Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Friday with Means - July 30th, 2010 - Go Go Community!

Quote Originally Posted by Vhab View Post
    And did you report these errors to Xyphos?
    How can he fix anything if everyone just goes "meh it doesn't work" and moves on.
    Explain to him what's wrong and he'll very likely fix it.

It's not like he sits there thinking, "what annoying bugs shall I add today?".

So get of your high horse and start doing something for the community, even if it's as small as a bug report.
    Have you reported it? Has anyone else?

Guess everyone's strutting around on those high horses then. I only figured out what the bug was yesterday when I made the first post about his site, seems Lektronik already knew the issue before me.. did he report it? You gona bitch at him about riding his high horse and not doing even a small thing for his community?

But then I guess it's only arrogant (high horse) if I found the bug and didn't report it, others who found the bug before me and didn't report it are just what.. normal people? Not required to report it because they didn't talk about the site in a negative manner?

So I guess I can sit back now and wait for the site to be working normally now right? Because Vhab, riding along on his normal horse, has gone and reported it like he feels others are responsible to do right? Why flood Xyphos with multiple reports of the same thing when one call from Vhab should convince him that the issue is real - right?

Or are you going to try to act like my/a father and sit there waiting for me to do it?
    Enter the Information Age
    Proc Descriptions

Hunt, and be hunted: The Hunting Grounds | Alien Tower Field :Aliens, that really invade!
    Pet argo management: Servants Protection | Expand the Notum Silo :Make it worthwhile

Rimor
    Tesgri - 220|17|58 (Omni Agent)
    Leara - 220|25|62 (Omni Doctor)
    Ponygirl - 220|25|56 (Omni Bureaucrat)
    Means: "We have done way dumber things than this..."

103rd
    Craized - 220/30 Adventurer
    Haized - 220/30 Adventurer
    Medpills - 220/24 Doctor

Redemption

Quote Originally Posted by Superflare View Post
    If I could decide I would implement nanonanny, clicksaver, TinyDump (DD), guides, ao shop agent, etc...basicly all the useful programs most of us use when we play, with a "this program is brough to you by <insert toon name here>. That would be awsome imo
    big bump for this. except maybe replace nanonanny with implant helper, its much, much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamathefixer View Post
    The "<enter subject matter here> looks too asian!" is really getting old you guys :P

Stop humping the bandwagon

heh, here's a new bandwagon to hump then: ta;dr
    Last edited by Soultraider; Jul 31st, 2010 at 17:41:22.
    wtf happened to my avatars eyebrows?

I used to listen to Dubstep in the 90's... every time I connected to the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Ayria View Post
    Have you reported it? Has anyone else?
    Nope, this is the first I'm hearing hearing of it.
    I don't use Xyphos' site that often.

And I'm picking you out because you're judging and belittling community effort without taking any effort to contribute.
    So yeah, put up or shut up.

And yes, I'm going to act like your father and wait for you to report it.

edit: typo
    Last edited by Vhaxx; Jul 31st, 2010 at 19:38:46.
    Formerly Vhab.
    Once upon a time ruled a server. And then sold out. Sorry.

You know.. I would if AUNO was up to date and Xyphos actually worked. Half the time I'm looking for something I start at Auno, but it's not there cause well it's not up to date with new nanos in the prof listing; so okay, I'll go search Xyphos except every time I click on a profession it goes "Unknown" and just doesn't show anything.

I'd love to have a DB site I could give kudos to, but atm I don't.

I'm sorry, profession nanos isn't something I've mastered yet.
    nor is it easy to maintain such a list.

Auno's works because it's a manually maintained. (but auno no longer updates)

Mine doesn't work because I'm trying to make it auto-update itself every patch it's quite difficult to pull every nano available to a specific profession out of a huge sea of nanos.

there will be a day, when it'll finally work correctly, but it don't look like it'll be any time soon.

at least, the items database works, after 2 years of unpaid coding, refining and tinkering, which was the primary feature in the first place;
    the nano list is only there as a requested feature, and still needs more work done.

EDIT:
    other then that, thankyou Vhab for reporting someone else's bug report.
    it's the first I've heard about it
    Last edited by Xyphos; Jul 31st, 2010 at 19:30:02.
    "When life knocks you on your butt, you have to get back up and punch it in the face." --DJ Ashval of GSP

Nullified "Bitbucket" Deadcode - 220/25 Neut NanoMage Engi
    Bits10 - 150/14 Clan Opifex Trader

And I'm picking you out because you're judging and belittle-ling community effort without taking any effort to contribute.
    Right. And you know this for certain? You know I've done nothing to help the community as a fact right? (And no, I don't need to tell you what kind of things I've done or are doing, I don't need to justify or prove myself to you.)

How's the view from up there, if I'm on my high horse yours must be using stilts.

Even if I did nothing to help the community you don't think criticism has it's place or that I have a right to criticize? I'm sure he put a lot of effort into it, but the amount of effort, and even the intent, you put into something only means so much and, imo, it's not something that should save you from people commenting on what's wrong.

As a (small time) programmer myself I find this kind of bug in particular unacceptable. It is a core function and it should have been caught and fixed before it was ever compiled and put online. When I program something the first level of debugging I run is to click on everything, use every function, and make sure it all works as intended. That he went and released something online without clicking on a single link to nanos (cause if he did he'd have noticed the very obvious sign that none of it works) tells me he didn't even do that simple bit of debugging. To me that makes him deserving of criticism, whether you agree with me or not it doesn't matter, it doesn't make me a bad person.

Quote Originally Posted by Xyphos View Post
    I'm sorry, profession nanos isn't something I've mastered yet.
    nor is it easy to maintain such a list.
    But it's not the list that doesn't work. It's the link between your buttons and the lists.
    Proc Descriptions

Hunt, and be hunted: The Hunting Grounds | Alien Tower Field :Aliens, that really invade!
    Pet argo management: Servants Protection | Expand the Notum Silo :Make it worthwhile

Rimor

Right. And you know this for certain? You know I've done nothing to help the community as a fact right? (And no, I don't need to tell you what kind of things I've done or are doing, I don't need to justify or prove myself to you.)

How's the view from up there, if I'm on my high horse yours must be using stilts.

Even if I did nothing to help the community you don't think criticism has it's place or that I have a right to criticize? I'm sure he put a lot of effort into it, but the amount of effort, and even the intent, you put into something only means so much and, imo, it's not something that should save you from people commenting on what's wrong.

As a (small time) programmer myself I find this kind of bug in particular unacceptable. It is a core function and it should have been caught and fixed before it was ever compiled and put online. When I program something the first level of debugging I run is to click on everything, use every function, and make sure it all works as intended. That he went and released something online without clicking on a single link to nanos (cause if he did he'd have noticed the very obvious sign that none of it works) tells me he didn't even do that simple bit of debugging. To me that makes him deserving of criticism, whether you agree with me or not it doesn't matter, it doesn't make me a bad person.

But it's not the list that doesn't work. It's the link between your buttons and the lists.
    Thank you for proving my point about judging and belittling community work.
    Formerly Vhab.
    Once upon a time ruled a server. And then sold out. Sorry.

Thank you for proving my point about judging and belittling community work.
    Why don't you go back to playing with your bots.

Linking in HTML is something I was taught in Grade 7, Xyphos has failed to even get it to work. I'm not belittling him, he's doing that well enough on his own.

http://www.xyphos.com/ao/nanos.php?s...a?profession=6

That's the URL you get when you mouseover and click on the Adventurer button in the profession list.

http://www.xyphos.com/ao/nanos.php?s...9b7e499ef7bb28

That's the actual required URL to view his lists. He's got the lists down, but it's a basic issue with the link on the button not matching the address the information is stored at.

If a similar link issue say.. existed on AOs site... and people pointed it out.. would you go after them and bash them for belittling Funcom's work?

I think not. So what's so special about Xyphos' site that he should be immune from criticism?
    Last edited by Ayria; Jul 31st, 2010 at 19:57:24.
    Proc Descriptions

Rimor

As a (small time) programmer myself I find this kind of bug in particular unacceptable. It is a core function and it should have been caught and fixed before it was ever compiled and put online.

and as a small time programmer, you should know that somethings just don't work when put on other computers.

the links worked when it was tested on my laptop, then stopped working after uploading the content. furthermore it's an odd bug that I'm currently unable to replicate in order to find the cause of the problem in order for it to be fixed.

until I can find the cause and a fix, the nano list has been taken down, and in your honor.
    "When life knocks you on your butt, you have to get back up and punch it in the face." --DJ Ashval of GSP

and as a small time programmer, you should know that somethings just don't work when put on other computers.

the links worked when it was tested on my laptop, then stopped working after uploading the content. furthermore it's an odd bug that I'm currently unable to replicate in order to find the cause of the problem in order for it to be fixed.

until I can find the cause and a fix, the nano list has been taken down, and in your honor.
    Well I appreciate you trying to fix it. And I can understand that in some cases things are more complex then they seem. Honestly I don't know what kind of frame work you have in the background but to me it looks like a simple matter of mismatched links.
    Proc Descriptions

Rimor

Well i want to have nothing to do with any arguement going on, but I gotta personally thank this awesome community on my behalf for the work you have done on your free time. All the helpful sites, bots, maps, programs... You've saved my butt so many times its ridiculous. I'm out.

Can people please take these personal arguments elsewhere?
    Coordinator Anarrina
    Public Forums Moderation Team Lead
    Community Relations Department

Advisors of Rubi-Ka

Forum Social Guidelines // Social Events with ARK // Rubi-Ka Marriage Registry // ARK Tours // Join ARK!

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one. -- GRRM

Broken:
    xyphos.com/ao/nanos.php?sid=73aae...?profession=6

Working:
    xyphos.com/ao/nanos.php?school=1&profession=6&sid=d30859....
    bingo, thankyou for finding the bug.

when I was testing on my laptop, I was always logged in and had the SID cookie setting so SID was never needed in the URLs.

for other users, after uploading the content, they're not logged in so the system auto-generates an SID for their links.

it is because the SID is auto-generated, that the profession list links got borked and the php scripts never got the correct data from the URL clicked.

no wonder why I couldn't find it until you posted.
    it's amazing how much trouble one malformed auto-generated URL can be.
    but it's more amazing how nazi you become over something so simple. :lol:
    Last edited by Xyphos; Jul 31st, 2010 at 20:43:47.

EDIT:
    other then that, thankyou Vhab for reporting someone else's bug report.
    it's the first I've heard about it
    Not that I care who has credit but it seems quite funny that, after claiming he was going to act like my father and wait for me to report it, he went and reported it anyway.

but it's more amazing how nazi you become over something so simple. :lol:
    Well it helped in fixing it didn't it

I can go overboard with things, yes.
    Proc Descriptions

Rimor

I say keep the NOT SHADE flag. They already do the most damage, now they get the most armor.

Quote Originally Posted by protozo View Post
    I say keep the NOT SHADE flag. They already do the most damage, now they get the most armor.
    wat

Quote Originally Posted by Kinkstaah View Post
    Looking forward to seeing those "Not Enforcer" tags on the BS terminals!
    along with the "not doctor, not soldier, not enforcer" tag on corpses

Quote Originally Posted by Neista View Post
    Not just talking from personal experience but anyway...
    Had only 2 weapon updates in the last 6 runs... loot table seems very bugged
    220/26 Shade, 220/26 Enf, 220/26 Crat, 220/25 NT, 220/25 Fix, 220/23 Doc, 217/24 Trader, 214/23 Agent, 200/23 MP, 171/22 Sold, 167/21 MP, 157/21 Eng, 150/20 MA, 150/16 Keeper, 150/13 Adv, 123/2 Fixer

I think not. So what's so special about Xyphos' site that he should be immune from criticism?
    Nothing is wrong with a little constructive criticism. However, your original comment of not finding reason to give him any kudos for his efforts was a bit hostile. However, I think Vhab didn't read your reply comment to me, which agreed that his site was worth at least some kudos for his efforts. That reply nullified the hostility, for the most part at least.

As a (small time) programmer myself I find this kind of bug in particular unacceptable.
    You are receiving a free service out of the kindness of Xyphos' heart. Therefore, you have no right to complain that this unacceptable. Either find a way to be constructive or else you just look like a jerk.

Anyway, I do not care to continue this discussion anymore. I just wanted to point out why you were being attacked by the others.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast