Thread: Resident of Athen: Everyone can earn a living

Resident of Athen: Everyone can earn a living

Resident of Athen: Everyone can earn a living
    Caitty

ATHENS, OA Hill - (FJRK) - Clanners in Old Athens West state their common hangout is becoming a sanctuary for beggars.

When we consider the character of any individual, we naturally view it under two different aspects; first, as it may affect his own happiness; and secondly, as it may affect that of others.

So when we look at the issues looming over Old Athens West, we look to the behavior of beggars and their counterparts. Is the beggar, begging, or are they begging to differ?

A citizen of Old Athen who wishes to be known only as "BigB" told the Free Journalist of Rubi-Ka “Old Athen Hill is becoming a sanctuary for beggars. More and more new comers to Rubi-Ka are going to the dark side and start begging instead of working for their items."

But when the question was asked: "What about the citizen who has no way to earn a living?" Citizen Lovesjen quickly jumped at the chance to throw his two cents in with a vigorous "There is no: 'no way to earn a living'. It doesn't exist. Everyone...EVERYONE can earn a living. It might take some longer than others, but it's quite possible."

The consensus of the citizens of Old Athen, both beggars and their counterparts, say that beggars beg because they receive what they want if they ask enough. This was backed up by citizen Bossem who stated: “I begged when I first arrived on Rubi-ka, because I found it easier to beg then to work on solo missions. When I arrived I had nothing, and had no idea how to support myself. Begging was the easiest method of survival.”

Some feel laws need to be passed to keep citizens from begging, others feel it is the responsibility of each citizen to not give into panhandling. Citizen Lovesjen shared his insight into how this crucial issue could be resolved. "I feel beggars should be shown the light. If they were given just enough credits to purchase a mission, instead of enormous amounts, they would learn to make a profit on their own and not continue to beg."

So as the tensions rise in Old Athens West and the issue with beggars continue to plague the city, citizens are left with the unfaltering task of figuring out what can be done to clean up their city and send the beggars packing.

If they can not find work, then put them to work. We have beggars down in Rome and Entertainment too, and if i am approached i generaly pay them a decent amount to perform a service i don´t have time with or simply can´t be bothered to perform.

That is also an acid test of sorts. If they realy are that desperate for quick cash they will perform the job, if they are only out to get rich quick they say "screw you" and walk off, and if so that person is added to my Com list of persons that will not recive any help at all from me, period.
    "On the frontlines, there is but one commandment...
    Thou Shalt Kill."

"As i stride knee deep through the dead, all is clear. I know what must be done...
    My cause is just...My will is strong...
    ...And my gun is very, very large!"
    The words of a true soldier.

I'm remided of the time when a begger was hanging around a lot of people who were gathered at the same spot.

After a min. or two somebody handed him 300k credits. Then, this person began begging again. Everybody was starting to get annoied. They were telling him to leave. Some even started ignoring him.

I couldn't take it any more. I asked them to join my team... then once the were on my team, I just team Grided them away.

I never saw that begger again... I assume he's still stuck in the Grid...
    Jasmine Ziakara but everybody calls me Jasziak
    Unit Member of The Mockers
    Perks - Armor

Want to be a Mocker? Ask me.
    Want to RP? Let me know.

A most ingenious solution to the problem, Jasziak.

The problem is that people will take advantage of an individual. If one gives them an inch, they will take a mile.

There's a multitude of jobs available at any mission terminal that will supply an individual with sufficient credits for their services. These individuals of sloth weaken the corporation. As for the clans who perform this act of begging, I'd expect nothing less.
    Meldaeyn
    220 Omni Meta-Physicist on Rimor
    As long as the enemies of the corporation still draw breath, there can be no peace.

There's not sense in it! The fact that people are beggin' for a living is just silly of them! I smacked right into Rome's walls with nothin' but the clothes on my back...mind you, that wasn't much in the way of clothing... and what did I do? I took one look 'round at the huge buildings an' groups of people in uniform and I took my little butt straight to tha subway.

I dunno how I knew about it... I saw some sign with a picture of people in armor and an arrow pointin' that way, an' I went.

'Course... once I went in I just didn't leave until someone told me I best get to workin' for the corporation. Heck, I didn't even know what a corporation was! All I knew was that to eat, I had to knock out muggers an' take whatever I found on 'em to the shops so someone would give me food in exchange.

When I got back up to tha city, people were kind enough ta point me to mission terminals and it didn't take long to realize a pocketful of credits bought dinner and some warmer clothes. I didn't ask for a thing, but a martial artist paid the down payment on an apartment so I wouldn't have to stay sleepin' on the streets.

I once in a while take a trip to the training grounds an' heal the folks workin' so hard. They appreciate a sudden zap of nanobots putting them back up to par a heck of a lot more than a couple of credits when those swamp nasties are wearin' em down!

It's good to be kind ta people... but no one should expect freebies. Beggars should do themselves a favor and go job-hunting. You'll sleep a lot better at night knowin' you've earned everything you got. And it's a lot more pleasent ta be surprised by gifts than havin' ta stand around annoying workin' folk for their hard-earned money and items.
    Juliet "Lunya" Lochlan
    ~Adventurer (retired)

"Omni by profession, Neutral at heart."~

->This link guaranteed to make you smile every time!<-

I never Rewarded Beggers.

If someone Bugged me for monies on the street I ignored them if they asked for a few credits in a store to get an Item they're just short of getting I gave them the credits. If they asked me where to go to earn credits and get good armor I Oufited them and gave them some pocket change to me (50k-300k depending on how honest they where with me.)

I don't mind helping People who will work they're ass off to get monies But I will not help those who think they are owed a handout by life.

(seems a bit hardcase but I have my RL reasons.)
    John "Blackswords" Rm
    Boardmember of Omni-Mining
    Adventurer

Beggars fail to realize that human behavior is economic behavior. The particulars may vary, but competition for limited resources remains a constant. Need as well as greed have followed us to the stars, and the rewards of wealth still await those wise enough to recognize this deep thrumming of our common pulse. This is one of the first lessons taught in “The Ethics of Greed,” and the most important.

I reward Beggars only once they manage to convince me that their need outweighs my greed. Young agents who make me feel nostalgic for my youth get rewarded, as do artists, unfortunately a rare commodity on Rubi-Ka in the present. If they imply that it’s my duty to help them, I’ll remind them that the Corporation is based on a free market capitalist business plan, not a communal planed economy. I never give too much, as the gift is meant to enable them to make money themselves, not support them though their lives on Rubi-Ka.

Cold? Perhaps. But I knew people in the unofficial beggars guilds that would make millions a day, while I was scraping by on the credits earned through my sweat and blood, not eating for days so that I could buy a new nanoprogram. It built character, those days, a trait few beggars will ever have.
    Marisha Durousseau, War Dominatrix of The Honored Maidens

Resources exist to be consumed. And consumed they will be, if not by this generation then by some future. By what right does this forgotten future seek to deny us our birthright?--CEO Nwabudike Morgan, "The Ethics of Greed"

Read Marisha's Journal, and see what she's doing

There seems to be a contradiction in this game..

Begging is looked down on, and I agree, I never ask for money and don't even feel at all comfortable asking for a buff. But there is also this prevailing opinion that everyone needs to be over-equipped, which costs more money than the average player has after doing missions, hunting etc.

My main, L 72 MA is doing fine with implants varying from QL 40-80 and armor and nanos appropriate for my level. But it's hard to feel like honest work pays off when so many are running around with imps 50 QL higher and spouting off in these forums about how this has become "expected" by most players. Since either buying pre-made or custom making imps of a significantly higher level requires big bucks, we see a need for instant cash.

If my org gave me 500K so I could get the uber implants > armor > nanos I certainly wouldn't say no, but I would still feel like I wasn't playing the game fairly, nor do I think the current situation is what FC intended, though I can't be sure.

Simply put, can we just disregard begging as rude behavior, or has it become almost necessary?

((can we just disregard begging as rude behavior, or has it become almost necessary?)

((*Disregards the OOC post in the IC news report*))

Marisha, I feel pretty similar to ya. A young adventurer bouncin' around wide-eyed and excited tryin' his best ta make somethin' from the nothin' he started out with is likely to get a nice little 'Christmas Present' from me any time of the year.

An' those folks that we call "Twinkers" get nothin' from me. Their greed far outweighs my inclination to help. I still remember how my husband teased me for still havin' a ql20 brain implant when I had level 95 clearance. Not like I didn't have the money... just other things seemed more important. Meh, blame it on the implant bein' too old and screwin' up my priorities.
    Juliet "Lunya" Lochlan
    ~Adventurer (retired)

"Omni by profession, Neutral at heart."~

->This link guaranteed to make you smile every time!<-

I do not understand what drives beggars; both on Rubi-Ka and on the enchanting worlds of the Shadowlands there are plenty of opportunities to make good money, whether hunting or accepting the tasks obtainable via the mission terminals scattered throughout Rubi-Ka.

With the social stigma and the apparent fact that 99% decline to give money to these beggars, I would think that their energies would be better spent actually making money by, say, killing those land-destroying Hecklers and selling their valuable metals to the nearest vendor.

Katia "Aelys" Ganes:

One thing has always driven me nuts. Beggars and people who ask for help. I mean, seriously, you can't walk down the street in any major city (Newland and Tir, of course, not being real cities anymore anyway) without bein' bugged one way or the other. Some perp with poor English skills (or just laziness) who just wants that 5k to buy a new weapon. "Oooh, Aelys, where can I download this nanorpgoram that sorts implants for me from?" Do a grid search on it, ya lazy bums!

Some of us work hard to earn our money AND knowledge. The weak will it takes to beg for either is pathetic.

Alexei "Zagadka" Garcia:

Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Set a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life, I say. ... OK, that doesn't make much sense, but it is true nonetheless.

It is often more interesting to see people's reactions when you offer to help someone make money, rather than just give it to them. Simply offering seems to make them slink off with their tails between the legs- and it separates the truly needy from the merely greedy. I don't spend much time on Rubi-Ka, but sometimes helping someone understand their surroundings better will make for a much more well-adjusted and grateful citizen.
    Aleksei "Zagadka" Garcia - Savior, Council Clerk
    Cindi "Razishlyat" Bolieu - Advisor Eternalist

I am rarely bothered by beggers, maybe beacuse rarely venture into the crowded places or that I my clothing doesn't show off any great wealth.
    None the less sometimes I am even so approached by beggars and in those cases I follow the example set by my esteemed friend.
    I give them 100 credits and point them to the nearest mission terminal. My friend usually gave just enough credits for the beggars to get one mission but I've found it easier and quicker just to give them 100 credits. Many a fortune has been started that way and if 100 credits wasn't enough to get them a mission then at least it gave me the time to get away.
    I think it is sad that a private citizen shouldn't be able to step out of his Stiletto without being bothered by beggars.
    Whenever I wore the grid armor suit in towns it felt like everyone thought I was their personal bank or something.
    May your RD always kick in between death and reclaim.
    Honest Businessmen and women: The Mockers
    I eat Grid Armor nanos. *BURP* Hungry again!
    Power Users run Anarchy Online from Linux.

I find beggars are one of the most annoying aspects of life on Rubi-Ka especially when they use the direct private communication system whilst standing right in front of me. I have never “assisted” anyone who makes such requests. Repeated private communications form them results in a blanket barring of their coms ID. The most annoying aspect of these unsolicited DPComs is that frequently the individual concerned is the member of a guild and often has matching armor and equipment.

The only beggar I have helped was one who respected the bounds of civility and took the trouble to look the part. His clothing was tattered and full of holes, he sat at a street corner and he spoke for all to hear about his need and his duty to support his family (and dog). I believe he made a fortune that afternoon as pretty much everyone who was in his vicinity took pity on his plight and donated funds to help him get back on his feet.

((OOC the effort and entertainment value of the individual was worth every CR he got. I have never seen anyone roll-play a down-and-out since. ))

Tiggy