Page 5 of 41 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Monthly Development Update - 28th February 2014

Also, way to let yourself be controlled by a few clan exploiters Funcom.

I personally think it's a good change. The current PVP game is controlled by people who use timers and all kinds of other things to get information that those of us who do not have these extensive setups have not got. That's not "skill", that's just having stuff installed. Giving that information to everyone levels the playingfield. And I can understand the epeen drop that will cause for some, as suddenly they'll no longer have that unfair advantage.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Quote Originally Posted by Nusquam View Post
    - We will disable the ability to decline inspects. We fully expect this to lead to an increase in the number of exploit reports that we receive and a decrease in the actual exploiting.
    Joel Bylos
    DUH - now that you announced it, you won't catch absolutely nobody that way!
    Exploiters ain't that dumb, they read patch notes too, lol.

If you really wanna catch them, have GMs come on at random times and inspect them without them knowing about.

So, this mandatory inspect is gonna piss off all the guys who like their privacy, cause that's all it's gonna accomplish.
    Oh, and the dude who's getting chain ganked in BS or booted from his team, because he couldn't afford that sploited 300 CC. :P

Strong work, FunCom! /sarcasm

@mastablasta: lol. scripting 101 is not "stuff installed"
    @whoeverlikes inspect enabled: "n00b, duel?" N00b is inspecting your equipment.

seriously, that is a no brainer. same thing goes for the ncu bs. not even worth talking about those things. it's so darn obvious.

- We will enable everyone to see friendly nano programs in their opponent's NCU. This is to level the playing field for people who do not have access to 3rd party programs which provide this information.
    Lol.... Oh WOW. GG Funcom. Screw banning cheaters and fixing an obvious problem, let's allow everyone to see ncu. To hell with you, evaders!
    Congratulations Exploiters. You win again.
    Vispa 220/30 Trader || Maravillosa 220/30 Enforcer || Ermosa 220/30 Fixer
    Sanadome 220/26 Nano Technician || Vispah 220/30 Adventurer || Salonter 220/30 Engineer
    Catarac 220/25 Agent ||Abejorro 216/21 Bureaucrat ||Chaparrito 170/24 Agent

Quote Originally Posted by Xootch View Post
    @mastablasta: lol. scripting 101 is not "stuff installed"
    @whoeverlikes inspect enabled: "n00b, duel?" N00b is inspecting your equipment.

seriously, that is a no brainer. same thing goes for the ncu bs. not even worth talking about those things. it's so darn obvious.
    Whatever it is is an unfair advantage making things open will make the game less hostile to players who are not in the in-crowd.

Nothing bad in letting a noob inspect your equip so you can't just instakill him. That's bad behaviour from your side if you think that's cool.

The NCU open to everyone is just regular modern game design, open up information and let people use it to their advantage. Has everyone think more.

So far noone has managed to make an argument against opening up NCU information. Would anyone care to try?
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta View Post
    The NCU open to everyone is just regular modern game design, open up information and let people use it to their advantage. Has everyone think more.

So far noone has managed to make an argument against opening up NCU information. Would anyone care to try?
    The way exploiters currently use the ncu open program. They can see everything. Limber, AMS, Dance of Fools, Evasive stance, Deceptive Stance, along with a few others, all included. I'd have no problem if it was just static buffs, but temp ones like these being seen kind of takes away the purpose to an extent. ES and DS being amongst the top of them.

Personally, the fun part about fighting an evader class is figuring out exactly which defensive perk they have up ( sometimes by the effect it makes, depending on defensive item) with a specific perk most/all classes have at least one of. Being able to see ncu right off the bat just means people will just ignore you till your defensive stuff goes away, yay for a 10m perk being on cooldown and it never doing anything because people can see it. Making things like Mongo Rage overall much stronger than they already are.

Yeah, most MMO's nowadays have some sort of tool similar, but with the state AO currently is, it just doesn't fit it and a lot of things lose purpose.
    Vispa 220/30 Trader || Maravillosa 220/30 Enforcer || Ermosa 220/30 Fixer
    Sanadome 220/26 Nano Technician || Vispah 220/30 Adventurer || Salonter 220/30 Engineer
    Catarac 220/25 Agent ||Abejorro 216/21 Bureaucrat ||Chaparrito 170/24 Agent

Why can't agents hide in the middle of combat if shades can? Agents were the master of conceal long before shade came to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Vispa View Post
    The way exploiters currently use the ncu open program. They can see everything. Limber, AMS, Dance of Fools, Evasive stance, Deceptive Stance, along with a few others, all included. I'd have no problem if it was just static buffs, but temp ones like these being seen kind of takes away the purpose to an extent. ES and DS being amongst the top of them.

Personally, the fun part about fighting an evader class is figuring out exactly which defensive perk they have up ( sometimes by the effect it makes, depending on defensive item) with a specific perk most/all classes have at least one of. Being able to see ncu right off the bat just means people will just ignore you till your defensive stuff goes away, yay for a 10m perk being on cooldown and it never doing anything because people can see it. Making things like Mongo Rage overall much stronger than they already are.

Yeah, most MMO's nowadays have some sort of tool similar, but with the state AO currently is, it just doesn't fit it and a lot of things lose purpose.
    If the abilities are visible it changes the way you use them and it changes the way you play around them.

Far as I know there's also going to be changes made to the way perks work anyway so.
    The Red Brotherhood

Whatever it is is an unfair advantage making things open will make the game less hostile to players who are not in the in-crowd.

Nothing bad in letting a noob inspect your equip so you can't just instakill him. That's bad behaviour from your side if you think that's cool.

Open NCU will change the way PVP is done. Some professions will gain from it, some will lose.
    Because I think it will be quite complex, it needs to be tested to see how much of an imbalance that is going to create.
    I have my reservations, but I will hold my judgment until then.

Very different issue with mandatory inspect function:
    Perhaps you haven't played MMOs that have inspect as a standard feature?

I have, and I assure you that in every MMO that has mandatory inspect, it is only used as a gear-check:
    Check for easy ganks in PVP, check to kick from PVM teams, check for "elite" guild membership, check for spamming "I'm better than you, noob!"
    Does any of that sound truly desirable to you?

So, there is really no benefit in having it in AO - FC's spiel about catching cheaters is a moot point.
    As someone else said, they read the patch notes too and won't get caught that way!

Unhappy customers take their money elsewhere.
    The most unpopular, hence unhappy customers making changes are:
    Rewards for sploiters in both way, NCU views and Disabling the inspect function.
    Theres other very unpopular changes, but those 2 will make people STOP playing, then STOP paying for the game.
    Look at the Hat!

what's bad behavior is seeing how your opponent is setup up before you battle him and only accept if you are sure you can win. and it is bad behaviour on your side if you think that is cool. but kudos to you trying to turn this into something bad about the one who does not inspect first.

i believe there are 10 posts at leasts in this forum alone. if you don't care to read them doesnt mean they're not there. if you don't agree with them doesn't mean they're not there. it just means you prefer to know exactly how your opponent is equipped, when his buffs run out to be able to push the buttons the right moment. that's ok, but apparently this is taking a lot of the fun (ie unknown variables) away from the game for the majority of people posting in this thread.
    Last edited by Xootch; Mar 1st, 2014 at 03:50:00.

I fully understand why people are up in arms about these. I don't disagree with some of the possible outcomes. However like i said I think we have only been shown just a glimpse of things and i'll keep the pitchfork and torch ready, but wait until more is known.

Quote Originally Posted by Vispa View Post
    If you have effects/buffs enabled and you know what to look for, for each profession... You could just look for each buff effect that happens (with a bit of time looking at each prof) and, with your brain, memorize them to see what buff/perk/proc it is.
    Characters:
    Legendfluff (with many accounts of froobs)

Froob Level 5 Collar: http://i.imgur.com/I19c92X.jpg
    Froob atrox Lv5 Collar: http://i.imgur.com/2zVqTX9.jpg

With the onset of awakened beast armor, we can now equip Alpha chest on Atrox Soldiers & Alpha Brain on Atrox Doctors.

Quote Originally Posted by Legendfluf View Post
    If you have effects/buffs enabled and you know what to look for, for each profession... You could just look for each buff effect that happens (with a bit of time looking at each prof) and, with your brain, memorize them to see what buff/perk/proc it is.
    isnt that what everyone usually does?

Quote Originally Posted by Legendfluf View Post
    We can apply the same logic here:

If you know the tactics to complete a raid and you have "trained" for it for a long time, then why doesn't the boss simply drop dead when you enter the playfield?
    Bonus points if an exploit exists to actually make that happen.

Edit: Hmm, well maybe that'll be the next hot item in the item store.
    Last edited by BytEfLUSh2; Mar 1st, 2014 at 05:22:20.

[*] Soldiers will get their one more hit healing nano properly fixed, it will provide a 10 000 HP healing, giving the soldier 7 seconds to finish his battle before his health is set to 1. This is meant to be a last resort nano formula to buy you a little more time to turn certain defeat in to a possible victory.
    So now fixing an existing bug introduced by changes you previously made is now considered a feature/replacement for removing the benefit from signet ring?
    RK2 - Pimpmyride 220 Engi!

Well, I've not seen such a badly thought up list of changes in maybe a decade.
    I mean, past directors and devs have had some stupid notions of "what will make the game better" over the years, but this list is certainly right up there in the top 5 "Head in rectum" moments of this games history.

I'm not going to get all ranty about every last little detail, but i have one or two things that i feel are worth mentioning.

firstly, this whole friendly nano's in ncu thing...
    I see alot of people getting very upset over this and from a certain point of view i understand thier reasoning.
    But, to say that it is rewarding the sploiters is unfair, at the same time, being told that its "to level the playing field" is also a bare faced lie.
    this puts both the community and the dev team at fault.
    Its far more likely that the situation is one, whereby the dev team is simply unable to figure out a reliable method to prevent this exploit and are going with the only option left available to them.
    I think we need to forgive them this once however as saying "we simply cant afford to hire someone who knows how to fix it" wouldnt look good.

next up, this whole "lets modernise AO" theme that seems to be going on right now.
    I have a simple question.....
    How many newly released "Modern MMO's" in the last, say ten years have actualy been live for longer than the dev time spent to create it in the first place?
    a small handfull and almost all of those now run on a free to play/pay to win buisness model.
    if AO is going to be going down that same path, then quite frankly, there are far better options out there.

lastly.
    It warms my heart that no matter how much hatred, vile abuse, bile and bickering that goes on in these forums, everyone still manages to rally round and agree on a subject when they are faced with monumental stupidity.....

come on, Group hug!
    Quote Originally Posted by egadsrk2 View Post
    In the case of this little drama, Party A created a situation. Party B perpetuated it with name calling. Party A finished it with violence...
    I was "party A"

My favorite part in this, as in previous monthly dev posts, is the detailed explanations given about fixing and improving the leveling experience for all players. It's obvious that AO will have a huge boost in player retention with all the many fixes being made to gameplay.

Do Ma get anything?
    RK1 - Atlantean
    Lise "Gimpeline" Everwhite - Omni - Level 220/30/70 Martial artist
    Rudolph "Nissemann" Juhl - Omni- Level 220/30/70 Engineer
    Omni-Mining
    Mary "Gimpa" Wormwood 2xx/30/xx Advy R.U.R
    Josephine "Gimpyposer" Dredd 21x/30/70 mp Omni-Pol
    Jarwar 2xx/30/xx Crat Wanderers Sanctuary
    Proud member of Leet Protection Agency

Page 5 of 41 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast