Thread: Research and early levels

Research and early levels

So, just recently returned to the game. Enjoying myself but I don't have much experience when it comes to Alien levels and Research.

My question is...how early should I really start to work on research? It seems so slow in comparison to normal leveling. I'm just 25 as of now so nothing too fancy.

Research can unlock various bonuses, usually procs and ability/skill bonuses. While it can be argued that putting XP into research to get a few more points makes no sense since you could get the same by just leveling with that XP instead, it can still give you an edge withtout raising your level, kind of like twinking only without the item/OSB trickery involved. Of two chars of the same level the one with a significant amount of research done will be in advantage, obviously. Thus I mostly tried to balance research and levelling, instead of ignoring it (unlike many people I knew who completely ignored research until TL7, or even started doing it only after they had hit 220).

Alien levels and the perks they unlock are a somewhat similar thing, they can be really useful when you are missing a few points in some skill to be able to use something better a bit earlier. Again, the "same level with more power" thing applies.

That said, it's probably not such a big deal at L25 (unless you want to try to squeeze the max out of a char at any given level, for which research can help a lot), but I'd say, maybe L50-60ish and up is where you could start really looking into doing research along normal leveling and getting axp for some nice AI perk headroom.
    Last edited by Honorbound; Jun 15th, 2013 at 17:26:56.

"All things point to that they didn't play to win, but for the game itself and to play well. ... Later in their evolution, they forgot all about playing and having fun. When their corrupted minds only cared for what new ways they could gain power, there was no room for the simple things in life."
    - One Who Will Always Listen
    "Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment."
    - Librarian Isador Aikos, W40k: Dawn of War
    "If you want to make enemies... try to change something."
    - Adam Jensen, Deus Ex: Human Revolution

my advice is if your gonna do dailies put research at 100% for handing in as it hits the cap and will still likely level you, for rest of the time maybe do 25% research itll slow your leveling but not by that much, as for ai xp its fairly easy to cap it doing a few dailies per week in my experience

Just make sure that if you ever notice your xp being capped (hunting high level mobs/hecks/etc in a team), make sure you turn research on to make up the difference, as xp is capped after the split to research not before.

The best time in my opinion to knock out early research is when you first start hunting tougher monsters, as you get more xp from a mob the lower your level is... so unless it drastically increases your kill rate, doing research afterwards isn't quite as fast.

I've also seen it recommended (I believe it was fixerspy's guide from years and years ago) that whenever a mob you kill gives you more xp then the research cap, stop and knock out those research lines. Its a pretty good rule of thumb IMO.

Plenty of ways to skin the cat.
    Solgier
    Algar (almost) Pure DD crat
    Docgar
    Elithas

Most profs. have at least 1 really good level 1 research, personally i always finish that around level 6 or so ( cripplers at Nasc bridge area), other than that look up what is good and get that, if your org bot supports the !leproc command then check out what you can/should get, LE-procs can be game changing.
    Last edited by Notcrattey; Today at 05:51:45. Reason: Didn't actually edit it, was a mistake!

Quote Originally Posted by guyarcher View Post
    So, just recently returned to the game. Enjoying myself but I don't have much experience when it comes to Alien levels and Research.

My question is...how early should I really start to work on research? It seems so slow in comparison to normal leveling. I'm just 25 as of now so nothing too fancy.
    Welcome back Guyarcher! I'm glad to hear you are enjoying yourself. I see you have several good ideas that have been posted for you to play around with and see what works best for you.

Happy Hunting!
    Guardian Valter
    Forums Team
    Community Relations Department
    Advisors of Rubi-Ka
    Forums Social Guidelines

Tons of ways to do it. Heck I've grinded all the level 1 research on noob isle before.

Quote Originally Posted by CoolRanch View Post
    I've grinded... <snip>
    There's our problem. Grinding by its nature isn't fun. If it was we wouldn't be calling it grinding, we'd be calling it something else. :\

Wouldn't mind seeing research being made less of a grind, whether at the lowest or highest end.
    :E

I came back to AO after LE, and had 2 220 chars without any Research done.. And thats a huge pain in the Ass... Its so time-cunsuming that i cba With Completing the Research on em when there`s only Inf missions to do. Hell Id even do Inf Hecks again, just to do another type of "grindfest", but as far as highend xp goes, Inf missions is the only way.. And 10 inf missions just to get 1 skill from 9 to 10 isnt my kind of fun...

Id start early, not at 25 perhaps, Unless twinking something, but slowly at lvl 100ish..
    Last edited by Xandathrii; Jun 18th, 2013 at 16:18:26.
    Opsund 220/30 Ma
    Xandathrii 220/30 Enf
    Vekten 220/30 Doc

Lifdrasil 100/10 Eng

Retired General of Ascension, enjoying my elder days and the end of AO in The Asylum.(Currently of-world , but comming back soon(TM)
    Stop the inflation and madness, support my Tier 4 crusade

Quote Originally Posted by Xandathrii View Post
    I came back to AO after LE, and had 2 220 chars without any Research done.. And thats a huge pain in the Ass... Its so time-cunsuming that i cba With Completing the Research on em when there`s only Inf missions to do. Hell Id even do Inf Hecks again, just to do another type of "grindfest", but as far as highend xp goes, Inf missions is the only way.. And 10 inf missions just to get 1 skill from 9 to 10 isnt my kind of fun...

Id start early, not at 25 perhaps, Unless twinking something, but slowly at lvl 100ish..
    Daily rewards are capped at 1/20th of a research level, so with Tower inspection/BS mission +Normal agency daily +Prisoner elite mission you can get one research a week roughly if you spend about 1h per day doing that, the low levels can be done on ado or Pen hecks if you like but normal inf mission mobs works well enough, just remember to switch to a high level research for the end reward. It's not *that* painful if you take a longer perspective.
    Last edited by Notcrattey; Today at 05:51:45. Reason: Didn't actually edit it, was a mistake!

Another thing to keep in mind is that the multi-step elite daily missions will often knock out 20-50% of a research line, depending on which one you're doing. That's how I handle most of the research from LE 2-6 on toons since it's relatively painless and you still can get the big hit from regular dailies if you want it.

AI levels, I do the dailies, LE missions, raids, to keep my AI level maxed, or close, until I hit roughly AI 16. That's a decent amount of perks for future twinking and lets you keep one of the champion lines (or both) high for the nanoskills or weapons boost. (After that I drop the daily missions because they bore me.)

But really, it's all personal preference.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogtrauma View Post
    Daily rewards are capped at 1/20th of a research level, so with Tower inspection/BS mission +Normal agency daily +Prisoner elite mission you can get one research a week roughly if you spend about 1h per day doing that, the low levels can be done on ado or Pen hecks if you like but normal inf mission mobs works well enough, just remember to switch to a high level research for the end reward. It's not *that* painful if you take a longer perspective.
    1/20th of a reserach Level? any reseach Level?
    But yes, Your right, looking at it like that feels a "bit" better, but still, repetative stuff, which is ok, but a bit bored of pris and the dailies 215+ atm... hehe
    Opsund 220/30 Ma
    Xandathrii 220/30 Enf
    Vekten 220/30 Doc

Lifdrasil 100/10 Eng

Retired General of Ascension, enjoying my elder days and the end of AO in The Asylum.(Currently of-world , but comming back soon(TM)
    Stop the inflation and madness, support my Tier 4 crusade

Quote Originally Posted by Xandathrii View Post
    1/20th of a reserach Level? any reseach Level?
    Yes, any research level, including 9 & 10s. But it's faster on a zero research 220 to do Scheol Hecks till lvl6, then Inf mishes / dailies for the rest.

220s "Wakizaka", "Sneakygank", "Wakimango", "Wakisolja", "Tardersauce", "Bushwaki", "Midgetgank", "Bugfixxx", "Ramsbottom", "Paskadoc"
    200s Chrisd, Malema, Delbaeth
    TL5s Youfail, Bugfixx, Riothamus, Johndee

Proud President of Haven | TL5 PvP