251 34.62%
  • Towerwars changes

244 33.66%
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: You decide, first edition!

Quote Originally Posted by Neista View Post
    (apartment boss anyone?)(
    yes lol
    Disclaimer: My posts should not be read by anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Macrosun View Post
    The first deliverable would be to change and improve the data used by the current NPC pathfinding, with the end result of NPCs getting stuck less (This includes pet pathing).
    *hammers vote button*

Honestly, the other options we could probably live a little longer without, but this one is a big issue for pet profs.

Tower changes come a very close second, but I couldn't vote for both. :/
    :E

Very split between these options, they are all good
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Macrosun View Post
    Note: For some reason Genele's account couldn't post a poll here, so I'm posting on her behalf.

Now that the 18.7 branch is getting really close to a “testlive” state the team has had many planning meetings for future content releases. One of the ideas that came up was letting the community choose from a short, vetted list of things we should work on next.

To make this voting meaningful, we need to deliver on these options in a timely manner; this means the projects would be relatively short and we can expect each option to take 3 - 6 months from start to going "live". We will do our best to deliver in time, but you have to take into consideration that we also have to work on 18.7, the engine, and other things at the same time. If this initiative is a success, we will try to make it something we do on a regular basis.

Note that for each option, we already have a more in-depth (longer) design, but to keep things manageable we will only present a short summary.

Option 1: New Instance
    A new high level raid instance for the Pyramid of Home which will feature two new and difficult and unique bosses and new high level loot. This instance will be a challenge for players who have seen and done it all, and is meant for level 220 players.

Option 2: Monthly Boss Events
    Design and implement one boss encounter per month. Every month would bring a new world boss with unique boss only available from the event. To receive the reward, you would simply have to join the raid, and every month would bring a different reward. These events would be of a relatively small scope since there would have to be 12 of them.

Option 3: Pathfinding
    Upgrade the pathfinding system to improve the quality of NPC pathfinding. The first deliverable would be to change and improve the data used by the current NPC pathfinding, with the end result of NPCs getting stuck less (This includes pet pathing). If the initiative is a success and this option is picked, there will be a possibility to continue improving this system in following "You decide" editions.

Option 4: New Shadowlands Mission
    Create an alternative to standard inferno missions or heckler killing. We would make a new mission type for the gardens with focus on team play. This mission should give the same reward regardless of level.
    As part of this initiative, we would also investigate if we could base the xp reward amount on the mission level and not the level of the mission roller so that the old inferno missions would be less wait and more play.

Option 5: Making changes to Towerwars
    Redesign tower mechanics. This change would affect how towers are held and captured, pvp ranges and pvp range rules in land control areas, tower health and abilities, gas cycles, and so on. The new system would give you a warning/notice of when you need to defend, instead of the very big timeframes where towers are currently open for attack.

The poll will be open for 14 days.
    Voted for option 5, and I read this as "here are 5 things in development, which would you like first" not pick one forget the rest, just a case of which one first the rest will come anyway.

And Genele and Macrosun, thank you for listening and responding like this.
    Last edited by Caloss2; Apr 8th, 2014 at 08:31:29.
    Caloss2 LVL 220 melee VANGUARD (semi retired).....Llewlyn 220/30/70 meepmeep.....Boooocal 220../30/70 Soldier.......Knack 220/30/70 Keeper.....Hiesenberg 215/xx/xx NT NERFED Neytiri1 220/30/70 Shade Knacker220/30/70Meat shield
    https://www.youtube.com/user/caloss2 for guides/walkthroughs/letsplays and all your other AO needs
    Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta
    In my special design documents that I feed to the FC devs, who are my willing slaves.

I would have liked "Option 6 : a thorough rebalancing of the professions", but since this is missing, I went for Pathfinding.

"Monthly Boss Events" : would turn out horrible, as proven by Funcom in TSW (2 months and counting of Flappy)
    "New Instance" : meh, not appealing without a proper class balance.
    "New Shadowlands Mission" : leveling is fine. If you want to do something about SL missions, fix things like "Penumbra missions are stupidly out of line" or adjust XP rewards so that you don't need a 220 puller but a new system isn't necessary in my opinion.
    "Towerwar changes" : could be cool, if professions and PvP mechanics were balanced. They are not, therefore : pass.
    No further significant work is expected to be done on this project going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Bendaar View Post
    I would have liked "Option 6 : a thorough rebalancing of the professions", but since this is missing, I went for Pathfinding
    I think that's kind of what the 18.7 patch is already. At least from all news that are posted about it. But maybe it won't be thorough enough who knows?
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

Tower war change.. if you ban mb.. otherwise.. dont bother
    For the funz....

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta View Post
    Very split between these options, they are all good
    I think they are all on the table, and I agree they are all good, we being given the option of which one first but all of them will happen in due course.
    Caloss2 LVL 220 melee VANGUARD (semi retired).....Llewlyn 220/30/70 meepmeep.....Boooocal 220../30/70 Soldier.......Knack 220/30/70 Keeper.....Hiesenberg 215/xx/xx NT NERFED Neytiri1 220/30/70 Shade Knacker220/30/70Meat shield
    https://www.youtube.com/user/caloss2 for guides/walkthroughs/letsplays and all your other AO needs
    In my special design documents that I feed to the FC devs, who are my willing slaves.

Quote Originally Posted by Tysken View Post
    Tower war change.. if you ban mb.. otherwise.. dont bother
    Why not, if the changes can negate the obvious advantage of multiboxing, a.e. rush down towers at mid-range?

Quote Originally Posted by Caloss2 View Post
    I think they are all on the table, and I agree they are all good, we being given the option of which one first but all of them will happen in due course.
    I think you are right. I have heard some talk about work ongoing on some of them previously.
    The Red Brotherhood

Option 6: Stop wasting any time on any of these things and focus all effort towards Engine/Steam Release

Quote Originally Posted by MrPete View Post
    How do i vote "focus on 18.7" ?
    The 18.7 focus is a given.

What happens is when a patch starts to get ready for testlive release (and the period after when it's prepped for live), there are gaps of time where the patch can't be worked on.

Once a build is made, it goes through several stages before finally ending in the hands of players. And then there's a bit of extra time until the bug reports start rolling in.
    If a patch was feature complete at that stage, it means there's time where there's nothing to do for that particular patch right that moment.

And those are the moments new projects for the next patch after are picked up and worked on.
    In addition to this, there are also local dependencies where certain design work depends on code features or vice versa, which means either one of them has to work on something else while their more high priority work is temporarily stalled.

tl;dr: development is pipelined and devs have multiple projects to fill the gaps when a current project is waiting on stuff.
    My posts are my own and do not reflect the views of my current nor former employers/clients

Remco "Vhab" van Oosterhout
    Former Anarchy Online Game Programmer

Live Chat Support | E-mail Support | Forum Rules | AODevs | Vha.Chat

I find it pretty sad all these "pvmers" complaining that the pvp option is likely to win.

God forbid pvp got some focus after 11 years of neglect. Let's be honest since Notum Wars expansion AO pvp has seen nothing. Where as pvm has seen expansions, countless new instances, new raids. etc etc.

Lost Eden was said to be a part pvp expansion, but yea we all know what it actually proved to be
    Instability:
    Humlebien
    Neophyte
    Whereishumle
    Callmebetty
    Humlox
    Betty
    Melankolia

This is great initiative!

I voted for monthly boss, but I suspect NW will win. Either way, anything that keeps people in the game is a win for us all

Now, please consider putting this poll on the launcher page. We forum trolls shouldn't be left to decide these important things on our own
    Talornin the cranky and rude Meta-Physicist.
    When in danger
    When in doubt
    Run in circels
    Scream and shout!

Talornin was born on Wed Dec 26 21:36:26 2001
    Talornin dinged 220/30/70 on Sat Apr 12 13:24:24 2014

Finally!

Quote Originally Posted by Doomcow View Post
    Option 6: Stop wasting any time on any of these things and focus all effort towards Engine/Steam Release
    /signed +1

FC has given us so many empty promisses and delayed many things that should have been done long time ago.
    1. New Engine ! (I do not have to explain)
    2. Rebalance ? (what happened to all proposed changes? how latest new nanos fit in ???)
    3. NPE?

As for this poll, in theory doing anything is better than doing nothing, but as FC has very limited resources the right choice of priorities is the most important thing. So for me the top 3 priorities should be the 3 I wrote above.

As for poll - I do not want to give FC any excuses like we are late with new engine because we did XXX (whatever wins the poll)!

New Instance - not bad idea but instead of making it fixed for level 220s I would rather make it scaleable with difficulty based on number of ppl in team and their level.

Monthly Boss Events - That would be a huge waste of resurces to design anything that would be only used once, not to mention the fact that whenever FC tries to create such event it always end up with gank and lag fest. Now with some multiboxers it may cause even more havoc.

Pathfinding - LOL this is something that over the years has been fixed few times already

New Shadowlands Mission - good to dream about, but not top of priority list.

Towerwars changes - First give us more details because I am afraid that those changes may make things worse instead of improving anything.
    Awikun 220/70/30 Ranged adv - my Main that I hardly ever log
    Awisha 220/70/30 Shade - Can solo 95% of all bosses
    Cratawi 200/70/30 Crat - S7/DR Solo farmer
    Awiken 220/70/30 Eng - Pvm Eng
    Nukiwa 200/70/30 NT - almost forgotten (awaiting retwink)
    Awidoc 200/70/30 Doc - 200 fun pvp twink
    Awix 200/70/30 Fix - 200 fun pvp twink
    Awienf 220/70/30 Enf - tanked every single boss (and still lives)
    Soldawi 220/70/30 Sol - Pvm Sold
    Awima 150/xx/xx Ma - best S10 MA farmer
    Doctorawi 220/70/30 - Pvm Doc
    Awienfo 200/70/30 - Atrox with Pande red belt and 2xQL300 hammers
    Macierewicz 220/70/30 - Pvm Crat
    Zlakobieta 220/70/30 - max complit +top tradeskiller

Quote Originally Posted by talornin View Post
    This is great initiative!

I voted for monthly boss, but I suspect NW will win. Either way, anything that keeps people in the game is a win for us all

Now, please consider putting this poll on the launcher page. We forum trolls shouldn't be left to decide these important things on our own

I'd say dropping a link to the poll on our respective guild forums wouldn't hurt either.

Towers ofc. The towers themselves need to be updated HP and bonus wise. And maybe put in a few new ones as well. You could also change the level ranges to add more high fields. If there is more fields than one side can feasably keep planted at tl7, then maybe it won't always be one side that is dominant and owns everything. Then both sides can be both on defence and offense.

Also make it so that if at least one tower doesn't go down in say 20 minutes.. The shield goes back up and can't be disabled for another 10 mins. That would mean that the extreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeemely slow and boring offenses would be nerfed. Defenders will replant if offenders are out for dinner/fapping etc instead of actually taking part in the battle.

Quote Originally Posted by talornin View Post
    +1 for this, if not already done.
    :E

I'm not convinced Pathfinding can be fixed in the given timeframe.

But yeah as someone who's last straw for shuffling AO from 'main MMO' to 'pokes nose in now and then' status was total burnout from the way the NW ruleset has operated since it was first introduced... well take a guess

Ophiuchus : 220/30/80 HAHA etc
    Nahuatl
    :: 220/30/80 Melee 4lyfe
    Khurkh :: 220/30/80 healtankpew
    Transcendence
    Msanthropic
    : 210/26/60 nanostab
    Spidershiva :: 165/23/42 kite? eh?
    Silentmotion
    : 150/20/42 tankthink
    The Union

Quote Originally Posted by Shalex View Post