Page 8 of 30 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Monthly Development Update: March 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Phixalicious View Post
    Apparently, they plan to let fr00bs look, but not touch. Stupid in my opinion. Either give fr00bs complete access, or none at all. Since they're removing player shops along with the cities, a fr00b can't even use the terminal to see where the item for sale is and physically go to the shop to buy it. Completely worthless.
    once again. afaik fr00b toons cannot access gms currently. Am I missing something? o.0

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy View Post
    imo froobs should be thankful for any handouts they get instead of whining that it's not enough.
    I concur.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy View Post
    imo froobs should be thankful for any handouts they get instead of whining that it's not enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kauh View Post
    once again. afaik fr00b toons cannot access gms currently. Am I missing something? o.0

I concur.
    Well, then. Why should fr00bs even have mail privileges? In fact, why should there be fr00bs at all?

Oh, that's right. Fr00bs are the main reason this game existed this long.

Maybe you ought to be thankful they kept the game alive rather than whine because they want the ability to buy and sell items the same as you.

Edit: And don't even start with the current Pay to Win Global GMS. And yes, it's a Pay to Win cash shop item for fr00bs. A normal fr00b has no access at all to GMS. But another fr00b can just buy the Global GMS. Instant gameplay advantage.

Edit 2: And there's another good question. Planning on giving refunds to any fr00b who bought a Global GMS which will now be broken for them, as the new system will not allow them to buy and sell? Unless, of course, FC plans to make the new shop system Pay to Win also.
    Last edited by Phixalicious; Mar 31st, 2012 at 01:25:35.

Quote Originally Posted by Phixalicious View Post
    Well, then. Why should fr00bs even have mail privileges? In fact, why should there be fr00bs at all?

Oh, that's right. Fr00bs are the main reason this game existed this long.

Maybe you ought to be thankful they kept the game alive rather than whine because they want the ability to buy and sell items the same as you.
    So it wasn't PAID advertising and PAID subscribers that kept the game alive for PAID subscribers (and ofc froobs)?

Quote Originally Posted by Dagget View Post
    Comments:

RE: Open World Cities going bye-bye - good move, I'd prefer to see Rubi-ka in it's pristine state. While many cities had nifty locations, the instanced islands are fine and effective for the purpose they serve. I do think one or two 'mock-up' cities should be left on the planet for visual flair and to tantalize new orgs on what an AI city could look like. As for getting back to civilization quickly - please keep such 'recall stations/mini-whom-pahs limited in each zone - stuff that looks like slightly overgrown emergency teleport whom-pahs and incon****uous.

This is interesting. Perhaps even keep a city-like plot in each zone (complete with mock up HQ and such) to house the public whompahs?

In an ideal world, things would go much faster (especially engine dev & release).
    But in reality, i'll just say this : what i read here goes in the right direction.
    Go, go, go !
    Bitnykk/Bittorrent - young RL of AP & old emissary of CODE

Quote Originally Posted by cbus97 View Post
    "Cross dimensional trade" is the most exciting thing I've seen in a long time.
    ...and utterly negates the point of a "fresh start" server, if such a thing is still being considered.

And 99% of people are glad that there won't be a fresh start.

Also bump for froobs being able to buy and sellin new
    Market, just give it some meaningful limits
    On order amounts etc etc.

Can't let the unwashed rabble get too much.
    Last edited by MassDebater; Mar 31st, 2012 at 03:54:46. Reason: Steve jobs should be reincarnated and fOrced to get cancer again
    This was what I was wearing. Tell me I asked for it

Quote Originally Posted by Marinegent View Post
    Soldier reflects just flat out need to be much stronger all the time (70%~ at level 220 at all times...)
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowgod View Post
    the day our pets last forever, like yours, is the day your reqs will be lowered.
    Quote Originally Posted by Obtena View Post
    To be fair, you are lucky the mods are as forgiving as they are.
    your an idiot

Well, this is probably the most I've written on the official forums, ever!
    I've just quoted things as I've come across them so I'm hoping it's not TOO mixed up.
    And for some reason, I seem to have broken the italics function and can't turn it off at the bottom of the page lol. {fixed it! }

Quote Originally Posted by Makihran View Post
    Huge bump for an answer to this question. The explaination forever and a day to why engineer nanos are stupidly hard to cast compared to other pet professions has always been "because they don't time out." Now that that's gone, it is only right to reduce engineer nano requirements to equivalent levels.
    It's not just the casting reqs, you also PAY credits to cast an Engi pet...

Quote Originally Posted by nanoforcer View Post
    Well since pet guard pretty much works as auto attack i guess you'll need to remove that as well, no?
    I was actually thinking the same thing, particularly since player 'auto attack' is going too.

Quote Originally Posted by jarnoxe View Post
    Do have a couple of concerns. Afk /pet hunt was always a bit dangerous ("hey boss, look at the new friend I brought back") but it was incredibly useful when getting LOS would be deadly or just blow the mission. With careful timing and placement you could pick off the mobs around a boss without aggroing the boss. And it made it possible to find Shadow Cenobites with a lot more classes without an investment in Perception that is otherwise wasted in PVM. Not happy.
    ANYONE who's played a pet class will know that /pet hunt then going afk ANYWHERE is a suicide mission.
    Outdoors as soon as the pets get out of range they come back to you (usually dragging mobs).
    Indoors is no better, if they get out of range they come back (usually dragging mobs), on top of that, they attack the CLOSEST mob to them next completely ignoring corridoors and the normal way you'd follow a mission, so instead of running down the corridoor till they find a door to a mob, they will agg the closest mob in a direct line. This means they end up running half way round the mission floor, agging things on the way, get out of range, pull everything back to you.
    At the very best, the pets clear out the imediate area then wander out of range and come back to you. That is then the end of it untill you come back to the computer.
    I honestly can't see how anyone can take /pet hunt as a way to lvl whilst afk.

Originally Posted by lindelu
    The items and credits will be delivered to your in game email inbox (please note emails still times out after 2 weeks)
    Yeah, this is a definate problem, use the mail system yes, but don't stick the creds in the post as well. I'd suggest make all the shop procedes go into, well, a bank... One that you have to go pick up just like you do now with the current player shops.
    I really don't fancy putting something worth (to make the example as big as possible) 1bill credits in my shop, getting run over and hospitalised a day before it sells and finding when I come home that my 1bill procedes has gone up in smoke (it's not like I'm allowed to tell my girlfriend to check my account for me while I'm in there is it?).

Originally Posted by -Bugsplat
    People need to remember that the levels leading to 220 are not simply a means to an end.
    In some instances that's exactly what they are. If I set out to make a level 60 twink, how long should I have to play to get to level 60? Same goes for if you want to make an endgame character (ok, it shouldn't be instantanious, but still...

Quote Originally Posted by lindelu View Post
    Check out http://www.anarchy-online.com/ for screenshots of the market. Brought to you by Genele and Macrosun!
    That's... The link to the main page...
    Last edited by Snakebite; Mar 31st, 2012 at 04:09:35.
    A new light shines upon Rubi-Ka,A new channel is opened in the grid feed,
    A new Team dedicated to the distribution of knowledge is formed.
    >>> AO-Universe <<<
    For the People, By the People.

If there's no "fresh start" server, then merging the existing servers is the final nail in AO's coffin. It's basically an admission of two things:
    • that they've been hemorrhaging customers beyond the point where server populations were no longer sustainable
    • that planned balance fixes, the engine upgrade, and new content are not expected to correct the problem.

I don't see how more people playing together is going to be the final nail in the coffin, the pop will return to about 2 years ago I would assume, giving the game a another 2-4 years before it gets out of hand.

Soldier reflects just flat out need to be much stronger all the time (70%~ at level 220 at all times...)
    the day our pets last forever, like yours, is the day your reqs will be lowered.
    your an idiot

Quote Originally Posted by Snakebite View Post
    That's... The link to the main page...
    Look at the news posts.
    -Tanisthonus. 212MP. Unity of the Rose. Atlantean.

Quote Originally Posted by MassDebater View Post
    I don't see how more people playing together is going to be the final nail in the coffin, the pop will return to about 2 years ago I would assume, giving the game a another 2-4 years before it gets out of hand.
    The population will not return just because the servers merge. It will stay the same, or even decrease due to people who already play on both servers being forced to delete characters. And still does nothing to improve player retention.

I didnt say the population would return, the population will however increase to I would think 2 or so years ago, which will put us at that point as I said of having 2-4 more years of playing.

your an idiot

Quote Originally Posted by Keldros View Post
    If there's no "fresh start" server, then merging the existing servers is the final nail in AO's coffin. It's basically an admission of two things:
    • that they've been hemorrhaging customers beyond the point where server populations were no longer sustainable
    • that planned balance fixes, the engine upgrade, and new content are not expected to correct the problem.
    To me it sounded more like "move to a brand new server which we can patch easier, put more than 8 slot in account selection and sustain more ppl than 2 server population together from 5 years ago.
    Lainbr - 220/30/70 Meta-Physicist Nanomage - E / Spirals - 220/30/70 Enforcer Solitus - E / Kokusho - 201/22/55 Fixer Nanomage - Equip Soon ;o
    Traderbr - 180/0/0 Trader Nanomage - / Kaoru - 60/0/0 Meta-Physicist Nanomage - totw semitwink
    Proud veteran of Spartans

To devs: You failed redesigning MPs as NTs with pets. I want my debuffer back.
    Dreamer: Basically - I wish THIS much effort was put in to ALL profs rebalance docs.

Kintaii: Genele is more hardcore than you, your guildmates, and anyone else you've ever played with
    Anarrina: Trust me, I'm not that scary in real life.

Why not give froob accounts option to buy the new market for 5 or 10 "units" of IRL-cash?
    Ekarona 220/30 Female Solitus Engineer, long term member of Northern Star and proper "poor" gimp.
    Ekaslave 220/low Female Solitus Trader, FLAT(TM) pricing TS, almost all can do!
    Ekaros almost there/almost there too Male Solitus Martial-Artist.
    Ekadv gimp/gimp Female Opifex Adventurer

Some very nice news, thanks for all your work

Please if we are going to migrate to a new server could we get 14 character slots? Pwitty please!! With a cherry on top :P

Quote Originally Posted by rabidog View Post
    please if we are going to migrate to a new server could we get 16 character slots? Pwitty please!! With a cherry on top
    fixed!
    Ekarona 220/30 Female Solitus Engineer, long term member of Northern Star and proper "poor" gimp.
    Ekaslave 220/low Female Solitus Trader, FLAT(TM) pricing TS, almost all can do!
    Ekaros almost there/almost there too Male Solitus Martial-Artist.
    Ekadv gimp/gimp Female Opifex Adventurer

18 character slots should be enough for everyone...

Saying that though I have recently given up my personal army of 220's on RK1 and started playing on RK2. I did this to see how the social aspect differed. What I can say is that I quite like RK2, and I also quite like RK1. If anything its RK1 that is stagnating a little whereas RK2 is a little more active and a little warmer.

Based on this I feel a server merge would be a bad thing. Both servers have quite unique characteristics from the player base perspective, and while I accept a merge would increase overall player numbers playing together on one server, I'm not entirely sure the characteristics of the players would successfully merge.

One thing is for sure though, the future would be a very uncertain place to be.
    Equilibrium may refer to: The condition of a system in which all competing influences are balanced, in a wide variety of contexts
    Infinity may refer to: The state or quality of being infinite. A number greater than any assignable quantity or countable number (symbol ∞).
    Vengeance may refer to: Vengeance (concept) or revenge, a harmful action against a person or group in response to a grievance

AO Item Assistant+ :: https://sourceforge.net/projects/aoiaplus/::

~~~~~~~~~~~~ Dream ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Not a rant, not a flame. Just another perspective."

Quote Originally Posted by lindelu View Post
    Yes between servers (:
    that is the most awesome thing ever.
    OMNI-TEK

Page 8 of 30 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast