Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Monthly Development Update -- February 26th 2013

...and sometimes you have to use a screwdriver!

I'm not kidding.
    Ghosts of Rimor
    Gorastopr 220 MA Doctor :: No pew pew. Thwack thwack.
    Goratinkr TL5 OT Hurler Factotum Engineer :: Bringin' the thunder since 2008.
    Scrubup 100 Bow Doctor :: Will she ever get out of perk reset? Stay tuned!
    Ghosts of Atlantean
    Unda TL7 MA Engineer :: Crying for more crit.
    Measles LVL1 Pistol Doctor :: It takes 2 stims to self the Expertises.

Quote Originally Posted by Le-Quack View Post
    i might be a troll

Quote Originally Posted by Esssch View Post
    The best way to do it, imo, keeping in the theme of Rubi-Ka, would be to have the grid terminals partly buried in the ground, tilted over, etc, like they've been abandoned for some time.
    Might be a nice idea for a new global research goal

Each level it gets, higher players can make use of it

Quote Originally Posted by Vanillashake View Post
    Those in favor of the removal of city whompahs should also be in favor of the removal of yalms and jetpacks. After all, thanks to flying, we're still not "lolexploring" any more than we were before. Furthermore, with how irrelevant random Rubi-ka mobs are to players nowadays, that argument is rather lackluster. This isn't 2003 anymore. Rubi-ka zones are pointless to travel through.

It's also not a matter of knowing where to jump off from SL, it's a matter of having the Nascene or Elysium garden key and using it to get back to civilization quickly.

It's nothing more than a huge, stupid, timesink, and city whompahs or grid entrances should be placed back at every city plot cluster.
    Good job on completely missing the point, lolboy. Go play Runescape or something again. You don't get it and you don't want to get it. There are plenty of changes that can be made that would change things to a better experience, but you don't want that. You want your lolbro game, and really, you can go have that in WoW something where dudebros hang out and fistbump, and convenience, gamification and a complete and utter lack of anything resembling spirit is the order of the day. Go on, you know you want that. Why are you even here?

Quote Originally Posted by Lime View Post
    There is absolutely no reason why every zone shouldn't have its own grid exit/entrance. It doesn't need to be at the most popular/used spot, but SOMETHING should exist. Why should we have to fly to Pleasant Meadows to get back to civilization from EFP or SFH?

I'm well aware there are transport beacons and such, but to argue against something like this is just arguing for its own sake.
    Yes there is, it's called a design choice for the sake of mood and novelty.

Why should you have to fly there? You shouldn't, you can just not play the game, or avoid going to places you feel are too inconvenient to you. Your outlook on this is wrong, tethered in a "LOLGOINGTOLVLLOL" mentality of the modern "MMO" gamer's idea of what a MMO should be about. I completely disagree, on every level, with your opinion.
    Last edited by Mastablasta; Mar 8th, 2013 at 10:59:41.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

idk, what the issue is anyways. I think they should put shops in the middle of nowhere then have no grid exits. Things were a bit way to easy before and now even more with the whole market in the city.

Maybe instant level 80's with a free expansion next? :P

I liked the cities, and the bar exits, better than any of the suggested alternatives for 2 reasons. The cities broke up the landscape as you ran/flew through RK. Unending countryside is boring after a while, I like to see something new on the horizon. And "Barhopping" was the best of both worlds. Since it was one-way only, you still had all the novelty and adventure of getting to a new or dangerous area, and none of the boredom of making the trek in reverse.

wth is "barhopping" what does the bar have to do with anything?
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta View Post
    wth is "barhopping" what does the bar have to do with anything?
    I believe he is referring to the teleporters that were in the cities that took you to the bars such as Baboons, Rompa, Reet's Retreat and Neuters R Us.
    Events by Jill is a premier event planning organization. We organize events such as scavenger hunts, educational seminars, tours, raids and social gatherings.

"If it's an Event by Jill.. you know it's done right!"

Quote Originally Posted by Psikie View Post
    Imagine (neutral) going to foremans, getting attacked by clan mobs at whompa, chased by bileswarms, attacked by rookie clans mobs, aggro from alpha females and wasteprowlers, then attacked by omni gaurds at foremans.
    Don't forget being ganked at 2HO by PvP title hunters.

Quote Originally Posted by jarnoxe View Post
    The cities broke up the landscape as you ran/flew through RK.
    The landscape used to have interesting things in those locations before it was filled with flat squares and repetitive buildings. Every city plot had the same 6 or 7 buildings. I'm glad they're gone. It was actually fun trying to remember how to get to grid outside Tir on a ToTW twink without being killed by clan commanders. WTB replacements for the bar woompahs though, finding a quick way back from mantis daily wasn't very fun. I'm guessing that the landscape textures and height maps will be returned to a pre-player city state during the engine update.

<role="playing mode">I'm also thinking that the bars should place their own advertising and warp points if they want customers.</role>
    Last edited by smokex; Mar 8th, 2013 at 17:02:16.
    SmokeX 210/23 Neutral Opifex MA General of Spirit Walkers
    SmokeKillsU 81/3 Neutral Opifex Agent
    UraniumX 101/2 Neutral Nanomage NT
    BruteForceX 61 Neutral Opifex Fixer
    SmokingGunsX 43/2 Neutral Solitus Soldier
    SixOfNynex 42/2 Neutral Nanomage Engineer
    Jiroieyoshi 12/2 Neutral Atrox Enforcer
    EMHMarkX 32/2 Neutral Nanomage Doctor

Good job on completely missing the point, lolboy. Go play Runescape or something again. You don't get it and you don't want to get it. There are plenty of changes that can be made that would change things to a better experience, but you don't want that. You want your lolbro game, and really, you can go have that in WoW something where dudebros hang out and fistbump, and convenience, gamification and a complete and utter lack of anything resembling spirit is the order of the day. Go on, you know you want that. Why are you even here?

Nah, I just want the game I played 2 weeks ago. Get off your high horse, you're in a VERY small ignorant minority here. The dev team is way too small to make enough significant changes to make Rubi-Ka worth it, so the LEAST they could do is simply stop taking away what IS working in their game. You're pretty dense if you think mindlessly flying across zones is any sort of spirit in the game. Come back to reality, "bro".

Delete your yalms and instagrid nanos while you're at it. Let me know how much fun you're having.

Yes there is, it's called a design choice for the sake of mood and novelty.

Why should you have to fly there? You shouldn't, you can just not play the game, or avoid going to places you feel are too inconvenient to you. Your outlook on this is wrong, tethered in a "LOLGOINGTOLVLLOL" mentality of the modern "MMO" gamer's idea of what a MMO should be about. I completely disagree, on every level, with your opinion.
    mood and novelty.... LMAO. if you don't like grid exits in all zones, you don't have to use them.
    you know some people play this game differently than you. some us are casual players lucky if we get an hour or 2 in 1 sitting.
    why should people who want some convenience, so they don't spend half the time they get to play travelling, cowtow to closed minded reasons such as mood and novelty?
    if funcom want's this game to move forward, they've got to cater to all playstyles not just a few whiny @$$ vets, with apparently way to much free time on their hands.
    Last edited by crimson; Mar 8th, 2013 at 17:33:52.
    †IC XC†
    †NI KA†

Littlepistol 200/30/52 MP
    Idontknowu 220/30/70 MP
    Kurratica 150/20/22 Crat

“Political language ...is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind.” -George Orwell

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

*snip* The cities broke up the landscape as you ran/flew through *snip*
    Problem was and is that each and every city looked like the next. If there where some variations in building styles and coloring I'd second your opinion. But they way they are imho they broke up the landscape, but to the worse.

Nah, I just want the game I played 2 weeks ago.
    Where is the point in that? There are also people who want back the game like it was <insert some number> years ago, yet they won't get it.

Get off your high horse, you're in a VERY small ignorant minority here.
    What tells you that? I might as well that you are in the minority here. The people discussing here only represent a small portion of the players and not representative.

The dev team is way too small to make enough significant changes to make Rubi-Ka worth it, so the LEAST they could do is simply stop taking away what IS working in their game.
    Again there were people that thought quite opposite. That is was not working (as intended). And it seems the dev(s) in charge of the decision where mostly of the same opinion.

You're pretty dense if you think mindlessly flying across zones is any sort of spirit in the game. Come back to reality, "bro".

Delete your yalms and instagrid nanos while you're at it. Let me know how much fun you're having.
    Yalms are an entirely different field. Also they were in the game waaaay before the cities, maybe even before anyone even had the glimpse idea of these cities.

Quote Originally Posted by crimson View Post
    mood and novelty.... LMAO. if you don't like grid exits in all zones, you don't have to use them.
    Really? Not using something that is there and having a disadvantage to those using it? Sounds very likely.

Quote Originally Posted by crimson View Post
    *snip* if funcom want's this game to move forward, they've got to cater to all playstyles not just a few whiny @$$ vets, with apparently way to much free time on their hands.
    No, they don't. Plus this isn't even remotely possible for a game "to cater to all playstyles".
    ~ HS ~
    [ Seppuku ]
    Member of the Tremor family: Misat0 :: AsukaLangley :: AyanamiRei :: Dextral :: Sinistral :: Pellaquare :: Salesman1337 :: Daemoness
    Retired: Misato Katsuragi-Messamore

[ The Foolish Testers ]
    R.I.P.: Misat0 Katsuragi :: Darkrei

Nah, I just want the game I played 2 weeks ago. Get off your high horse, you're in a VERY small ignorant minority here. The dev team is way too small to make enough significant changes to make Rubi-Ka worth it, so the LEAST they could do is simply stop taking away what IS working in their game. You're pretty dense if you think mindlessly flying across zones is any sort of spirit in the game. Come back to reality, "bro".

You are entitled to your opinion of what is needed just like others are. Just because it's something you want doesn't mean that you speak for everyone. Who's to say that you're not in the "ignorant minority"?

Everytime a change is made there is someone who doesn't like it and wants the rollback t-shirt.

FC has made lots of fixes for things that aren't broken and left lots of broken things needing fixes in the game. We can QQ all we want, doesn't mean it's going to be reversed. No need for flaming people who don't mind the loss or talking smack about the ones who are just gonna die if they don't bring it back.

No one has to agree with me anymore than I have to agree with them. I was paying and playing before LE and I'll survive without the convenience of a city whompah around every corner. I'll miss them, but there are bigger problems with AO than the fact you may have to spend a couple of more minutes traveling. In case you haven't noticed, there are some real game breakers out there.
    'The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard.' - Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Hunni View Post
    You are entitled to your opinion of what is needed just like others are. Just because it's something you want doesn't mean that you speak for everyone. Who's to say that you're not in the "ignorant minority"?

Everytime a change is made there is someone who doesn't like it and wants the rollback t-shirt.

FC has made lots of fixes for things that aren't broken and left lots of broken things needing fixes in the game. We can QQ all we want, doesn't mean it's going to be reversed. No need for flaming people who don't mind the loss or talking smack about the ones who are just gonna die if they don't bring it back.

No one has to agree with me anymore than I have to agree with them. I was paying and playing before LE and I'll survive without the convenience of a city whompah around every corner. I'll miss them, but there are bigger problems with AO than the fact you may have to spend a couple of more minutes traveling. In case you haven't noticed, there are some real game breakers out there.
    We probably could say stop firing all the programmers that know at least a tiny bit about the engine?

Seems like each time they restructure we lose most of the good programmers and once again start from scratch. Who is even left as a programmer that solely works on AO? As far as I know none.

Once again things will get delayed because the newer or new programmers and even people working on AO have no clue what their doing and not as an insult they literally have no clue because they need to go through it and learn it. Coding is sort of like an art and they have to learn the art to be able to keep going without blowing it up.

This is the main reason you guys seen most features added more tacked on features that don't seem to really fit in as well. Because they really are.

I offered to warp someone back from some Dogforsaken zone today, i've used the NT warp and the grid nanos of various profs. I have to say it was kinda cool that those nanos now have some meaning again.
    If you want contrast then go sign up for that "other" "MMO" called WoW, spend 10 minutes on a funky smelling bat and then realize that travel time in AO. is pretty much ok.
    Last edited by Notcrattey; Today at 05:51:45. Reason: Didn't actually edit it, was a mistake!

By the way, I just got the daily mission today to visit every bar that is in game. I made it to all 9 bars in under 20 minutes and all I had was my Yalm, the normal grid and woompahs. There are fairly close alternatives to the bar woompahs in many places if you just know where to look. The only terribly out of the way, time consuming areas people frequent that I've found are Perpetual Wastes (which was always a pain to get to) Smuggler's Den, Hollow Island and a few other RK raid locations in the SE corner of the main land.
    SmokeX 210/23 Neutral Opifex MA General of Spirit Walkers
    SmokeKillsU 81/3 Neutral Opifex Agent
    UraniumX 101/2 Neutral Nanomage NT
    BruteForceX 61 Neutral Opifex Fixer
    SmokingGunsX 43/2 Neutral Solitus Soldier
    SixOfNynex 42/2 Neutral Nanomage Engineer
    Jiroieyoshi 12/2 Neutral Atrox Enforcer
    EMHMarkX 32/2 Neutral Nanomage Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by Misat0 View Post
    Where is the point in that? There are also people who want back the game like it was <insert some number> years ago, yet they won't get it.
    The point is back in Runescape, as according to Mastablasta, that's where I need to go, and play a game I've never played before, because I like traveling convenience. Furthermore, you're contradicting yourself, and for that, I thank you. You're exactly right, it's not <insert some number> years ago, so we shouldn't be backpeddling the methods of travel introduced with Alien Invasion. Where is the point in that?

What tells you that? I might as well that you are in the minority here. The people discussing here only represent a small portion of the players and not representative.
    What tells YOU that? Your opinion is vastly outnumbered on the forums, and you can't honestly tell me you think there's a silent majority playing that agrees with you. The forum is filled with rustled old vets, the exact stereotype like Masta, who don't mind this change, because they never log in, and only sit in ICC when they do.

Again there were people that thought quite opposite. That is was not working (as intended). And it seems the dev(s) in charge of the decision where mostly of the same opinion.
    No. This outcome is shortsighted result of turning off the cities for fairness sake (see Genele and Ilaliya's posts on the subject) with the server merge. It's pretty easy to figure that out. Again, you can't honestly tell me you have blind faith in a lackadaisical company that has failed to deliver on promise after promise that removing whompahs was a great course of action to make Rubi-ka even remotely more interesting to players. It is a stupid, pointless, timesink, and you (and others defending it) have yet to deliver any reasons why it's not.

Yalms are an entirely different field. Also they were in the game waaaay before the cities, maybe even before anyone even had the glimpse idea of these cities.
    But it's the same train of thought. It's the exact same field. Gridding is the same thing as flying around out of reach of anything to get where you want, except one of these methods takes 20 seconds and one takes 10 minutes. In either case, you're still bypassing the zones to get to where you need to go. If you want people to relish in the so-called beauty of Rubi-ka and harness the SPIRIT! of the game, then you should be parading up and down the street for Funcom to remove Yalms and every other method of traveling convenience, and I don't see anyone doing that, which leads me to believe that a lot of you are arguing for the sake of arguing. So long as any method of expedited travel remotely exists, then people will use it to minimize the pointless time investment that is getting from old irrelevant zone to old irrelevant zone.

But hey, WHY STOP WITH PLAYER CITIES? Let's remove ALL the whompahs! Spirit of the game! Wooo!

Really? Not using something that is there and having a disadvantage to those using it? Sounds very likely.
    Really? So we should force people to waste time doing quite literally NOTHING? Sounds fun.

No, they don't. Plus this isn't even remotely possible for a game "to cater to all playstyles".
    Unless they want the game to collapse, yes they do. People cancel their subscriptions every day. The shiny server merge will eventually stop being a draw. Future financial success lies in new income. How do you think a conversation with someone considering subscribing will go when you tell them, "There used to be a player owned city here, but now it's a flat green square!"?

I liked the cities, and the bar exits, better than any of the suggested alternatives for 2 reasons. The cities broke up the landscape as you ran/flew through RK. Unending countryside is boring after a while, I like to see something new on the horizon. And "Barhopping" was the best of both worlds. Since it was one-way only, you still had all the novelty and adventure of getting to a new or dangerous area, and none of the boredom of making the trek in reverse.
    Yes, bring back 'Barhopping'. There is nothing better than calling in at Reets for a brew after running for miles n miles around the vastness of Rubi-Ka; mainly because I'm too poor to purchase a Yalm =)
    Rubi-Ka is an ideal Planet for colonisation, but its Notum will make it dangerous if it falls into the wrong hands. I fear for it. Unknown 28703AD

Talking

I'ld rather have the cities in ruin than just deleted.
    Anyway,

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Bylos a.k.a. "Nusquam"
    I think I may have given the impression that I've never played the game before, which is not the case. I've played the game to around 120 before with an Adventurer, but I was playing solo most of the time and never really became a part of the community.
    Newbie in charge? Discuss.

What tells YOU that? Your opinion is vastly outnumbered on the forums, and you can't honestly tell me you think there's a silent majority playing that agrees with you. The forum is filled with rustled old vets, the exact stereotype like Masta, who don't mind this change, because they never log in, and only sit in ICC when they do.
    I'd have to say silent majority is silent for a reason. THEY DON'T CARE EITHER WAY. FYI VETS don't need yalms we use VET beacons to get back to town if we want. Get a yalm and quit crying. Why player cities had bars whompas in the first place makes no sense, especially when they were sided with whompa to NLC or opposite faction.

But it's the same train of thought. It's the exact same field. Gridding is the same thing as flying around out of reach of anything to get where you want, except one of these methods takes 20 seconds and one takes 10 minutes. In either case, you're still bypassing the zones to get to where you need to go.
    Also FYI most vets are not concearned about getting to any rk zone because they are in Pande or LOX anyway not flying around EFP. The ones that are do it for towers and probably are very thankfull it's hard to get back to those sites and zerg them relentlessly.

You want instant transport, roll a fixer. Or pony up the money and buy some items shop grid items. No matter how much you QQ player cities with whompas AIN'T COMMING BACK. Find something else to boo hoo about please.
    ~Anyone can level, but only the wise gain experience~

*Bronto Burger, serving 10,000 high level noobs daily*

http://wolf-brigade.webs.com/

My Story

Don't feed the Mensa Tralalalala

Everyday I'm Shuffling.

I agree with vanillashake on every points, hes pretty much hit it right on the head to be honest. Really wish the whompahs at least were around for their convenience. It helped with getting around when beacons were down, most instances are done in less than 10mins
    Dysfunktion.
    Trypants.
    Setup.
    One bright day in the middle of the night,
    Two dead boys got up to fight.
    Back to back they faced each other,
    Drew their swords, and Shot each other.
    A deaf policeman heard the noise,
    He came and killed those two dead boys.
    If you don't believe this lie is true... ask the Blind Man, He saw it too.

Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast