Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Monthly Development Update - 3rd September 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Gatester View Post
    I wasn't trying to be snarky or anything, but my reply was not so much about the purpose of beta testing either. It was more along the lines of allowing people to beta test is not really a reward The worst part is the closed beta won't even allow you to import your characters, so you have to start completely fresh in an environment that is likely buggy and broken.

Some might enjoy it, but anyone thinking they would get to joy ride in a world of enhanced AO graphics is going to be disappointed and likely miss the entire point of participating in the testing.
    I got the point, really I did.

Perhaps reward wasn't the best choice of words, but I still think it's mean spirited and short sighted of FC to lock everyone but the current subscribers out of testing the thing that so many of us have been waiting for half of this game's lifetime for. It really sucks when you support a company for more than a decade only to be treated like a poor relation as soon as you stop subscribing. This 'what have you done for me lately' attitude smacks of greed and utter contempt for customer loyalty.

Honestly, I don't even know why I bothered to complain. It's not like slapping a new coat of paint on what is essentially an utterly broken (from my perspective anyway) gameplay experience would be enough to get me to play again, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta View Post
    I just want you all to know that I love you
    Awww, i love you too Mastablasta
    There he is !
    Where ?
    There !
    What, behind the leet ?
    It is the leet !
    You silly Sod.
    What?
    You got us all worked up.
    Well, thats no ordinary leet !
    Ohh.
    That's the most foul, cruel, and bad-tempered rodent you ever set eyes on !
    You tit! I soiled my armour I was so scared!
    Look, that leet's got a vicious streak a mile wide! It's a killer!

someting from a chat bot

guest: yo guys ther is Downtime for Maintenance - 17th of September
    The Anarchy Online servers will come down for maintenance at 8:00am EDT / 12:00 UTC.
    The downtime is scheduled to last about 1 hour.

Member1: what get patched ?

Member2: i had heared the ICC Keeper goes Ely tear away the kitehill

Member1: lol

Member3: top^^ then got the players something to work to get level in ely, as in past ingot times^^

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. [attributed to Albert Einstein]

Quote Originally Posted by Luminita View Post
    Honestly, I don't even know why I bothered to complain. It's not like slapping a new coat of paint on what is essentially an utterly broken (from my perspective anyway) gameplay experience would be enough to get me to play again, anyway.
    The engine is not a new coat of paint. If you think that, you missed all things FC stated about the purpose of the new engine.

Also, except a few assets that really needed updating, the new engine will not even bring a new coat of paint.
    ----------------------------
    Showing why AO forum is not to be trusted - on S10 inflation

Quote Originally Posted by Raggy View Post
    Multiple players in my org can make 200-300m maybe even 400m depending on lucky drops in 2 hours of farming the place. If you cannot see this as being an issue, then I don't know how to help you.

Quote Originally Posted by Khlin View Post
    text.....

, you missed all things FC stated about the purpose of the new engine.
    An engine is fresh paint (sort off)... What else can it be? Could you +sum(x;y) it up please...
    To Equip User Faction == Neutral

Quote Originally Posted by Aimzor View Post
    An engine is fresh paint (sort off)... What else can it be? Could you +sum(x;y) it up please...
    The ability to actually run on new(er) hardware.
    Mekhdoc 220/27/70 Equip | Mekh 220/28/67 Equip | Shadesch 220/21/70 Equip
    Mekhkeeper 220/22/70 Equip | Roflmao 220/15/50 | Fixyaself 200/23/64 Equip

Quote Originally Posted by Mekh View Post
    The ability to actually run on new(er) hardware.
    Haha, we'll see about that one...
    To Equip User Faction == Neutral

The previous director did it better than I could (Monthly Development Update – Dec 3rd 2012) -

Quote Originally Posted by Ilaliya
    I also want to take the time to briefly reiterate some things that I've previously said. The new engine gives us three major things:

Performance (utilizes GPUs)... and I have to say, I get a higher framerate with the new engine than the old engine.
    DX9 features -- this is stuff like shadows, lighting, god-rays, and so forth.
    The capability to have more detailed assets (buildings, characters, etc).
    Plus -

Quote Originally Posted by Genele View Post
    Just to clarify: 18.7 will be a large patch containing NPE, Engine Beta, the mentioned phasefront update neutral vendor changes, some Itemshop goodies, removal of some of the outdoor cities ++.
    So (in theory), not only will the game look better, it will run better on your computer. And with the 18.7 patch everything is arriving at once in a big explosion of AO goodness. Also, In the current thread whompha changes are mentioned (tied to removal of outdoor cities I presume).

I would hope that Steam integration follows on from 18.7, and we get actual new players as well!

Phew!
    'Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.'

Fhinn, TL7 Neutral Gunslinger // Countinn, TL5 Neutral Trader
    Sleekitt TL5 Clan Fixer

Shattered Dreams, of ye olde RK2 Recruitment thread

FC is replacing the game's rendering engine - meaning:
    - a newer up-to-date technology that will recognize new hardware and that can use the DirectX 9 (hopefully we'll get to see Directx 11 support at some point in the future)
    - improving the game's performance on newer computers (no more graphics lag or stuttering)
    - updates on the world building tools for AO which I hope it makes it easy to fix stuff like invisible walls, holes in solid ground
    - hopefully, making it easier to update existing PFs or to create new PFs and content
    - existing game assets may look a bit prettier
    - much better looking Easter eggs (MELONS!)

What it will not happen:
    - no new graphical assets except the must-have assets updates where it may look truly ****ty
    - no updates to existing graphical resources

If I remember correctly, only grass, water and sky will receive an overhaul.

Yes, the world might look prettier, but you need to remember that what you will see are actually the decade-old resources.

Multiple players in my org can make 200-300m maybe even 400m depending on lucky drops in 2 hours of farming the place. If you cannot see this as being an issue, then I don't know how to help you.

Quote Originally Posted by TharBeDragons View Post
    Well...

EDIT: *sigh* already getting questions about it on youtube so here it goes.
    This video is not made by Funcom. This map is not made by Funcom.
    It is a map of Borealis I was making in CryENGINE 2 editor (Sandbox 2).
    So, when are you making an improved AO version? A "by the players and for the players" sort of thing. Where sci-fi really means sci-fi and there's usable spaceships, tanks and stuff like that.

I'd rather pay 10$ for that than for AO hehe
    Protektor- Engydoggy- Spydoggy- RealMadrid - Some others.
    Rolling around RK since Dec 2001.
    ¡Se habla español!

Quote Originally Posted by Khlin View Post
    FC is replacing the game's rendering engine - meaning:
    - a newer up-to-date technology that will recognize new hardware and that can use the DirectX 9 (hopefully we'll get to see Directx 11 support at some point in the future)
    - improving the game's performance on newer computers (no more graphics lag or stuttering)
    - updates on the world building tools for AO which I hope it makes it easy to fix stuff like invisible walls, holes in solid ground
    - hopefully, making it easier to update existing PFs or to create new PFs and content
    - existing game assets may look a bit prettier
    - much better looking Easter eggs (MELONS!)

What it will not happen:
    - no new graphical assets except the must-have assets updates where it may look truly ****ty
    - no updates to existing graphical resources

If I remember correctly, only grass, water and sky will receive an overhaul.

Yes, the world might look prettier, but you need to remember that what you will see are actually the decade-old resources.
    Except it won't make a difference to the tools being used why would it? It's just the rendering engine of the client after all.
    Existing gam assets will look slightly better.

Loads of new graphical assets have been created, including updated models for nearly all buildings in Tir and Omni One. Many updated other resources for stuff that is used generously throughout.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Quote Originally Posted by User1337 View Post
    So, when are you making an improved AO version? A "by the players and for the players" sort of thing. Where sci-fi really means sci-fi and there's usable spaceships, tanks and stuff like that.

I'd rather pay 10$ for that than for AO hehe
    I was gonna just go ahead after some in NKB wanted to help with assets, also a rl friend, then when the first bit of server framework was on Github, literally everyone shied away. Really gotta pay people I guess.
    I'll try HeroEngine for the giggles soonish but after 2 attempts I cba to gather people anymore.

Reading the concept and story draft again these days, I'm actually too embarassed to post them publicly, lol, not because its bad but kinda developerish. Its pretty much what youre looking for though. Was gonna play in 2077

If you really wanna though, just ask people; they all wanna do that but I s**k giving that last bit of motivation to get to work.
    Diverje 220/30 Fix Screw evades these days.
    Acetoxy 220/22 NT
    Ephedrae 220/20 Agent

Except it won't make a difference to the tools being used why would it? It's just the rendering engine of the client after all.
    Existing gam assets will look slightly better.

Loads of new graphical assets have been created, including updated models for nearly all buildings in Tir and Omni One. Many updated other resources for stuff that is used generously throughout.
    iirc they said they had to update their building tools at some point to make it compatible with the new engine.

And yes, I know that assets got upgrades... but at the size of AO, it's not going to be a full revamp. And the assets are the ones that make the difference in terms of eye candy.
    Last edited by Khlin; Sep 17th, 2013 at 21:00:48.

Build tool, would be the tool that builds the client. A.e. compiles the codebase and makes it all run.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

Build tool, would be the tool that builds the client. A.e. compiles the codebase and makes it all run.
    Ahhh... Then that's totally something else. As they say... assumption is the mother of all {mess}-ups.

Still, I do remember them saying the new engine allowing them to build nicer things...
    Last edited by Anarrina; Sep 20th, 2013 at 14:14:06. Reason: obscenity

Yea, they are able to craft more detailed environments and items.
    The Red Brotherhood

Quote Originally Posted by Luminita View Post
    I got the point, really I did.

Perhaps reward wasn't the best choice of words, but I still think it's mean spirited and short sighted of FC to lock everyone but the current subscribers out of testing the thing that so many of us have been waiting for half of this game's lifetime for. It really sucks when you support a company for more than a decade only to be treated like a poor relation as soon as you stop subscribing. This 'what have you done for me lately' attitude smacks of greed and utter contempt for customer loyalty.

Kind of like "what good are you now" kind of feeling? I can see that but I don't think I would even give some of FC that much credit. That would assume they even considered most of their playerbase, past and present, to begin with. I wouldn't trust more than our devs and ARKs to have any concern for us on this sort of level.

Quote Originally Posted by Anarrina View Post
    Quite a few people should read this post and remind themselves that neither froob accounts nor unpaid accounts are supposed to be posting here. Stating you belong to one of those groups is not a good idea for your account status.
    Oh, i didnt knew that.
    Im sorry and i promise not to post again here.
    There was this thought, i would be welcome because i payed 8 years a monthly fee - the expensive donating way to support your company - but that was obviously wrong.
    Now, that my subscribtion is idle for some time already, i wont have a chance to participate in the CB nor am i allowed to post here at all.

/shrug

As a customer i can say, that you recived my CB application and im going to resubscribe that day, when you send me the CB invite.
    You have already reached the maximum number of allowed accounts
    You are not allowed to create any new accounts

Seems to be a lot of questions here -- 15 pages worth -- and no FC employees posting answers. Perhaps another "Your Voice - Answered Questions" thread is in order?

fc employees crawled under the rocks and dont like to awnser questions .

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast