Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Monthly Development Update -- February 26th 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta View Post
    Spend the time playing the game then there's always something you can change, look at, compare, swap out, read up on in the 30 seconds it takes to fly across a zone.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/03/12/wo...king-pandaria/ see - even the WoW makers agree that more oldschool stuff is good.
    30 seconds lol, at least be realistic, i did interception daily in avalon, it took 3.5 minutes to fly to castle grid from main otaf base, and thats only half a zone.
    now cross a whole zone and 3/4 of another and your at 10 min+ not playing the game, instead i'm just watchin scenery i've seen a million times.

WoW......lol
    †IC XC†
    †NI KA†

Littlepistol 200/30/52 MP
    Idontknowu 220/30/70 MP
    Kurratica 150/20/22 Crat

“Political language ...is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind.” -George Orwell

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by crimson View Post
    30 seconds lol, at least be realistic, i did interception daily in avalon, it took 3.5 minutes to fly to castle grid from main otaf base, and thats only half a zone.
    now cross a whole zone and 3/4 of another and your at 10 min+ not playing the game, instead i'm just watchin scenery i've seen a million times.

WoW......lol
    You're totally slow. I just flew to entrance of base from grid in 2:45 and during that time I had a talk with my orgmates. That was including the time it took me to open and use a yalmnano.

{unnecessary}

Disregarding WoW and what they made there 8 years ago when it was new is silly, and your dismissal of it should be seen as kneejerk and stupid. Especially considering how the changes you're voting for are things that that game has introduced in spades. Even pioneered.
    Last edited by Anarrina; Mar 14th, 2013 at 04:21:46.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

You're totally slow. I just flew to entrance of base from grid in 2:45 and during that time I had a talk with my orgmates. That was including the time it took me to open and use a yalmnano.

{removed}

Disregarding WoW and what they made there 8 years ago when it was new is silly, and your dismissal of it should be seen as kneejerk and stupid. Especially considering how the changes you're voting for are things that that game has introduced in spades. Even pioneered.
    What do you expect? See all recent MMORPG's. Games are made for children and casuals now. They expect to reach certain things in a certain time. Remember when people never cared to hit 200? Well now they expect to hit 200... This is just the downfall of MMORPG's and PC gaming in general.

Look At SimCity one of the few games left that should have been complex and challenging. We ended up finding out that EA faked almost 90% of the game and lied about it.

They made it for kids/casuals and unfortunately most of us were nerds who figured this out really fast. In fact it almost seem like the server issues was a cover up for how bad the game really was...

The world we live in sucks now for MMORPG Gaming
    Last edited by Anarrina; Mar 14th, 2013 at 04:21:58.

So, 6 minutes or so for a couple zones. Terrible waste of time to ponder things, I can see that. Your precious life seeping through your fingers. Better off playing Tetris or something, I can tell you that.

ponder things..... yea that's what I pay to do with my time in game. {unnecessary}

asking for travel time's to be more in line with what we had prior is NOT asking for hand holding, it's asking for the return of what was not broken to begin with, that is all, not making the AO a kiddie pool like you and the other detractor's claim.
    Last edited by Anarrina; Mar 14th, 2013 at 04:23:25.
    †IC XC†
    †NI KA†

Littlepistol 200/30/52 MP
    Idontknowu 220/30/70 MP
    Kurratica 150/20/22 Crat

“Political language ...is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind.” -George Orwell

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Not knowing what timezone you play in, but there are a plethora of fixers, some even not fake afking that will be more than happy to fgrid you for a tip.

While this may not be true next month, it definitely is at the moment.

So turn a negative into a positive by socializing with some other players to help you get to your daily faster.

Quote Originally Posted by doctorgore View Post
    Edit the garbage out of the database is step one. Look at inferno mish all that comes from it is pure garbage. Why can't halen drop ql250-ql300 miys armors? Get rid of the garbage loot.
    or Jobe clusters? like I mentioned in a different thread months ago, or both, or something useful?

They took out tokens from SL missions because of it being a 'rk thing' or something along those likes, as I recollect. . .
    How are CRU, random rk team boss loot trash and 1-2 sl trash stuffs any different?

My only hope is that they don't do a TSW story-line if AO gets a new expansion. The TSW concept of 'borrowing' from fiction, non-fiction, movies, pop-cultures, historical facts and events put into a blender and hoping that it comes out as a smooth blend of Prophet Without Honour or The Longest Journey while attracting as many customers as possible has come up short imho. I know the old saying that "If you steal from one author, it’s plagiarism; if you steal from many, it’s research." but TSW took that to another level and I would rather see Mr Tornquist, Strand, and Godager get together and get wasted at the release/launch party of Dreamfall: Chapters in 2014/2015 writing the continuation of the AO story-line on a napkin then having to rely on an excessive amount of other peoples work and references to science and sci-fi. Don't get me wrong, references to other peoples work is a must and sometimes a tribute, but TSW was just way out there... although I have to admit I'm looking forward to the Indiana Jones issue #6 being released today.

Quote Originally Posted by doctorgore View Post
    Edit the garbage out of the database is step one. Look at inferno mish all that comes from it is pure garbage. Why can't halen drop ql250-ql300 miys armors? Get rid of the garbage loot.
    Or make the "garbage" up to par with other items that are desirable.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Quote Originally Posted by Nusquam View Post
    Recently I got the opportunity to take on the mantle of Creative Director for Funcom's live titles: The Secret World, Age of Conan and Anarchy Online.
    I don't envy your task ahead. If I could give one very subjective piece of advice it would be: Stay true to the original concept of AO but don't listen to the Community, Professionals, ARKs, Events, and Players too much. They may have more experience with playing AO but it doesn't necessarily equate to what the future of AO needs (quoting Ilaliya here). If you're going to make mistakes in creative decisions make them big and grand but don't give in to the jaded grumpy veteran community of AO at the first instance.

Quote Originally Posted by FarCry View Post
    I don't envy your task ahead. If I could give one very subjective piece of advice it would be: Stay true to the original concept of AO but don't listen to the Community, Professionals, ARKs, Events, and Players too much. They may have more experience with playing AO but it doesn't necessarily equate to what the future of AO needs (quoting Ilaliya here). If you're going to make mistakes in creative decisions make them big and grand but don't give in to the jaded grumpy veteran community of AO at the first instance.
    I get what you're trying to communicate here and on many levels agree but..

The 'jaded grumpy veteran community of AO', for the most part, isn't jaded and grumpy regarding game mechanics, game lore, etc. They're jaded and grumpy due to years of being lied to regarding progression on updates for the game. Those same people are probably players that will tell you that they love the essence of what AO is/was about, want to see new players arrive regularly and are open minded to changes that would make the game challenging and adventurous again for them.

Honestly, I think it would be well served for Joel to listen to the jaded grumpy veteran community in terms of finding out what things we loved about this game and made us play it for 8-11 years. That is a rarity in MMO terms and something that shouldn't be ignored or disregarded. Yes, today we have a diff type of MMO player but some of the things that we all loved about the game.. that 'hooked us', if you will, are things that we can't find anywhere else. And I bet there are others out there that would love those same things and also be hooked.. they just don't know about the game, or can't get past the start to see what a gem it truly is.
    Events by Jill is a premier event planning organization. We organize events such as scavenger hunts, educational seminars, tours, raids and social gatherings.

"If it's an Event by Jill.. you know it's done right!"

Quote Originally Posted by Eventsbyjill View Post
    The 'jaded grumpy veteran community of AO', for the most part, isn't jaded and grumpy regarding game mechanics, game lore, etc. They're jaded and grumpy due to years of being lied to regarding progression on updates for the game. Those same people are probably players that will tell you that they love the essence of what AO is/was about, want to see new players arrive regularly and are open minded to changes that would make the game challenging and adventurous again for them.
    I agree that deadlines have not always been met. I don't necessarily agree with the rest as it's pretty much a generalization.

Honestly, I think it would be well served for Joel to listen to the jaded grumpy veteran community in terms of finding out what things we loved about this game and made us play it for 8-11 years. That is a rarity in MMO terms and something that shouldn't be ignored or disregarded.
    I'm pretty sure he will find out in no time what made people fall in love with this game in the first place. Just look at his activity on the TSW boards. He is more active than any other GD I've seen and he gives a hoot too, which in my book is ace.

Yes, today we have a diff type of MMO player but some of the things that we all loved about the game.. that 'hooked us', if you will, are things that we can't find anywhere else. And I bet there are others out there that would love those same things and also be hooked.. they just don't know about the game, or can't get past the start to see what a gem it truly is.
    I stated to stay true to the original concept of AO but basically don't let it hinder you to put forward a vision/concept/whatever for the future of AO. Make mistakes but make them big... and preferably on the test server first!
    Last edited by FarCry; Mar 14th, 2013 at 14:12:08. Reason: Edited for poor language skills.

I agree that deadlines have not always been met. I don't necessarily agree with the rest as it's pretty much a generalization.
    The statement to not listen to the jaded, grumpy vets is sorta a vague generalization to start with as the reason 'why' someone is jaded/grumpy is pretty relevant. Jaded grumpy because they hate AO's pvp system? Jaded/grumpy because they've been lied to about deadlines? Jaded/grumpy because they don't like the subscription fee? I mean, there are some legitimate reasons that people are jaded and/or grumpy so lumping them all in to one group of 'jaded/grumpy vets' and stating that not too much attention should be paid to their opinions is what I was addressing.

I guess I was trying to say that not every jaded/grumpy vet is someone not worth listening to. If that's what you were also communicating then just chalk up my post to being redundant for emphasis.

I'm pretty sure he will find out in no time what made people fall in love with this game in the first place. Just look at his activity on the TSW boards. He is more active than any other GD I've seen and he gives a hoot too, which in my book is ace.
    I don't play TSW and really have no desire to check out the forums there as I didn't care for the game when I beta tested it. What he is/was doing in TSW, if its great, is marvelous. And if what you're saying is the case then I'm sure he likes to hear the opinions of the players and that's simply what I was doing in this thread.

I stated to stay true to the original concept of AO but basically don't let it hinder you to put forward a vision/concept/whatever for the future of AO. Make mistakes but make them big... and preferably on the test server first!
    And we agree on this part, I wasn't refuting or arguing with the concept of staying true to the original concept of AO. What I was suggesting is that people that have played the game for 10years might have some words of wisdom for 'anyone' in regards to what that means to them and that those words of wisdom should be taken into consideration. People that have played a game for 10 years did so for a reason and, as with any project, it is smart of a company to do market research which includes existing customers (us) as well as potential new customers.
    Last edited by Eventsbyjill; Mar 14th, 2013 at 15:00:38.
    Events by Jill is a premier event planning organization. We organize events such as scavenger hunts, educational seminars, tours, raids and social gatherings.

snip
    If you re-read my original reply and what you initially quoted... what did I put in bold? If you actually took the time to read it we wouldn't have this discussion in the first place. You went on the super defensive for no real reason.
    Last edited by FarCry; Mar 14th, 2013 at 15:07:41.

If you re-read my original reply and what you initially quoted... what did I put in bold? If you actually took the time to read it we wouldn't have this discussion in the first place. You went on the super defensive for no real reason.
    Umm.. I wasn't on the defensive at all. I was just stating my opinion on the topic which, I'm pretty sure, I'm allowed to do here. If I mis-read something you were saying, it doesn't really matter as I wasn't painting you out to be a bad guy in any way. (And for the record, I used the term 'too much' in my reply which is a small indicator, besides the fact that I quoted you, that I took the time to read what you wrote. Please don't make ridiculous assumptions, it isn't helpful).

Most of what you said (as I read it) I agree with completely. I was simply clarifying some things regarding veteran players because, unlike you, I do feel that Joel would be wise to take what veteran players think into strong consideration. It is, I believe, important and relevant information. Obviously, as the guy in charge he can do with it what he wishes.. but nevertheless I hope that he recognizes that some members of the community are indeed jaded and/or grumpy but not allow that to cause him to disregard or overlook their opinions. They've been paying customers for many years for some very important reasons.

Why you think I was being 'super defensive' I'm not sure. There is a difference between disagreeing with someone (or not completely agreeing with them) on a topic and being defensive. Generally when people go on the defensive it is because they feel they were attacked. Nothing in your posts (til this last one) was even remotely directed at me. You were just expressing your opinion, therefore there was nothing for me to defend against.

From my vantage point, the only thing worthy of defense is the future of Anarchy Online. And, in that regard, I think almost everyone that posts on the forums is a defender
    Last edited by Eventsbyjill; Mar 14th, 2013 at 15:35:48.

Umm.. I wasn't on the defensive at all. I was just stating my opinion on the topic which, I'm pretty sure, I'm allowed to do here. If I mis-read something you were saying, it doesn't really matter as I wasn't painting you out to be a bad guy in any way. Most of what you said (as I read it) I agree with completely. I was simply clarifying some things regarding veteran players because I do feel that Joel would be wise to take what veteran players think into strong consideration. It is, I believe, important and relevant information. Obviously, as the guy in charge he can do with it what he wishes.. but nevertheless I hope that he recognizes that some members of the community are indeed jaded and/or grumpy but not allow that to cause him to disregard or overlook their opinions. They've been paying customers for many years for some very important reasons.

Why you think I was being 'super defensive' I'm not sure. As I stated in my last reply, if what I was saying was in agreement with what you were saying then I was just being redundant for emphasis then No harm.. no foul.

There's nothing or no one to defend here except the future of Anarchy Online. And, in that regard, I think almost everyone that posts on the forums is a defender
    Sigh, I never stated anything related to what your saying. He should listen to everyone but not too much. I could express it in a poem too!

The Road Not Taken

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
    And sorry I could not travel both
    And be one traveler, long I stood
    And looked down one as far as I could
    To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
    And having perhaps the better claim
    Because it was grassy and wanted wear,
    Though as for that the passing there
    Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
    In leaves no step had trodden black.
    Oh, I marked the first for another day!
    Yet knowing how way leads on to way
    I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
    Somewhere ages and ages hence:
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

Robert Frost

Sigh, I never stated anything related to what your saying. He should listen to everyone but not too much.
    Ok, and I think he should listen to the veterans quite a bit on some topics (that I already mentioned). That's all I was saying. You made a statement, I disagreed with part of it, quoted it and explained why I disagreed. That's usually how dialogue goes on the forums.

Thanks for the poem, I've always been a big fan of Robert Frost A nice read in the morning.

Ok, and I think he should listen to the veterans quite a bit on some topics (that I already mentioned). That's all I was saying. You made a statement, I disagreed with part of it, quoted it and explained why I disagreed. That's usually how dialogue goes on the forums.

Thanks for the poem, I've always been a big fan of Robert Frost A nice read in the morning.
    Most welcome, hope you have a continued great morning!

PS I never stated don't listen I said not too much, meaning go with your gut instinct sometimes, take the road less traveled.
    Last edited by FarCry; Mar 14th, 2013 at 16:36:17.

I get what you're trying to communicate here and on many levels agree but..

Honestly, I think it would be well served for Joel to listen to the jaded grumpy veteran community in terms of finding out what things we loved about this game and made us play it for 8-11 years. That is a rarity in MMO terms and something that shouldn't be ignored or disregarded. Yes, today we have a diff type of MMO player but some of the things that we all loved about the game.. that 'hooked us', if you will, are things that we can't find anywhere else. And I bet there are others out there that would love those same things and also be hooked.. they just don't know about the game, or can't get past the start to see what a gem it truly is.
    Jill - Well thought out posts. I couldn't agree with you more.

You have defined the majority of the reasons I am a member of the "jaded/grumpy" club and used much more honey than I would have with my vinegar posts.

Frustration tends to get the better of people who watch something they really care about erode before their eyes. The time has come for removal of the bandaids and the need for stitches. I've reached the place where I'm much less interested in making someone feel warm and fuzzy than I am venting my frustration.

Once again, thank you for being the reasonable grump in the room.
    Last edited by Hunni; Mar 14th, 2013 at 17:26:51. Reason: (The anal part of me couldn't take that typo.)
    'The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard.' - Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Hunni View Post
    Frustration tends to get the better of people who watch something they really care about erode before their eyes.
    I would love to hear about what has eroded.

Also, from his interview - http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/g...-New-Role.html - I'm concerned about this snippet:

Joel Bylos: Game Directors on Anarchy Online have been talking about the new engine for years. With progress looking really good, my goal is for this year to see the release of the new engine. Bundled with the new engine will be a new player experience, to encourage people trying the game for the first time to give it more of a chance.

So, for those of us who've been waiting for years for the engine that is always elusively located around the corner in the next quarter... I don't see it and can't find it in me to have any faith in the "goal".

One in a series of my jaded/grumpy/vinegar/frustration/PMS/FUncom rants.
    'The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard.' - Steven Wright

Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast