Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Silverado's little DD guide

Silverado's little DD guide

Long overdue,

I meant to post this some time ago, but anyways here it is:

Silverado's Little DD Guide

This guide contains information on how to maximize the damage potential of our lovely engineer profession

Many people underestimate the damage potential us engineers have, but having 3 sources of steady damage can turn out to be quite deadly actually.

I'll split this guide in 3 parts:

-Robots
    -Engineers at mid levels
    -Engineers at higher levels

Robots:

The most important things to consider here are called "trimmers"
    Trimmer - Divert Energy to Offense (temporary, has to be refreshed every 5mins)
    Trimmer - Positive Aggressive-Defensive (permanent)

Both these trimmers improve the damage done by your robots, and they can be rolled as mission reward or bought in shops

There is also the Aggression Trimmer that makes our robots taunt. QL200 Trimmer Casings can be purchased at the yutto vendors in Penumbra (permanent)

Once your robots are nice and trimmed, you will also want to buff them with damage enhancing nanos

Engineer pet damage boost buffs:

These can be bought in shops
    Assist Combat Array
    Monitor Combat Array
    Enhance Combat Array
    Boost Combat Array
    Overdrive Combat Array
    Assist Aggression Subsystem

These are dyna boss loot only
    Monitor Aggression Subsystem
    Enhance Aggression Subsystem
    Boost Aggression Subsystem
    Overdrive Aggression Subsystem
    Omni-Pol Pacification Logic System

Engineer Pet Snare Auras:

Intrusive Aura of Entanglement can be bought in basic shop
    Intrusive Aura of Binding
    Intrusive Aura of Malaise can be purchased in Adonis Garden
    Intrusive Aura of Sloth
    Intrusive Aura of the Humble Servant

The rest are dyna loot only

And then there's our special nano:
    Shield of the Obedient Servant which drops off the Obediency Enforcer in EFP, spawned by PH (Obediency Inspector, 15min respawn time)

Those nanoprograms may only be executed on your robots, but you can also use the ones that benefit the engineer himself on them

Weapon Enhancement general nano
    Entropy Weapon rollable as mission reward

And then there's also our own damage auras which benefit our robots

Sympathetic Arms Enhancement
    Sympathetic Entropy Infusion

As a small bonus, you may also use

Martial Arts Expertise
    Composite Attribute Boost

For an additional +23 extra AR
    Last edited by Silverado; Feb 6th, 2006 at 14:02:55.
    Silverado: L220 Omni Engineer (Rimor)
    Equipment - Screenshot

Silverado's Little DD Guide for Engineers

Silverino: L213 Omni Soldier (Rimor)
    Equipment - Screenshot

Silverino's How to Equip a QL300 KMP5 for Soldiers

Engineers at mid levels (130-190)

Besides our robots, engineers themselves can have a pretty good damage output

Weapon Choice:

For lower levels, our best weapon choice will always be pistol, or at least that is the weapon i'll be using in this guide

Some good pistols are:

Customized IMI Desert Reet 1000 Very nice weapon with fast burst + fling recharges and no MBS. Drops from Foreman's Office which now has a lvl 100- restriction or Notum Soldier (according to reports from Knowledge Database). Does fire damage
    Solar-Powered Machinist Pistol Tradeskill pistol which requires several processes to build, works well paired with the CDR. Does fire damage
    Flux Pistol Slow but powerful, drops off SL sided mobs. Does chemical damage
    Sentient Corrosion Sprayer Nice pistol with burst that works well paired with a Flux Pistol. Does chemical damage

Quote Originally Posted by CarbonCopy
    I found Customized IMI Desert Reet 1000 (CDR)/Engineer Pistol pairing particularly effective in the low to mid level ranges (QL40-QL179: Mender, Mechanic, and Machinist). Since both do fire damage, you can load up on the best fire Aruls and Ring of Power-Elements you can equip to stack the damage bonuses.
    Buffing Pistol:

There's a few items that can help us equip higher QL pistols:

MTI SW500 Lux adds +20 to pistol, can be dualwielded and hotswapped to equip your main gun (rollable as mission reward)
    MTI SW500 Geyser Same gun, higer QL, better bonuses (rollable at exactly lvl 180)
    First/Second Tier Engineer Gloves +9 to +27 depending on QL (upgrade from Basic Jobe Suit, here's a guide to make T1)
    Allyssas' Ballistic Boots +15, Omni only (from Empath Alyssa in Penumbra Redeemed Temple)
    Carlos' Danger Boots +15, Clan only (from Carlos in Penumbra Unredeemed Temple, i suppose)
    Omni Special Issue Grey Clothing +12 for a full set (guide)
    Light Distance/Ranged Weapons Guide +2 to +4 depending on QL (from certain sided mobs in SL)
    Cama/Vanya's Pearl of the Left Brain +3 to pistol and all ranged skills (from Cama/Vanya in the respective Penumbra sided temple)
    Ring of Divine Teardrops Agi/Sense trickledown (drops from scheol catacombs)
    Personalized Basic Robot Brain +15 to sense for trickledown (guide)
    Artillery Crepuscule Leather Sleeve x2 (guide)

Quote Originally Posted by CarbonCopy
    Allyssas' Ballistic Boots +15, Omni only (from Empath Alyssa in Penumbra Redeemed Temple
    Carlos' Danger Boots +15, Clan only (from Carlos in Penumbra Unredeemed Temple, i suppose)

Are usable by Neutrals as well
    As for nanoprograms:
    Extreme Prejudice (our very own pistol buff) +120
    Pistol Mastery (from soldiers) +40
    Composite Ranged Expertise (general nano) +20
    Feline Grace (from agents) +25 agility
    Enhanced Senses (from agents too) +15 sense
    Composite Attribute Boost +12 to all attributes
    Team Skill Wrangler (Premium) (from traders) +132 to pistol and all weapon + nano skills

And let's not forget our perks
    Pistol Mastery 8 (+115)
    Champion of Light Artillery 10 (+100)

And our Control Symbiants which also add to pistol (hand, eye), agility (waist, thigh, feet) and sense (brain, chest, waist).

It is recomended that the right-wrist and right-arm slots are for custom made implants including pistol/burst/fling, because our control symbiants dont buff those specials

Buffing Multi-ranged:

This part is especially useful if you're dual wielding Flux Pistols OR using Flux Pistol + Sentinent Corrosion Sprayer (for maximizing the effects of the Arul Saba Bracelets) and is my personal recomendation for this level range

Juggler's Treat +10, from subway
    Ring of Crawling Ants +21, from doing Jack the Legchopper's quest
    Gloves of Azure Reveries +16, from the mercenaries in EFP
    Artillery Crepuscule Leather Sleeve x2 (guide)

And let's not overlook

Composite Ranged Special Expertise (1 hour) +20, from general nanos shop

You will also want to use temporary multi-ranged implants, in the eye and both wrists

We also get the multi wield perks
    Ambidextrous
    Counterweight

Damage Enhancing Gadgets:

There's a few items we must know about that can really boost our damage

Bracelets of Arul Saba depending on your level and damage type
    Rings of Power from RK missions loot
    Rockcrusher Gauntlets from TotW
    Barrow Strength from TotW
    Might of the Revenant from IS
    Add All Off Clusters from the vendor in Jobe Market
    Add Damage Clusters from the vendor in Jobe Market, you'll especially want the bright one (left wrist)

HUD Upgrade: Enhanced Target Acquisition from TIM in foreman's office and General Kronilis in PW, especially useful with Flux Pistols
    Omni-Tek Steel-Ribbed Armor very nice armor that comes from hacking steel ribbed armor and omnifiying it. Adds to ranged init, especially useful with Flux Pistols (omni only)
    Apocalypse Leather Armor very nice armor that comes from hacking leather armor and clanalizing it. Adds to ranged init, especially useful with Flux Pistols (clan and neutral)
    Predator's Circlet from hacking a Predator Facemask, from Predators in Elysium. Adds +1% crit chance and a bit of ranged init.
    Collar Casero de la Cripta from CoH, very nice item if you're neutral or dont have any tokens yet. Adds to ranged init, especially useful with Flux Pistols.
    Flags of Glory and Redemption or Double Sun depending on your side. Adds damage and AR**

*Some of the items in this guide are not easy to get and you will most likely need help from orgmates to get them

**It is very advisable that you get the 1k board before you reach level 200. I'd personally advice doing missions for tokens at level 195 which is when you'll get the top pet AR buff for the 200 slayer and the 180 dog (which means more damage = faster missions) and you'll also get more tokens per mission. Some people also advice doing missions for tokens at level 130 to fill the gap between Elysium and Adonis.
    Last edited by Silverado; Aug 16th, 2006 at 05:40:15.
    Equipment - Screenshot

Equipment - Screenshot

Engineers at high levels

For those of you who are high levels, have more resources and access to some certain high-end area

Weapon Choice

Our weapon choice this time will undoubtly be Kyr'Ozch Pistols - Type 1 and 4

Since the multi ranged requirement in these babies is too high past QL200, we will have to settle for equipping a QL300 in our main hand and a QL199 in off hand. Equipping off hand pistols above QL200 is doable but it takes alot of effort for a little difference

The Type 1 pistol will typically outperform the Type 4 because of the much faster fling shot recharge (6sec @ 1k fling shot skill), you will be firing 3 fling shots faster than you can fire 1 burst. That is of course until you reach a burst skill of around 1300 (17sec recharge), then the Type 4 pistol will start outperforming the Type 1

UPDATE: It is also worth noting that the Kyr'Ozch Energy Carbine - Type 5 is also an excellent option for PvM DD. The KEC5 has impressive min damage which means both higher bursts and flingshots, as well as a faster burst recharge compared to the KP4 (10 secs less) which makes it a great choice. The downside however is that RE is a much harder skill to buff than pistol, meaning you could equip a ql300 pistol relatively early (211-213) while equipping a ql300 KEC5 is only doable at high end (219+). That doesn't mean you can't go with a lower QL (275) KEC5 though, and with high enough burst/fling skills it will outperform the pistols

I shall also add that nanomages have a huge advantage when equipping a QL300 KEC5 (int trickledown), and i'd dare to say they are currently the BEST choice not only for tradeskills, but also for PvM damage (though that might change with LE)

Going the RE route will also open the possibility to use a Kyr'Ozch Energy Carbine - Type 3 for PvP

Buffing Pistol:

We get access to some nice neat little buffing items that aren't accessible at lower levels

Besides the items already listed in the mid level guide:

Engineer NICS from a shop in Jobe Plaza, costs around 30m (+9 to pistol)
    Chosen Engineer Gloves adds +36 at QL300
    Quick-Draw Holster of Aries from Pandemonium, you'll be ninjabidding these off advys and it goes for pretty cheap (+20 to pistol)
    Aim of Libra from Pandemonium, very sought after item especially by MAs because of the crit bonus. It's usually more expensive and you might have to put some IP in SI to equip it (+20 to pistol, +20 sense for trickledown)
    Urbane Pants of Libra from Pandemonium, usually goes for cheap (+10 to pistol)
    Maar's Yellow Belt of Double Speed from The Night Heart in Pandemonium (+50 agi/sense trickledown)
    Fly Catcher's Specs from HI (+20 sense trickledown)

Buffing Ranged Energy:

(Credit for this section goes to Blckknight, Excellent PvPer on Rimor)

Heavy Bracer (+20, from Scratching Soul Dredge in Adonis)
    Heavy Notum Tank Armor (+12, from Peter Lee in EFP)

Then the nanos:
    Nano Crystal (LR Energy Weapon Mastery) (+70, from soldiers)
    Nano Crystal (LR Energy Weapon Expertise) (+20, not included in composites)

And perks:
    Power Up 8 (+115)
    Champion of Heavy Artillery 10 (+100)
    Genius 3 (+40 to int/psy trickledown)

You'll also have to use high QL implants in head, eye and left hand. With high enough skills the QL250 implants will raise to above 260, or you can ask a fixer to blitz QL275 implants which will become close to QL290 once finished

Buffing Both:

Enthusiastic Spirit Helper of the Leo from Pandemonium, nice NCU that buffs ranged weapon skills (+5)
    Armplates of Elimination from The Beast (+30)
    First Creation of the Sagittarius from Pandemonium, not too rare or expensive (+10)
    Subspace Storage Device from inferno, very rare item that can also be upgraded through certain tradeskill process (+12)
    Cama/Vanya's Pearl of the Left Brain from Cama/Vanya in the respective Penumbra sided temple (+3, can be worn in multiple spots and it's not unique)
    Smooth Gold Alloy Ring from HI (+3)
    Medium Distance/Ranged Weapons Guide (+2-4 depending on QL)

There's also the Guardian Conductor of Ransacking from shops or tradeskill processes, just go to your org's tower site and plant it, adds to pistol and all ranged skills (bonus depending on QL of the tower and site)

And since we're on the high levels, we can get an Umbral Wrangler (Premium) (+153)

Damage Enhancing Gadgets:

Besides those already listed in the mid level guide:

Targeting Scope - Vision Enhancer rollable as mission reward, fixers can blitz up to ql275.
    Living Dragonflesh Body Armor from Tarasque in Camelot, remember we have a nice little buff to equip this
    Globes of Clarity from Tarasque in Camelot, nice if you like scoring critical hits
    Aquarius's Multitask Calculator from Pandemonium, nice item that adds critical chance
    ObiTom's Nano Calculator from upgrading Aquarius's Multitask Calculator with a Notum Amplification Coil from APF.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGovernment
    And for high levels you might want to mention a Viral Targeting Subunit as an alternate targeting scope (the best when PvM damage is all that matters).
    And since you mentioned Tarasque there is the (not so) ubiquitous RBP.

P.S. If you have access to a ql 200+ tower base, a Sentient Corrosive Turret will boost your projectile damage quite nicely.
    We can also use some perks besides Pistol Mastery that will boost our damage

Quote Originally Posted by muha
    From DD perspective I think the best is:

Regular Perks: after 8 perks in Pistol Mastery and 10 in Bio Shielding (yes, not pure DD, but the best perk IMHO), I suggest 8 in Power Up. Although the specials will never land, it's still +damage modifier, and Energize for 1/4 of the time is great. Following that I'd go with 10 Shotgun Mastery, again for pure +damage. This leaves one with 4 perks, I find 2 in Genius and 1 in Cartographer usefull, or maybe Enhance DNA.

AI Perks: 10 in Champion of Light Artillery, 10 in Champion of Nano Combat (again, not pure DD, but usefull), and frankly, I have no idea what to do with the next 10. Well, 3 in Alien Technology Expertise, so next 7.
    And last but not least, there's the very uber combined armor. Since this is a DD guide i'll be recommending Combined Commando's which adds to all weapon skills, addalloff and damage. Only by using this armor it will be possible to get multi-ranged high enough to equip a QL220 pistol in off hand or equipping a QL300 KEC5
    Last edited by Silverado; Aug 16th, 2006 at 05:39:47.
    Equipment - Screenshot

Equipment - Screenshot

Right wrist symbiant also adds to pistol. You didn't mention this because you'll be advertising an implant with burst and fling, but still.
    Guvernu RK 1 engineer... bored with SKing (already ffs)
    equip

Very nice work so far silver. Keep it up.
    ** I don't do typo's, I am just testing your knowledge of Vocabulary.
    ** How do you know you cannot achieve something if you never personally try it?
    Zzart 207 NM Eng
    SoldierZzart 220 Atrox Soldier

Nice post Silver! Just one little thing to add: the effect of positive agg-def trimmer is not exactly permanent - it needs to be refreshed every time you zone (unless it has been fixed, but I don't think so). I'm sure you knew that, but I thought it would be good to add to this otherwise very usefull post

Great post,

Add this to Useful References threads plx

Also you may like to add The AI trimmers which can be useful for dmg output if you can recast your pets every 10 minutes.

(keep spare shell, after the 10 minute buff duration term pet and recast new pet.)

Remember the Skill lock is on the pet not on the engie.

They should just make AI trimmers 10 minutes / 10 minutes recharge imo (save us some nano points and creds)
    Freshman Lord "Guojia" Buffbegsalot
    220 Neutral Solitus Engineer "Supreme Creator"
    First Neutral Engineer to reach Enlightenment Of Anarchy Online

-= Just Visiting =-

something on grenades?

:P - something on grenades would be nice, to provide a guide to our second-popular weapon option. I particularly use this - although I wish there was sound on Kyr'Ozch weapons

Awesome guide!
    [[ RYUAHN | 220/21 Opifex Trader
    == Proud Member of Core ==
    [[ ALASTROPHE | 220/15 Solitus Martial-Artist

Quote Originally Posted by Raggy View Post
    There is literally nothing wrong with {Shutdown Skills} in it's current incarnation. What should be being looked at is the reason why it's needed so much. E.g, the incredible amount of Alpha being thrown around and the fickleness of Evade profs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cratertina View Post
    I walk in to BS... could not perk people... with 3704 AR and 300 AAD drain... NT facerolled me, shade instagibbed me, after a few minutes I just decided not gonna bother.

ive done fine on dd since i went nade, main thing is to keep your pets fully buffed at all times and never slack off. So far im only averaging ~200-300k less on dd than when i was pistol (in a pen hard mish) and still possible to od almost any prof.

If you want damage, forget grenades. That's all there is to grenades.

Alien trimmers:
    1.According to auno, the alien trimmers only change damage type but don't add a single point of damage. In return they severely reduce bot maxhp, not an issue if your just after damage, but just in case you need them to tank.

2.They lock ME on target, so does Divert Energy to Offense.

3. Even if they did add some damage, recasting and rebuffing pets takes 2 minutes minimum( shells, about 30 secs each (that's inculding recharge and yes, you do have to recast them because you only have spare shells once) plus other buffs, don't forget nanorecharge) during which you are not doing any damage. So, you fight for 10 mins, take a break for 2, that's a drop in damage of 16.6% both for pets and you. Besides, which team will let you take a 2 minute break every 12 mins?

Conclusion: The alien trimmers are junk, there is NOTHING good about them.
    equip

Nice guide, and indeed long overdue.
    When I make mistakes, I use a lot of salt,
    cause salt makes m'steaks taste great!

Beornin - The original Shotgun Adv
    Obsessive - First 220 Trox Engi
    Euthanizer - Reanimated NT

You may want to add some info near the pet snare aura nanos.

Most specifically, *dont* use snares if:

1) You have a calmer in team that isn't a crat.
    2) You need to blind for any reason.
    3) There are/possibly will be flagged people around that may want to attack you.
    Trypha - 220/30/70 Engineer - General of Nocturnal Fear
    Trypothecary - 220/30/69 Doctor
    Trypocalypse - 220/30/70 Soldier
    Tryptophy - 220 Crat

"Most people would rather die than think; in fact, they do so." - Bertrand Russell

Good advice, Silverado.

One fine point:
    Allyssas' Ballistic Boots +15, Omni only (from Empath Alyssa in Penumbra Redeemed Temple

Are usable by Neutrals as well as the designated side.

I found Customized IMI Desert Reet 1000 (CDR)/Engineer Pistol pairing particularly effective in the low to mid level ranges (QL40-QL179: Mender, Mechanic, and Machinist). Since both do fire damage, you can load up on the best fire Aruls and Ring of Power-Elements you can equip to stack the damage bonuses.
    Yes, we have no signature today!

Thanks guys for your support

Carboncopy, i am adding your contributions to the original posts if you don't mind
    Equipment - Screenshot

Equipment - Screenshot

For some stuff that adds both pistol and multi ranged you should also consider

Dalja's Ring
    I was unable to find an Omni version
    equip

I don't really like flux pistols. A ql 150 one needs 1200 inits for 1/1 at full agg, with fling shot slow as hell. Higher qls need a lot more. Seing as a level 200 engineer can get about 800 ranged init, 1000 with a set of ql 200ish observant (scout/sharpshooter) armor, I really can't advise using flux pistols.

As for using a sentient corrosion sprayer, it's also slow and with a slow burst (about the same as a kyr'ozch pistol actually). A ql 199 Kyr'Ozch Pistol - Type 4 has the same reqs, a burst recharge 2 seconds slower, but faster shots and 50% more damage in SL. Also, really wierd, but the sprayer has an MBS that is actually lower than the reqs to equip it. So I really see no use for that weapon, other than making the turret it was intended for.

And for high levels you might want to mention a Viral Targeting Subunit as an alternate targeting scope (the best when PvM damage is all that matters).
    And since you mentioned Tarasque there is the (not so) ubiquitous RBP.

P.S. If you have access to a ql 200+ tower base, a Sentient Corrosive Turret will boost your projectile damage quite nicely.
    Last edited by TheGovernment; Feb 1st, 2006 at 01:32:05.
    equip

Quote Originally Posted by TheGovernment
    If you want damage, forget grenades. That's all there is to grenades.
    I didn't pick grenades for damage - it's because, well, we're one of the few masters of grenades - secondly, Kyr'Ozch Grenade Guns look nice on a nanomage engi :P and they do chemical damage, which sounds nice mid-to-end game.
    [[ RYUAHN | 220/21 Opifex Trader
    == Proud Member of Core ==
    [[ ALASTROPHE | 220/15 Solitus Martial-Artist

Quote Originally Posted by Raggy View Post
    There is literally nothing wrong with {Shutdown Skills} in it's current incarnation. What should be being looked at is the reason why it's needed so much. E.g, the incredible amount of Alpha being thrown around and the fickleness of Evade profs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cratertina View Post
    I walk in to BS... could not perk people... with 3704 AR and 300 AAD drain... NT facerolled me, shade instagibbed me, after a few minutes I just decided not gonna bother.

This a DD guide, mods and cooleness of the Bacam mean a big flat zero.
    equip

Apprehensive Spirit Pitcher

Nice little chem dmg item that will even help you in PvP against chem damage users and is sweetly enough engi only and not unique. Drops off Pursued Spirit in Inf.
    Last edited by Rusty; Feb 1st, 2006 at 02:35:55.
    Rustybolts, 220 Supreme Creator
    Kofiannan 220 Dictator
    Aalant, 210+ Savior
    Jeffcorwen 201+ Adv
    Rustyblades 204+ Enf

Quote Originally Posted by Guojia
    Great post,

Add this to Useful References threads plx
    done
    Rustybolts, 220 Supreme Creator
    Kofiannan 220 Dictator
    Aalant, 210+ Savior