Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: SweetFX, because why not.

SweetFX, because why not.

Posting this here because I can embed screenies.

With the new engine, not only have (many of us) gotten a better performing game, and more built-in shiny effects (plus....ugg....FXAA....really guys? FXAA?), but with the move from DX7 to DX9, we also have the ability to use 3rd party software to make the game assets look a whole lot better - and lets face it, Michi and the crew don't have the time or funding to remake all of the game assets, so really, why not do what we can on our end?

One such piece of 3rd party software, which many of you may be familiar with, is called SweetFX - to put it simply, it's basically a piece of code that sits between the game and your GPU that adds in extra effects and fun little toys. It doesn't involve the modification of any of the game files or code, so A) it doesn't break the game in any way, and B) Doesn't break the TOS (for any other MMO out there - I do not know FCs policy, and if this thread is taken down, I will not argue)

Using SweetFX is actually pretty gosh darn simple:

Download the core files here: http://www.guru3d.com/files_details/..._download.html

Download the configurator here (not really necessary, but the easiest way to use it): http://sweetfx.thelazy.net/

Unzip the core files into the AO folder EXCEPT for dxgi.dll - it is only used for DX10/11, and will crash the game at the launcher - if you have issues, check to make sure you didn't accidentally unzip that file into the AO folder.

Open the configurator (unzip it wherever you want), and "Add new game" - navigate to the AO folder and select AnarchyOnline.exe. That's basically it, you are done.

However, if you start AO at this point, you won't see any difference, simply because you haven't enabled any effects yet. Now, if you are of a mind to, you could go through manually and create a wholly custom setup for AO - and I would love to see people do that (I personally am to lazy to actually do it). The easier way is to find a premade profile to use as a starting point, and then tweak from there.

You can find profiles here: https://sfx.thelazy.net/games/

To uninstall SweetFX, simply delete the files that you unzipped to the AO folder, simple as that.

Note, that for some reason the Anti-aliasing options are not currently working for me, but the ingame setting is tolerable (and less resource intensive anyway) for most users.

Any questions, ask them here - any custom profiles, post them here!

Currently, I am using the "Sweet, Subtle, and Sharp" profile for GW2, with only very minor tweaks to the ingame contrast and gamma to suit my taste - here are some screenies - vanilla on the left, SweetFX on the right.

-= Make the new engine look even better. Don't forget to post a screenshot! =-

Hum pretty nice, I will give this a try.
    Caloss2 LVL 220 melee VANGUARD (semi retired).....Llewlyn 220/30/70 meepmeep.....Boooocal 220../30/70 Soldier.......Knack 220/30/70 Keeper.....Hiesenberg 215/xx/xx NT NERFED Neytiri1 220/30/70 Shade Knacker220/30/70Meat shield
    https://www.youtube.com/user/caloss2 for guides/walkthroughs/letsplays and all your other AO needs
    Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta
    In my special design documents that I feed to the FC devs, who are my willing slaves.

I suggest trying age of conan and TSW profiles as they are the same engine.

Quote Originally Posted by doctorgore View Post
    I suggest trying age of conan and TSW profiles as they are the same engine.

Hmm...Well to be honest, engine has less to do with it than the game aesthetics - the general coloration, saturation, and atmosphere play a much bigger role in what you want SweetFX to do than the technical aspects really do. I know I'm using the GW2 profile, but a lot of the SciFi game profiles tend to be a lot more over-saturated and make AO look a bit cartoony. I'm not saying there aren't some great AoC and TSW profiles, but really you want to find one that aesthetically suits you - the game engine doesn't matter much (unless there is additional software required to get it working on specific games), what matters is how it effects the look of the game.

My way of thinking is that they are a good starting point of compatibility with our buggy unfinished client.

My way of thinking is that they are a good starting point of compatibility with our buggy unfinished client.
    Fair enough, but SweetFX doesn't care what engine the game is on. It sits between the engine and the GPU, and seldom causes any issues - typically the only issues you will see on the side of drivers. The worst I have ever seen it do is cause some artifacts, and after going through about 30 profiles, I haven't seen one that causes any in AO.

Anyway, yeah if you are unsure about it, try out TSW and AoC profiles first - if you like the aesthetics, go for it! If you don't, don't be afraid to try other profiles. At worst, you get artifacts and load a different one.

SMAA seems to work if you lower the injector settings for it.

SMAA seems to work if you lower the injector settings for it.
    So it does, thanks!

Just an fyi an updated version exists but is less user friendly. I am aware of it but have never gotten around to playing with it much.

http://reshade.me/

Just an fyi an updated version exists but is less user friendly. I am aware of it but have never gotten around to playing with it much.

http://reshade.me/
    Yeah I was aware of it too....and as you said, it is a lot less user friendly. There are some SweetFX profiles that use reshade as well, but, eh, for AO it doesn't seem worth the effort.

Ok reporting back on this, yes on my ips monitor it looks quite a lot better; and also using SMAA and turning off FXAA in game means I also got a +20% fps boost along with a smoother game world and sharper definition to everything in it.

Recommended.
    Caloss2 LVL 220 melee VANGUARD (semi retired).....Llewlyn 220/30/70 meepmeep.....Boooocal 220../30/70 Soldier.......Knack 220/30/70 Keeper.....Hiesenberg 215/xx/xx NT NERFED Neytiri1 220/30/70 Shade Knacker220/30/70Meat shield
    https://www.youtube.com/user/caloss2 for guides/walkthroughs/letsplays and all your other AO needs
    In my special design documents that I feed to the FC devs, who are my willing slaves.

looks nice. Callos, could you make vid with this + setup instructions? Pretty please!
    I like PvP
    TL6: Tereshkova 200 eng / Patrollerz 200 sol / Tankietka 200 NM enf / Pielegniarka 200 Tank Doc / Oleska 200 SOLIKeep
    TL5: Miazga 150 sol / Piknababa 150 NM Enf 2he / Gigantika 150 NM Enf / Malutki 150 Enf Trox WIP
    TL4: Ladyrazor 112 fixer (retired) / Shha 100 NT / Cycolina lvl 100 NM Enforcer
    + Tons of other chars...
    I make weird TwInkz!
    Signature updated: 29/06/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Pomidor View Post
    looks nice. Callos, could you make vid with this + setup instructions? Pretty please!
    I'm uploading a daily mission guide vid (eta about an hour) atm, where I'm actually using sweetfx, so you can see it in action; I will make a how-to video once I'm more versed and confident in it's usage though.

ok, managed to lunch it - I am supprised, because NewEngine is much more stable now, like MUCH more. Zoning, tabing, running ect. - 2hrs no crash.

And some sweet effects here:

I like PvP
    TL6: Tereshkova 200 eng / Patrollerz 200 sol / Tankietka 200 NM enf / Pielegniarka 200 Tank Doc / Oleska 200 SOLIKeep
    TL5: Miazga 150 sol / Piknababa 150 NM Enf 2he / Gigantika 150 NM Enf / Malutki 150 Enf Trox WIP
    + Tons of other chars...
    I make weird TwInkz!

Quote Originally Posted by Pomidor View Post
    ok, managed to lunch it - I am supprised, because NewEngine is much more stable now, like MUCH more. Zoning, tabing, running ect. - 2hrs no crash.

And some sweet effects here:

Where's the like button ?

++++ looks really good.

Hmm has anyone tried using ENB?
    Darkempire 220/30/70 Agent
    {edited by Anarrina: see me if you have questions}
    When specifically asked for positive words, responding with a personal attack is incredibly rude and inappropriate. Please do not repeat such behavior.
    Quote Originally Posted by nums214 View Post
    If my wife never got preggo omni wouldn't have lost their fields. 2009 is pretty much when I quit.

Quote Originally Posted by Alternity View Post
    Hmm has anyone tried using ENB?
    There's an ENB for AO ? I think it would violate the EULA though :/ sweetfx is simply modifying the way the graphics card renders the game, without altering any of the game files an ENB would be replacing game files ? as I understand them from Fall out 3 etc..

SweetFX in action.

I watched it like 3 minutes after it was online

Its important to turn off FXAA in-game, all looks sharp after this.
    I like PvP
    + Tons of other chars...
    I make weird TwInkz!

Why they used FXAA is beyond me.... I can't remember if aoc of tsw even used it anymore.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast