Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Remove /assist macro.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazeran View Post
    We could live without it but it would be a hit to our raid healing.
    With the raid interface assist healing is completely unnecessary. When you think about it removing /assist would be a global buff to the entire community because docs wouldn't fall asleep during raids anymore thanks to the brain-afk 12121212121212 (assist + BI) assisthealing doctor playstyle. They'd be forced to actually pay attention, like a lifesaving profession should ^^

The RI cannot give the near instant response that /assist does though and certainly not without having all the extra hp tabs open, not to mention anyone outside of the RI. The RI isnt up to par to replace /assist.'

Providing the tank is good and in all honesty /assist and the RI is simply not needed. Everyone has and has had such a huge defense boost in their toolsets that doctors simply dont need to watch everyone. Even more so when there is a keeper/MA/advy or even a MP or trader in the raid that will take care of their own teams for the minor damage.

Assist is irreplaceable for those times where the poop hits the fan however, as there is nothing else close to it that gives us that near instant response that we need to save someones life. Those moments are the ones that losing assist will hurt us the most.

As far as "a global buff" goes its a double edge sword. As UBT is crap in its current form a doc could simply spend all their time UBTing now instead. Same goes for damage. As it is now doctors have alot more freedom to cast DoTs and assist in the damage, something I dont want us as a profession to lose. While our primary focus and job will always be to keep everyone alive, and assist helps us in that, being forced into a position to only heal is just as bad as us rarely needing to.

(IMO)

removing assist would also make people feel a bit more like they might not play like such asshats and actually watch their own HP.

The reality is, is that toolsets are by FAR sufficient to tank a trash mob or two in a raid, and if they can't, they should look at who the tank is fighting.

Good DPSers can also survive (while suiciders might not) easily using standard defensive measures, not to mention having a team (i.e. IHM/keeper buffs/advy buffs and general team auras/heals/reflects to help keep them alive).

IMO, anyone dying in a raid SHOULD die in a raid, regardless of /assist or not. Let em miss out on phatz if they die. Teach them a lesson.

there must be something right there, i don't agree with knuckle often, but here i do. well put, sir.

I support this motion remove /assist
    Quote Originally Posted by Michizure View Post
    This'll be fixed for the next patch

The RI cannot give the near instant response that /assist does though and certainly not without having all the extra hp tabs open, not to mention anyone outside of the RI. The RI isnt up to par to replace /assist.'
    That's right they can't replace the easymode of /assist. Nor should they, people need to learn how to play properly instead of relying on other players and mobs to do their work for them. Not having a near instant response using a mouse and the raid interface is only a matter of being slow or rusty and not an excuse for /assist to remain in game.

Quote Originally Posted by Pafpuf View Post
    That's right they can't replace the easymode of /assist. Nor should they, people need to learn how to play properly instead of relying on other players and mobs to do their work for them. Not having a near instant response using a mouse and the raid interface is only a matter of being slow or rusty and not an excuse for /assist to remain in game.
    You've seem to have ignored everything else I have said and solely focused on getting assist removed and saying there is no excuse to not have 30 windows up during raids. You've also made no mention of the suggestion of removing named assist and simply leaving assist (/asssist name vs just /assist) which would allow us to keep assist in a functioning way while removing the huge negative of it that it has now.

I support the removal of /Assist, it will make pvp more interesting, less zergy and more strategy available.

Those doctors who complain about them having a hard time, well too bad. AO isn't challenging enough. If a team of six people can complete beast raid without any harms done. I'm pretty sure a s42 raid where there is several doctors will go just as smooth.

If i had a doc as main profession, I'd be more glad than sad, see this as a challenge to your own expertise and skills. Also you will not be completely zapped in one microsecond in NW or any other pvp encounter because people will react slower thus leaving you to more survivability.

Also Kazeran; I've never heard of one doctor in a whole 30 raidforce, which means you don't have to have 30 windows for everyone's health. And as Mcknuckle wrote, you will surely have more profession in this raidforce that can make up for the lack of heals you can do to others than the main tank.
    Valhall Guardians

Thapetowner 220 Meta-Physicist
    Hyimoliver 220 Soldier
    Ihatemyself 200 Shade
    Hardcore 200 Adventurer
    Ilovetokill 170 Agent
    Ilovetodrain 150 Trader
    Oxiahe 150 Doctor
    Critterz 150 Martial-Artist
    Awaaa 74 Soldier

Quote Originally Posted by Oliveerz View Post
    Those doctors who complain about them having a hard time, well too bad. AO isn't challenging enough.
    The tone of your post is what seems most people feel. "Its the docs fault everything is so easy". While never said outright Its said constantly between the lines. Please keep in mind the abilities of every profession.

If a team of six people can complete beast raid without any harms done. I'm pretty sure a s42 raid where there is several doctors will go just as smooth.
    Providing the tank is good and in all honesty /assist and the RI is simply not needed. Everyone has and has had such a huge defense boost in their toolsets that doctors simply dont need to watch everyone. Even more so when there is a keeper/MA/advy or even a MP or trader in the raid that will take care of their own teams for the minor damage.
    I have already agreed that other profs are now more then ever capable of taking care of the minor off damage they receive.

If i had a doc as main profession, I'd be more glad than sad, see this as a challenge to your own expertise and skills. Also you will not be completely zapped in one microsecond in NW or any other pvp encounter because people will react slower thus leaving you to more survivability.
    There is little that is challenging anymore with a knowledgeable doc due to everyones high survivability that they have by themselves. Removing a tool that allows me and healers in general to do what we do best to the fullest extent isnt very practical. I won't disagree though, Im sure we will live slightly longer in group pvp.

Also Kazeran; I've never heard of one doctor in a whole 30 raidforce, which means you don't have to have 30 windows for everyone's health. And as Mcknuckle wrote, you will surely have more profession in this raidforce that can make up for the lack of heals you can do to others than the main tank.
    I said that in regards to that is what /assist offers and more. If you want to take it away we would need to have 30/36 windows open to gain the same benefits that /assist has to offer, which is allowing us to see anyone who has attracted unwanted agg. I expect those who can heal to take care of their own teams. The RI doesn't replace /assist however.

Ive offered my view on /assist and that is to remove the allowance of names behind it. That would allow healers to still use it and allow its use in a team environment without it being OP without great cooperation.

You've seem to have ignored everything else I have said and solely focused on getting assist removed and saying there is no excuse to not have 30 windows up during raids.
    That's right, there's no excuse whatsoever.
    You've also made no mention of the suggestion of removing named assist and simply leaving assist (/asssist name vs just /assist) which would allow us to keep assist in a functioning way while removing the huge negative of it that it has now.
    What's to stop people from dragging out a "caller" window from the raid interface, targeting them and then using "/assist"? Effectively achieving the same thing "/assist name" does.

Leave /assist alone ...

We should be able to use /assist [name here] ...

Emma

Quote Originally Posted by Emma View Post
    Leave /assist alone ...

Said every slacker ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Emma View Post
    Leave /assist alone ...

Emma
    Who decides "should" ?

That's right, there's no excuse whatsoever.
    With that response I can see that there is no point in discussing that part of this debate with you. I Just dont see how someone may believe its fine and dandy to make healers have all those extra windows open to get a similar effect as /assist.

What's to stop people from dragging out a "caller" window from the raid interface, targeting them and then using "/assist"? Effectively achieving the same thing "/assist name" does.
    A fair point and one that I over looked.

What about assist are you against though? As you have not made that clear in any of your posts. Is it just the pvp? The pvm? Or is it everything? I don't see the problem with it in pvm and its pretty fine the way it is, abit over powering. In pvp however it ruins pretty much everything.

If the target (after performing an assist) is a player character, don't allow the assist in the code.

If the target (after performing an assist) is an NPC, allow the assist in the code.

PvP = no assist.
    PvM = same as always.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomium View Post
    I say this with all love and humor, but...

haters gonna hate.

↑↑↓↓ ← → ← → B A
    As a Doc I don't think /assist is needed anywhere in PvM either. The tank will always have dedicated healing, if needed other Docs can be told to heal tank now. It's not like tanks are so incon****uous or you can't just drag them out from RI.

What would die with /assist is 1. AFKers going bat**** crazy on mobs at any time to bump their dd so RL won't see a Sol/Shade below MP on the DD list and 2. damage whores, who would learn very quickly that personal epeening during raids is not sustainable.

More often than not number 2 is what Kazeran calls "random aggro". That, or personal incompetence, something we're not supposed to be responsible for. Sure, there might be genuine random adds, keep your eyes peeled and stop afk healing (can't count the number of times I did Pande and was browsing pr0n while keep pressing 1/2/3 in some other window).
    Quote Originally Posted by thecheeseman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidana View Post
    This is so out of context regarding my quote that I don't even know how to respond...
    because i win.

Quote Originally Posted by Gargle View Post
    If the target (after performing an assist) is a player character, don't allow the assist in the code.

If the target (after performing an assist) is an NPC, allow the assist in the code.

PvP = no assist.
    PvM = same as always.
    That's fine but it ruins assist healing.

But we still have raid interface.

Honestly tho jax, I think you're overestimating the responsibilities of a doctor in a raid.

To be perfectly honest, when I am the sole doc in a raid, lets say 12m, I really don't care that much what is happening in T2. If they are getting ganked by RH, or xan or whatever, that's not MY fault. I'll fire a heal or whatever if the tank is in good shape (and he should be in good shape if someone else has aggro), and that's the enforcers fault if that situation occurs. A good doc can keep them alive BRIEFLY... but if the crat isn't doing his job, then it's a fight that won't turn out well.

It's in my interests, and the RAIDS interests to keep the primary aggro target alive, if you lose a DPS or two in T2, then that's the enf's fault for not watching when LMN is out. If the enf is taking too much damage, that's the crats fault for not debuffing RH/xan.

It's almost never the doctors fault, but the best a doc can do is focus on the primary tank, maintain max HP buffs for his team, and if stuff gets sticky, launch battlefield heals - but you only got 4 of those so it's not like you can effectively, continuously heal using them (obviously)

If a DPS can't use his own defences to stay alive then he's a crappy DPS. If a advy, MA and trader in T2 can't help each other out in T2, then your raid mates are asshats. If the doctor can fire a heal at T2 occasionally, then he's a better doctor than what is required.

What about assist are you against though? As you have not made that clear in any of your posts. Is it just the pvp? The pvm? Or is it everything? I don't see the problem with it in pvm and its pretty fine the way it is, abit over powering. In pvp however it ruins pretty much everything.
    Everything, /assist has created an army of veteran endgame noobs in this game. Players never needed to pay attention to anything, they learned that they'll get to the end just by spamming assist. Why do you think people volunteering to be the caller is extremely rare nowadays ? Everyone prefers the zero effort autopilot mode of someone else finding and calling their targets for them. The number of people who ran into the darwin fence because of "I was looking at my tv" says it all tbh.

All assist does is make lives easier for slackers and leechers in pvm and gets players instakilled with the push of a button in open pvp. It has to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Gargle View Post

PvP = no assist.
    PvM = same as always.
    Close, try

Code:
    If Me.Target.Type = "Player" And Me.Target.Target.Type = "Player" Then
        Do Nothing
    Else
        Assist As Normal
    End If
    So, only assisting from a player to a player is prevented.
    "Do not try and catch the hamster... that's impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth... There is no hamster, only a deadbeat rollerat..."

[Social] Means: I don't think we removed any bosses because of bad pathing...there wouldnt be any left if we did :P

AO Character Skill Emulator and Character Parser and AO Implant Layout Helper

↑↑↓↓ ← → ← → B A
    Problem is there's no chance in hell they will make assist server side and as long as it's client side it can be.. ahem, "used" giving an unrfair advantage to those who do. See inspect and opponent ncu windows for example. Either the whole thing goes or the whole thing stays, unfortunately.
    Quote Originally Posted by thecheeseman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidana View Post
    This is so out of context regarding my quote that I don't even know how to respond...
    because i win.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast