Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Friday with Means - June 18th, 2010 - AO Expert wanted!

Quote Originally Posted by -Klod- View Post
    But mweh... What's so special in it for me?

I get to copy items only, or a complete char? If it's just char copy, it's plain silly.

If it's just items copy and you get to level your new char from level 1, without the need to farm all those nodrops, it's still stoopit (smart move for FC though, but it would be stupid of cheap ol' me to fell for that). I'll rather take fully leveled toon for this "vet" offer, thank you very much, or at least the same ability (level 1 with BoC/etc) but on the same account.
    It's not a character copy, and your not starting from lvl 1. It's a character TRANSFER.

{edited by Anarrina: removed unnecessary comment}
    Last edited by Anarrina; Jun 21st, 2010 at 21:21:52.
    Atlantean
    ------------------
    Postmuerta - 210/10 Solitus Soldier

Kamaytayan - 220/17 Solitus Fixer

Nice to see the accounting dept has been working to make these changes possible, Means. Does this mean the ice is thawed and they can enable the Mentoring stuff you have been waiting on?

Quote Originally Posted by Keex View Post
    and just to be complete

1. buy fraps for peanuts
    2. start fraps an run around anywhere you want (the ao junkies even cheered about the last "great" video...so it can't be worse)
    3. upload.
    aaaaand
    4. profit.

not showing what you're doing might (in my opinion) mean, that you can't really be proud of the results...just thinking...
    I agree with this post. also, im pretty sure there is a slew of freeware (opensource) video capture programs out there. im running out of excuses/shinies to tell/show the new/returning players that have joined our org why the new engine is still a ways away. this isnt my job.

personally, I play ao because its a great game, and could care less if it takes another half year or year for new engine. But, recruiting new and returning players that saw the two year old (ironically) "still alive" video on youtube, got excited enough to start playing again, then quit again because the engine has no forseeable release date is frustrating at best.

at least give us some brief gameplay (even low-res) footage every week to show the newbs/returnees to keep them interested and excited for long enough to get hooked on the gameplay (pics don't seem to have a huge effect). once a person is hooked on ao, getting new graphics is like getting icing on an ice-cream cake. you aren't really concerned whether its there or not.

plus, get enough gameplay videos on youtube of the new engine, and the new engine has a good chance of going viral. the current graphics carrot that is dangling there for the returning and new players is getting kinda ripe, if you know what i mean.

**edit** having said all this, keep in mind the effort that the ao team puts in to keep this game amazing is very appreciated. much applause for all the hard work done so far means and Co.
    Last edited by Soultraider; Jun 19th, 2010 at 21:38:26.
    wtf happened to my avatars eyebrows?

I used to listen to Dubstep in the 90's... every time I connected to the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamathefixer View Post
    It's a character TRANSFER.
    To WHERE?
    Renowned jester of the double AS Tigress

MP in sneak eNSDed me and did about 20k damage in 10-12 seconds

first
    Colawren - TL7 Adv
    Colwrenn - TL5 NT
    Iriotz - TL6 Solja

Quote Originally Posted by Colawren View Post
    first
    second

So, if you're gonna have two linked accounts for double price (or thereabouts), it means that you can't freeze either one of the accounts while having the other open. This is a major bummer as it effectively forces you to have either 0 or 2 accounts open, as opposed to the regular multiple accounts-way where you can have 0, 1 or 2 accounts open at any time.
    Eroz, finally 220/26/70 Adventurer & proud General of Regulators on ex-RK2 (outdated) equip
    Rokroland, 170 Engineer No more crab for j00 Northern Front on ex-RK2
    Ranged roxxorz!
    Sig last updated properly when West Athens still had people sitting about the subway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Siahanor View Post
    Complaining about the realism of height changing mechanics in a game that has people who can channel their anger to make huge killer meatballs.

Quote Originally Posted by -Klod- View Post
    To WHERE?
    The new veteran account?

Jesus.

You pay $20. Get a vet account with your previous accounts current veteran points and pre-ordered items (jobe lux apartment, vehicles, etc). Your then able to transfer one character (correct me if im wrong if your able to transfer multiple characters) over to this new "veteran" account, which comes with 60 days of playtime.
    Atlantean
    ------------------
    Postmuerta - 210/10 Solitus Soldier

Kamaytayan - 220/17 Solitus Fixer

Quote Originally Posted by eroz_c View Post
    So, if you're gonna have two linked accounts for double price (or thereabouts), it means that you can't freeze either one of the accounts while having the other open. This is a major bummer as it effectively forces you to have either 0 or 2 accounts open, as opposed to the regular multiple accounts-way where you can have 0, 1 or 2 accounts open at any time.
    Where did you get this information? Two accounts, two seperate subscription fees.. who said anything about freezing one account meaning the other does not remain playable?

I'll just quote an earlier post in this thread. Check out the last statement

Quote Originally Posted by Traderjill View Post
    This service will create a new Veteran Account for Anarchy Online.

It works by creating a new account under this account with the name you have specified. The new account will get 60 days of included gametime, all expansions, veteran months and preorder items copied from the existing account. The existing account also retains these items.

Note: The new account will take up to 10 minutes to be available.
    Also: Gametime and paid points for this account are separate from your existing account. Paid points and remaining gametime are not copied over.

If you have information that states otherwise, please quote your source. I'm kinda curious. I took this to mean the accounts were seperate once the new vet account was created.

My understanding of this process:

- You have an original account (assuming its older with pre-order goodies or lots of vet points)
    - You use the paid service to create a new vet account.
    - The service takes a one time look at the current state of your original account. Grabs the # vet points and any pre-order goodies that exist and transfers that information (one time) to the new vet account.
    - From then on out, the new vet account accumulates its own amount of vet points (based on your paid subscription time for the new vet account)...completely seperate from the original account.
    Last edited by Traderjill; Jun 19th, 2010 at 22:25:39.
    You can find me at:
    Battlenet @ Marilata#1680
    Steam @ http://steamcommunity.com/id/marilata

Umbrella account -> the one you log into with the register.FUncom.com
    |___> under that:

Main account,
    Secondary account,
    Thirdary account,
    Veteran account

Copies are from account 1 OR account 2 OR account 3. So you chose the thirdary one:

Thirdary --vet points and misc "goodies"---> Veteran account.

Transfers Coming Soon™:

Thirday --character (with stats items--> Veteran account.

----------------------------------------------

It is that last one that I don't agree with for moderated reasons and believe will bite this game on the rear end.

Yes, thirdary is deliberately misspelt / made up word, just "because"
    Anarrina is just doing her job. Way nicer in IRC.|| High aptitudes in some things != social skills.
    "Don't debate with a troll. They are impervious and will bring you down to their level; in height range to beat you with their thick little skulls."
    Audible taste of Africa.
    One string.| How to bring a sense of accomplishment back. "Fr00bs play AO; sl00bs work it."
    Why so serious?
    Stick What? You mean there are not enough PvP-ers ... to get the BS running? ... how come ...
    Aeliniyah : Where exactly? ... it requires only 6+6 people to start a round of BS, yet they never run ...

Quote Originally Posted by JenShay View Post
    Copies are from account 1 OR account 2 OR account 3.
    I think that people are getting stuck too much on the word "copies". It probably should have said "transfer" or "move".

Quote Originally Posted by Crowena View Post
    I think that people are getting stuck too much on the word "copies". It probably should have said "transfer" or "move".
    ... items copied from the existing account. The existing account also retains these items.

Now = copies.

Later (stat items + characters) = transfers.
    Anarrina is just doing her job. Way nicer in IRC.|| High aptitudes in some things != social skills.
    "Don't debate with a troll. They are impervious and will bring you down to their level; in height range to beat you with their thick little skulls."
    Audible taste of Africa.
    One string.| How to bring a sense of accomplishment back. "Fr00bs play AO; sl00bs work it."
    Why so serious?
    Stick What? You mean there are not enough PvP-ers ... to get the BS running? ... how come ...
    Aeliniyah : Where exactly? ... it requires only 6+6 people to start a round of BS, yet they never run ...

Quote Originally Posted by JenShay View Post
    ... items copied from the existing account. The existing account also retains these items.

Now = copies.

Later (stat items + characters) = transfers.
    Yes, copies of veteran points, expansions, preorder items... stuff that I don't see any problems with if they are getting copied. People just seem to be worried that it is possible to duplicate characters and their gear.

application deadline:06/18/10
    nooooooooooooooooooooo!

Question Is the Veteran Point system dead?

Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    Create a Veteran Account

Create a sub-account to your current account. The new account will get 60 days of included gametime, all expansions, veteran months and virtual items copied from the existing account. The existing account of course also retains these items. It is important to mention that in the near future we will be enabling the transfer of characters to Veteran Accounts from Regular accounts. (ie: Move my 220 Doctor from my main account to my new Vet Account). 2000 Paid Points.
    Why should I?
    It seems like every new addition is for Paid Points, so what am I going to use my Veteran Points for?
    Will there be new usefull additions like the SL map, beacons and health-pack?

Some have nearly 200 VP, so if you are going to make items for that market group;
    I know I should keep from spending my points, as I will always be poor compared to them.

Players that have been here since 2001 will have 171!! Veteran Points at the birthday..
    I only have 56, which I am hugging tightly, expecting something to come..

Graph for 2010
    Graph for 2020

But the problem is that the change grows and the number og veteran points they have is exponentialy growing..
    ..while the number of additionally points they get are liniary growing.

Formular:
    2 * (CY - SY) * (CY - SY + ½)
    CY: Calgulation Year, eg. 2010
    SY: Starting Year eg. 2004

Meaning that you can never optimize the system; those from 2001 will always have a GREAT deal more Veteran Points than newer players, so if you ceate something costing 50 Veteran Points, very few will be able to get it, yet some will be able to get it and have many leftover points still..

New people have no chance to survive, make there time, to get to the numbers of the old players..

So while we do not know if something new will come, noone are spending there Veteran Points, because we are worried about you making EXPENSIVE, but usefull items for the 2001 and still playing, group..

So I would like to know:
    Should I keep hugging my points, expecting something great?
    or should I buy all things in the Veteran Shop and have loads of points to spare?

..and watching the graph, you can see your problem with Veteran Points will only grow for the years to come..

Kind Regards
    -Ariensky

PS. Quickguide for 2010
    Veteran Points, based on year you started:
    2001: 171
    2002: 136
    2003: 105
    2004: 78
    2005: 55
    2006: 36
    2007: 21
    2008: 10
    2009: 3
    2010: 0

Depending on when you started your paied subscription that is..
    Humankind can not gain anything, without first giving something in return.
    To obtain; something of equal value must be lost.
    That is the 1st law of equivalent exchange

Rubi-Ka needs: a nickel statue of an astronaut pointing at the sky
    With the description / plate saying:
    When the stars burn out and I find I lack the strength to continue...one of YOU wil pick up the flag and carry it forward.
    This really isn't a corporate product anymore...it belongs to all of us. Where it goes it up to us.

Why would you think they are going to suddenly change course with the Vet points and put in anything more useful than they already have? Its not like there have been sudden cases of great items being put in within the past year even. The RK/SL beacons were put in in 17.4.

{edited by Anarrina: removed unnecessary comment}
    Last edited by Anarrina; Jun 21st, 2010 at 21:26:40. Reason: also removed obscenities
    "A whole new place to run around for ages in then die suddenly without warning."

"I know who coded pet pathing... and when I see him I say "/follow" and I start waling in to walls :P"

The "Trolls" option is incorrect. The term trolls is not used to describe the gathering of information on the Internet.

<@Kintaii> L2P

Regarding the CSR rep spot:

The link now goes to the main page and digging into the Durham jobs sections produces the following:

"There are currently no vacancies."

All those 1 point items take up space.

Now what would be nice would be if luxury apartments like the space station apartments had a closet (think "alternate bank") where you can store backpacks full of holiday and vet items.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagget View Post
    Regarding the CSR rep spot:

The link now goes to the main page and digging into the Durham jobs sections produces the following:

"There are currently no vacancies."
    The job was set to close on the 18th, it kinda makes sense that means wouldn't advertise it before the last day so that HR doesn't get flooded with applications that don't really cover it.
    "A whole new place to run around for ages in then die suddenly without warning."

"I know who coded pet pathing... and when I see him I say "/follow" and I start waling in to walls :P"

The "Trolls" option is incorrect. The term trolls is not used to describe the gathering of information on the Internet.

<@Kintaii> L2P

Quote Originally Posted by Technogen View Post
    The job was set to close on the 18th, it kinda makes sense that means wouldn't advertise it before the last day so that HR doesn't get flooded with applications that don't really cover it.
    No it doesn't.
    New Engine - Announced: June 2007 ETA: Soon™ I'm speechless (June 2015)
    Rebalancing - Announced: January 2009 ETA: December 21, 2012 Started! (April 2015)
    New TL7 Pets - Announced: March 2009 ETA: Uh...
    AS Changes - Announced: July 2009 ETA: TBA
    Parry/Riposte - Announced: October 2009 ETA: ??? Did it! (April 2015)
    Perk Changes - Announced: October 2009 ETA: Right after server merge Started! (April 2015)
    Breed Change - Announced: November 2009 ETA: Hell freezing They did it!!! (Oct 2012)
    Beta Server - Announced: January 2010 ETA: Pigs Flying Did it! (Feb 2014)

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast