Rubi-Ka

:: Social Guidelines ::
    :: Ark Public Website :: Social Events with ARK :: Rubi-Ka Marriage Registry :: ARK Tours :: Join ARK!

Quote Originally Posted by Beornin View Post
    The Game Masters are called Genetic Manipulators?
    Since AO was my first MMO, after taking a break and moving to other MMOs, I was surprised to find that it didn't stand for Genetic Manipulators everywhere else...

Quote Originally Posted by Bekrowe View Post
    Yes since it goes along with the scheme of Anarchy Online.
    Hehe, I actually never knew that. I do agree though that in AO it actually fits.

Quote Originally Posted by Antimony View Post
    Yeah, the click-sale thing is pretty cool and removing the glass wall is good too.
    Rest is minor but at least they do something in-between vacations.

Lol at all the fanbois!
    grandpa just defends that we can post critical thoughts. They are ripping him and proving his point every time, rofl.

You wrote a bunch of off-topic junk but you want his deleted because of that? Pretty underhanded stuff, dude!
    Where did I say I wanted his post to be removed? I believe in an earlier post I said I post because I can just like you post because you can. What's your problem.

Page 8 of 33 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast