Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Letter from the Game Director

Sounds good.

On upgrading the graphics engine...aren't you building a new one for Conan and HiddenWorld?
    I don't know how much work would be involved in porting over the models to a new engine, and I'd hate to find my computer no longer capable of playing the game, because the system requirements just jumped from Win98, to XP/Vista plus 2Gig of RAM, but it's a thought. (Granted, my system could keep up, for awhile. It's a fairly new machine.)

The back end system will allow players to purchase points that can be used on our billing pages to purchase these booster packs

soo... our 15$ a month is for what then. I'm sorry but why are we paying a monthly fee and then for small content expansions on top of that.
    Whine more plz I feed on your tears

Ethernal- "Friends don't let friends infonet drunk"

My internet is waaaay faster than yours so you can suck my fiberoptic!

Quote Originally Posted by Kranden View Post
    The back end system will allow players to purchase points that can be used on our billing pages to purchase these booster packs

soo... our 15$ a month is for what then. I'm sorry but why are we paying a monthly fee and then for small content expansions on top of that.
    You have allways paid extra for expansions afaik...
    In this case you just dont have to pay as much, since the expansions are smaller.
    As has been mentioned several times in this thread, there will still be the usual free content updates. Post 7 from Sil in this thread for example...
    Mekhdoc 220/27/70 Equip | Mekh 220/28/67 Equip | Shadesch 220/21/70 Equip
    Mekhkeeper 220/22/70 Equip | Roflmao 220/15/50 | Fixyaself 200/23/64 Equip

Quote Originally Posted by Sean_Roach View Post
    Sounds good.

On upgrading the graphics engine...aren't you building a new one for Conan and HiddenWorld?
    I don't know how much work would be involved in porting over the models to a new engine, and I'd hate to find my computer no longer capable of playing the game, because the system requirements just jumped from Win98, to XP/Vista plus 2Gig of RAM, but it's a thought. (Granted, my system could keep up, for awhile. It's a fairly new machine.)
    I for one, hope that Funcom will drop Windows 98/ME support which would allow them to remove cruft code that is in all likelyhood pulling performance down for the rest of us. Heres a newsflash, both abovementioned OS versions have passed their end of life. They are no longer supported by the vendor. There is little reason why the majority of users should be punished by having the engine bogged down due to supporting ancient outdated OS versions.
    Lord "Khalem" Trevallien -=- Fixer Kingpin, proud officer and Loremaster of Ancarim Iron Legion
    Sir "Eoemar" Trevallien -=- Supreme Creator
    http://ao.shadow-realm.org/ - The Shadowlands Library -=- http://ai.shadow-realm.org/ - The Alien Invation library
    http://bebot.shadow-realm.org/ - BeBot - An Anarchy Online Chat Automaton
    http://aodevs.com/ - Anarchy Online 3rd party developers resource

"Frustration is not a good emotion when it comes to playing games."
    -- Former AO Game Director Marius Enge

Quote Originally Posted by Khalem View Post
    I for one, hope that Funcom will drop Windows 98/ME support which would allow them to remove cruft code that is in all likelyhood pulling performance down for the rest of us. Heres a newsflash, both abovementioned OS versions have passed their end of life. They are no longer supported by the vendor. There is little reason why the majority of users should be punished by having the engine bogged down due to supporting ancient outdated OS versions.
    Bump for that.... If you're STILL using win98 on your main computer you've got problems. Apart from using an outdated OS no one supports anymore.
    I made a reference to a fictional extra-terrestrial hive-mind race of beings collectively called Grthulox, and you need an indication that I'm not being completely serious?

[Infferno]: btw u are girl in rl or something ? To [Infferno]: nope To [Infferno]: 21 yo m [Infferno]: oki :> To [Infferno]: why? To [Infferno]: you wants cyb0rz? [Infferno]: stfu lol

Get to know the real Healyhatman at Healy's MySpace! Leave a comment!
    See the Healy the Atheist at The Enlightenment of the Healy - my Atheist Blog.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean_Roach View Post
    Sounds good.

AoC, and I assume Secret World also, use an upgraded version of the same engine AO uses now, the Dreamworld engine. Only completely rebuilt to modern standards.

As far as the requirements, as has been stated before by others as well as myself, there is no reason for Funcom to cause the game OR the majority of gamers to have to suffer because a few players can't or won't upgrade their hardware.

As for the OS issue, XP is the lowest Windows OS officially supported by Microsoft. Which means, not only are they a waste of time and resources to program around, but they are also a high security risk to not only the person running them but to others on the net as well.

Quote Originally Posted by WisebutCruel View Post
    They could even implement a CoX type deal, with a 1-2 second load screen as this happens, as missions would also benefit from the new setup, allowing more variety in mobs/location/props/etc.
    This is a AO gfx engine change...

I'd prefer to think more modern than the zoned architecture - refer to the zoneless seemless worlds of SWG and WoW, the only actual downtime for zoning are reserved for instanced maps.

The downside is that playability requirements are 1GB for memory with 2GB recommended - but that is progress for you.

Faster and more polygons should not be the end of the development road.
    "Do, or do not, there is no try."
    Guru, Finalizer, Eternalist, Dictator, SupremeCreator
    /wts dysfunctional family MoK, P51, CoN, SBI
    Comic Strip - BBar's Tales of the Tickle (Chap.3) ©2004

Quote Originally Posted by Bbar View Post
    This is a AO gfx engine change...

I'd prefer to think more modern than the zoned architecture - refer to the zoneless seemless worlds of SWG and WoW, the only actual downtime for zoning are reserved for instanced maps.

The downside is that playability requirements are 1GB for memory with 2GB recommended - but that is progress for you.

Faster and more polygons should not be the end of the development road.
    His comment was in reply to the lag inside instanced random missions
    Dont expect much change. With the system requirements too.

It will Only be a new engine. Even old computers could play HL2 if the maps were straight ports of HL1. Its the much higher poly count of the maps/models that brings the higher requirements. And their not porting it to a new engine and remodeling/mapping everything to higher polys, that would be like making an entire new game.

Though slowly as they said when they make New content after, they can take advantage of the new engines boosted abilities, which would be more detailed models for new gear they make, and higher quality effects. And since the engine will actually use the Vid cards GPU, chances are, it will still on older systems, use less resources. Unless your using some onboard Intel video card, and not an Nvidia or ATI card (even if its 5 years old).
    Last edited by Krause; Jun 29th, 2007 at 14:35:32.
    Krause Equip

*** Krause's Evil WTB Thread! (Weird/Odd Stuff) ***
    (Items like "Lost Faith/Hope", "Wreath of Insects", "Chirop Exoskeleton Wing Mesh", "Small Jar", "Old Barrel")
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    This is going to get done if it kills me or preferably someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by WisebutCruel View Post
    As far as the requirements, as has been stated before by others as well as myself, there is no reason for Funcom to cause the game OR the majority of gamers to have to suffer because a few players can't or won't upgrade their hardware.
    No doubt.

If there are more than a dozen people playing AO on 6 year old systems, I'ld be supprised. FFS they give away free computers where I'm from that are 100x better than 6 year old systems when you sign up for adsl.
    why Why WHY ?!?!?!

I have just one comment to add to this:

AO is not dead <3

(This might've been said before ofc.)

Sil, seems you've invigorated the AO project

again, i vote for not paying rl money for virtual items. now, some people might say we pay for the expansion and not the items, whereas it's true in some degree, it's also not correct, because the pack contains items for the most part (like that hoverboard pack). anyway, if FC is going to keep this idea running, perhaps it is better if you actually ERASE the subscription fee, so people can play for free, and if they want to buy expansion pack or virtual items, then it's the only fee they are going to pay. otherwise, imho, either people will not buy the pack/items or people will stop playing ao anymore.

ideas are always refreshing at first, but before making any decision, better make a good estimation, and this forum is a good way to LISTEN to the users.

ciao,
    zirca

You do know without the additional payment for the packs, in all liklyhood we simply wouldnt get the additional content they would be making at all, since im sure they are putting the extra work into AO now planning on the extra income from the booster packs.
    Krause Equip

(Items like "Lost Faith/Hope", "Wreath of Insects", "Chirop Exoskeleton Wing Mesh", "Small Jar", "Old Barrel")

Quote Originally Posted by Silirrion View Post
    Firstly we are very glad to announce that we will be moving Anarchy Online to a totally new server environment in the near future. The game will be moved onto brand new server and database hardware. This will bring the games live environment right up there with the best technology currently available that will help us ensure we can keep the game running for many years to come.

[...]

Next up, also looking to the long-term future of the game, I’d like to cover something that we have alluded to several times in the past and confirm that we are currently starting work on upgrading the rendering engine for the game.
    zomg!

LOl i apy enough for the game as it is, so ill pass on annoying back tot eh future rip off and glorified SL yalms.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wakizaka View Post
    I can hit 2k clit (had to say it pala) without resets or tutoring device and I'm not a clit blessed class. I like it
    Spankmeister--> 208 engie TSer
    Cytrate--> 140 Enfo tanker
    thats all the interesting ones.
    Wickid Intent on Rimor
    Sig Pic

Quote Originally Posted by zirca View Post
    again, i vote for not paying rl money for virtual items. now, some people might say we pay for the expansion and not the items, whereas it's true in some degree, it's also not correct, because the pack contains items for the most part (like that hoverboard pack). anyway, if FC is going to keep this idea running, perhaps it is better if you actually ERASE the subscription fee, so people can play for free, and if they want to buy expansion pack or virtual items, then it's the only fee they are going to pay. otherwise, imho, either people will not buy the pack/items or people will stop playing ao anymore.

ideas are always refreshing at first, but before making any decision, better make a good estimation, and this forum is a good way to LISTEN to the users.

ciao,
    zirca
    You guys are hilarious. Not just this post, but all the ones that keep asking for free crap. FC isn't a charity! After reading this, I think I'm going to go to the Miller Lite forums and demand free beers. Giev Plx!!!111!!!

If you don't want a bike, don't buy it. I want one, so I'll be buying one. FC will then use my money to fund a server upgrade which will save AO. What's not to like or understand?
    Causes:
    Make the battlestation a reality for all levels!
    FC, we need Noob Island fixed!
    Go go Godzilla! (Please)
    Amateur CoH Chest Detective
    Temporarily out of game due to XBL. I shall return.

KAES
    Breakdown: Achiever 53.33%, Explorer 46.67%, Killer 60.00%, Socializer 40.00%.

Quote Originally Posted by Spankmeister View Post
    LOl i apy enough for the game as it is, so ill pass on annoying back tot eh future rip off and glorified SL yalms.
    And thats the beauty of it.

Normally an Xpac would be the combined new SL zones, the vehicle's and 1-2 other things that would come after it, and it would take combined like 1.5 years to come out, and cost like $30, instead, you can get them as they come out and only the things you like.

Whats would be the difference if LE came in segments for like $3-$10 each, and one of them was the mechs. Would people complain that your buying the right to use some items, even though, essentially its the exact same thing?
    Krause Equip

Quote Originally Posted by Krause View Post
    Whats would be the difference if LE came in segments for like $3-$10 each, and one of them was the mechs. Would people complain that your buying the right to use some items, even though, essentially its the exact same thing?

What are you? blind? I think it's pretty obvious by this point in the thread that they would

Seriously though, if this works as advertised it's ok. If on the other hand you'll have to start paying for items to be viable ingame with real cash I'm out of here the second it happens.

FC is walking a fine line with this one. I just hope they've got sense enough to not screw up...

Quote Originally Posted by Nesteric View Post
    What are you? blind? I think it's pretty obvious by this point in the thread that they would

Seriously though, if this works as advertised it's ok. If on the other hand you'll have to start paying for items to be viable ingame with real cash I'm out of here the second it happens.

FC is walking a fine line with this one. I just hope they've got sense enough to not screw up...
    Yea i know they would, thats the point im trying to make.

Its the same thing BUT its peoples own incorrect perception of it that is the problem, not their plan.

If someone doesn't have a problem with the Xpack model, but the Booster pack one, which i pointed out in the end, are the same, then its the person who is at fault for not having a brain that functions well enough to be able to see that.

Personally I hope things like the vehicle pack isnt something you buy and then have instant access to, atleast not to all of them. Things ingame dont feel special unless you have to work for them. Thats why I love my Stiletto so much.
    Last edited by Krause; Jun 29th, 2007 at 17:57:47.
    Krause Equip

The small packs are an excellent idea. It gives a high value of freedom to choose the content which you prefer. Personally I could live without the vehicle pack probably, whereas a pack oriented around PvP I would definetly buy.

I applaud the direction FC and Silirrion is taking AO, and I also think it says something about their belief in the game that they will move it to brand new servers and start work on updating the rendering engine. I think it's a statement of how strong a brand AO must be - while FC provides us all with a game to enjoy, they would never move into a project of this magnitude if they didn't believe it financially sound. A lifespan of more than 6 years in the gaming world is rare and the upgrades suggested in this letter might make AO one of the pioneers amongst long lasting online games.

/Av'
    Avari 220/30/80 - Araghos 220/30/80 - Shishido 220/30/7x - Araninn 220/30/80

Quote Originally Posted by Tergx
    If one of the few traders are PvPing around you and land GTH on you, take a trip to decon and it will be gone. What's the big deal hehe.

It depends on the pricing.
    If we get no more additional content than a handful of items that otherwise could have gone into the veterans shop during a normal patch...then I don't se myself paying 2/3-3/4 the cost of a full expansion like we did for Notum Wars (which was a booster pack, not an expansion.)

Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast